Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

abandoned train station [UDK]

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Whoa. Very well done. Vegetation and lighting are my favorite part, but all the design aspects are working well together.
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Dat lighting. This is really nice!
  • edwardsomatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This scene is absolutely stunning, so much detail. I'm annoyed at how good it is.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    AH! Everything is amazing! Your foliage is amazing! Your lighting, your textures, your everything!

EVERYTHING IS AMAZING
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    This is gorgeous, I love your work. Biggest stuff that stands out with my fresh eyes is the tiling of the grass texture and the lowpoly roughness of some of the hills near the bridge. Really beautiful
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks sick; color's are spot on
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    holly shit :D
    That's awesome!
    I'm so happy, i thought i would never see this continue...
    Just one comment, the terrain near the bridge looks a little blobby... but i suppose it's in progress...
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    Lovely job so far. Fingers crossed for a breakdown when you're done ;D
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is indeed looking really nice, great texture work. The lighting is really good too, though I'm curious if you're going to stick with this type of lighting setup or go with the warmer, sunset-type lighting from the concept?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Saw this in waywo and had to comment :)

It's an awesome scene; great execution, vivid colors and very easy to read. I really like how chaotic it looks without getting noisy.

I would suggest reducing the chromatic aberration. I feel like it clashes with an otherwise painterly feel.

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    nice, that tower looks amazing,
    what I'm missing is lots of cables but I'm quessing you're working on that since I see some pillars on the side of the tracks!
  • Budello
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    that sexy lighting!
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Is looking really great man!
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    That remind me of STALKER :D Very nice !
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I think it's just beautiful. I think filling up the right side open area with a forest will help set the city back ever further. Right now it looks to close on that straight road.
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    Really freakin amazing work! Tons and tons of variety and detail. I noticed though that in the indirect light (in the shadows for the bridge and trees) you have some pure black pieces of grass. A really easy and effective way to eliminate that issue is to put a slight emissive on your grass so that it never goes completely black. It acts almost like an environment color. Very well done so far though!
  • manjunath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi this is manjunath from india, your work looking really nice but i want to know what is your system configuration. and which software you used.
  • Alex04se
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex04se polycounter lvl 6
    Greetings to all.
    After a long break, back to work.
    Work is already in the final stage, I hope to finish it soon.

Many thanks for the comments, it is very important to me)

some screens:
    028a.jpg
    028b.jpg
    028c.jpg
    028d.jpg
    027h.jpg
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    This is more STALKER than STALKER. Amazing work.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    My heart when i see your stuff:
    Dog-is-real-tired-of-playing-with-you.gif
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Wow ! How could I have missed this thread ?
    Everything is awesome, just everything.
    But I have to say that your foliages and lighting are the things you nailed the most.
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Really great, gj.
    Curious but how much FPS ? And tris ?
    Keep up the nice work ;)
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    really impressive work, every new screenshot you put up looks even better.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    So glad you tweaked the distance of the city and dropped in the tress...Terrific!
  • Alex04se
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    FPS was not looking, but just over 30. tris approximately 4кк
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Would love to know what you used to create the textures, they look insane!
    Would love to see this in the banner, its definitely worthy
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Art quality is nothing but great here. There is no arguing that. However, I have a fundamental belief that artists as good as you - and this goes for anyone who feels they're at this level in their art ability - really need to start putting consideration in the entire package of what it is you are building, and ultimately pimping to the world. Market the artwork and the artist. There's more to it these days than simply showing a well constructed environment.

And on that note...

In my opinion, the presentation here doesn't respect the narrative you are trying to show. I get that artists want to show off what they've made - especially at Polycount, I mean that is the entire point - but at some point in your career it's time to move past that and do nothing but show images that respect the story your telling. So far we've seen too many construction shots and not enough story.

A field.
    A high angle shot of a dilapidated house.
    A few others like this.

Now, I absolutely understand you're showing these to get feedback. And hopefully it is VERY telling to you that my feedback is of this nature and not on the art itself. (As I wrote earlier, you're clearly very good at what you do.)

Many shots look like stills from a movie rather than composition with forethought. This place looks like its oozing with mystery and unfortunately we don't get to experience all of that. All we get are 'its an abandoned train station.' Fine. We can buy in to that. But show us the mystery side of it. Be smart with your shots. Make me want to click through and learn more about this space rather than showing me you're a capable artist.

Again, I get it. These are images posted to a forum for artists. I just think that artists on *this* level need to move beyond that mind set and get straight to the goods. At this point you have demonstrated you are someone who can model and texture well, and I think its time you show that you understands the entire package.

TL;DR: These are are great for what they show, but when this piece is 'done' please consider every shot as being an element of a story. I think more artists need to start considering their artwork as marketing material for themselves and round out the presentation in that way. Unfortunately the presentation of choice here is images so you're going to need to show the story you're trying to tell. Or release a well made video. Or a video game so we can experience it ourselves.

<3<3<3
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I see nothing but absolute win in here! This is some really killer work!

Couple things though, this interior is really dark, which is a shame cos geo and textures are really good, don't be afraid to place some very faint warm lights in there, I know it's exterior and there's technically no source of light other than the sun, but most engines can use a little push, fake some GI by placing some ambient lights in there, make that interior pop!

On this one, I feel the metals are shinny too much, specially the train tracks, they're almost white and it's standing out more than the pieces that should be in focus.

Another thing that applies to everything in the scene, this is personal opinion but the ammount of blacks and contrasty shadows are over "noisyfing" the scene, try and ease the image a little bit by getting rid of those really crunched blacks, reducing the contrast. You can still have a contrasty picture but making the blacks more like dark greys, all movies and most games use that technique nowadays to still have a good contrast in the shadows, but not noisy.
  • mad-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mad- polycounter lvl 4
    really great!!!
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    yeeeeea kick-ass!
  • Alex04se
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys

Finally we finished our work
    Thanks to everyone who helped, and commented on in the process, without you this work was, would be much worse.

video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTuG7ZEB_7U&quot;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTuG7ZEB_7U[/ame]

and screenshots
    028a.jpg
    028b.jpg
    028c.jpg
    028d.jpg
  • dreamer00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is insane work.. the level of detail is amazing.. well done i'm just speechless
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Great to see this finished. The exterior shots look top notch, though it might be worth dropping the saturation of the greens a little since it goes against the abandoned look and veer more towards "My Little Pony". (Sorry, crude comparison but can't think of anything else this Tuesday morning :)

The least successful shot has to be the interior view. I can see a tree growing through and damaged roof beams yet the checkered floor is untouched. There should be buckling of the underlying concrete and tiles at the base of the tree, piles of leaves collecting near the walls and not least, moss everywhere. Bring some of those elements that make the exterior shots look great inside the building - afterall the interior is now the exterior.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Hlllluuuuutthhhh

I'd say it looks like The Last of Us. Except it looks better because you aren't nearly as constrained by polycount and texture resolution. Incredible!
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Reall awesome work ! It looks really really nice !
    If I were you I would just go stronger on wind effects (+sound in the video), to make the scene less static, and have a bit more personality in the atmosphere feelings (if that means anything). But this is nitpicking, really sweet scene !
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    This is really inspiring!

Congratulations on completing it, looking forward to the next one. ;)
  • < ASH >
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    < ASH > polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work: the amount of detail and the overall look and feel of the environment are great ! Well done ! :)

However I am definitely in agreement with whw about the floor in the interior: it's pretty clear that is untouched: as he already suggested you should add some damage to it as well as some wild elements (like vines, grass and moss) from the exterior to make it more consistent with the overall scene. :)

Other than that the scene looks great !

On the other hand I kind of like the saturation of the greens in the overall scene (I think is matter of mood and personal taste): to me it gives the idea of an environment that has been "eaten" and take over by the nature. I thin in the end it depends which kind of mood you want to give to the overall scene. :)