Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - DeusEx

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
I have been working on this off and on for the last week and I think it is about time it had its own topic. After much trial and error I found that working from my own concepts did not work out too well seeing as I am not a concept artist(though it is something I would love to improve upon in the future)So I choose a concept form DeusEX Human Revolution.

LATEST UPDATE

8325668_orig.png
wt9jeg.jpg

I have most of the main bits blocked in and some textured, but I am looking for a way to spice it up and have it be more than just a boring hallway.

2je5kb6.jpg

Modular Pieces
2cn8vie.jpg

Any ideas or crits to help would be very helpful!

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're sticking to the canon, it might be worth noting that this concept is (I believe) from the engineering level of the Heng Sha superstructure, so it wouldn't have Sarif stuff in it.

Gives you a bit of leeway for things to prop it with, though. Cleaning, tools, cables, etc...

I think the key to having it look interesting will be the lighting, though. Stronger reflections, too. The floor tiles seem to be missing the laquered/clear coated look of the concept.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, i like what i see so far.

How about adding a "security office"? A big glass window, a desk, a couch, a computer, a lamp and a chair, for instance. These corridors do live off the sterility they have, but maybe some barely visible footprints on the ground to slightly break this sterility? Also some pipes and shafts on the ceiling and security cameras? Just some suggestion, off the top of my head. I don't know how close to deus ex you are trying to get, tho..

Anyway, keep at it, im looking forward to seeing your progress :)

EDIT:

I second what Talon said about the lighting
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    *double post sorry*
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    First off- great job this is seriously pimp.

Your materials, in comparison to the concept shot... they seem to be missing something and I can't quite put my finger on what it is... the concept seems to have slightly noisier materials than the ones in your scene... but it's not a fine point noise... it's kindof a splotchy noise... I'm seeing this effect on the yellow parts of the concept.

As for the dark parts, I think you need to take your charcoal greys down juuuuuuust a bit darker if you're going for a match to the concept.

If I wasn't being a nit picker, and i wasn't comparing it directly to the concept art right above it, I wouldn't have otherwise been able to offer you any advice - so great job man!!! Anxious to see it in completion!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Talon: Wow thank you! I only just got to Heng Sha in DeusEx so I have yet to get to that building. I will be on the lookout of anything I see once I get their that I can add to the scene.

@MiAlx: Will be adding Security cameras and possibly pipes. I like the idea of a security office and I may play with the idea once I get it looking pretty close to the concept.

@Pope Adam: Yeah I know what you mean, still trying to get the material down, I just moved on to texturing other things and was planning on coming back to it. I tend to get in the habit of obsessing with one thing and never finishing everything else.

@SasoChicken: Bumped up the reflection quite a bit. I wish I could blur it a little but I'm using a RTT and not quite sure how to do that in the material editor.

Changed a few things in the short time I had to work on this today(been buzy at school). One thing you all have said and im kind of worried about is lighting. It is going to make or break this scene but lighting can be pretty hard to nail down.
    10f3tap.jpg
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hey! Looking good! Is it just me or the screenshots look blurry. If not... I think I am in need of glasses asap. You might to try some post effects to add more contrast and sharpness to it. Increasing the specular on the textures a little might make it look good. My 2 cents :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post processing chain is coming up soon. I have never messed around with it so this will be a fun experience! If anyone has any lighting tips please share them. Not really sure how to go about lighting it correctly. I could use the emissive for static lighting and combine it with a point light. Or I could just use point lights but them it might not seem as natural...or I could be thinking too much into it.

So I modified the pillars to be more rounded and finished the walls on the side of the stairwell. Just need to texture the railing, trashcan, and the lights. Also adjusted the texture on the floor to hopefully be closer to the concept(added more noise to the diffuse and spec)
    2dmi5gm.jpg
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    you know that you can use height map or tessellation map for the stair, it's how mass effect game did use :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    you know that you can use height map or tessellation map for the stair, it's how mass effect game did use :)

I thought they used a special shader that their own tech artist made? That way you can have a single polygon creating the illusion of stairs with some sort of paralax mapping (not tesselation).

Still, there's no reason to do that nowadays, ME1 used a very early UE3 engine, which had some polygon limitations.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well after following the awesome tutorial to create a master material by Virtuosic and learning some about post processing this is what I have come up with so far.

osvjiw.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toying around with the idea of dust particles, what do you guys think?
    1smkp1.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Coming along nicely. I think the dust looks like more like fireflies atm, and the area seems a bit too clean to have dust floating.

Keep going!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think dust particles really fit...I mean this is a very clean location. I would expect to see those in a more grungy area, but this place looks brand new.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reduced the particles a lot and changed the color. If you guys still think its too out of place Ill take it out, I just noticed in he game there is dust particles everywhere pretty much. Just wanted to keep it in the same style. Though I could just be seeing things:poly105:

Started texturing the stairs and changed the light color but I am sure ill be fiddling with it until it's just right. After the stairs are done I need to move onto the wall on the right and create a unique texture for that to make it less repetitive and texture the lights hanging from the ceiling.

i1z9ck.jpg
    25jlc3p.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha its not nitpicky just helpful! Ill bump up the spec some more and test out the cyan color. Really is helpful though, you lose sight of what is wrong or needs changed after looking at a project for so long.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress has slowed down a bit but here is a update. Can't wait to get this done so I can start on the next project.(Something not sci-fi that's for sure, I need a break from it)
    hlzv4.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should try to go back toward the blue from the concept. Right now the yellow is throwing off the look.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    There is too much fill light - reduce some of it to bring back the contrast that is visible in the original concept. Make your light sources more obvious.
  • Mooglesarelittle
    This is looking really solid, I think you've done a really great job with the textures. Agreed that there is too much fill light though, the yellow light is kind of dominating the scene.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SasoChicken: I love sci-fi but I just don't want to be burned out on it ya know?
    @marq4porsche,Paul Pepera,Mooglesarelittle: I adjusted the lighting a bit, not quite sure how I got so far off track with the lighting compared to the concept.

yhYh6.jpg
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    compared to your reference, your scene is very warm and soft.

I would add a bit of sharpness to the render, and make the lights colder. Blue lights might be over doing it, since there is only a slight blueish hue floating around the ceiling in the reference, but definately less orange.

I might also add just the slightest hint of chromatic aberration.. not too much, just enough so most people wont even notice :D
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found a shader for sharpening the scene that I will try later but I did try out the chromatic aberration and at least the shader I found had a issue of having the screen overlay blue when looking in certain directions. If I can't figure out what is wrong with it ill have to do without it.

e2V3d.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Use spotlights and don't be afraid of blowing out the lighting. You can always tone it down later.

Decrease the amount of fog in the scene and instead rely on your lighting to give the majority of the atmosphere in the scene.

Use cooler lights and fog to try and match the concept.

Don't hide you materials behind flat lighting and fog; show 'em off with something dramatic.

w5BSr.jpg

0G5x6.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the paint over. It might take awhile but im going to try and get my lighting as close to that as possible.

Progress so far. MhivG.jpg

current lighting setup.
    DMdSs.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I am getting closer to the paint over(which I could not be more thankful for!)

H0PFm.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    This is shaping up well Biofrost. Something you could try doing is tinting the image with a slight blue like Swizzle's paintover. Dunno there's something weird with the green reminds me of toxic gas. Also something that might sell that light coming from the staircase is a volumetric light mesh (http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VolumetricLightbeamTutorial.html). In the concept the yellow on the floor has more spec than the grey next to it (hopefully I make sense haha)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I have actually been meaning to look up how to get that effect. As you said it would go perfect with the stairs and I originally wanted that effect for the overhead light. That does make sense and is quite a simple change for the spec!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get the effect up and running for the overhead lights. Currently thinking on how I will apply the same technique for the stairs.

HdMID.jpg
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I would make the reflective floor with more dirt. Logically, you may have people who walk on this hall daily so the floor get more used.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has come along really nicely :)

I'd recommend you add in the hint at this being a dog-leg in a corridor that's in the concept (you can see the wall of a corridor going off-screen to the right). It makes it a much more interesting composition than simply looking down a straight corridor, especially as the volumetric light from up the stairs (and that little arrow) lead the eye through the path of the corridor from up stairs to frame right.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @megalmn2000: Great suggestion, I will be sure to add in more dirt on my final texture pass.

@Talon: Like this?

6hUau.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice! you gonna put the orange dues ex post overlay back on it? haha
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged: haha no, I think I like it more without it.

Just some minor changes, fixed the tileing on the ceiling, textured the trash can in the background. Really unless anyone has more input I think I may be calling this one done soon. As much as I want it to be more and more awesome, there is only so much you can do with a sci-fi hallway without making it feel too cluttered.

70UZ7.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work, this sure has come together. I'd be a little bit wary of doing the same scene as someone else mainly because people easily get mixed up ^^

Be sure to put your name on it, and maybe show of the concept side by side just to show how nicely it follows the reference etc.

Good work!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty nice so far. Ithink you could work on the lighting a bit. I'd imagine there would be a bit more light bouncing about the scene with the reflective surfaces. The floor looks fine.

Compare your current one to the concept and look at the walls. I think you should try and match the amount of light on the walls. It's just looking too dark I think, considering its a high-tech buidling. I'd expect their lighting to be better.

Hope that helps.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    the scene looks really nice, i think the blue glow is too exaggerated though. it kinda feels cheap and unnatural.

also, on the concepts yellows are warmer which creates nice contrast to the cold lighting.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted the glow of the light some and tweaked the lighting some more. In case anyone is wondering the whole scene is 6107 tri's. Thanks for all the crits, it is very hard to judge your own scene when you have been staring at it for so long, you just start to hate everything about it haha.

kD6bM.jpg
    yzy9x.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow great progress so far. Totally following. keep it up
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Love this so much. You're doing so well with the lighting, I know how hard it is to get right I had a right headache with it on my last scene! Keep up the good work!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That last update really is selling the DeusEx vibe, I'm still not a fan of that reflection on the floor, those removable floor tiles look like a pretty matte material, it reminds me of a matte plastic black finish on some laptops.

Also, the back hallway stair with the blue lighting, I wish the back wall behind that was bluer, and some bluer fog.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Nice. The lighting looks much better now I think.
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    this is looking great! you've really gotten the look and feel down, but just jumping back/forth between your latest render and the original concept, the blue overhanging lights stand out too much.

maybe try cooling the ambient lights/glow to match the color of the hanging lights. but it's reeeaaaally close, so just a little nudge should nail it. i'm just looking at the more neutral areas for my comparison, btw... as in the "white" top panel on the closest corner. yours is a bit yellow, and the concept's is a bit more desaturated and slightly more blue.

keep it up! it's always the last 10% that takes 90% of the time, right? :)
    biofrost wrote: »
    wt9jeg.jpg
    biofrost wrote: »
    kD6bM.jpg
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Great work! Love the improvement on the lighting scheme you have going.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    This has come a long way biofrost, nicely done :)

I love seeing each artist's take on this concept, a cool piece to play around with for sure :)

Looking forward to more updates!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of the encouragement guys! I took a few days off workring on this scene(school work got in the way) but expect some updates in a day or two. I am thinking of adding a toolbox and maybe some tools laying round the lifted up tiles. Other than that, all I think I need to do is a final pass on the textures and tweaking the lighting a tad bit more.

@ZacD: what about the reflections bug you? Too clear or something else?

@eazy: man you are right, that last 10% lasts forever. Going to be worth it in the end though.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a break and really though about how I could make this scene more interesting. So I am in the process of adding a room to the right side make it more interesting along with this direction helper thing(saw it in the game lol) In a day or two I should have the room done, but it is mostly a block out with some lockers so not much to see now.

nLABv.jpg
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    yeaah dude! stuff's looking sweet!
  • Apel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you guys can see what I'm going for, here are a few more screens. I am trying my best to try and get the rest of the modeling done. I tend to jump back and forth between modeling and texturing and I feel it has slowed me down quite a bit during this project.

OUDLC.jpg

2ZWa7.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the texture for the side room floor. Not going to add too many more models to the room as it is already small, don't want it to feel too cramped. Also modified the hallway floor a bit.

YGRxP.jpg
    VHupS.jpg
    J5cNS.jpg