Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - DeusEx

Replies

• mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Cant help but feel like you got a little too much yellow saturation going on. Get some more blues in there!! I like the lighting you originally had before you up'ed the yellow saturation. Try and find the balance!

Looking good!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    First off I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way for this scene. Polycount is honestly one the best community I have been apart of!

I am going to be adding a few more props around the toolbox and finishing up the side room and calling it done. I will be packing up all the advice that I have gotten here and move it to the next project! So any final crits or something that just looks horrible?

0glp2.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    This looks incredible - you've done a great job! :]
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    Just did a quick paintover for ya :) Did a bunch of stuff:
    a. leveled it
    b.adjusted the bloom on those overhead lights so that they're more like the concept.
    c.changed the fog so that it resembles that cyan from the concept more.
    d.color graded the image using color balance, so that the mid tones have more cyan in them
    e.color graded the image using selective color to keep the yellows yellow.
    f. made the floor a bit more reflective like the concept
    g. added a bloom on the orange sign similar to the fluorescent lights above.
    h. changed the lighting a bit so that there were pools of light followed by pools of shadow, helping to break up the composition of the image a bit.
    i. intensified your spotlights so that there were more powerful highlights.

Hope this helps, enjoy!
    deusexpaintover_01.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lincoln Wow thank you for the awesome paintover! I really love what you did with the lighting so there are darker spots in between. I'm trying to get that same effect in UDK right now. Thank you again, this really helps out a lot.

@Jessica Thank you! I am constantly amazed by your work so I'm really glad you like it..

Feels like a bolt of creativity struck me so I think I can get this done soon!
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if I am completely wrong since noone has mentioned it, however I can only feel that I should point it out just incase :).

To me personally, the hand rails by the stairs look too low. The one lowest looks like it would hit your knee if you were next to it.

Asside from that I am massively impressed by this. Specially your floor textures and how the lighting is, to me one of the best types of scenes I have seen :).
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    l.croxton wrote: »
    I don't know if I am completely wrong since noone has mentioned it, however I can only feel that I should point it out just incase :).

To me personally, the hand rails by the stairs look too low. The one lowest looks like it would hit your knee if you were next to it.

Asside from that I am massively impressed by this. Specially your floor textures and how the lighting is, to me one of the best types of scenes I have seen :).

The yellow ones (first page post) look alright but those blue ones I mean. However it could just be the angle :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the help of choldenand ZacD I was able to get a more metal look on the floor(edge spec got tweaked a lot) and the black areas no longer reflect.
    YdF8L.jpg
    Also getting close to some awesome lighting.
    rmiCc.jpg

Once I finish up everything for the hallway I have some some texturing to do in the other room!
  • Marchwarden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting is getting better now that there are light/shadow contrasts. It's becoming too greenish yellow again, though; I liked the blue.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Loving the progress on this thread! Keep up the great work Biofrost!
  • lordsarum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice man, great stuff
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    BLOOOOM! Love it. Tons of progress, heading in the right direction. MORE!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mospheric,lordsarum,POFFINGTON: Thanks for the encouragement!
    Can anyone spot the scrubs reference?

2PEdw.jpg

Tdx1B.jpg

PctiJ.jpg

Once I am done with this scene I would like to do a break down over everything. I learned a lot working on this scene and hopefully someone else can learn from the mistakes I made on this scene.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    nice, current colors work well and certainly don't feel tinted.
    it's pretty dark though. on my lcd there's lots of pure black places, it's way darker than on earlier shots.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Hum, I think it's a bit dark, we don't see a lot of thoses details and shapes. Maybe more shine?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the brightness of the overall scene. Next up I think Ill make the hand rails a bit taller and unwrap the last few objects and wrap this thing up(then start the darksiders 2 contest!)

gLTHE.jpg
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only critique I have is that the fluorescent lights (?) are really over exposed. They're blindingly bright, but not in the reflection map, and aren't giving off that strong of a light. Seems a bit off-putting to me. Really like the atmosphere towards the back, gives it an interesting feel.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    adding on to Daelus' comment, You could model the light properly, with maybe 2 fluorescent light tubes inside a seethrough glass/plastic case. That way the flourescent lights could be overexposed as they should be, but the whole lamp wouldnt look like a lazer beam.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Daelus Yeah it bugs me too but for some reason the RTT does not show any bloom. I am not sure if there is a fix for this or not.

@Olli. I actually have two light tubes in there now but I will model a glass case to go around it.

If anyone knows if it is possible to have bloom show up in the RTT,I would be very thankful. I can't seem to find an answer or even anything about bloom in the RTT.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no update. After being quite frusterated because the side room I added on never quite fit together with the rest of my pieces(I hid a lot of holes) I re did most of the geometry to snap together better. Also the roof has its own unique texture and a new tileing wall texture. Stairs also where raised to be closer to the concepts.

If you can tell I am going in a new direction with the scene. Now it is more along the lines that this place has seen some action and it is up to the repair man to fix everything in its wake. Soon to be added is glass scattered about the floor, burn marks from explosions and bullet holes.

BEwS8.jpg
    aX12X.jpg
    h1fO8.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work so far :) looking forward to seeing more.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chrisradsby Thank you! Every bit of encouragement helps!

I have a list of eveything that needs to be done to finish up this scene. As I found out lists help!Just wish I had realized this earlier. :D

I need to

Unwrap/Texture Wall props
    Model/Unwrap/Texture celling pipes
    Broken glass on the floor
    Texture side room props
    Texture side room roof
    Texture another floor
    Burn/Bullet decals
    Blood decals?

This is a prop to help break up some of the wall segments, I think I might need to change up the color on them though. 5UlCY.jpg
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure that vent works. color makes me stare at it, the normals and edges make me sad too :(

the rest of it looks nice though.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I am glad to say it but I really am done with this scene now. A huge thank you to everyone who helped! While I wish I had more time I need to move on and work on my senior project for school.

I learned so much over the past few months working on this and couldn't have done it without the help of Polycount!

Any last crits are welcome but I won't be able to implement them. Maybe after my senior project is done I will be able to come back to this scene and re do it from the ground up.

In a few days I plan on writing a breakdown over everything about this scene, all the pitfalls and everything I did get right. Hopefully others will be able to learn from the mistakes I made along the way!

27BTy.jpg
    xqCWW.jpg
    D10eN.jpg
    u9cgR.jpg
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! Such a big difference from the start of the project. Your determination and patience shows. Can't wait to see what you do next!
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    well done, sir! everything came together really well, and your final presentation looks great! best of luck on your senior project!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hate to bump this old topic but I made some changes to the scene as I am prepping my portfolio to send off to a few studios.

Would love some feedback on the changes.
    rNdxI.jpg
    uK7bz.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Too yellow, and too dark. You don't want to hide the detail you've got in there. I preferred what you had before when I commented last to be honest.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the honesty, I wanted to have a different take on it by having natural light fill the hallway. If i brighten it up a bit more I could have both versions showing one in the morning with the lights off and one later with the lights on and the door closed at the top of the stairs.

EDIT:Yeah the original lighting shows off the DX 11 image based reflections better.

VviUB.jpg

qIvTW.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    better but the shadows are still rather heavy, like there seems to be no light reflected off surfaces onto other surfaces. Also make your text a more subtle grey because it just catches the eye too much and makes the environment look worse. Its a great environment, certainly as cool if not better than what I saw in deus ex.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    the area to the right side of 01 panel's reflection is way too dark at the moment.
    it creates a very clear vertical line of high contrast and eyes gravitate there.

i kinda like the natural light on stairs here:
    http://i.imgur.com/rNdxI.jpg

general lighting also seems much less messy on it. same goes for older versions from March.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    just had a root through this post it looks awesome but i think your lighting could be tweaked a bit. When you had said it was done it looked quality but it looks like you have over thought it. Less is more sometimes.

Try bumping up the global illumination or diffuse to make the shadows a little less dark. My friend who does film editing and all that jazz said that your eyes will always look towards where the main source of light is coming from. In this case i cant help looking at the light hanging from the ceiling so maybe tone that down a little bit. (sounds well nit picky but its just what i think)

Looks amazing though am playin through Deus X at the minute and i totally dig this scene
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input,, ill make those final changes.

@Benjam: your right Less is more, I just had a mini panic attack since I want my portfolio to be as best as it can be right now.I just gotta learn to leave whats done done.