Home General Discussion

What Do I Do?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
Alright, so there's this dude, my moms new "friend" and he's a "computer guy" right? So my mom tells him that I built my own computer (which I did, no big deal, its not hard) and that I built a "game" from scratch on my own, which was just my first level I made using UDK and only UDK assets with no game play whatsoever) So this guy comes up to me, and is telling me all this dumb stuff, like the following:
"Have you ever heard of pirate bay? You can blah blah blah"

"Did you know that because you don't have any virus protection, you probably have like a billion junk files on your computer slowing it down? blab bla bla" (I'm not dumb, I don't get viruses and I clean my computer often.)

"Hey man, go to X website and download Y program so you can do Z, its really cool!!!1111one"

He also keeps bragging about how he writes banners and backgrounds in HTML for websites like my space and my yearbook. And from what I've heard, HTML literally takes like a weekend to learn.

I'm not that guy to tell people to screw off I know what I'm doing but like.....screw off, I know what I'm doing you know? I know he just trying to be the cool guy or whatever but he didn't even bother to ask what I knew before he started rambling about what I "should" do. What should I do about this dude?

P.S I just needed to vent, sorry. =p

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I would just start telling him about all the cool stuff that you do. Especially using as much technical terms as possible, without explanation ofcourse. He's a "computer guy" afterall, he knows this stuff, right? :poly130:
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    HAHAHAHHAA. I laughed so hard after reading that because of that face at the end. hehehe.
    I will next time. I'll be all "You see you open this program autodesk three dee studio max, and start manipulating polygons and vertices to achieve your desired shape and design relative to balbalb. Add some more polygonspoly128.gif to define your creation balbalablab. use sub divisions blbalbalalab beware not to allow to many iterations. depending on your processing power blablabalbablabalbal!:poly130:
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    And then start going into materials.:poly140:
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Explain to him what shaders are.

However, it sounds more like he's trying too hard to impress you, considering he's your new...'friend', and very likely one of those guys that has 'old' ideas on how to impress kids (lets admit, some people think lifting up their kids on their shoulders and going neooown, when their kids are 25+ is still 'cool').

He could be simply hoping that if he impresses you enough, you'll like him. Again, total shot in the dark, can't really say since I'm not there, but generally, when he's talking does he stop occasionally to hear your input and generally face your direction when talking? Also, does he stand up strict right when next to you, or does he slouch?
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @ace nooope just keeps on goin. hell try tho. hell be like "so what do u do." *I start to open up UDK* "cuz I do this let me show you my website" We never get to UDK

@dustin but I thought I could talk about whatever here. =(
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    PC isn't your personal blog. Less complaining, more art.

Agreed. An adult should know how to handle this situation with common sense (maybe you aren't one yet?).

This forum title should be changed to "General Bullshit" instead of General Discussion lately. There have been so many dumb threads the past few weeks.

vv- ow. nice one.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know, this seems like a general topic of discussion, and this is a forum called general discussion.

ceebee wrote: »
    Agreed. An adult should know how to handle this situation with common sense (maybe you aren't one yet?).

Common sense? In what way? This situation could be handled in any variety of ways.

Your comment about questioning if he is an adult or not makes you look like the juvenile one in this instance, to be completely honest.

He is just asking for the perspectives of others, who may have similar experiences. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Oh, and to be honest OP.... these days, viruses are made to farm data and operate without you even knowing there is anything there. I can guarantee you that if you did a virus search with an up to date virus program, that you would find at least a couple viruses.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @ceebee jeez man sorry. I don't wanna make any enemies. I just wanted to start up somethin to talk about and laugh about in the general section. my b. = (

@super happy HAHAHA! that shouldn't be funny but im laughing. although murdering him might not be enough. O_O
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    if he just keeps rambling just pointedly say something like "Yes I know what you do, perhaps you'd like to see what I do." or "I thought we were having a conversation? That requires you being quiet so I can talk too."
    Or something that will get through to him that he needs to shut up for a bit.

Or read up just a tiny bit on actual web tech and quiz him to see what he really knows. Could be he does know his stuff, could be he doesn't.
    Ask if he thinks that HTML5 will replace Flash entirely, and the merits of Javascript vs Actionscript. He does banners so it should be somewhere near his expertise if he takes his job seriously.
  • pior
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    arent "computer guys" those qho ask you what http or burnproof means just to check your "smart enough" to get talked to?
    i would tell him that its main prupose is to satisfy your mom and talk alot of crap about the vagina
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    why do these posts get started 90% by people with join date Apr 2011 ?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Johny wrote: »

y, this really needs to stop
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin

This is why:

nmkSP.jpg

I totally agree... PC (or GD in general I suppose rather than PC as a whole) has gone downhill a LOT in the last year or so. I've seen more lolcats in GD in the last 6 months than I ever want to see in my life.

I know my join date says Jun, but I've been here a while longer.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Quit trying to ruin your Mom's sexy time, make too much noise and it could well be the orphanage.

also quit posting this shit on polycount.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Tell your mum he touched you.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    and that you liked it
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Tell your mum he touched you.

+1
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Last few posts in this thread are gold :D
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    RexM wrote: »
    I don't know, this seems like a general topic of discussion, and this is a forum called general discussion.

You probably missed this sticky at the top:

The Polycount Forum is not your "blog".

What we mean by this, is please don't create mindless threads that is off-topic to the Polycount Community.

If you have a topic of reasonable discussion to post, then by all means, please post away and let the intelligent discussion begin. However, we do not want to see random posts of "I ate cookies today" or "My car is blue", etc. etc. Even within the General Discussions forum, there is no place on Polycount for such threads. They provide no topic for discussion and are generally useless and become filled with useless replies.

"More art, less words" is a good mantra to go by when considering yourself a contributing member of the Polycount community.

If you find something you find just outrageously hilarious on the web, by all means, post it in the 'Thread of Awesomeness'. Other than that, pass it around in instant messengers and emails and keep it off of the boards.

We generally hand out Warning Infractions for such threads, so please think about what it is you'd like to post, and how it will benefit a community of videogame artists.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    alright alright I get it. I wont post dumb shit any more.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    We make art but post dumb funny shit,oh well.

The question is.. What's the ratio? :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    if you don't like our humor...move on. Simple as that. We make art but post dumb funny shit,oh well.

Oh sorry, forgive me for expecting a game art/games industry forum to be about... games and game art.
    Rai wrote: »

Exactly.

polychan.com
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQkU6fHP0fM[/ame]
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    if you don't like our humor...move on. Simple as that. We make art but post dumb funny shit,oh well.

I find it funny you always speak as "We" on here seeing all you do is troll General Discussions and make very little constructive art/feedback.

You dont have the right to speak for everyone here when your name is Hboybowen :P

It is true that lately GD and even Pimping now are less and less serious about game art.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    Have you showed him your penis? That would probably do the trick. If it swings the other way well hell go for it, variety is the spice of life after all.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I find it funny that this discussion is in this thread but not ones such as the BEER! one. True that other topic is more interesting but still, it would be classed as off-topic and/or mindless. I just dunno if you guys want the rule that badly or if you just want to post about it when you see topics you personally don't like.

With that said, I'm off to post about my favourite beers. :thumbup:
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8

Cartman:
    You have to be convincing when calling the police, you have to be like (whining) My parents 'molestered' me.
    Kyle: (angrily) My parents 'molestered' me!
    Cartman: No but you've got to cry like this...(sobbing) My parents... 'molestered' me. And then they will say, was it a good touch or a bad touch and you say, it was a good touch... no wait... it was a bad touch.
    Kyle: What's bad touch?
    Cartman: Something about a swimsuit, I can't remember. But you definitely answer bad touch.
    Kyle: Ok. 'Molestered', bad touch.
    Cartman: And cry.
    Kyle: (cries)
    Cartman: Oh, he's ready.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Rai wrote: »

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Another forum I've been on had a simple solution.

They created a 'Wasteland' folder where mods can choose to send un-related gameart topics to.
    They survive for 5 days in Wasteland(where people , if they choose to, can continue discussions) and then are auto-deleted.

When people start seeing their topics get sent to wasteland it becomes a learning tool, similar to negative reinforcement.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Smile and Nod.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    PC isn't your personal blog. Less complaining, more art.

Seriously.
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    interesting how GA and PC are turning recently,
    It feels like a lot of great people stopped posting too
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15

They created a 'Wasteland' folder where mods can choose to send un-related gameart topics to.
    They survive for 5 days in Wasteland(where people , if they choose to, can continue discussions) and then are auto-deleted.

When people start seeing their topics get sent to wasteland it becomes a learning tool, similar to negative reinforcement.

Something like this may help quite a bit.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy Batman on a gasoline tank full of Motor Oil being splashed on my bare young naked body Batman!

It's becoming TF2 gone F2P all over again!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17

I would love to see this happen here. That might would be a good step in turning the tide of shit (anti-copyright threads, blog-posts, GA-style bullshit). Unfortunately, it would only go so far to curb the off-topic spamming we get, too.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    I would love to see this happen here. That might would be a good step in turning the tide of shit (anti-copyright threads, blog-posts, GA-style bullshit). Unfortunately, it would only go so far to curb the off-topic spamming we get, too.

For those people that ONLY post, this would do alot of curbing...not everyone is willing to start a thread, and many of us just like hanging out in 2 places: Tech Talk and General Dis.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously.
    Yea seriously. Less chat more splat.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    You probably missed this sticky at the top:

That rule is never enforced to be honest.

When it IS enforced, it's always the droves of people who dislike one certain topic even though they participate or even post new topics that are just as bad.

There's nothing wrong with that, though. I think it tightens the sense of community around here.

Here's what I think the useless posts on GD are. It's too subjective, plenty of people think it is a fine thread most likely, however it fits the criteria of the rule that was posted.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84478

Wait.... that's the only one on the first page. GD is doing way better than most of you make it seem.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    What are you talking about?

Point to some threads on the current GD page that you think are unnecessary or irrelevant? (Anyone)

Points at this thread.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you talking about?

Point to some threads (other than this one) on the current GD page that you think are unnecessary or irrelevant? (Anyone)
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85969

This was a good one.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You continue to make as little sense as ever.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    you guys can stop anytime now. I said I was sorry. just drop it and let this thread die.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    TeeJay wrote: »
    This is why:

nmkSP.jpg

I totally agree... PC (or GD in general I suppose rather than PC as a whole) has gone downhill a LOT in the last year or so. I've seen more lolcats in GD in the last 6 months than I ever want to see in my life.

I know my join date says Jun, but I've been here a while longer.

Should put in some sorta system that only lets people post based on how much art they post.. that would cut out 80% of the bullshit comments/threads here. That and newbs getting 1k post in 6 months. :)

and if your balls haven't dropped then you can't even get membership *ladies are exempt*
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    everyone should just stop being a douche...how does that sound.

1299.gif

You make stupid threads, you get stupid responses.

This is just giving me a raging one to sculpt.
    *Slowly backs out of thread*
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was pointing out that one thread asks a question about something completely logical, i.e. whether or not people care about different parts of a character having severely different geometric density in contrast to a thread which fundamentally makes absolutely no logical sense, i.e. "Do I need to know anything about anatomy in order to build something that...entirely revolves around anatomy."

One thread was flamed, the other was not. It makes all the sense in the world for me to call that into question in this context.

Point being, whether or not people complain about a thread's existence has less to do with its validity, but mor to do with whether or not one person decides to take the initiative and complain about, and absolutely everything to do with basic psychology.
    You're not the victim of some double standard or mob mentality. Your post was vague and had no discernible point, like you typed it up while you got stoned and looked at some wireframes and found enlightenment that no one else seemed to get. I'd be shocked if anyone in that thread had any idea what the hell you were talking about.

The thread you linked on the other hand was posted by a guy asking a question with a painfully obvious answer but it was a question people understood.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    oobersli wrote: »
    Should put in some sorta system that only lets people post based on how much art they post.. that would cut out 80% of the bullshit comments/threads here. That and newbs getting 1k post in 6 months. :)

and if your balls haven't dropped then you can't even get membership *ladies are exempt*
    If this happened P&P would be filled with shit.
    people just need to grow the fuck up.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bear asked me nicely to not post any cats in this thread.

:(