Home General Discussion

The Amazing Spiderman (Movie)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
First picture of Andrew Garfield released

http://io9.com/5732980/first-look-at-andrew-garfield-in-his-spider+man-suit

Thoughts? I think it's a bit too busy for the design but if you notice....actual web shooters. Looks like they're getting rid of the bio shits.

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm.. I love Spiderman and well, most of Marvel but I'm still incredibly queasy about the idea of doing a reboot already. . . and not only that. . . the fact that Sony still holds the rights to the films. I really wish Marvel would reclaim the rights to Spidy and the X-men, but once again...you never know. I DO really like Andrew Garfield and thought he was great in Imaginarium and Social Network, amd I do think Emma Stone is charming and great and a total babe, so you never know...I guess. As long as they make Spider Man sassier than the last version I will be happier, I guess.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty cool. So is this a complete reboot of the series? Are we going to see him become Spiderman in the first movie?

BTW, there's a new shot of the new Captain America too.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Which villain scratches Spidey? (Cap Looks good though)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    BTW, there's a new shot of the new Captain America too.

That....is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I wish the shield was this one, though.
    cap_quote.JPG
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    captain america looks fucking awesome.

spiderman looks cool, *shrug* not feeling the kids hair though. Suit looks rad.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    maybe he's out of webs?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I think Chris Evans was a bad choice for Captain America. He's too playboy for my taste, too teenage heart throb. Nathan Fillion would have been a great choice for the Cap though.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    praetus wrote: »
    maybe he's out of webs?

and he missed the bus. That must explain his "hulk angry" face.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    greevar wrote: »
    I think Chris Evans was a bad choice for Captain America. He's too playboy for my taste, too teenage heart throb. Nathan Fillion would have been a great choice for the Cap though.

I dunno he seems like a skinny nerd to me. Which is great. Cap's costume is awesome. Way Better than Thor's. I love they went with the more Ultimates type design with cap.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    greevar wrote: »

Agreed, he's already been a bunch of other superheroes.. :/
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I dunno. I had a bunch of doubts about Evans until I saw him in costume. Also, he bulked up a shit ton unlike fucking Topher Grace as the skinniest Eddie Brock ever. I really like Nathan Filion but honestly, as Capn America? I don't know if I see that. As Drake from uncharted, hells yes.

Back to Spiderman though, I'm a big fan of the Ultimate universe comics and to me this just seems to nail the style for me. Yeah he looks kind of emo but you know what? He is an emo as fuck guy when he's Peter Parker. His entire world is his parents are dead, the one father figure he had died because of shitty choices he made, and most his friends turn villain or die. When he's in costume it's his one escape and people still shit talk him in the cities largest paper. And the movie takes place when he is still in high school so add to that.

I just really hope we don;t have to watch another green goblin origin story. In a way I don't mind the idea of reboots but I don't want to see the exact same villain. Good example being the latest hulk. Origin in the opening credits. Yes please.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    But but but... Praetus! What about the people who are completely unaware of spiderman and how he became spiderman??

/sarcasm
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    they can die in a fire.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This dude is too tall/handsome to play Peter Parker. He's like...6'1. Parker should be more around 5'8, and nerdier.

Also, I don't think the series really needed to be rebooted already. Just wrapped up with a different director & great screenplay. Plus, maybe they could kill Kirsten Dunst a 4th one.

Anyway...hopefully its cool. Cap looks alright, Thor still looks like crap.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Also, I don't think the series really needed to be rebooted already.

the only reason they're doing it is bc SONY loses the rights to spidey this year, so they had to reboot and make some loot real quick like.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I dunno. I had a bunch of doubts about Evans until I saw him in costume. Also, he bulked up a shit ton unlike fucking Topher Grace as the skinniest Eddie Brock ever. I really like Nathan Filion but honestly, as Capn America? I don't know if I see that. As Drake from uncharted, hells yes.

Back to Spiderman though, I'm a big fan of the Ultimate universe comics and to me this just seems to nail the style for me. Yeah he looks kind of emo but you know what? He is an emo as fuck guy when he's Peter Parker. His entire world is his parents are dead, the one father figure he had died because of shitty choices he made, and most his friends turn villain or die. When he's in costume it's his one escape and people still shit talk him in the cities largest paper. And the movie takes place when he is still in high school so add to that.

I just really hope we don;t have to watch another green goblin origin story. In a way I don't mind the idea of reboots but I don't want to see the exact same villain. Good example being the latest hulk. Origin in the opening credits. Yes please.

wat? =\
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    "wat" as to which part? There's three paragraphs there.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i have no problem with someone playing multiple super heroes. i do have a problem with one actor playing multiple heroes from the same universe.

playing johnny (fantastic four) AND cap'n america is just asking for trouble down the line.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I hope Caps wearing a bullet proof vest this time...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    an btw since when does spiderman walk anywhere?

Since when does he walk, with his mask off, but his costume in full display. He has a backpack on, like he's going to school.

The only thing I don't like about the Capt uniform, is I thought those were suspenders in the comic, but the costume looks like they are just lines in the jacket :/
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    notman wrote: »
    Since when does he walk, with his mask off, but his costume in full display./

Ha, apparently you haven't seen the recent movies.:poly124:

Majority of early spiderman was in high school, so backpack makes sense to me.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Gahh, they had a good thing with Toby as Spiderman. Was really starting to grow on me, even though the dance in 3 was abit weird.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, apparently you haven't seen the recent movies.:poly124:

Majority of early spiderman was in high school, so backpack makes sense to me.

Yeah, a back pack makes sense, I just meant, it looks like he's going to school in his spidey outfit. Like his laundry isn't done, and that's all he had to wear.

In the newer movies, he usually had the mask taken off, or torn, in battle. Not, hey, I'm spidey, walking to school. Plus, any points based on Spiderman 3 are automatically nullified, because that movie doesn't exist to me.

None of this is to say that this new movie will suck. I'll probably still be sitting in the theater on opening weekend. Just saying, the image has some oddities.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    dunno the pose makes me think he is thinking"wtf did I get myself into"
    Isnt that a good thing? In my opinion Spiderman has always been about a guy with too much shit going on that intertwines with his superhero alter-ego's actions.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    whats up with edwardifying icons of times ? they did the same with dante, now spidey too ? god.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, am I the only one who thinks Kirsten Dunst is a total babe?

She was a blood-sucking vamp too, gotta remember that.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Shes ugly as something very ugly.

Also wasn't she like, 8 in that film, Gary...? :p

As for the pic, I'm just not feeling it. The only pluses are the actual web shooters are made and not genetic, which is a step in the right direction, and Emma Stone who is hot in pretty much anything, but everything else... I just get this huge "WHY?" in the back of my head? I know Spidey 3 was dire awful, but it didn't need a reboot. Even if they had to lose Tobey, who cares? The guy was good, but J.K. Simmons was the star of the show, and that was about as perfect casting they could get... This whole thing screams "Hey we Twilight and thats pretty big with the teens ay so lets do that but with Spidey!".

Joy.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, am I the only one who thinks Kirsten Dunst is a total babe?

She was a blood-sucking vamp too, gotta remember that.

She's hit or miss with me. Sometimes she looks good, but most times, her face looks oddly proportioned and her teeth are strange looking. Her body is nice though.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's actually her face that I find most attractive. Maybe I have a weird-face fetish?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I assume the new movie is due to the Marvel/Disney teamup. They're trying to buy back all their IPs from various companies and if those companies aren't doing things with the franchises then they lose the right after some time. Same reason Fox has announced they're going to reboot the Fantastic Four.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    I hope they surprise us at the end of this movie and have Tony Stark meet with him after the credits. Have spider man in the Avengers! THAT WOULD BE EPIC!!!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiderman can't be in the Avengers, Sony has the rights to the character Spiderman in film, and the Avengers is a Marvel Studio project. So we will see none of that in the non Marvel Studio owned products, ie: Fantastic 4, X Men, Spiderman, and whatever else Sony and Fox have their grubby little hands on.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    "wat" as to which part? There's three paragraphs there.

Are you seriously expecting green goblin story? Actually it happened in the third part I believe when his son found out his hideout and he modified the costume to have revenge. I think.

But a solo origins of the green goblin are far out of the movie scenes, so I dont see them happening.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    notman wrote: »
    She's hit or miss with me. Sometimes she looks good, but most times, her face looks oddly proportioned and her teeth are strange looking.

I agree with this, but I wouldn't call her "ugly". In fact there are very few people who'd I'd consider to be "ugly", that's quite a strong word to use.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    dunst has like gremlin teeth - ugh

*shivers
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    This whole thing screams "Hey we Twilight and thats pretty big with the teens ay so lets do that but with Spidey!".

lol what the hell are you talking about?

did i miss a link somewhere in this thread?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    ^ yeah, that kind of confused me too. Not everything that is moody is suddenly Twilight. Unless he's fighting Morbius is Seattle.

"I know what you are."

"Say it...out loud."

"....Spiderman."
  • charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    I would like to see Kraven and/or Chameleon. I remember having some comics with those 2 teaming up against Spidey.

Its gonna be a long wait, hope they will post something new soon!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    It's actually her face that I find most attractive. Maybe I have a weird-face fetish?

A six year-old with a weird face-fetish you mean :P

I think she's pretty plain looking myself.(since she turned legal I mean)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I really dont like the costume. Web shooters are very cool, though.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    1st trailer is up for it. looks interesting, more serious tone maybe.
    http://www.sonypictures.com/previews/movies/theamazingspiderman/clips/3638/
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow I never knew he became Spider-man after being bit by a spider. I don't know what I ever would have done if they didn't spend 18 kajillion dollars to show me that again.

to be fair I wasn't a fan of Raimi's either, except for 2, and Emma Stone is better in every possible way than Horseface, so it may be okay.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    why do they keep trying to cast Peter Parker as a douche bag? I hope i am wrong by his acting... but in my mind Peter Parker in essence is like the cartoon in the 90's. square jaw, more on the handsome good looking, built and kinda preppy. but i guess everyone has a different perception of him.

In any case, the trailer at least gets the setting and mood right. Let's hope this brings us a good movie.

Peter_Parker_design.jpgCartoon_mjwedding.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is Mary-Jane blonde? *nerdsplosion*
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    its gwen stacey...... haha. MJ isnt in this movie. I like the skinny nerdy kinda peter parker, makes him getting super strength more of a power.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwen Stacey is in this movie?! Man! I am way out of the loop.

And I agree about nerdy skinny Spiderman. I just hope..hope so bad he isn't whiny and brooding.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    normally this series is a bunch of cliche holywood material but this actor is awesome
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    @glottis8: Actually Peter Parker was the first superhero that the readers actually could identify themselves with because he looks like a normal guy. I guess the creators wanted him to look somewhat like the average reader or something like that;
    Spider-Man_spider-bite.jpg

The one in the images you've linked looks more like superman.

@shotgun: I agree. He was great in 'Boy A' and I'm looking forward to this one.
    The setting looks more serious.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I was very skeptical at first, but after seeing this, I actually have some hope.
    Maybe this will end up being the one to repair all the horrible flaws and campy atmosphere of Raimi's versions. I liked his versions a lot (except for 3 <- nightmares for weeks), but the overall feel in how they were filmed and screenplay still felt out of touch with putting Spiderman in the real world, but in the end, I think that was Raimi's intention all along.
    The more the audience can relate to the film, the better it will do, and I think that they will be able to relate to this more.