Home General Discussion

The Amazing Spiderman (Movie)

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    just finished seeing it in Imax, really enjoyed it. the visuals are awesome, some really iconic spidey poses as he swings around, not too obnoxious like that clip above, thats really the only part in the movie hes like that.

The Lizard should have seemed a lot cheesier than he did, they managed to make it cool and not cringe inducing as I 1st thought when I saw the design. Loved Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, really how I imagined him and he does a great job.

Overall I was pleasantly supprised and sitting in my seat grinning like a kid. Marvel has had a great summer, here is to hoping DC knocks it outta the park with Batman!
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Just came back also.. Loved it.
    Exactly how peter parker should be. Felt very much like 17yr old spiderman.
  • baalnazzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like I won't fall asleep during watching this time. When I've been watching first Spiderman I did.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I really enjoyed it! I still feel like it was a bit too soon to do a reboot and re-tell the origin that everyone already knows, but they did it well. Very entertaining movie, I look forward to a sequel.
    The end credits scene really sucks though. It seems nobody really has a good guess as to who that was. Most people seem to think Norman Osborne, which would make sense I guess. But yeah, compared to other recent marvel end credits scenes, this one was pretty disappointing.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    VPrime wrote: »
    Just came back also.. Loved it.
    Exactly how peter parker should be. Felt very much like 17yr old spiderman.

played by a 28 year old.. lol
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Shiniku wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it! I still feel like it was a bit too soon to do a reboot and re-tell the origin that everyone already knows, but they did it well. Very entertaining movie, I look forward to a sequel.
    The end credits scene really sucks though. It seems nobody really has a good guess as to who that was. Most people seem to think Norman Osborne, which would make sense I guess. But yeah, compared to other recent marvel end credits scenes, this one was pretty disappointing.
    Spiderman is still being done by Sony, hence the differences compared to Marvel's recent films.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Just watched it yesterday.. Very very meh to be honest.
    The first half of the movie was great and I was enjoying it(not sure how to feel about the new peter parker, he seems to twillighthy tbh :\ Instead of being a proper nerd, he is more this "cutesy hipster liky awkward" nerd instead) however the last half the movie lost me completly.. This movie felt way to(no offense) americanised. The constant focus on the news on the television that just summed everything that had just happened was annoying and I think the moments leading up to the ending was waaaay to patrioticized. The end just needed him swinging by an american flag while the theme song from Team America was playing.

I would not recommend spending the cinema ticket on this movie :(
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I caught this last night with some friends and didn't like it very much.

There wasn't really any need for the different origin story in this movie, so why introduce it? (I'm sure they will utilize it in the sequels).
    Spiderman getting familiar with his powers with a 2 minute skateboarding montage? Maybe swinging on the chains is the only thing that makes sense, but even that is in Shia Labeouf swinging with monkeys in Indiana Jones Territory.
    High school Intern Gwen seriously has access to (And knows how to use) all of this crazy Oscorp equipment?

I watched the movie in 2d, but it annoys me these days with all of these shots that are setup for the sake of 3d (but you can say that for most 3d movies).
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it yesterday, it was enjoyable overall but nothing spectacular...

m4dcow wrote: »
    I caught this last night with some friends and didn't like it very much.

There wasn't really any need for the different origin story in this movie, so why introduce it? (I'm sure they will utilize it in the sequels).
    Spiderman getting familiar with his powers with a 2 minute skateboarding montage? Maybe swinging on the chains is the only thing that makes sense, but even that is in Shia Labeouf swinging with monkeys in Indiana Jones Territory.
    High school Intern Gwen seriously has access to (And knows how to use) all of this crazy Oscorp equipment?

I watched the movie in 2d, but it annoys me these days with all of these shots that are setup for the sake of 3d (but you can say that for most 3d movies).

The new origin was definitely for the benefit of more sequels (I think in the comics his parents end up still alive?)
    I'm almost positive Qwen Stacy the intern existed for the sole purpose of having access to the lab for the finale, since nothing else in the movie connected to that scene or made it in anyway relevant. Her being Head Intern I mean.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    So did this movie have parts that would be scary to a three year old? My son is a massively huge spider-man fan. So I was going to take him to a morning show when no one else in at the theater.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lizard might be pretty scary for a 3 year old. Most of the movie should be fine but I dunno about the lizard. Is Jurassic Park too scary for him?
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    skylebones wrote: »
    So did this movie have parts that would be scary to a three year old? My son is a massively huge spider-man fan. So I was going to take him to a morning show when no one else in at the theater.
    Very minor spoilers:
    There are several scenes that are a little bloody, for instance spidey gets slashed by the lizard and we later see his wounds.
    I know a lot of scenes with the Lizard freaked kids out in the theater, especially when he first regrows his arm.
    Also, some scenes with the lizard are shot almost like a horror film - dark and suspensful, and then he kinda pops out for a scare. There's really only one scene like that.

Overall I think it's not to bad, but it's up to you of course.

When I saw it, there was this kid in the audience that kept saying 'ew' at almost everything (shots of spiders, lizard transforming, wounds). It was annoying at first, but got funny when he yelled out 'Ew!" during one of the kissing scenes, heh.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it last night and was ok. I enjoyed it but of course I saw it more for the visuals :P

Great article to check out guys. The hallway scene in the school was all cg. May contain spoilers to some:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/video/the-amazing-spider-man-high-school-fight-build-video-1717260671001?src=soc_fcbks
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Nemlet, that video is AMAZING! Saw it! enjoyed it. I still feel like Spiderman wasn't witty enough. When are we getting Mysterio as a villian?!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Well I really liked it haha. I Was super concerned after seeing the trailers that he was maybe too witty and annoying and that the lizard would look terrible, but to my surprise I thought they got the witty balance just right and was really likeable, and the lizard looked great with loads of full shots of him. The entire cast was great aswell. Poos all over the Sam Raimi films IMO!!!!!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Nemlet17 wrote: »
    Great article to check out guys. The hallway scene in the school was all cg. May contain spoilers to some:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/video/the-amazing-spider-man-high-school-fight-build-video-1717260671001?src=soc_fcbks

ha vid is amazing but could they get anyone less interested in what he was reading to narrate.. :D guy sounded totally bored monotone and high.. :D
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I loved this movie! they got Spiderman right! I was sketchy about twilight hair doing a good Peter Parker, but he nailed it. I like all the relationships, and even when i knew about Uncle Ben i was still eager so that it didn't happen. Stan Lee's cameo was awesome! and i think the swinging, poses and fighting of spiderman looked very natural. With a lot of motion but also, with a lot of counter weight and snap. I loved it. Connors was great, and it really felt like the amazing spiderman 80s tv show.

What a great movie IMO. haha I can't wait to see it again. I think i liked this one more than the Avengers. Just had a little more Substance. Great cast, great script, amazing movie :)

that video of the hallway was awesome! I like that, i like the physics and emphasis on it I thought the env looked amazing. The wrinkles and muscles, everything was great. Good feel to see this effort go into the CG.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Saw it, loved it.
    Spiderman's moves were way better in this movie than anything in the first 3. The one in particular I enjoyed is when Spiderman climbs around the Lizard like a spider and surrounds him in webbing. It's in the hallway scene that was linked above this post.
    The choreography of the fight that happens behind Stan Lee seemed like an homage to the comic book - I can't put my finger on why I felt that way, though.
    While it's a "reboot", its the origin story from Amazing Spiderman which is different than what we got in the originals. In that regard I don't mind the reboot, and I appreciate the fact they glossed over rather quickly. Even him designing his suit was a cool 90 seconds or something.
    Someone mentioned it being weird that Gwen not only had access to the Oscorp building but also knew their systems: While I agree this can feel weird, especially out of context, but in context to the characters of the comic it seems fitting. Shit like this was always going on and I reckon it just does not translate well to film where our sense of believability is askew due to it being live action.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this is following more of the amazing universe, but I wonder if they are going to bring in a little bit of the Ultimate universe. Maybe Peter's dad accidently turned himself into Carnage... I mean his dad did create the symbiote in the Ultimate universe if I remember correctly. That would be kind of a cool story arc. Gwen dies at the end of 2, then has to kill his father at the end of 3, leaving him a tragic hero.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it! Its silly, but loved the "watch out im swingin here!" lines as he was playing in the city, and how he acted when he was learning the ropes of his abilities. So much more character! The Lizard was such a cooler villan than the Green Goblin, I always hated him & the hobgoblin, always felt like a Joker rip off to me growing up.
    only thing i did not feel good about was the complete neglect of Lizard man turning people into other lizard men. Why were they not fucking rampaging through the city?! It showed them getting cured, but why were they not destroying shit? Felt like they cut 15-30 mins out intentionally for "super special bluray editions."
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just glad every single one of them was still outside when the cure was raining down
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking of the Lizard.. was I the only one who thought he looked like a cross between the Arkham Asylum Killer Croc and the Goombas from the Mario Bros movie?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Speaking of the Lizard.. was I the only one who thought he looked like a cross between the Arkham Asylum Killer Croc and the Goombas from the Mario Bros movie?

AND! lord voldermort!

2216490-voldemort01.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goomba7-1.jpg

"PEEETEEER PAAAARKEEEEEER"
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    thanks to the lady and some friends i already watched it 3 times, 3rd time in english without synchro was the best - really loved how subtle they used 3d most of the times, loved the way he moved and his poses, overall a very entertaining movie.
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the lizards appearance... I couldn't put my finger on it until now, thanks guys ;)

I really enjoyed this movie. Huge fan of Spider-Man, and even though I liked the Tobey movies (there was a 3rd one?), this one steals the cake. The characters were well developed for Peter Parker and his immediate relationships. Plenty of classic comic book scenarios and shots that scream fan-service. Also, the mood of the movie was very fitting for Spider-Man.
    Even though I knew Ben would die, that scene really jerked the tears out of my gf and me!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    What happened to the Indian guy that was going to the VA hospital to inject people? I mean spidey saved him on the bridge, but we never hear from him again. It also isn't like he knew the compound was going to turn people into lizard men, so did he complete his mission, or just shit his pants and leave town?
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    after seeing it for the 3rdbtime i thought i saw the windshield breaking when he hit it with the head, so we assumed he is dead
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    after seeing it for the 3rdbtime i thought i saw the windshield breaking when he hit it with the head, so we assumed he is dead
    Well at this wikia link it says he was rescued and his status remains unknown:
    http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Rajit_Ratha

But then I found this other link which talks about many scenes that appeared in various promos but were cut for the theatrical release, that show the indian dude finding the sewer lab, and being killed shortly after.
    http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/05/was-the-untold-story-cut-from-the-amazing-spider-man/
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/05/was-the-untold-story-cut-from-the-amazing-spider-man/ goes in to what was cut based on the stuff that was released in the trailers and marketing
  • glottis8
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Watched it today, loved it! And i agree with all you said above fellow polycounters.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Saw it, loved it. 100 times better Peter Parker than the old. Loved the humor and the relatablity of the character.
    The awkward moment between Gwen and Peter when there in the hallway awkwardly talking with eachother after Peters Uncle mentions Peter has her picture on his computer killed me. Loved that section so much, it was so real and made the characters feel so believable. Been in a situation much like that so it resonated well with me.

And god lord, I thought it would be hard to find a girl that could match red head emma stones beauty until I saw blonde emma stone. Totally feel in love with her all over again! hahaha :) And totally agree with Erich on the Lizard, couldnt place it when watching it, but that picture made it click.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I loved the movie but I thought it had some cheese moments that weren't really needed.
    Like the crane near miss and then Ta Da Recover
    I think the biggest thing that killed it for me was how often he let his identity become known to other characters. I mean I always felt that in the comics he was fairly secretive about that and if it ever was revealed people died

Go see it though great movie much better than Raimi's stuff.