nDo - Normal creation toolkit

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    jeffro wrote: »
    nDo_mac.jpg

jeffro - how'd you manage to get squared off buttons in OSX?

mine uses the water droplet buttons and clips off the labels.
    nDo.jpg
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    Awesomesauce. I am getting the is the map tilable popup but it seems to have no effect when I say yes. CS2
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wow Teddy. Awesome update. Thanks for adding that close button (for all of us mac users). I like the tiling option and remove button as well. Good additions.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna put this to lots of use :)

Do you guys have a changelog somewhere and a way for me to tell which version I have to help keep up to date?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contrails,

I just made a website dedicated to the tool -- it's quite basic right now, but at least it shows when the latest revision was added :)

http://cgted.com/

Check it out! It requires Silverlight (a great new web app framework, download link appears automatically if it isn't already installed).

Teddy
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    this is a kickass tool, man... thank you
  • lanfeng1982
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lanfeng1982 polycounter lvl 13
    Use of software: photoshop cs5
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Photoshop custom brushes will no have a more significant meaning to me than they ever have before. You've made a significant impact on game design and workflow.
    Teddy, you are now IMMORTAL.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving this so far, Having a few problems in CS2, but I'll need to sit down with time to figure out what/where went wrong.

Contrails,
    It requires Silverlight (a great new web app framework, download link appears automatically if it isn't already installed).
    But why?
  • Jaiza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lanfeng1982,

You are getting this issue most probably because of a corrupt PS preference file. During startup, press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT until a preference reset menu appears - then reset it all, and nDo should start working!

throttlekitty,

I'm sorry about the download. I use Silverlight because it really makes web development more fast and powerful, and the dev tools are wonderful. I know it's still very new to many, but my experience so far tells me it is of good and not evil, despite it being a M$ product. Forgive me again for the extra download,

Teddy
  • pepp0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris,

Yes, this is something I too have been thinking about. The bevel curves sadly do not work in that desired way though (create a sculpt normal and play around with its bevel curve settings 'Gloss contour' and you'll see what I mean). There might be a way though, I will keep you posted if my tests show promise.

pepp0r,

As posted a bit earlier in the thread, this might do the trick for you: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1219732&postcount=46
    It is likely that you have a corrupt PS preference file that needs to be trashed.

GoSsS,

Thanks for reporting, I will look into it -- send me your PSD file (to teddy.bergsman[at]gmail.com) and we'll go from there.

Really, thanks everyone for all the great feedback and kind words!

Teddy

thank you it works! but under windows seven the preferences are in other paths

here this helps alot for other seven user's with PS CS4
    To re-create the Photoshop preferences files:

Quit Photoshop.
    Rename the Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp file to Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.old.
    Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp file.
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Teddy and Phillip, this rocks!
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    I have a little request.
    Aside of what Peris suggested with the contour curves something like this would be enormously helpfull in my oppinion.
    pcnDoRequest.jpg
    So you can just select the different regions with the magic wand tool and fill them with wood, metal etc to block out the diffuse/spec/gloss.

I made a copy of all the folders, collapsed eatch individual by hand and assigned a layerstyle with solid fill to them, picking some random colour everytime. Took a whille to finish with dozends of groups.

How do you people currently proced from normal to diffuse meaning how do you create the masks for the different materials?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5,

I will make sure to implement such a feature. This weekend is a bit busy for me, but rest assured you'll see it soon enough.

Also!

For those who don't have Silverlight installed, or do not want to install it, there is now a (quite simplified) html version of the site, which auto-loads if the SL plug-in is not installed. On this simplified version you have access to all necessary links to get you going with nDo.

Check it out @ http://cgted.com!

Teddy
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    THE 5,

I will make sure to implement such a feature. This weekend is a bit busy for me, but rest assured you'll see it soon enough.

AWESOME! :D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    No idea Snowfly. It was like that by default. I am on the latest OS release. Are you on the latest OS update?
    Snowfly wrote: »
    jeffro - how'd you manage to get squared off buttons in OSX?]
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, This is great! I just found my new favorite plugin!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can t say enough thanks for this tool man! seriously awesome!!, also thats very nice tutorial Philip. I ve been dreamin of some instance tool for a while so this is really cool! besides the other goodness.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike5424,

You may use this tool in any way you like, there are no restrictions. I'd love to see what you'll come up with!

Teddy
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    teddy:
    I have two more suggestions.
    Concerning the solid fill you plan. It would be cool to select a gradient where the colours are chosen from. That way nDo would be able to concept different colour variations which could be used afterwards if they turn out nicely.

The other thing would be normal -> height map.
    Not shure if you can do this, but since you managed to do normal -> cavity maybe this is possible too.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Your generosity amazes me, thanks for the sharing this amazing tool! Its crazy how once in a while someone like you will take something this good and just give it away, and then proceed to implement new features by requests, idunno, its shocking, especially with so many people out there trying to make a quick buck off of small tool sets like this, and sets not even a fraction as good. Thanks Teddy for the tool and Philip for the tutorial:)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey teddy, it's kinda slow for me. Just wondering, doing the first F3 press on a layer takes a few seconds, but every adjustment after that is just as slow. I can sometimes wait for 10+ seconds to get an adjustment calculated. It's better on an new file (also 2048 ), but dunno, takes the fun out of it for me.

oh and my PC is good enough to never give me trouble with anything.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul,

Thanks for your feedback. There is now a new update addressing this, in the form of a new button called "Optimize". This collapses the currently selected normal into a smart object. Optimizing normal layers this way greatly improves the performace when working with many normal layers in high resolution PSD:s. If an optimized normal is selected when nDo is run, the normal will automatically dissolve and become an editable normal to the user again.

So try running "Optimize" on your normal layers and let me know how the speed picks up.

Another minor addition is that there is now a changelog included in the .ZIP.

Get the latest version here: http://cgted.com/nDo.zip

Teddy
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Hey teddy, it's kinda slow for me. Just wondering, doing the first F3 press on a layer takes a few seconds, but every adjustment after that is just as slow. I can sometimes wait for 10+ seconds to get an adjustment calculated. It's better on an new file (also 2048 ), but dunno, takes the fun out of it for me.

oh and my PC is good enough to never give me trouble with anything.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Ok, I hope this is gonna help. I had about 3-4 crashes already because it gets so insanely heavy on my PC, was about to complain about it but then I see the update :)

edit: I can see why it starts crashing, there was 20gb worth of Photoshop temp files on my harddrive, just from an hour of working :/
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, so powerful, this is what i whipped up in 10 min with a pic of a skull from google and few grunge brushes :O
    previewoi.jpg
  • jrmenace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man would love to try this out unfortunately using GIMP cant afford ps yet.Maybe a GIMP conversion in the futurei hope
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new feature has been added!

As requested by THE 5 there is now a button "Make color" for converting your normal document into a color map. You can either choose a custom color palette as base for the map, or apply random colors.

Get the latest version here: http://cgted.com/nDo.zip

Xoliul,

I have made a plan for a new optimization feature, which will drastically reduce the normal map file size, especially in cases such as your own. Bare with me!

Teddy
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    This looks awesome, definitely giving it a try soon. I was hoping for something that gets you the detail/control from a bake but without leaving PS, and a black/white map and the nvidea filters didn't really give me that result. :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm having a problem on latest version, trying to edit a previous layer with NDO and when moving Depth slider it freezes PS, any key pressed make a 'beep' sound.

Always has to kill myself the PS process.

Vista, PS CS3, 2048 pixels document.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum,

Did previous versions of nDo work for you? I can't think of anything in the updates that could possibly have caused this.

Thanks for the report,
    Teddy
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I figured it out. When working furthermore on it I duplicated layers not instancing them, and those seem to crash the script when adjusting settings.

Needs extensive testing but I'm almost sure that's the reason.
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    ParoXum wrote: »
    I think I figured it out. When working furthermore on it I duplicated layers not instancing them, and those seem to crash the script when adjusting settings.

Needs extensive testing but I'm almost sure that's the reason.

Hi ParoXum, I have no idea if this is the case. But if you manually duplicate a nDo layer group it will add "Copy XX" at the end of the name which will mess up the group when trying to edit it with nDo. If you just remove the Copy at the end of the name it should work, I've done this a few times.

Apologies if your problem is due to something completely different :)

Also, I'm glad some of you have found the tutorial useful, thanks! :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my bad. And I even read that earlier in this topic with that! I feel ashamed.

And yeah Philipk, your tutorials are all excellent.
  • animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animax polycounter lvl 15
    Great tool guys.I've been trying a lot with it.Now normal mapping workflow will be much faster because of the interactivity.Thanks a lot Teddy and Phillip.

I am currently having a issue only with my Photoshop CS2.When i try to create a normal map from a tileable map through "nDO" , even though i choose it's a tileable map, nDo leaves a bevel border for the normal.But it happens only in photoshop CS2 not in photoshop CS5.It's the same file.But different output.

Great job on the tool guys and awesome support.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animax,

Sorry about this, as I mentioned a few pages back this is due to a design difference between CS2 and later versions of PS (namely how smart objects work). Due to this difference, CS2 users are not able to use the bevel removal and normal tiling features of nDo. I'm very sorry about this.

Teddy
  • animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animax polycounter lvl 15
    No probs dude.That's just a minor set back.I have to work in CS5 now.That's all.

Thanks for the reply.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    A new feature has been added!

As requested by THE 5 there is now a button "Make color" for converting your normal document into a color map. You can either choose a custom color palette as base for the map, or apply random colors.

Teddy

Thanks a billion man! :D
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Hboybowen
    Check out the dedicated website for nDo, and you will find a great tutorial and how to instal instruction from there :)

_Revel
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    @teddybergsman

Man your soft is a killer app,

You could have been milionary with a such tool !!! Just tried it today and while i was testing i got adrenaline climbing into my head ... Result are pure power !

I'm really sad, i cannot share the result here but i did pictures before/after using my old methods and with nDo now.

How did you manage to create this ? You're genious !!! Nobody in this industry was able since 2005 to create a such tool, Nvidia, etc ...

Thanks man i'll donate you !

Ps : Why did you post it here ? And not inside Technical talks ? I never go inside this thread ...
  • Dudeman95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They do have something like this for gimp. http://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing tool, but I have a serious issue!. This is my computer at home:

Windows 7 (English) 64 bit and Photoshop CS5

And this tool works flawlessly. But on the computers I've tried at school:

Windows 7 (Japanese) 64 bit and Photoshop CS5
    Windows 7 (Japanese) 64 bit and Photoshop CS4

And every time I try to make a normal, the part that should become normal stays white.
    The only difference is that Windows is in Japanese, but on the action list all the stuff that it does shows in Japanese too so that shouldn't be a problem.
    I've also tried resetting the preferences using Shift-Ctrl-Alt and also going to the Photoshop CS5 folder and deleting the preference file/s by myself, but nothing changes...
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus,

I really appreciate your enthusiasm, thank you for the heart-warming words and your good will :)

Mik2121,

This actually is a serious issue that has come to my attention just recently. Apparently, some Photoshop scripting features do not run on non-english versions of Photoshop. This means nDo will currently run only for those with English versions installed, which is just not acceptable. I'm investigating a solution for this localization problem, and will let you all know the moment I've fixed it.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I've used it on a "easter European" version of CS5, with the language information altered so that it goes back to English in all of the menus. That was on a English version of XP 32bit though. Just it helps some anyways (:

And great tool :D I'm going to really try it out in the near future on my ongoing project, i'll see how that turns out (:
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    This means nDo will currently run only for those with English versions installed, which is just not acceptable. I'm investigating a solution for this localization problem, and will let you all know the moment I've fixed it.

I use german Win7 x64 aswell as german photoshop CS4, and nDo works flawless. Maybe that information somewhat helps :S
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    I've used it on a "easter European" version of CS5, with the language information altered so that it goes back to English in all of the menus. That was on a English version of XP 32bit though. Just it helps some anyways (:

And great tool :D I'm going to really try it out in the near future on my ongoing project, i'll see how that turns out (:

Uhm? Could you tell me how you did that? I thought Photoshop was only in one language when you install it :O

EDIT - I tried having a friend sending me his ja_JP folder from "Locale" inside the Photoshop CS5 folder and changing the language to Japanese that way, but when I restart PS I get an error saying it couldn't verify the license for that language. WTF Adobe?... :(
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for helping me nail this one! I'll keep you posted on the fix.

Just a minor remark, I've updated cgted.com with a help section, trying to provide solutions for the most common issues. It is a bit basic right now, but I will make sure to extend it continuously.

Teddy
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    Uhm? Could you tell me how you did that? I thought Photoshop was only in one language when you install it :O

EDIT - I tried having a friend sending me his ja_JP folder from "Locale" inside the Photoshop CS5 folder and changing the language to Japanese that way, but when I restart PS I get an error saying it couldn't verify the license for that language. WTF Adobe?... :(

I followed this little guide and it worked well..