Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval cellar - UDK

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
damianlazarskimedievalc.jpg

Hey guys. I have been slowly running out of steam while doing my Victorian mansion so I thought it would be nice to take a short break from it and do something smaller. In the end, I've decided to make a medieval wine cellar; here's a rough block-out of it.

Here's what I'm planning to do next (this is more of a note to myself, so feel free to skip it ;))

I'm quite content with the lighting, though it's going to change a little bit once I make proper door; I will probably make some highpoly planks in Mud and then bake each of it separately. I plan on leaving some space between each plank in the lowpoly, so that light shafts can pass through it.

Walls and ceiling:
These will use tileable textures with vertex blending. I want to mix worn-out white plaster and reddish-bricks.

Floor:
I will sculpt some tiles later on in Mud; vertex blending shouldn't be necessary here since I can simply cover it with decals and some junk. Some protruding tiles here and there should also do the trick.

Barrels:

The highpoly is done and I will bake it later today. There are a lot of them in the scene so I will have to create either a second diffuse or crate a shader that changes colour of the planks depending on the world position.

Bricks, trims, pillars:

Will be sculpted in Mudbox. Trims might be a little too big at the moment.

Windows desperately need some proper light shafts. I've got to add some torches as well.

Critique and further suggestions are most welcome :)

edit:

Updated the post with the latest progress on the scene.

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    this looks awesome!

im excited to see more!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Off to a good start, like the vaulted ceilings, some ribs would go well with them to break them up a little.

The blue lighting looks a little strong if thats supposed to be light coming through the windows.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Oh wow. I thought it was a concept at first glance! I like the painterly style it has. I know it's not textured yet, but it's definitely the feeling I get. I like the lighting, the contrast between the warm and cool gives off a very cozy feeling. Perhaps a keystone would help break up the blandness of the ceiling. Great start, keep it coming!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

SaferDan: I will try to post some highpoly sculpt tomorrow.

Ark: Yeah, I was planning to add some ribs, but I felt too lazy to rebake my lighting ;)

Good point about the blue lighting; I will have to play around with its indirect lighting setting.

Prophecies: Cheers, I like the keystone idea :) Will definitely spend some time on the ceiling tomorrow.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, another scene? Ballin.

Good looking start. Not sure what else you could add, maybe some crates with cabbage, old armor...... dead bodies. :P

Ha, that last one is a joke. But none the less. cool scene, looking for to seeing it progress.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    the blue is a bit too strong for my taste, but other than that it already looks very promising.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Dude that lighting only shot is so sick!
  • A R K A I K O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOww looks great man!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys.

brandoom: Yeah, another one, but in this case I might actually finish it before the world ends ;)

The floor could use some more junk, but I will leave that until everything is textured.

divi: Cheers. I will fix the blue lighting later on; cutting its brightness by 1/4 and lowering its indirect lighting setting should do the trick.

Mr Bear: Cheers, glad to hear you like it.

A R K A I K O: Thanks mate!
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOVIN THIS !!!!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duxun: Cheers mate :)

Here's a small update;

screenshot00003a.jpg

Did barrels and pillars, tomorrow I will try to do the floors, trims, put some plaster on the walls and fix lightmaps.

I know that the blue might still be too strong, but I really like how it colours the barrels. I will probably leave my lighting like that until all texturing is done; perhaps it wont be as bothersom once everything has a diffuse.

Looking forward to your feedback guys :)
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    well, not much to say other than "more and faster updates!". possibly even smaller ones :>
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, cheers divi. I'll try to do some more work once I get back from work.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I am loving is how that ceiling is perfectly seamless. How did you go about doing that? Very impressive! :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty easy; take a cylinder and delete half of it. Model it into a shape you want to get and then apply a symmetry modifier. Rotate the mirror by 45 degrees and do the same for each side. Viola :)

I will add some ribs to it though, to cover the transitions. It's really hard to get seamless lighting on modular pieces unless is use high res lightmaps.
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    Great scene, lovin' it so far! The only thing that stands out to me is the absence of wine racks and/or loose bottles. I hear wine cellar and I immediately think of green dusty bottles all over the place. Also, I think its common for wine cellars to have a small wooden table with a few chairs for tasting if you are still wanting to add some additional props.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Cap, that's a good idea - I was thinking of some additional props I could put in there but couldn't come up with anything nice. Why didn't I think of bottles? :p I will probably replace some of these sacks since they don't really serve much purpose.

Anyways, here's todays progress. I'm not entirely happy with how the floor turned out. I will have to add some actual geometry if I want these stones to pop. Walls look a bit bland, but I will vertex blend them later on.

screenshot00006.jpg
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    The lighting is looking alot better. You have a nice warm feeling then gets cooler as you get closer to the windows.

Dont like the godrays coming through the door though, i personally think they'd be better coming through the window as the bloom around them suggest strong lighting from that side of the environment.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark:

Thanks for the reply :) Yeah, the godrays still need a little bit of tweaking - I don't really like how these post-processed lightshafts look (since they can be seen only when looked at from certain angles) so I will replace them later on with proper volumetric lighting and add some next to the windows as well. Also, I will try to reduce the gaps between the planks so that less light is coming through.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    That is pure awesome keep it up man
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stone floor looks a lot like Ben Cloward's shader texture.

Room looks great though.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint:

Cheers mate :)

Eric:

Haha, it does look similar; I hope that's not bad ;)
    Glad to hear you like it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, not bad if it's a direct lift, just not the best. Sounds like not though.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now you got me worried; I will probably edit my high-poly in this case and rebake it. I'm planning to make this scene a portfolio piece, so I guess it's best to avoid eventual misunderstandings. Especially when it looks similar to something that's available for download.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think a lot of artists have seen Ben's textures. It's not bad to use free textures, but it's generally frowned upon for a portfolio piece, where it's generally assumed you did everything in the piece unless credited otherwise.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I thought as well; thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize my texture was so similar until you brought it up.

As I said before I will edit my highpoly tomorrow. I believe that dirt-to-stone ratio is what makes it look so similar to Ben's texture; increasing the size of the stones, or changing their density should do the trick. I was using baked masks to paint my diffuse, so editing it shouldn't take me too long.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    do you have reference for a stone floor like that used indoors? feels a bit out of place to me. a less bumpy surface might also make more sense since it'd probably be easier to roll the barrels on it.
    i like the god rays :|
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cobblestones were used as a common building material back in those times; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobblestone_architecture

here's a pic of them being used indoors: click

Keep in mind that Medieval architecture didn't always make sense; buildings were often made on top of the older structures and buildings themselves were rarely used in the way it was originally planned. When making this piece I was thinking of an old dungeon that was being used as a wine cellar; hence the cobblestones and stairs behind the door.

Anyways, here's a very small update; I tweaked the cobblestone texture a bit. Reduced the space between the stones and increased the tiling (the scale was a little bit off before). I hope that it doesn't look so similar to Ben's texture anymore. I have also reduced the lightshafts a little bit.

screenshot00008.jpg

I'm not sure if I will be able to do any more progress today, but I hope to sculpt some bricks in the evening.

Note to myself; I should replace that BSP floor with a static mesh that bends slightly; it should give it a more organic feel.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bending the floor sounds great. Floor looks good. There's one bright stone that tiles conspicuously. You could also reduce the repetition by rotating the UVs slightly.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric, I didn't notice that stone before. As you said rotating the UV's should break up the tiling a bit; I'll make sure to do that later.
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    Diggin' the new update, but I have to agree with Ark about the door lights. It looks like its either leading directly to the outside (and being a cellar I would expect that not to be the case) and the sun is right there in front of it or God, or some other shiny being, is about to walk in. Even as a door directly at the bottom of some stairs the only light I would expect to come through is some candles on the wall and I don't think they would be strong enough to cast rays through the door cracks. I think you could still have the light coming through the cracks (and even a view of the room or stairs behind it) without having it so strong. If you really wanted to stick with some god rays I would go with Arks suggestion about them coming through the windows.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Cap. The doorway should not have *that* much light coming through. Cellars are usually kept underground since it keeps the contents cool. There should be some light coming through, but not as much as a sunrise.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've decided to drop that strong light and left the door open. However, I might drop the idea altogether and replace them with something like this

Apart from that I've been mainly tweaking minor things and changes turned out to be barely visible. Current ceiling needs to go - I will probably go with something like this - mesh will stay the same but it certainly needs a different texture. I've also added some floor tiles, though I'm not perfectly happy with the results yet; I will try to beat them up a little bit more.

Anyway, here's my progress:

screenshot00017w.jpg

Crit away guys :) I'm hoping to do some more noticable progress tomorrow.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Some different markings/writings on the barrels would be cool.

Also a grime layer on the cobbelstone, so it's more grimey towards the sides might be nice.

Some wall hangings/ceiling hangings would look cool

Maybe some missing cobblestones here and there to break up the tiling more. Like muddy areas.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Serp, these are some good ideas; most of these could be done using decals, so I'll make sure too keep them in mind once I'm done with all the meshes.

edit:

The lighting is a bit different in the last shot and blue is far too strong; I screwed up my lighting a little bit and can't recall how. I will try to get back to the lighting from that shot I posted a few days ago.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    You gotta do a lot more for the lighting, bring out all the props you have in that scene, toss some more artificial light.

Looks good! Time to drink!!

The new ceiling you chose should work out well with a nice normal map :D. I'd build in some damage/fallen bricks.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lamont! I fully agree about the lighting; the more I look at it the more displeased I am with the results. I probably need another light source close to the camera; all objects in the foreground are pretty dark. I'm thinking about putting some melted candles (Halloween style) on top of one the barrels.

It would be nice to get some rim lights in there as well, but I'm afraid that a strong lightsource would kill GI.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    May I suggest some hanging light fixtures (oil lamps?) or torches? It looks like a kick ass scene, just need to bring it out a bit more.

gothic+chandelier+%28x2%29+ST-+R4800.jpg
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Lamont. It looks pretty cool, this kind of torches would fit the scene pretty well. I was planning to add some before (in fact, those orange lights are where the torches were supposed to be) but my laziness took over.

The lighting should change significantly once I add those. I want to use a flame texture as emissive and use that as my lightsource; the final result should be far more "organic" and have a wider array of colours. I hope :poly142:
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how did you turn on light shafts for the lights there ??? i can't find it...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've used volumetric lights here rather than these new lightshafts. In content browser, go to Engine, then find a package called EngineVolumetrics and find a material called M_EV_Lightbeam_Master. Create an instance and apply it to a conical mesh. Tweak the material to your needs.

You can make your own material of course; but even when following a tutorial on UDN, I had no luck of replicating it. The material is pretty complex and wiki doesn't explain all hows and whys.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    wee quick paintover try to keep the artificial lights low in values as sunlight is about a million times stronger, and add some extra bounce lightis arountd the pools to add a bit more form to the overalllighting

paintover4.JPG
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I've used volumetric lights here rather than these new lightshafts. In content browser, go to Engine, then find a package called EngineVolumetrics and find a material called M_EV_Lightbeam_Master. Create an instance and apply it to a conical mesh. Tweak the material to your needs.

You can make your own material of course; but even when following a tutorial on UDN, I had no luck of replicating it. The material is pretty complex and wiki doesn't explain all hows and whys.

@Tea: regarding the material. I have never been able to replicate it from what UDN has but what I did do was look at UE3 lightshafts and combine the two together. Ill post what I have up later when at home....working on a mac right now and bootcamp refuses to install windows.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shepeiro: Thanks for the overpaint mate, I see what you mean. I will try to tweak the lighting a bit more this week and dig deeper into lightmass settings. I'm also thinking about changing the layout of the cellar a bit, so light setup will change as well.

haiddasalami: Thanks! I would love to get some more info on this. I'm not too good with the technical stuff but it would be great if I could understand how it's done.
  • dmightyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmightyone polycounter lvl 12
    amazing work man, reminds me of some of the envs from dragonage, keep it coming!!!
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

thanks ill look into that..
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    Awesome work, I'm really looking forward to see the ceiling texture. If you end up going with wall torches as opposed to the cool chandelier thing, I think you could put some smaller ones that slant outwards on the pillars themselves to light up the foreground. I know I've seen that but I couldn't find a ref for what I'm thinking of since I forget what the name of that pillar style you're using is.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    i think everything is looking pretty good, execpt for that its kinda too dark. I really like SHEPEIRO's paint over. You should look at grabbing from that. Looking forward to more updates!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

I've got another small update; I've tweaked the lighting and added a small amount of fog. I'm playing it safe with the moonlight, since I didn't want to kill off my artificial lights and Lightmass can be very picky; there's still plenty of room for improvement though.

Ceiling's texture still has to be replaced with bricks; I've spent too much time fooling around in Mudbox, but I am hoping to finish them tomorrow.

I've also sculpted some panels in Mudbox which are tiled along the ribs and I will probably use the same texture for the door frame.

Anyways I don't want to bore you, here's something to look at

highresscreenshot00017.jpg

Edit: Didn't see your posts before I posted this :p

Cap: Cheers :) As I said I will try to finish the texture tomorrow; scultping good looking grout has given me much more trouble than I expected. Torches on the pillars sounds like a good idea; I could use some lightsources in the middle.

raul: Thanks mate. Yeah, it was kind of too dark; I fixed it today. Hope you will like it more :)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic now. Just keep piling on the detail! :D