Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 12
I've seen a lot of cool threads around here recently, from LitSpheres to Snow blending shaders etc...
It's a pity we wait to have proper finalized stuff to show it...
So what about a technical wip thread?
I also stumble upon tons of cools papers but i never share with anyone...

There was a similar one at tech-artists.org but there's just too few users.. Is polycount big enough? We'll see :)

I've been lazy for almost a year, but we have to start with something right? SO, I dug up some stuff :)

Spherical lights:
Some might remember these endless talks about how point light have no accurate specular blablabla, so I came up with this simple model where lights have a defined radius. (http://www.mentalwarp.com/~moob/show/polycount/sphereLights.jpg)
I recently updated this shader to generate a procedural floor reflection and to take the new model into account into the diffuse contribution, and not only specular.
Yes it is expensive as hell, but i was bored at Xmas, forgive me: lights are calculated in a loop in the pixel shader, and the process is done a second time just for the floor (even tough in a simpler manner: no normal, no spec) (yes i cheated there is precomputed occlusion/shadows)
sphericalLightsWithGround.jpg

Multilamp BRDF shader, yay!:
multilampBRDF.jpg

I've been working with unity on iPhone, which only supports 'Sphere Map' instead of regular cube. So i had to write a shader to transform cubes into this funky oldschool format:
sphereMap.jpg.

Some of my recent work at CCP got released not so long ago:
[ame]
- procedural moons (i did selfshadowing craters at first, but it's not very old cards friendly...)
- animated gaz giants with moving clouds
- planetary rings with procedural cast shadow

Let me see your stuff now :)

Replies