Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Airbørn

Replies

• Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    What exactly would you like to see? I#d rather not capture stuff in UDK, the DX11 features are so damn slow, we only turn them on for screens right now. The implementation is really buggy, i hope this will get fixed soon. Sculpting, Texturing etc. shouldn't be a problem though :)

Mostly just the general process for statics - if you're generating any types maps to push details or get colors to pop a certain way or just to speed up the process. Things like gradient mapping; or is everything being painted by hand which would be incredible.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    woohh, thats some nice fur effect. is it using some kind of pin effect with the shader?

Thx, tbh it's just the oldschool shell (push + alpha test) approach :D
    What makes it look good is the texture that was baked form highpoly hair.
  • Santewi
    Wow, your characters look like if they were taken straight from some Pixar film :O
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Gannon wrote: »
    Mostly just the general process for statics - if you're generating any types maps to push details or get colors to pop a certain way or just to speed up the process. Things like gradient mapping; or is everything being painted by hand which would be incredible.

no special maps in use so far. for most textures its just AO, 2 detailmaps created from the normalmap. Its overall very subtle - the rest ist ja simple painting, i mean its not like the textures are very complex or anything, simple gradients painted with soft brushes. For a character skin texture the maps look like this.

textures.gif

what you see is that the texture overall is pretty simple, just some gradients, a bit of structure, a lot of noise and structure in the spec, an SSS color/mask and a tileable peachfuzz texture that gets masked with some shader math so its only bright in

The shader for ingame 3rd version view will be quite simpler, right now we didn't optimize much and UDKs DX11 features, especially tesselation and displacement, are slow as hell. For 3rd person displacement won't be necessary, but its easy to turn on and off if needed.
  • Santewi
    The shader for ingame 3rd version view will be quite simpler, right now we didn't optimize much and UDKs DX11 features, especially tesselation and displacement, are slow as hell. For 3rd person displacement won't be necessary, but its easy to turn on and off if needed.

The tessellation used to be different in UDK. Right now the mesh gets subdivided more and more times the closer you get, but at some point the tessellation multiplier was used to just control the amount of subdivisions and you could easily lerp between values based on camera distance... I don't know why they changed that, right now I can't use tessellation at all because my FPS drops to like 1% of what it is without tessellation once the mesh gets subdivided twice or so :/
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Yeah i know, we played around with it on the whole level, its just not usable in large scale right now. Though for screens and smaller objects like the chars it works alright. Though the performance in DX9 is still way better than in DX11.

anyways

quick update on one of the NPCs with a quick photoshop recoloration, will implenment that feature in the shader later on. Hair is just a crunched down sculpt.
    But its enough to start texturing/shaderworks and creation of animations for her.

npc_02a.jpg
  • Santewi
    Yeah i know, we played around with it on the whole level, its just not usable in large scale right now. Though for screens and smaller objects like the chars it works alright. Though the performance in DX9 is still way better than in DX11.

Really? I can't even properly use the tessellation on simple boxes or anything without making it lag... Maybe it's just the tessellation settings in CCC, recently reinstalled Windows and haven't really checked the settings yet.

By the way, what version of UDK are you guys using?
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great!
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Loving everything about this. The art style really evokes that kiddy nostalgic excitement in me with how it reminds me of Talespin, Steamboy and Pixar.
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Cool stuff, subscribing :)
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I just caught wind that this was being updated again. I'm so glad you guys are back on this! Fantastically inspirational work!
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    UPDATE:

After some small projects we decided to work on Airborn again :)
    I'm working half time on Airborn, finally enough time to really make it shine...

Only one wip picture right now, but there are more to come!
    1508_01.jpg

This is looking awesome and I want to look at it all day! Any chance we could get this at 2560x1440?
  • OinkOink
    grass in this game is too epic !
  • Abe_hokage
    really fantastic work!
    keep posting, inspires me to do more stuff at home :):)
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Oh man I haven't seen this project in years! So glad to see it's still alive! Fantastic work!
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Hey Neox,love the work you did on the npc lady, just not sure about the second chin though. It feels like she's pulling her head back creating the second chin rather than it being there because she's overweight. Feels a bit forced at the moment.
    I hope I make any sense.

Keep up the awesome work you guys.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Great style and art. Glad to be able to watch this develop.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thanks dudes!

MeintevdS:
    yeah i agree, put it on my to do list, though i don't give it a very high prority right now. i'd rather work on the next NPC to get him ready for texturing.Today i've spent some time on shaders, basically some features are not really needed for 3rd person, but we needed some ways to upres our more simple and less important characters.

On the top left i tweaked his glass shader, to now use a composite texture of 3 channels, one for scratches, one for dirt, one for reflection/distortion. Also i lately added the use to his glasses, which is somewhat tricky as they are mirrored, thanks to the hair it's not too oviousl, so i have more freedom on the upper side.

and i created a clothshader for the NPCs which will be used for the important chars as well, to keep the texture resolution low and the detail high i impletemented detail mixing of detailnormals via a mask texture. I tried to get a Pixar-Up-esque look with the cloth. I might add detail diffuse and spec for sequence stuff but i guess its all right as it is. But its easy to implement now that i have the normals done.
    The rest pf the shader is super simple, spec, dif, normals and right now just one value for gloss. But she is ready to be given out of my hands to a texture artist working on the fine stuff so i can go on with the rest of the bunch.

npc_02b.jpg
    added some notes for the texture artist ^^

upmaterials.jpg
    and a quick comparison of what i'm after materialwise, i know i can't do it to the last details with the tiled detail texture, unless i add a lot of edges just to allow uv changes. But i guess it works well enough and is still kinda cheap, the patterns are super small and the mask right now is 256x256 maybe i can even lower that more, i'll have to check. Just need to look how small i can make the master textures, maybe keen the normals big and scale down the diffuse and spec - will see
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That's a really neat idea to mask out different detail textures. Love this thread!
  • lildragn
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome to see this live again Steffen, great thread that'll I'll be sure to take in this weekend :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    whoot dude thanks, tell me is you need anything

@fearian: thanks man, i tried using vertexcolors instead but they tend to be very soft and would need lots of geo, so i tried it with a texture which is alredy pretty small but i'll see if i can meke its memory footprint even smaller.

and thanks to flippin pageturn: here is what i'm talking about

thanks dudes!

MeintevdS:
    yeah i agree, put it on my to do list, though i don't give it a very high prority right now. i'd rather work on the next NPC to get him ready for texturing.Today i've spent some time on shaders, basically some features are not really needed for 3rd person, but we needed some ways to upres our more simple and less important characters.

On the top left i tweaked his glass shader, to now use a composite texture of 3 channels, one for scratches, one for dirt, one for reflection/distortion. Also i lately added the use to his glasses, which is somewhat tricky as they are mirrored, thanks to the hair it's not too oviousl, so i have more freedom on the upper side.

and i created a clothshader for the NPCs which will be used for the important chars as well, to keep the texture resolution low and the detail high i impletemented detail mixing of detailnormals via a mask texture. I tried to get a Pixar-Up-esque look with the cloth. I might add detail diffuse and spec for sequence stuff but i guess its all right as it is. But its easy to implement now that i have the normals done.
    The rest pf the shader is super simple, spec, dif, normals and right now just one value for gloss. But she is ready to be given out of my hands to a texture artist working on the fine stuff so i can go on with the rest of the bunch.

npc_02b.jpg
    added some notes for the texture artist ^^

upmaterials.jpg
    and a quick comparison of what i'm after materialwise, i know i can't do it to the last details with the tiled detail texture, unless i add a lot of edges just to allow uv changes. But i guess it works well enough and is still kinda cheap, the patterns are super small and the mask right now is 256x256 maybe i can even lower that more, i'll have to check. Just need to look how small i can make the master textures, maybe keen the normals big and scale down the diffuse and spec - will see
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Marry me, all of you. <3 Awesome work you guys, absolutely stunning!
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Looking very good!
    What trickery are you currently doing to get the textures so very sharp? Im not talking about the detail textures here, the transitions of the cloth layers for instance are very sharp. Or is it just really high resolution textures for the cinematics?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I will have to test how small i can make those Npc textures, right now its 2k for the body and 1k for the head, i'm sure i can half most maps and keep only the normals high. They are no where near as close to the cam as Pino, he is planned to keep up to a full screen portrait. they don't need the resolutions at all. Other Storychars will definitely get the same res if they are important enough. Most Npc will only be viewable in 3rd person so we can keep their textures pretty "small". a thin dude definitely only needs half the textureres as she does. So there is still quite some space to optimize for third person. working on that will be the next thing after i generated the base systems for the characters.
  • e-freak
    optimization idea: would it be possible to use an AAAA8 compressed DDS texture for those detail normal masks (rgb empty, only Alpha with 8 bit) and instead of checking the color values, check for pixel brightness? given that you have 8 different "submaterials" (different detailmaps) you would simply use 0, 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 224 and 255 (+31 could be "no detail map") as fill values. The compressed texture would weigh less although it has an uncompressed Alpha channel, because RGB are not calculated and you could use a higher texture resolution for the mask. IDK how much the shader cost would be on a masking method like that.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    e-freak wrote: »
    optimization idea: would it be possible to use an AAAA8 compressed DDS texture for those detail normal masks (rgb empty, only Alpha with 8 bit) and instead of checking the color values, check for pixel brightness? given that you have 8 different "submaterials" (different detailmaps) you would simply use 0, 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 224 and 255 (+31 could be "no detail map") as fill values. The compressed texture would weigh less although it has an uncompressed Alpha channel, because RGB are not calculated and you could use a higher texture resolution for the mask. IDK how much the shader cost would be on a masking method like that.

Thanks for the input. Yeah i thought about something like this as well but feared the shader instructions needed. Maybe its an option for Pi
  • e-freak
    regarding normal map channel usage, take a look at this:
    http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Unified+Detail+Mapping

(shifting rg to ga to avoid compression and using rb for detail maps on gloss and diffuse)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Feels very instruction heavy to rebuild all this, but need to test it ^^

thanks!
  • lildragn
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Hiya Neox, check your email when you get a chance.

~t
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Bam! Concept Art Update time!
    Ice-dudes-town. Was a hell of a lot of work!

walltown2-kl.jpg
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Very Ian Mcque.

Awesome work! :)
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    wow acapulco ... impressive
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    This looks like a locale from an Ian Mcque sketch... I love it so much! :O Don't ever stop inspiring us guys, and thanks for the wallpaper!
  • m1neh
    absolutely incredible - awesome work!
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want to play your game - I want to live there. I want to have a smoke outside of J's and flick it into the abyss as I stare longingly through my mist-thickened breath into the cold unyielding northern skies.

I love it! Exactly like that!
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    We founded a Deviant Art group for everyone around there to follow our progress! Facebook page will follow soon!

Along here to the DeviantArt group!
  • choco
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Really love your work guys, the consistency, art direction is really strong.
    Keep it up !
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone is busy, everyone keeps working on Airborn anyway! So, time for an update!

Yes, we do have a Facebook Page now! We'll keep it there updatet. All stuff on a small space!

Manuel did a lot of work on the market and made little props!

airborn_harbour_update_by_polyphobia3d-d5ixsk1.jpg

airborn_harbour_update_by_polyphobia3d-d5ixsp2.jpg

airborn_harbour_update_by_polyphobia3d-d5ixssa.jpg

We also have a update on Pino! We are getting to a point where we want him to be! Steffen also did a turnaround for him.

77781_286897388095580_135546161_o.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Great to see you guys getting some time to work on this again. Well done all of you.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Man, I love how the post processing actually makes things feel solid and chunky instead of just looking like a bunch of vaseline on the lens.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Now THIS stuff has style.
    Keep up the great work, everyone.
  • EarthQuake
    Been a while since I checked this thread, and oh man, looks like you guys are doing pixar level work. Awesome stuff!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Thanks a ton guys, means a lot!

Okay as promised yesterday in waywo, with less compression and overall better quality :)

pino_turnaround_by_polyphobia3d-d5izcws.jpg

and a bigger shot of one of the many NPCs, made from the mesh i created for the female fatty type of character. Not really made for closeup, but with displacement/tesselation hopefully will work well enough from a reasonable distance. Fullbody should be no problem at all.

random_npc_by_polyphobia3d-d5izdxh.jpg

also i'll update the turntable, hopefully the compression isn't as bad as it was yesterday evening, playing around with codecs right now :X

[vv]52113412[/vv]
    god i'm going crazy with this shit, where is the audio now?!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    some bloody inspiring artwork in here dude, so post moar!
  • Santewi
    Mind posting ingame wires of those characters? They look like they have million polys but that's probably not the case :P
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Oh there is a simple reason for that. The models are tesselated and displace d. A normal character will be around 8-10 k Tris in the first Lodlevel its hard to say how much they have with tesselation. Lets say they are dense :) Right now we push the art but keep optimizations in mind so we can easily lod and scale textures later on for 3rd person view. Pi
  • fightpunch
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Gotta say, love the style of this, that red nosed fella is sublime.
  • m1neh
    Awesome is everywhere!
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Really love the art direction guys. Keep up the stellar work. Always get excited when I see an update. Can't wait to see more!