fogmann polycounter lvl 17
And we're in!

Content coming soon.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ho shit! nice combo, should be one to watch!
  • buddy the designer
    Humphrey Bogart for teh win.
  • buddy the designer
    Sorry for double post, but I'm wondering, does teams have smaller chance of winning than single person? Or it doesn't matter for judges?

[sorry for spamming your thread fogman/snowfly]
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey fogman, dont mean to rain on your parade but it seems like Snowfly is teamed up with struve as well.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem to be permitted for one person to be on multiple teams

http://www.dominancewar.com/2/readbrief/index.htm

Thought i'd give you a heads up
  • buddy the designer
    Just wanted to post about it Fuse, there's new point in rules, marked in red. One Entry per person, You got to choose one SnowFly.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    dear fogmann,

i am very interested in your upcoming dominance war 2007 entry.

sincerely,
    gauss

PS - as i think i point out readily in my own thread for this year, there's no reason why Snowfly or any other talented artists can't help you out, it just can't be an "official" team-up. i helped a ton of people last year and as i recall, i don't think a single one considered me as a proper teammate. no, i don't feel betrayed (*sob*). aaaanyway, your attention to detail and craft of your 3D work has impressed us all here, so please keep us updated on the progress of your character for this compo. given your style and predelictions in terms of subject matter, i am particularly keen on seeing where you go with this.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    these threads do go down fast! here's what weve been up to..

fogmann4.jpg

we're going for a flame thrower wielding lady (yes that is a lady) atop an elegant flying insect mount, aka DEATH FROM ABOVE!! the horse-like beetle is the latest.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    nice work man......middle right looks the most badass...
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, sweeeeet!
    So it will work with wings, you think? I really also like that middle right one, very interesting shape. It looks like grumpy old bug that has nothing left but to fight until it drops. And then the wings look like whole another character. Great job smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update! just fleshing out the creature design for the mount. so hard. some things are working, some not...as is always the case at this stage...

fogmann5.jpg

sinewy underside, tough hide like leather, hardened shells on the front end, head fashioned like a bayonet, 'X' shaped pectorals. taking my cue from horses this time, i've always been fascinated by how an animal that's built to run can have such spindly legs.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the concepts you're kicking out are badass snowfly, great work.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Snowfly, that is a fantastic looking mount. The wings may need to be a bit larger though.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I love this, Snowfly! Even though it is now loosing insect and getting more mammal features, I think it's looking awesome. Anatomy looks believable, and also I think it's working with the rider. I was a bit concerned that she might be on the way of the wings, but you pulled it off so nicely, since the wings are at the front, where the most of weight is, which in turn holds the balance.

I can't wait to start working on this, it will be sooo much fun! I don't think I was ever so excited to start working on something, yay! Come weekend, come!
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    I love that first skecth...the flying monster on the right....that is one of my favorite pieces of concept art in the contest, very cool man.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    sexay concepts snowfly. they look fun to ride
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    That is wicked awsome!
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - FredH - polycounter lvl 18
    I am surprised you didn't go with the middle right one, that one was radiating potential! However, this one is pretty good too. On first glance, it looked a little unbalanced, but I got quickly used to it.

Anxious to see how this beast will develop. If he gets too big, I might have to put my gun on a higher kill setting hehe

_FreD_
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the thing is, i know where Snowfly lives. i've actually slept in the same room as the man, and yes, if you must know, while he slept i dipped his finger in ink and pressed them into my sketchbook, while incanting an ancient art-thieving spell. but it seems he's got more than enough to spare laugh.gif
    puh-leez keep this thread updated.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr. slinky bunny hop r stealer of mojo frown.gif

small update. maybe done with the mount, but i'd like to try another variation. working on the rider and weapon now. thing is, she is designed almost as an accessory to the mount, and looks pretty boring without it...

fogmann6.jpg
    art-flamethrower.jpg
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe... maybe u could do it the other way around? make the girl the pet who does the beast's bidding?
    cuz the mount looks awesome. it's shapes are nice and features like the feet and face and neck are really interesting. i luv the colour scheme too.
    unfortunately, i have to agree with u with the girl being boring. If u ask me, i think u need to do some funkying up of the pants, shoulder 'pads' and gun. For her mid-section you could add little vials or grenades... or maybe technical equipment and ammo etc.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I loved how the skybax riders' uniforms incorporated elements of the skybaxes themselves in James Gurney's "Dinotopia" - maybe this insect-mounted girl's uniform could pick up more cues from the body of the insect? Seeing her bizarre proboscis-like helmet in the first of your two most recent drawings made me think of this. smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input guys. smile.gif

indian boy - yup actually, the rider still is who's in control. i was just mentioning that her armor is being designed to complement the look of the beast.. like noritsune is suggesting. which is why the beastie was designed first.

fogmann brought up the idea of pets taking on their owners and vice versa, and that's what we're going for... struggling, but getting there. smile.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <3!!!

I think it's coming together very nicely. What is missing maybe is as suggested something around the hips area that will add an element of interest and break it up, but the silhouette is already quite interesting, because of the cape and cool looking shoulder pads.

And please don't feel constrained by anything I said smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a variation.

fogmann7.jpg

just rethinking how the creature would look from the ground, so i blackended the bottom to give it the "shadow" look, and fllattened out the structure to fit the idea in the thumbnail. the legs were simplified into spines, as flight trumps ground mobility. and i imagine it would have a demonic looking walk, when it does walk.

the rider's name is lola, and she likes chucking bombs at things and watching them explode.

got stuck in renderland and it's veering away from supersoldier, so maybe this is a throwaway...at least we're more sure about the textures of the creature now.

?
    fogmann8.jpg
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man! Hey Snowfly, I was digging that helm that the ridder was wearing three images up from this post. Matched the creatures head and body structure so well it almost seems as if the rider is a part of the creature. Just a suggestion but I think if you were to keep a helmet on your rider you should keep that head gear. Looks bad ass and flows better in my opinion. Keep in going looks awesome. ooo.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this one also, wow! I just turn around and you knock out another awesome concept. smile.gif

This creature looks quite massive, as if it would be hard to take off and fly though. Perhaps it doesn't have to be flying per se (as in having to flap its wings), so a gliding kind of creature could work too, methinks. Like with the horse legs, I thought it could jump really high up and really fast, so that it can just jump off into the air and glide towards its victim.

Since it's finally weekend, I will start blocking in female body, and I will also try to come up with some shapes of the beast, or somehow try to help you with helping me laugh.gif And since I've never done any four legged, let alone winged creature, I think this will be a hell of a challenge, and a whole lot of fun too. Weeeeee!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the other body better... the proportions were more equine and it looked horrifyingly nimble, and insectoidal enough to believe it could fly with its proportions. This new one is cool, I especially like the head area, but it looks more like something that would gallop/shamble along the ground. As others have pointed out, the armor and helm of the rider that matched the critter was a cool feature and is missed in this image.

As far as coloring goes, usually flying animals are white on the underside and black on top, so that when looking up they blend in with the sky and when looked down upon they blend in with the dark landscape.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Wow snowfly, just wow. That is a fantastic concept.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Holy crap, that is bad ass!
    Its like unicorn meets a dragon meets somekind of incredible killingmachine type insect. I can't wait to see this modelled!
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Each concept is getting better and better in this thread. Rock on!!
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked in the base, so next is to see how different pieces of gear and armor will fit together on top of this base. I'll refine it a bit more with sculpting t00lz, just need to fix some funky edge loops.

dw2wip01.jpg
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The topology looks good; will the sculpting t00lz involve some cool Mudbox action? This concept would make a good Mudbox model. smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now that is one fine looking female model!

here's a new sketch, i was going for something that *gasp* actually fits the brief...figured there was hardly anything shadowy about an armored woman with a blowtorch. this one is more the sam fisher-one man demolition team type.

fogmann9.jpg

here's the peg for the mask. we'll use the same styling on her weapon, probably a long-range proximity mine launcher of some sort. with laser targeting and stuff!
    maur_iko.jpg
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    wow! snowfly awesome drawing of the rider, and fogmann nice model to start. though I think that the neck is much too long on your model... other than that super! cant wait to see more!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your guys concept and model run-ith over with all kinds of awesome.

You might need to start trimming some polys if you have armor and an entire other character left to do.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, that concept rocks, Snowfly! It will be lots of fun to work on it, can't wait to get home now smile.gif

And thanks for the comments guys, the model is just a base for high poly, and I'll chop it up into pieces and add stuff on top of it. Yeah, the neck is kind of long, I agree.
  • Black_Magic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man!, I like a lot all your concepts, good luck!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    This entry is all types of sexalicious! Can't wait for more!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    awsm concept, snow fly
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    really cool stuff, both of you! smile.gif
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    concept looks great! good job
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    its this kind of stuff makes me want to work harder, model and concept smile.gif
    snowfly your rendering skills make me jealous grin.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Loving this piece, I really really hope you guys finish this, as I love the flow and deisgn of it. Great skills snow on the renders.

Spark
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful, simply Beautiful, Snowfly.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy damn! There's some nice stuff in this thread. Great concepts and mesh, well done both of you.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, thanks a whole fucking lot, snowfly. i look at that last color sketch of the girl and for a second i wish i had spent the last 5 months on my wacom. smile.gif
    this is a tag team of epic proportions--fogmann, you've got an excellent basemesh on your hands so far, one that i'm sure you'll be able to make good use of well after this compo's over. can't wait for more, honestly.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glad you guys like the girl concept! she's too swat team/present day for me at the moment. definitely needs more evil TM.

boring update, just sussing out the anatomy and proportions for the steed. the head is starting to weird me out though!

fogmann10c.jpg

gonna work on the accessories after i get back to my other cohort, struve.

general shapes to shoot for:
    bison.jpg
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Snowfly, first off awesome concepts throughout this contest! Kudos! I really love the mount a lot. I'm gonna have to say my favorite is this image. The mount has a longer and slender proportion that really give it a more fluid and elegant feel. Something I think that really adds to the aspect that this thing flies.

Anyhow, keep up the awesome work man.;)

fogmann6.jpg
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for what it's worth, here's the first iteration...

fogmann10b.jpg

thanks for the input nacire, appreciate it.