Home General Discussion

GAUSSWORLD 06-07: oh hey, Flickr photos!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
CURRENT LOCATION: Tokyo, Japan
formerly:
Kyoto, Japan
Nagasaki, Japan
Hiroshima, Japan
Akita, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
Canberra, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Lots of other places, New Zealand
Waikanae Beach, New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Los Angeles, California
San Diego, California
Portland, Oregon
Chicago, Illinois USA

gaussworld.jpg

That's right, international polycounters! Some of you may have heard an unofficial statement or two about this, but it's finally happening. As my father did before me, so shall I take roughly 6 months to a year's time to travel the world.

I've freelanced for the past two years that I've been out of college, and while I've enjoyed it, and certainly looked forward to getting a full time on-site job somewhere, I knew I needed to take this opportunity in my life to travel. So that's exactly what I'm doing.

Starting on the 3rd, I will be flying up to Portland, Oregon (sorry Seattle pcounters frown.gif ) for a 2-3 week contract, then down to Los Angeles, California.
Then sometime around late September I will be flying into Auckland, New Zealand (Milla, I'd like to say hello!). After seeing that lovely country, I will travel to Sydney, Australia and likely noodle around that grand country for a while as well. After that I will likely go visit Snowfly at his new job inSingapore, and undoubtedly come to Japan (watch out, Hawken!).

Now here's where it gets a little murky. Much like the west coast trip I took two years back (visiting many a happy polycounter), I would prefer to travel where I know people. SO. <u>If you're somewhere in the world between Australia and Europe (I'm heading west), send me an email with a phone number/basic contact information and I'll see if I can't visit you.</u>
I know this might seem weird, but trust me, the only weird part about it is when we don't know what each other looks like, which is why I'm posting my picture so prominently at the top of this post.

I'm sure I can get some testimonials from polycounters who I've visited in the past, but I assure you that I am a courteous and entertaining guest.
Before I fall asleep on your couch/futon, we can:

-have all sorts of entertaining exchanges on a variety of nerdy subjects you don't normally have anyone to talk to about

-go somewhere and sketch--hey, even sketch in EACH OTHER'S sketchbook, giving you a bona-fide gauss original in the process

-have me viciously moderate a post of someone you don't like in the forums while you watch--complete with hilarious running commentary!

-go dancing, drinking, engaging in acts of petty vandalism, etc.

How's that for incentive, eh? Seriously though, I really prefer to travel to peoples' homes when I can, it makes the whole experience so much more rewarding for everyone involved... and I'd love to be able to meet up with as many of the international polycounter as I can. Youse good people.

So to repeat--basically if you're just about anywhere in lower Asia or Europe (Africa isn't looking very likely, South America may also be on another trip), please shoot me an email at driftingjack at gmail.com and I'll see if I can't come visit! Australia is roughly scheduled for October, I should be in Japan and other parts of southeast Asia shortly after. I'm really looking forward to Europe, but I probably won't be there for some time.
Please post any questions or comments you may have. To answer the first and most obvious question, yes, I am that good looking in person. Well, not quite that buttery soft of a complexion, that's Painter's doing.

12/25/06: Merry Christmas, polycount, from a photobooth in Akita.
photoem8.jpg

update: flickr photos are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30065897@N00/
in reverse chronological order, of course.

Replies

• _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    If you come to Vienna, Austria, drop by!
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    he made me feel uncomfortable
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    he made my toes tingle n_n
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you come to Vienna, Austria, drop by!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we've definatly got a space to offer
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    u can meet a bunch of polycounters here in london smile.gif what do you think?
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    awesome awesome awesome...this kind of thing is what life is all about. enjoy the hell out of it.

Its a pity your wont make it to Africa. Southern Africa is a place everyone should see before they die (i am originally from S. Africa myself). It is a hell of a detour though, so maybe next trip eh?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    same,if you are in Amsterdam drop by.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i still havent washed the sheets he slept on when he visited me. the essence of gauss is mine!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    hey Gauss, that friggin' rocks, congrats! I am excited for you, I'm sure you will have one hell of an adventure.
    Questions about how you planned this out, as I would like to do something similar one day in the near future, How much did you save up for this trip?, and how did you budget for food and places to stay? Did you already purchase all your flights in advance? (cheaper) What are you taking with you? Big bagpack? Laptop?
    I wish I lived somewhere exotic to have you come and stay, but if you are ever in the east coast, even after this trip, you definitely can crash on my couch smile.gif
    nice self portrait btw!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you're snubbing the Seattle bunch, I say good day to you sir, GOOD DAY! =P
    Serriously though, I hope you enjoy it Gauss! It sounds like a lot of fun winging yourself all over the place. Getting out, gathering ref and building up creativity. Remember to take lots of pictures!
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    I've always dreamt of doing such things but I doubt think I could build up the courage to actually spend the time. Good luck though! sounds totally sweet!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    That's an amazing trip there gauss. You should do a blog journal thing during your trip. I'd love to see pics and hear what you think of places that I'll never get a chance to travel to.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Im guessing you're going to be skipping beautiful Las Vegas Nevada on this trip, but my couch is always open for a Jack-Attack!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    you know he's only going to Japan for happy finish .
    and to mack on the LoliGoths in Shibuya.. though i guess the go hand in hand.....

i expect pics of you in full japanese goth attire. with monocle!

XD
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    -have me viciously moderate a post of someone you don't like in the forums while you watch--complete with hilarious running commentary!

-go dancing, drinking, engaging in acts of petty vandalism, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put me down for one of each, please poly108.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    He is indeed that good looking in person, although the bust alone really doesn't encompass the entire package that is Jack wink.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Damn dude - that's awesome. I'd also be really curious as to how much planning and money it's expected. I've been thinking more and more lately about circumnavigating the globe in 80 days, trying to take Phileas Fogg's route as near as possible. F*** airplanes. It's all about trains and ships.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    No stop in Washington!? Fine, my extremely huge and comfy couch DOESN'T LIKE YOU EITHER!!

I'm envious dude, that sounds like a damn fun trip round the globe. Have lots of fun and debauchery, but don't let any savage locals rape you!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Already chatted plenty about your trip in #md, gaussoid, but still, have a safe and memorable trip dude! (Safe as far as the traveling.. be sure to go buck wild in all those countries!)

Like I said before, if you happen to stop by in the bay area, I can't offer you a place, but be sure to drop me a line (this time tongue.gif)!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are a very sexy man.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I bet San Francisco -- a city far more visitable than Los Angeles, I'll meekly point out in a very loud voice -- will squeal in appreciation simply by being flown over by the gaussiest of gausses on his way somewhere else!

Let me know what time your flight is and I'll throw a friendly wave skyward.

smile.gif
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Let me know what time your flight is and I'll try to correctly time a surface-to-air missile.

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad you're not comin up to the pacific northwest. It's better than everywhere else.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg tells the truth. Too bad no seattle this time around. You beter make it up here next trip. If not i'll send oxy down to make love to your arm.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    As long as it's his drawing arm. Don't worry, I will be gentle to such a treasure.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    does guass come to britland? gauss drink!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    hmm get a pint of warm flat beer in his hand and a tart from essex for him so he can get the real england feel lol..
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The folk from R*N will take you out for mucho fun. Please don't have a lezza haircut.
  • Sidwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidwell polycounter lvl 18
    Just remember that no matter what time he goes to bed he won't wake up before 2 PM.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well if you're down the southern end of my country perhaps we can organise some sort of Polycount get together. You really don't want to visit my house though. Trust me.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Raleigh NC is the place to be, suckah!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'm gonna charge rent
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, I live in Australia. w00t.

If I can get to Melbourne I would love to hit the pubs or crown with you guys, but I have some pretty hard pilot exams on at about that time, so it might not work. I also do not have a house. Lol, I live in Tamworth most of the time..
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss is the genuine article.. whatever that means.
    I've hung out with him.. twice (each time he brought his brother who is relatively similarly minded) and its true, you can in fact talk to him about things you can't with normal people and he only looked at me funny a few times!

But be forwarned, just as soon as he's there, he's off again like a gaussian blur.... Pun intended, So use your time wisley. We got hamburgers at a local truckstop.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Well, should you make your way up to South Australia you would be more than welcome spend a sensual weekend including fine dining at the nealb4me estate smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Lol, I live in Tamworth most of the time..

[/ QUOTE ]Well there we go. You can take Gauss out for a taste of the sites and more importantly sounds of Tamworth.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come to dutchieland, You can feel up Pior while i watch!
    And depending on my next appartment, there may or may not be couch-sleeping. I'll keep you informed.
  • Oddmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oddmind polycounter lvl 17
    bah no east coast?! thats your loss :P Me and Chaos Live purty damn close. Peace up A town down! hahahaa...
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Lol, I live in Tamworth most of the time..

[/ QUOTE ]Well there we go. You can take Gauss out for a taste of the sites and more importantly sounds of Tamworth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Country music me up, baby.
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    how does one go about funding such travel? this is something i would love to do while im still young but i cant really quit my job.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Everybody: PLEACE EMAIL ME basic info if you haven't already!

Shimmer, Prs-Phil: Thanks guys, count on it when I get to Europe!

Sa74n: man, once I get to the UK, I'm only going to be leaving when the authorities throw me out smile.gif

Chaos: Tell me about it... Africa and South America would get included too, but I just don't have enough contacts and I'm also traveling alone. So some other time.

JO420: Looking forward to seeing Amsterdam again.

r13: you better not sell those sheets on ebay--oh right, you can't sell soiled items anymore. woops.

steady: I thought about planning it extensively as some people do, but no, this is going to be a pretty fast and loose kind of deal. some pre-prep, but no overt trip planning or ticket buying aside from the first leg. it works for some people, but I don't want to constrain myself to a timetable--some places i know i'm going want to stay for a while, some places i might not hang around so long. this gives me as much flexibility as i need.
    basically here's what i'm taking:

a carry-on sized duffel with clothes, sandals, toiletries, and some room to spare for souvenirs (marijuana bricks)

a satchel with all my real essentials: the sketchbooks, pencils, cell phone for domestic and a GSM mobile for the rest of the world, ipod, digital camera plus camera connector to shunt images to the ipod, outlet adapter set.

that's all i'm taking... traveling light is always a good idea, but i particularly wanted to avoid taking a laptop. i've been plugged in for most of my life already and i'm sure i'll be plugged in for most of the rest--also, i'd like to work up my traditional drawing.
    i may or may not hit the east coast on the return leg of my trip, we'll see how it goes smile.gif

Vig: highly regrettable, i know! Seattle is lovely place, i'll miss seeing the lot of youse.

PfhorRunner: it's a little intimidating, i'll be honest, but i understand it's well worth it laugh.gif

Scoob: no LV this time around, sad to say--but i think that might be its own short trip some time once i'm back and with a job, itching for something fun to do.

Snemmy: you better believe i'll take hundreds of pictures in Japan XD

AZ: hi-ho, I'll be in Portland in just a few days!

sledgy: oh you, flattery will get you everywhere ;(

Luxury: as i said to steady, i'm going for more the free-wheelin' approach rather than the structured. as to budget and route and other various interesting places, i found this a really nice site:
    http://www.bootsnall.com/rtw/05-01/travelers-on-roundtheworld-trips.html
    different travelers of all walks of life talk about their trips. budgets and traveling styles can vary wildly, it's all about what the best fit is for you.

ebagg: i know, i know sorry -_-

flaag: thanks man, enjoy your trip as well.

EQ: right back at you big guy. hey, is that a new meshsmooth level you're wearing?

Mal: well if the elusive Malekyth is to be found in SF then a stop over in that city might be advisable after all, eh? you'll just have to pick me up at the train station/roll me out of the gutter!

TGZ: sad, yes. but i guess you won't get to admire my apparently no-jaw having self this time around, you vicious imp! laugh.gif

oxy: flattering and horrifying, all at once!

rooster: gauss will likely never leave britland once he gets to britland. saving the best for last and all that smile.gif

Rick: wouldn't miss it. is me having a lesbian haircut somehow a concern? am i currently sporting what would be considered dykehair??!

Sidwell: i find that comment insensitive to my half-vampire heritage.

Jackablade: right on. No real idea of my Australian itinerary, but we'll see.

Moose: like i told Steady, very possibly on the return trip--i don't suppose Epic would hold that concept artist position open for about a year or so, would they? smile.gif

hawken: i charge hourly rates!

Smirnoffka: well, check back to see when I actually get to Australia. could take a while, you might be clear of the exams by then.

Orph: i'm made out of 100% gauss, thank you very much.

nealb4me: sensual indeed. hope to see you as well as the other australian pcounters smile.gif

MightyPea: right on, right on. thank you for already establishing email contact, btw.

Oddmind: maybe on the faaar return leg smile.gif

DeathbyChris: i've been living at home freelancing these 2 years i've been out of college. that's where my trip money comes from. see the link i posted for the reply to steady for some interesting literature about world traveling and some cost ballparks--people are surprised at how cheap it can be.

PHEW! ok, i'm writing this less than 48 hours away from Portland, Oregon, which is the first stop. Please all Socal and Southeast Asia pcounters touch base with me via email smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if your coming anywhere around the london - england area, i'll be glad to show you around my hell pit, complete with drink, drinking games, "modern art", very badly designed buildings, women, loose women, tight women, women who look like dudes, dudes who look like women.

and if your lucky, you might even get to have a free guitar lesson from me.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    will you come to portugal ?
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    If you ever feel the need to visit sorta remote parts of norway (we have mountains and expencive beer! and snow if you come in the winter..) I have a couch for you.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    You have a room here if you want to make ways to Fort Lauderdale.
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    u can meet a bunch of polycounters here in london smile.gif what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thirding or Foruthing the London thing. cool.gif

Maybe some of the Identity Crisis crowd from round UK could hook up too, gotta try hunt them all down.
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    awesome thanks for the link! have fun on your travels
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Update: I leave SoCal tomorrow and will arrive in Auckland, New Zealand, on Friday morning. Trying to get a hold of Milla smile.gif Sydney will come soon after NZ.

almighty gir: don't worry, i sure as hell am coming to London smile.gif

Johny: I don't see why I shouldn't!

Slash: between Slash and Per128, what doesn't Norway have to offer?

parasite7: 'ppreciate it, though it could be a long time until I hit the states again smile.gif

Sabby: a polycount meetup would be fantastic.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Dang, how did I miss the fact you were here in LA? HOw did you not remember I live here and let me know? How DARE you sir! I wanted to hang with Gauss again, oh wells.

poop.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    oh Poop-chan ^_^ i'm not gone yet. i'm currently in San Diego, I'll hop on the train in two hours. I'll be LA tonight, so after I check in to the hotel near the airport at around 5:00 or so, it'd be great to grab dinner or some drinks or whatever. that is if you've got some sort of transportation option other than your own two hippie feet or hippie bicycle, whichever it is that you go to work with. expect a cell phone call shortly.
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    Come and have a weekend with us! Gwarn, you know you want to laugh.gif