Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lictor

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Something I'm doing for my showreel, just started the zbrushing.
torso1sjy5.jpg

Replies

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Tyranid Lictor?
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like a guy with a skincondition laugh.gif
    Kinda neat, anyhow ^^
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Is it the head, the body, something else? What is it!!!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Im pretty sure its the chest. And it will have four arms
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    lictor...

dib_lictor.gif

Edit: I didnt draw this! sorry didnt mean to confuse. I was just posting for those not familiar. go to www.gamesworkshop.com to check it out
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, tyranid lictor. This is the torso, I'm doing it in parts. Sorry I didn't mention that before, I was in a rush to go see snakes on a plane hehe. That picture Chaos posted is one of the reference pics I'm using, there are a couple of others of different variants.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Woah, great concept. Original.
    Do that, buddy!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wouldnt call it original anymore... the tyranid race has been around for a decade or so =]
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    the lictor's got a whole chtulu thing going on
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, getting more time to work on this as my degree is finishing. Did more detailing on the torso, trying to make it look more organic, and started detailing the claw.

torso5sdc6.jpg

claw4zn5.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing! The Lictor has been one of my favorite bug minis for a while now. It sits on my monitor and has begged me a few times to model it but I resist. You picked a tough model to make and its looking great so far!

The stringly part around the elbow looks good but I think you should make some of them thicker. Kind of hint that some of them are used more than the others. something kind of like this:
    Lictor.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    vigs suggestion looks good.. cant wait to see this model I love 40k, keep it up!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Vig made the suggestion I was going to... right now it looks like they're all one level, like a net, instead of a web of overlapping tendons.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That is looking fantastic. It ought to be amzing once you have the whole thing put together
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice looking dude=)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys smile.gif And much appreciation for the paintover Vig.

Thickened up some tendons a bit and did more detailing around the rest of it.

claw8sm3.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think what Vitor meant, wasnt just to make them thicker, but think about how they are going to be working. at the moment, they arent going to be able to pull the arm down for a strike, because for the most part, they are wrapped around the joint. whereas, if you look at his paintover, hes added a couple which head up the joint instead, which would give the pulling power required, something which is lacking at both joints on your mesh.

good job so far though =]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almighty_gir you said what I was trying to say much better than I did, thanks.

/me climbs on soapbox
    I like the improvements and no doubt that area isn't easy to work on. BUT it looks modeled in place yet is an action pose. You need can create motion even if the character is not moving (if that makes sense). Something brought that limb up something flexed or retracted but we don't see what. If you can create visual force holding that limb back then you get a sense of what will happen when it is released.

Don't get me wrong this model is everything I have ever hoped to see a lictor be, it looks great and my issues with the tendon parts are very minor and that area could already be a nightmare to work on without having to redo it, so at this point I would say keep that in the back of your mind for the next few joints.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oops, sorry i saw a V in your name and thought you were someone else xD sorry man!

regardless of my crit, i really like where this is going, 'Nids have always been one of the coolest looking armies.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll get back to the claw later for final tweaks, it's nearly done I'd say.

I started on the upper arm, but the pictures I have of lictures don't show the arms in much detail, so I've just sort of been faffing around trying stuff. This is what I've done, but I'm not happy with it. Ideas are most welcome (even starting the sculpting from scratch).

arm1ur3.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started zbrushing the leg.

leg3uq8.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Whoa... That's some insane detail. I take it that's a material property to have the indents be darker like that, right? Damn, I need to borrow those zbrush dvds from my uncle. I want to be able to produce something of that quality.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    im loving it so far, only comment is that the hand feels very blah compared to the rest of the details you got there
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wierd, I typed out a post but it didn't seem to go through.

@ Makkon: Aye, the material has some bump to it and cavity shading, the very rough parts are actually sculpted, and enhanced a bit with the material. I've read material properties like this can be baked into the map in zbrush, so I might give it a shot. Not sure if those tiny details would show in the normal map though.

@Yelius: I wasn't happy with the arm (hadn't actually started the forearm or hand, so what you see is just the subdivided base mesh with the material). I moved onto the leg instead and restart zbrushing the arm later.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling the leg pretty much done, I'll likely do some minor stuff later. Next will be the pelvis and tail.

leg6ajj1.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You might be better to go with arms like this fellow
    51-13.gif
    evolving towards a mantis typed look, rather than the more human arm proportions.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I like the original Lictor better than the figure you have in that picture.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I think I prefer the hands in the concept art better, but I might play around and try the mantis look, or possibly something in between.

Anyway, I started putting in the main details of the tail. I think when I normal map it though, I'll do the tail in sections and have them all share the same uv space.

tail1ayl4.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on the head. Still much more to do. I'll be working the web tissue stuff further down the tentacles so it flows better, then carry on with the rest.

head2kg3.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Nice update, Lupus.
    U're doing high rez for normal map?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I think the webbing stuff would work far better if it weren't so normalized a lattice... right now it looks like its a net or article of clothing he's got on.

Another things been bothering me about your piece, and I finally realized what it: You've got the same noise texture as a bump over everything, seemingly uniformly. While this might be a quick way to get some surface detail on the chitenous parts, it really shouldn't be on the sinews and other soft parts.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's just from the material I bunged on it, I haven't gone into projection master yet to add those micro details. I'll try to remember to remove the colorbump setting in the material next time.

The webbing has been really getting on my tits trying to get it to look right. I've restarted it a bunch of times. I'll removing some of the strands and using the move tool to shift stuff abou and try to make it look more natural.

EDIT: Removed the noisebump from the materia and worked on breaking up the uniformity of the webbing.

head3lf6.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still unhappy with the webbing, I tried again, doing it a bit differently. Do you think this is better or worse than the version posted above? I think I prefer this one, but I'd like to hear other opinions. This wouldn't be the finished version of the webbing, I'd break it up a bit more.
    head4hr0.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how about this, instead of webbing up the tenticles in a dutch lattuce kinda style, why dont you deviate slightly, and go for the slimy, frog toes kinda webbing? it might help define the head from the rest of the model, and could well give you an easier time.

i imagine it would actually look prety cool.

the reason i suggest it is this: the webbing your using at the moment is very muscular in the way it works, and is found mainly in jointed area's. the mouth tenticles themselves are muscular here, and merely need something to keep them together, so a membraine is probably a better shout.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a quick go, but couldn't really get the right look for it, I think with the tentacles being close together didn't really let me get the membrane look I tried.

I went for something a bit more simple. I need to get on with this character and this has held me up long enough, so I think this should do. I'll move onto the arm now (last bit!) and call the head more or less finished.

head7bib7.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Righto, slapped the bits together in Zbrush as a test. It's a bit akward placing a lot of pieces, and the perspective distortion in zbrush is a bit off, but it has helped me judge proportions. I'll pull the shoulders in and down a bit, close up the 'collar' part more, shorten the arms a bit and sort out the legs.

zcomptest4seb6.jpg
    High res:
    http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2594/zcomptest4rq6.jpg
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    fuckin'A!!! That's hot!!!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome Lupus
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Holy crap that looks really good!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    This is definately some awesome work. Good stuff, Lupus.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, ultra badass.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work here Lupus, looks like you've put a ton of effort in, and it really shows.

I love the upper back arm things, they look awesome here.

However, there were a few issues that I think would REALLY improve this model and make it truly excellent... fortunately mostly i think they can be done just by simple tweaking of proportions (should be able to do this with FFDs or by modifying your lowest subd level in zbrush).

Here's a paintover to the effect of what I was thinking:
    lupus-lictor.jpg

Basically the proportions need some big ol' tweaks... at the moment he's really top heavy, the head seems too big and the legs too small. Just scaling up everything from the waist down and scaling down the head would fix the "dumpy" look.

Also at the moment the arms look like they're some sort of sleeves he's wearing, and they look very inflexible.
    The hands are awesome, but the silhouette of the arms needs more variation, and you need to sculpt in some joint definition around the elbow and inside the elbow - at the moment it looks like he can't bend his arms at all.

Hope you don't mind the paintover, I reckon this guy looks great, just needs a few final tweaks to push it over the edge into awesometown. smile.gif

Keep it up!

-MoP
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool model but Yes i prefer Mop proportions, very good tip.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, those are some of the proportion adjustments I was going to make smile.gif I've been taking the lower levels into XSI now to sort them out. I'll also be pulling the shoulder (of the arm) further in and lower a bit (and raise the head a touch) so the the neck flows into it. At the moment the shoulder is actually above it, so doen't look like it's conencted. I've also got to sourt of the connection areas so the limbs can actually move hehe. The elbows were being a bit tricky to sort in Zbrush (probably because all the bits so close together) so I'm planning on sorting that in XSI. Hopefully I'll have a better pic tomorrow. The model isn't actuallya s deformed as it appears in Zbrush. The distortion is just magnified by the uber perspective hehe. But I suppose that is good in that it helps show problems.

Much appreciate all the support smile.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice result, dude.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gah. I've got a problem now (a new one anyway). I've taken subd level 2 of each piece into XSI and tweaked proportions, but when I bring the mesh back into the appropriate tool, the detail on the higher levels is smoothed. I exported the base mesh from zbrush, tweaked then reimported incase it was the subd level 2 that was the problem. But I'm getting the same thing with this: smoothed out details.

I don't get it, since it's always worked fine for me before as far as I can remember.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    how are you baking your normals?(or are you even planing on baking normals?) if your using it for a game rez model just go ahead and make a low to these porportions and bake your normals. then make the porportion changes on the low. if its just simple porportion changes and not mid to high level form adjustmets(like new muscle forms, or detail stuff) then it should still look fine.

also you can make a morph target of the ideal porpprtions and the old porportions, and make sure and UV the target ideal porportions, so when you bake them and chage the porportins there will not be too much streaching involved.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. I'll be building a new game mesh around the parts. I wasn't sure if there would be a problem with baking normals and doing the proportion adjustments to game mesh.

Looks like I can start the low poly mesh today then smile.gif