Home General Discussion

Green with envy

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Verm.. considering we had the car in running, working order at the start of the project, as opposed to buying one in similar condition, that's at least $10-15k less what the initial price would be (severe over-value markups on cars as rare as this one currently). The body-shop work has totaled in at around 20-30 grand (of course, this is a bit higher than any normal body shop because we wanted some top-notch work done). We've easily put down another $10-15 k on parts. Overall, I'd say this will end up being somewhere around a $50k project. The only reason we were willing to go that far with the costs (besides the sentimental value of the car) is because when done it could easily sell for a couple hundred thousand on the low end (though there's no plan to ever sell it).
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, thanks for the info. I knew it would cost a lot, but that's more than I'd have expected.

How much would you expect it to cost if you had the same car and were simply trying to get it in top-notch performance shape? Nothing exotic, just meaning what it would take to restore original high-end 1970s street race capability without regard to looks?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's see... Motor could be anywhere from a few grand (used, good condition) to upwards of 25+K for a full ready to run supercharged crate motor (keep in mind I'm going off current Chrysler prices, may vary greatly on your engine brand / source). Disc brake upgrade kits are generally around 1-3K, and front suspension / steering upgrades are a few grand as well. I'd say with a budget of 10K you could have a pretty sweet setup; low-balling it would be around 5K, but if you're doing performance, I wouldn't want to low-ball it if you value your safety (speaking of which, a good safety harness / roll cage if you're going really crazy with the horsepower would probably be a few grand, and a little more than that on a less common car).
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again, very interesting. My dad had a 69 Cutlass Supreme when I was growing up (vanilla, not the 442, but still awesome) and I've always had it in the back of my mind to see about getting one. Never wanted a show car, but something I could have fun driving...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heck yah. smile.gif

You could always get lucky and find one in decent enough shape to drive around as-is. Don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy a stock muscle car. smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, like Flaagan was saying, prices will vary greatly depending on what you're buying. I know for a long time Chevy Small Block 350s were dirty cheap basically. I believe they still are. The more obscure the engine, the more expensive it gets to rebuilt. For me, I have a Chevy Big Block 427 and it was a bit harder to find parts unless it was a generic big block piece, so parts tended to be more expensive.

I've been out of the loop for a long time now though. My car's slowly turning to shit because family life has taken away my cash and time. Actually, if you're interested in a 79 Firebird with a 427, let me know wink.gif I got it to the point it 'ran' but never got the vehicle finished. There's no driveshaft and still has stock axle, which would never hold up to the power, so I've never even driven it frown.gif. It's sitting in Michigan looking for a new home.

Flaagan: So you're going with more of a cruiser styel then I assume. I don't have a lot of knowledge on Chrysler's stuff, but I see the 904 has overdrive in it. I was mainly curious if you were going for automatic or manual, but I had some curiousity on the model too smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman.. guess you could say that. The car was an automatic to begin with and we weren't going to hack up the body for any reason such as switching to a manual ('sides, the old "SlapStik" shifter's too much fun to get rid of). The fact it's a 904 and not the bigger 727 actually panned out well for us, as the 3" exhaust system we ordered wouldn't fit with a 727. We did swap out the rear dif gears for a positraction setup, so no dogleg burnouts for this ride. smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, yeah, the Torqueflite is a must-have for the 'Cuda. I don't think I've ever met anyone who could manually outshift one of those things in a straight line race.

Did you pick the 904 before you knew the 727 wouldn't fit?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Verm.. original transmission smile.gif

This Barracuda was kind of a 'low man on the totem pole' model except for the convertible option. It was originally a 318 2 barrel with a single exhaust. confused.gif

... we fixed that problem... laugh.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t cam stock with the 904? I thought the 727's were standard. But then, I only know from hanging around garages, so I won't be surprised if I'm wrong smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    engine_04.jpg

cuda_04.jpg

cool.gif

Engine and transmission are installed.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Oh this is looking sweet. Love Cudas. Did a run from Palo Alto to Reno in 3 and a half hours (and only ont ticket) the car had a 440 with a 6 barrel Holley in it, and we had to stop for gas twice (and got the second ticket while fueling by a cop in a Monaco who we passed, accellerating up hill on I-80 (above 300 ft. Altitude that he couldn't manage, and ticketed up for going above 60 But couldn't get us for more. the suspension was tight, for that heavy front end, but it was an impressive ride.

P.S. thrn there was the 20 minute from San Francisco to Palo Alto on I-280 in a 1972 Plymouth Road Runner...

Scott
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooooooo~

Can you say 3" Exhaust~

exhaust_01.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i'm visiting your place once this is built. regardless of if we've met before or not.

I'll be the guy with the crowbar.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit, the 70 cuda is my favorite car of all time!!! :O

Love the color you painted it. smile.gif Can't wait to see how it turns out!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHY ISN'T UNDER THE CAR YET?!! wink.gif

Does the exhaust exit in front of the axle?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup, doubles back at the muffler then hooks around and points down towards the rear wheels (like so). Plan is to get the system hooked up this weekend and then off to the powdercoating shop on monday to get it ceramic-coated.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cuda_05.jpg

Got a good bit done this past weekend. Headlights installed and plug in. Got the driveshaft installed, so from the engine to the rear wheels we've got a full drivetrain. Started putting some interior framework in. Almost completely assembled the heater system, if I hadn't misplaced some clips it'd be together and I could have installed the dash and steering column as well. Got the larger radiator installed along with the dual-electric fan setup. Dad got a bunch of interior pieces cleaned up, fixed up, and painted. Overall a very productive weekend, and the ball should really get rolling over the next few weeks.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Uhh nice! can't wait to see more
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like it's gonna make some great noise!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash and heating system / ducting is in (woohoo!), dad's handling cleaning / painting / repairing interior pieces, so the dash may be near complete by next weekend if work isn't hectic.
    cuda_06.jpg

And another fun lil shot of the engine bay.~
    engine_05.jpg

Kind of amusing, didn't think the first "Barracuda" tag to go on the car would be on the interior. tongue.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another interior shot, instrument cluster installed (still needs to be wired up), steering column and other interior bits coming soon...

interior_01.jpg

aaaand a teaser shot of the AAR exhaust... we still need to finish making a custom hanging setup for the mufflers and tips, but it's all bolted together regardless. AAR cudas aren't exactly commonplace amongst this already-rare breed, and there's absolutely no coverage of how the mufflers / tips are hung from the car in the shop manual (we have the reproduction hangers, but they don't really work as intended when the 'stock' AAR stuff isn't on the car).

exhaust_02.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    article_218-img_0.jpg

Okay.. NOW I'm green with envy wink.gif

Btw flooj have you seen Honda's endevour in to xB territory?

I even like that... and its sooo more bread-box than an xB.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laugh.gif

It looks like it ran into a wall.. and that dash for some reason reminds me of a table at breakfast time.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I can hear the guy inside screaming "Come on.. come on... faster!!!" Looks like the Element had a baby.

Anyway you definitely need to give us a audio clip when it's runnin.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd have to kick my own ass if I drove that Honda. BTW, check out the new xBs. They've been changed.

Flaagan, you know you're supposed to take off the plastic before installation, right? wink.gif That instrument panel looks gooooood. Is it brand new?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notman.. I figured we'd make some balloons when we fired the car off... or at least a really large version of blowing the wrapper off your straw. wink.gif The instrument cluster is the original, we sent it off for reconditioning a while back.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I didn't know you could have them restored like that. Either they do a damn excellent job, it just looks good in the image, or it wasn't bad from the start wink.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks better than it does in the pict, and they did an excellent job of it. Before we sent it in the pointers were faded almost to white (instead of the bright orange), and all the white text was grey and dirty. The odometer looks brand-spankin' new. Kinda wish we'd also had the little lights / roof control panel done up as well, but that's relatively easy to remove if we want to do that in the future.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a lil' update on things, been rather busy lately, both with this car and other things.

cuda080507.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you fire her up yet? Everything looks wired and ready (aside from interior and I'm guessing driveshaft)

BTW, who's caddy in the background? wink.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Driveshaft's in, whole drivetrain's hooked up. smile.gif

We could go through the process of getting it to fire up now, but there's plenty of other things to get hooked up / installed. Granted, my dad wants it up and running first, I'd rather not skip over other details that will be a bigger pain in the ass to install if everything else is slapped on.

The caddy in the background is my dad's 95 seville sts. It's parking outside now since my 'vert vette gets the only garage space left. cool.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured the drivetrain wasn't complete yet since you have the blocks on the rears. That or the brakes weren't complete. Then again, you may just be more cautious than I am wink.gif

Either way, you've got to be getting excited now that it's near completion. Are the rest of the interior pieces ready?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    looking very nice, fixin' up old cars is such a daunting task, i'm sure you'll be happy to be done smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being this close I don't think I would leave it alone. It's lookin awesome. I can't believe that's a reconditioned dash, wow.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman.. (drum) brakes are in (and the lines to 'em), but they don't have brake fluid or the parking brake lines in yet. Definitely 'being more safe' seeing as my dad has personally known a few people killed or seriously injured by cars rolling. Heck, even though it wasted an entire weekend's potential progress a few weeks back, he refused to let me go under the car to hook stuff up since I was going to be the only one at home.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my dad's the same way... he hated when I worked on my car with no one else around. Actually, my uncle has a nice sized scar on his face from a car that fell off the stands and the metal under the rocker panel caught his face. He was lucky that was all that happened. His buddy was under the car too, but I don't recall what happened to him.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more updates... been a lot of 'behind the scenes' stuff lately... shift linkage, wiring, lights, etc. Getting everything done up correctly behind the dash has and still is a long a tedious thing, with little to no reference to go off of (I didn't take any photos of that whole setup when disassembling it... mistake on my part.)

092207_1.jpg

092207_3.jpg
    Amusing note, the car's only got a mirror on the driver side (and of course the rear view mirror).

092207_4.jpg
    Still gotta fabricate a mounting bracket for the 8-track stereo so I can fill the gap on the right.

092207_5.jpg
    Hey... shift happens. laugh.gif

Oh yah....
    092207_2.jpg

cool.gif
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Man, I've been in love with Cuda's since I picked out a purple hemi-cuda model when I was like 10. I made that the best model ever, got in there with toothpicks for the small details and everything!

All I can say is you have one hell of a baby on your hands there! I really hope to someday have some heavy metal of my own. Can't wait to see it finished!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mount for the 8track? Are you saying you're putting in an 8track, or trying to fill the space meant for an 8track?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Putting in an 8-track... well, back in. tongue.gif
    The guy my dad bought the car from put in an 8-track stereo, and it works. I've even got an 8-track to tape converter (big cartridge you put the cassette in). For the short week or two I had the car together and running a decade ago, I would cruise around with the 8-track to tape converter in, with a cassette-to-stereo jack hooked into that, with that hooked up to a portable cd player, with that getting power from the cigarette lighter. laugh.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like it would just be easier to hide a CD player somewhere... but that's just me :P
    Actually, these days it's probably easier to integrate an iPod somehow. But having a 8-track to cassette convertor makes things a little better.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You think I'd put one of those shiny turds anywhere near the cuda? laugh.gif

Besides, our cell phones each have about 2 gigs of memory, so we can put music on there and wire in a line-in at the very least. Next level up beyond that would be to hide a newer stereo in the dash or center console (been talking about that). Uber-next-stage beyond that... the right most gauge on the console is supposed to have either a clock or a tachometer... was talking with my dad about the idea of getting a small lcd screen, mounting it in there, and putting a car-puter in the 'cuda. Would be a bit of work, but I could do it. Would have GPS nav in the car then. smile.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    man i must admit .. that is all kinds of badass
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, well, I meant iPod as more of a generic term. The car-puter would be cool though. I was researching doing the same thing about a year ago, but couldn't get a decent display option worked out. Thinking about it now, using a smaller screen, like you'd need, might be a decent option. I was looking for something 7" or larger. My company was tossing OLLLD laptops at the time and I was hoping to use the LCD from one of them. Unfortunately there is NOTHING standard about LCD hardware in laptops.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the weekend work was dedicated to getting this lil guy fabricated.

8trackrack2.jpg

That... is the holder for this...

8trackrack1.jpg

That... is an 8 track tape player. Just about as retro as you can get without diggin up one of those in-car record players (yes, they exist). The stereo was originally held in place by a simple metal strip, and I wasn't going to have any of that kind of crap in this car. I made the support out of a piece of L-bar and some metal rods welded to it and then bent to shape.

At this point the instrusment cluster is complete and wired. The wiring needs a bit of cleanup and organization, but otherwise it's complete. The passenger side of the dash still doesn't have the ash tray and glove compartment installed, but that's relatively easy work. At this point, my dad and I are talking about possibly putting the carpeting and seats in next weekend. Here's hoping. smile.gif
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    was this car originally Automatic? Damn this project looks fun as all hek.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... and I wasn't going to have any of that kind of crap in this car.

[/ QUOTE ]hahaha nice.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    all you really need is a PC in the trunk with Winamp to load on start up of the machine and a number pad control in the car. laugh.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kub... I was keeping up on the car-pc scene up 'til a few months ago (when paying for my new ride became more important tongue.gif ), but if the car-pc trend keeps up on the hardware end doing something like that would be a rather easy thing in the not-too-distant future. smile.gif