flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    POWER BULGE HOOD~
    20110710_hood01.jpg
    20110710_hood02.jpg

Snooooooort~
    20110710_hood03.jpg
  • 00Zero
    MMMMPH. looks epic. good job.

about that car show. ive never understood this, but why do people bring (seemingly) stock new cars like that mustang and challenger to shows like that?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Loving the hood. Gives it a nice evil snout ;)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero - it was a company car show, so employees brought their rides. For 'normal' car shows.. I dunno.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    gieeeff meh nao :D
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    awesome. I'm super green with envy.

loving the low Baja. Is that a stinger exhaust? I think they are illegal over here (UK).

lambo would be my last choice in that lot. unless I could sell it and buy all the others.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    awesome. I'm super green with envy.

loving the low Baja. Is that a stinger exhaust? I think they are illegal over here (UK).

lambo would be my last choice in that lot. unless I could sell it and buy all the others.

That Lambo's the CEO of Brokade's. He had a sign in it saying "feel free to sit in and take photos"... which caused a lot of headache for me keeping people from getting their mitts all over the cuda and climbing in and out of it. :poly127: I was also a little irked cause that guy's got a Veyron and he brought a Lambo instead... I mean, come on.. *rare* million + dollar car or a Lambo... You don't have to think too hard about that!
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    well the veyron is too precious...
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. I've got a Ferrari GTO 250. But I tend to just show off my Ford CMAX....
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I am starting to think about fixing some cosmetic issues on my 91 civic SI hatch. I got some minor hail damage last month, but can maybe pop the dents or something...

Just replaced my AC condenser and dryer. Biggest job I have done so far on my own. Gives me a much better appreciation on what a full restoration project like this entails.

[edit]
    Love the hood. Seems like you found a nice compromise with your dad's idea for a painted one -- or maybe you can get a third hood and paint that :)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update's kinda irksome. The fiberglass hood's starting to bow up in the middle some, getting in contact with the body shop about a few ideas for fixing that (mostly involves strengthening the sides with metal strips). Also, apparently the power steering pump's decided it doesn't like being used any more and has started making a rather unpleasant noise... going to have to call up Year One about replacing both that AND the power steering gear this week... oh joy.
  • 00Zero
    seems like you've been in power steering hell throughout this project.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero wrote: »
    seems like you've been in power steering hell throughout this project.

Just about... kinda wishing I'd pushed harder sooner to switch over to this setup:
    http://www.magnumforce.com/magnumforce_tubular_kmember.htm

The time and money that's been spent trying to sort out this 'stock' steering setup has probably surpassed what doing that setup would've cost. If I didn't have my own project car to worry about now I'd be tempted to just pay for that upgrade and be done with it.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it common for this generation to have steering issues? Just curious if someone might have some advice to resolve this issue once and for all.

That hood issue sucks too. Could it result from having the hood open for extended periods? (like car shows ;))
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Is it common for this generation to have steering issues? Just curious if someone might have some advice to resolve this issue once and for all.

That hood issue sucks too. Could it result from having the hood open for extended periods? (like car shows ;))

The steering issues is a mix of things (I think in part because it's all rebuilt stuff).

As for the hood, that's mainly because it's the tension against it from the springs against it being held down by the hood pins.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    As for the hood, that's mainly because it's the tension against it from the springs against it being held down by the hood pins.

Ahh, that makes sense too
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, that makes sense too

Yeah. Seems kind of silly since we put springs on that are specifically softer for fiberglass hoods. At least the hood's a hell of a lot lighter (and easier to open / close) than the stock hood.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya folks!
    It's been a while, but got some updates on the ol' Barracuda.

This past weekend was this year's Mopar Alley Rally, and we decided to get things sorted out and make it...

... well, I've got some good news, as the images below will show...

moparalleyrally_cudaclose.jpg

moparalleyrally_cudaline.jpg

It was a blast driving it to and from the show in the absolutely gorgeous weather. We lucked out cause it rained the very next day.

The car definitely got a lot of attention, especially when I was driving it up to the spot. We arrived late, and had to travel through the rest of the show instead of using the 'main' entrance... everyone was turning around and oogling the car as I was driving it up.

Definitely made my day.

There's still plenty to sort out on the car (electrical and mechanical gremlins), but man, what a blast to drive!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice yours really stands out, the car works really well as a convertible.
  • walreu
    Lookin sexy! I would definetly be proud to own that car.
    ..but i can't help imagining a large darker green Greentooth logo in it :D
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Another green car, just got it done, with all the general discussion talk, didn't want to give it it's own thread. Hope you don't mind :)

Youtube video of the process in HD-> [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff6WXtuPUR0"]Graffiti Car by Daniel Levin - YouTube[/ame]
    j17m02.jpg

63tvs4.jpg

vo50qv.jpg

Done by a graffiti artist friend of mine, rattle can with a matte clear finish [hides all the hail damage]. Rims and tail lights on the to-do list.
  • Kave
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    That looks terrible.No offense.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    lol. Following up a raw insult with "no offense," is ridiculous. Man up, and own your statement. No offense.

But about the car: Huh, that is interesting. I probably would have gone the stenciled route, but I guess since you guys elected for spray paint in the first place, you probably wanted that loose feel, haha. What are your plans for the rims and tail lights, if you don't mind me asking?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the flat graffiti goes well with black glossy wheels and tinted/glossy windows.

Personally, I don't like it. It looks like someone stole your car and tried to vandalize it. Vandalizing is different than graffiti, where someone is attempting to create a design. Take for instance your image, with the graffiti'd walls. Your car doesn't blend in, because the car has random lines, rather than attempts to create artistic elements. Additionally, none of the graffiti lines flow with any of the body styling.

But then again, I'm an older guy and maybe I just don't get it. What really matters, is do you like it? And maybe you weren't looking for opinions, which is why I initially didn't reply, but since Kave didn't provide constructive feedback, I figured I would pop in with some.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Vandalizing is different than graffiti,

If it isn't vandalism, then it isn't graffiti. :P
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wish it worked more with the lines of the car, I don't think it looks horrible.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ya, still considering gloss clear, but I like the feel right now. Also, I don't know if I can gloss it, due to changes in the level of the paint and the matte clear already on it. Anyone think that's possible?

Plans for the rims- they are curb rashed to hell, bought the set on craigslist for $100. So I am probably just going to paint the chrome lip green. And for the tail lights, I am probably going to tint them black.

I love the hell out of it. Anyone who knows me knows the car is my style. I like crazy stuff. It puts a smile on my face every time I walk up to it. As far as opinions, sure if you have one. I just thought I'd share with you guys. It makes me laugh when people don't like it, makes me like it more somehow, so I don't mind.

I understand it's not graffiti, but I don't have a better word for it besides insane. :)
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    ^^ what ZacD said.

Some people like only super clean paint jobs, others messy jobs, I can like both. Atm, it looks so random that it doesn't look like an actual paint job, it looks more like a blur of colors going down the road. Not saying that I hate it, just that I'm not loving it.

You could probably give it some clean lines over what you already have to pull it all together, give it some direction rather than the randomness.

But if you like that then go with it, doesn't really matter what anybody thinks, unless you try to pick up girls in it.:)
  • Kave
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    lol. Following up a raw insult with "no offense," is ridiculous. Man up, and own your statement. No offense.

But about the car: Huh, that is interesting. I probably would have gone the stenciled route, but I guess since you guys elected for spray paint in the first place, you probably wanted that loose feel, haha. What are your plans for the rims and tail lights, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not trying to insult him though, hence the no offence, taste is subjective etc and i think that looks bad.

If i was like "I FUCKED YOUR MUM KILLED HER AND TOOK A SHIT ON HER GRAVE.NO OFFENSE" then yeah, i guess what you said applies.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I kinda like it. I wouldn't do it to my own car but its cool. It'd make a change seeing it on the road. Cars are bloody boring these days. Fair play to you for making something different.

I'm not a fan of the smudged areas. Particularly noticable on the door panel. I think the whole thing would look better if all the lines where sharper.
  • Mark Dygert
    I'm not a fan of the thread highjack, "oh sweet Goddess of Monday you have brought back a favorite thread of mine! What gifts have you brought me this day!?"

WFT!? Where are the new Cuda pics?! MOther FUCKER! I've been cheated! Worst Monday ever. Oh cruel Goddess of Monday you are a tricky bitch.

Anyway...
    Is the 'new thread' button really that scary? Why not leave 13 pages about one particular car, about one particular car and start a new thread about another car?

Oh what to do with all of the saved electrons? The possibilities are endless...
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Mark, though maybe with a bit less sarcasm ;) I too was initially hoping for more 'Cuda pics, or an update on Flaagan's Morgan (though I see those on his blog).
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Sorry guys, anyway to move all the posts? Or just delete it all, I'm cool with it.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I kiiinda want to make a paintover of that! I think it could look very cool if dynamic graffiti shapes were grouped together. Right now it's way too busy to be readable but it could be turned into something cool with a second pass...
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick vid, adjusted the idle speed setting up a hair today to try and keep the thing from stalling when in gear and warmed up.

Took the video with my Galaxy Nexus, pretty happy with the audio quality.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZbaoK5LLGk"]Rumble rumble rumble.. - YouTube[/ame]

I've done some other stuff recently, which I'll post up in the next day or two. :thumbup:
  • rooster
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for some more updates!

Start with a pair of photos from taking my cousin for a cruise in the car a few weeks back. Just fun to share.

cousin_cruise_01.jpg
    cousin_cruise_02.jpg

Next up is a new way to hold the fiberglass hood up that I made. The previous setup, a pair of pvc tubes with hood pins on the tops, was starting to risk damaging the expensive fiberglass hood, so we needed a more 'hands off' approach.

new_hoodpin_01.jpg
    new_hoodpin_02.jpg

We've mused over the idea of blacking out the rear bumper area like some cuda's have had done, but didn't want a permanent paint on there. Plasti-dip (which I've used on my Corvette and other vehicels) gave us a solution!

plastidip_rearbumper_01.jpg
    plastidip_rearbumper_02.jpg
    plastidip_rearbumper_03a.jpg
    plastidip_rearbumper_03b.jpg

Holds up well, and can just be peeled right off!

Another project for the car we're working on is a shroud over the gap between the front grill framework and the radiator, to both hide what's down there and help direct airflow. This is secondary to the next project, so at the moment I've only been sketching out the outline of it.

radiator_shroud_design_01.jpg

The other thing I'm working on is using the CNC router at work to create some custom inserts for the hood scoops on the fiberglass hood. Originally we'd had the body shop cut out the inserts by hand from some perforated steel we'd provided. We wanted something a little more most custom looking for the car.

hood_insert_design_01.jpg
    hood_insert_design_02.jpg
    hood_insert_design_03.jpg
    hood_insert_design_04.jpg
    hood_insert_design_05.jpg

And for reference, here's one of the original ones with the one I made below it.

hood_insert_design_06.jpg

I just tested the new one on the hood and have to make a number of small modifications (hole location, overall size, etc). It's not surprising since I didn't have much in the way of reference, but the new one's marked up for me to go off of for both sides.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Must be nice to finally be a point where you can just play with small upgrades/tweaks now ;)

BTW, what's been going on with the MOG? I haven't seen a blog update in a while
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    The MogRod's been stalled for the past few months due to other things going on and my previous designs for the new chassis being too complicated to easily start tackling. I've been looking at some kit cars and other folks project vehicles lately and decided to go back to a simpler straight box chassis.

With any luck in the next month or two I'll be able to start building the new chassis and pick up steam on that car again.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks so much better than a perforated steel mesh, I wonder how many people will actually notice it though.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Looks so much better than a perforated steel mesh, I wonder how many people will actually notice it though.

Dunno, don't care. It's one of those details that needed to be taken care of. :)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are the best upgrades IMO. The small details that are done well enough that people don't notice them. They just know SOMETHING is cooler about your car, even if they can't place a finger on it. You can also usually find the guys who really know the car, because they'll be the ones to point it out ;)

And for the record, I probably would have gone with black, but they still look good :P
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    They will be getting anodized black in the near future. Was going to powdercoat them with some other parts, but realized the powdercoat would add too much thickness for it to fit properly.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, they are still aluminum, aren't they? I thought you had painted them the body color, but they are probably just reflecting the body color.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I know pretty much nothing about cars BUT I just wanted to chime in a say thank you for mentioning Plastidip and posting pictures of what you got done with it - I've been researching it a bit since you posted about and now have a few cans ordered, as it seems to be one of the most awesome DIY products I ever heard of !!
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I know pretty much nothing about cars BUT I just wanted to chime in a say thank you for mentioning Plastidip and posting pictures of what you got done with it - I've been researching it a bit since you posted about and now have a few cans ordered, as it seems to be one of the most awesome DIY products I ever heard of !!

Some useful info for you:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php
    This guy pretty much created the 'plasti-dip your car' craze and wisely made a business out of it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-general/2987345-plasti-dip-fans-please-enter-if-you-dont-know-now-ya-know.html
    Corvette forum with a bunch of discussion / results from guys who've used it on their cars.

You can usually find the black (and occasionally clear) Plasti-dip at Home Depot and Lowes, only place I've seen the red and white versions is at True Value.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, they are still aluminum, aren't they? I thought you had painted them the body color, but they are probably just reflecting the body color.

Yeah, I don't think the green would look too great on them, bit too much of it at that point. Depending on how the look black, I may plastidip the area around them on the hood (where you can see the scoop outline is simulated).
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to mention, replaced the stock kickdown linkage with a Lokar kickdown cable over the weekend, so now the kickdown on the transmission actually engages when you accelerate.

Took the car out to test it on the nearby stretch of freeway, shock and awed a bunch of Prius drivers with the beasty.:angel:

It was loud before, now it's loud and angry! :poly130:

A number of mechanical and electrical gremlins persist that we'll be spending time on in the near future. "Working on the car" is something for me that's beginning to pick up steam again, which is nice since the MogRod project is stalled until I can design the new chassis.