Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

aquaboy

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Just started working on this while two guys were installing the new heating device at my flat. Showing them wings3D ins and outs was big fun smile.gif

3d_aquaboy01.jpg

Roughly based on this sketch :

sketch_aquaboy.jpg

I'm giving him a more neutral/spirited away face expression to convey a fish look... Because fishes don't really have facial expressions, do they?

But he'll have big muscles anyway smile.gif Crits welcome as usual...

www.pioroberson.com

Replies

• CCPhil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CCPhil polycounter lvl 18
    hehe first wink.gif

I like him. Cool style like always but I like the eyes on the scetch more. He looks a bit innocent and stupid with the round eyes, now I like that, but I think the more slicker eyes would make the char visually more interesting smile.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Looking cool and clay like Pior, will he end up as a normal mapped low polygon character or is this just some high poly fun?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cute. I think to make it look more neutral, you should make the ends of his mouth curve up less.

Here's a pic of a random fish head to help out a tad.
    Browntrt-61-Head.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That is fantastic. Wings 3d huh?...I should check that out.
    I prefer the model to the sketch.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    The sketch reminds me of those alien guys from The Fifth Element.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Oh Pior, you silly silly frenchman. I like it, it is much rounder than your normal models. Yet it still has that Pior pizzazz I know and love. Good work mate! Show us the rest.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Scoob, I prefer the model's face to the sketch also. It just has a more friendly, likeable character - yay!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cool stuff pior! can't wait to see the body modelled
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGphil, yeah he sure looks kindof stupid now... but thats part of the character. I thought he was a bit too mean on the sketch, and redid some rough studies to find a more bland/cherful/easygoing look that is in my opinion more fishy like. Just a matter of taste I guess smile.gif

Illusions, it's going to be ingame someday for sure. The goal was actually to try out doom3 built-in normalmapping tools that seem faster and more reliable that both orb's and max's. Oh and the clay look comes from the dead easy material editor in silo 1.3. This app is powerful for sure smile.gif

Thanks for the pic Neo, I definitely need to grab more refs like that. As for the mouth, it really depends on the fishtype : some have a kind of 'upperlip', a bit like this or this. Plus giving this part a dark and shiny look can increase the overall aqua look. But hey I'll also try what you suggest smile.gif

Scooby, I used wings3D for the lowpoly subD cage only, smoothing and detailling has been done in Z2. Anyways if you push wings far enough you can get kickass results straight out of the app too. Its free, powerful and superfast to the use.

Hollow, now that I think of it it's true! Mangalords, right? I guess it comes from the little tentacles that look a bit like the Mangalords floppy ears. But in the end it's going to be fish tails/fins on the model smile.gif

Poop, been trying to avoid too much 'plastic' stylisation on this one, hard edges and all, for a more natural fleshy look. And it's fun! Can't wait to model the rest, yeah. Next step, body roughing!

Haha thanks Moppius! You'll get weekly msn updates with this one smile.gif

I'm with you ether! Can't wait either!

It's going to be great fun smile.gif Dunno if I'll have much time to spend on him in the next few days but now that the head is started I guess there is no choice left... GOT TO MODEL!

Laterz

www.pioroberson.com
  • sniper 1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sniper 1 polycounter lvl 18
    your stuff is such an inspiration, pior. I love your style.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah prior, you can definitly tell it has your style to it. And, if the rest of the model is like the head/face, you should have no problem achieving that lack of hardedges and more of a round look you're going for. Love the sketch too - is it yours? (I'm assuming it is).

Show us more!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    AHAH, FRENCH ROCK'S

HAR HAR HAR
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Damn pior thats koo but I thought I was going to see Aquaboy of the teen titans. Damn talk about a suprise. heh.
  • spider2cool
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yum highpoly love tongue.gif

3d_aquaboy03.jpg

closer
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Sweeeeeet ass pior. Very sleak and smooth.
    Can't wait to see this guppy done;)
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
    jezus, your skills with Zbrush are phenomonal, looking fantastic. Coyld you show us the low poly cage you Zbrushed on perhaps ? OR maybe reveal a bit of your workflow in ZBrush and such for the people like me that just cant seem to get the hang of it wink.gif Please ?
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing model, I really like how smooth it is. Can we see some wires of the head please?
    P.S: T'es vraiment trop fort smile.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Exellent work Pior, I really dig the design laugh.gif Top notch work !
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i'm glad to see more work was done on aquaboy, it's looking nice.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    model looking good so far. great sketch
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dur, that's actually what I really enjoy with highpoly... You can put all these little bevels and groves that catch light nicely around the corners of sleek surfaces. I like that smile.gif

Jama and Ramu, a little workflow collage for you here :

3d_aquaboy04.jpg

1. Once the idea is laid down on paper the model is quickly roughed in Wings3D (which is my weapon of choice when it comes to quick polygon modelling. You just have the tools you need, and the whole app is geared towards fast workflow).

At this stage I mainly care about building a clean yet simple quadratic base mesh with only the main facial features suggested. (you can actually push the mesh density higher if you have precise ideas at this early stage. It's just that what you gain in precision an control, you loose it in terms of potential and freedom).

2. The mesh is carried on to Z2 using the .OBJ format which offers nice export/import features and has great cross-application compatibility. I had to divide the mesh 5 times here to get enough density for detail modelling, but with a finer base mesh it could have been fine with 2 or 3 levels I guess... I try to add details along the main edgeloops because if you don't, you go 'against' the model and you'd need even more subD levels.

You can notice that if switched back to subD level 0 the model slightly differs from the original. The eyeline is smoother, the mouth is more horizontal... That the great thing with the intuitive ZBrush workflow, you fix things as they come along and you don't even notice it while doing it smile.gif

3. The detailled mesh wireframe does not have the classic precise 'highpoly' look that comes when working on pure subD modelling. The details sortof shift along the isolines... See the eyesocket part for example.

4. All the 'hardware' modelling (tech parts, tubes, aso) is done with the usual subdivision method, just one level of division here. At this stage I prefer Max over Wings for it's solid tools such as dynamic symetry, grouping, hiding and all. The Zbrushed meshes are displayed as bounding boxes since they are simply too heavy for my computer to handle. Instead I display the level0 mesh wich provides good enough guidelines for modelling and proportions. I switch the head models visibility when rendering the scene.

I also enjoy using the 'turbosmooth' modifier in Max for it shows great optimisations over the standard meshsmooth. Realtime display of smoothed models is around 5 times faster... It saved my life for this model since my 1GHz cpu couldn't handle it otherwise.

Voila! Sorry for the long talk smile.gif

Gunt, Ruz, thanks, and KP, where is that avatar from? I like his looks :P
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    prior:
    it is from the second of two very well done flash animations by adam phillips. they are both worth watching, imo.
    the first called "Bitey of Brackenwood" can be found, here. the second called "Prowlies at the River", here.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool stuff so far smile.gif
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I prefer the name "seaman" over aquaboy! laugh.gif
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
    man Pior I LOVE YA, haha thanks allot for that work flow tutorial, youve given me the ZBrush floo, so im gonna doodle around a bit right now laugh.gif

edit : Man my first try wasnt THAT bad you could see it was a face, but it was all smokey and bubbly and all, it looked like his skin was melted and it had no natural flow, how do you get such a CLEAN looking Zbrush object, which brushes do you use most, do you smudge everything into its form or ?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started on the upper body...

3d_aquaboy05.jpg
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin awesome pior. Personally I would've kept the fishy dreadlocks from the concept, but otherwise lookin tight and very well stylized.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very, VERY cool Pior. I love the musculature. And the face. Oh all of it really. Im not *quite* convinced by those super stubby fingers, but you know what you're doing smile.gif Can't wait to see how this pans out!
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing stuff, man. I just had to tell you though, every time I see a render, my eyes rest on that mechanical device on his chest, and it always screams to me "tourist with a camera". I picture him suddenly picking it up and snapping some shots. Maybe it's just me though.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    looks really cool. i hope you keep the little tendrils on his arms. infact, a few around the face/neck would scream "aquatic" imo.

and Aqualad from TT has got nothing on Red X laugh.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    magnifique - awesome.
    Nice concept and realization.BRAVO.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rage, yeah they might come back!

Daz, I agree about the fingers... I'll shrink them domn later on as soon as I have the normalmapped lowpolygon model ready.

Pseudo, I thought about that too! It's kind of annoying but fun in a way smile.gif And it can be easily tweaked into something else.

Badge, I note this down!

Dizzy, it's far from finished smile.gif

Been having sampling some realtime textures with normalmap photography yesterday. Works great! The fur andleather turned out surprizingly well.

nm_samples2.jpg

divx5 vid :

http://www.pioroberson.com/files/normalmap_photo.avi
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Looking top notch so far. When you get to the full on normal mapping stage, I'd like to know how you deal with the overlapping objects (like the straps over his shoulders).
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    great model, and great normalmapped photographs laugh.gif awesome technique, never though it would turn out that good smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    normalmap photography? what the hell is this black magic?!?!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese, it seems like the built in Doom3 normalrender handles that pretty well. Check Vahl's tut and models smile.gif

Vahl, yeah it's super easy and never fails. I've made some more samples using a camera stand, they are even sharper!

Hawk, tutorial here :
    http://66.70.170.53/Ryan/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html

I'm not following the exact same steps for the final compositing but you get the idea. All you need is 6 shots of the object : left, right, top, bottom, above, and diffuse lighting. I simply merge a negative version of the left shot in incrustation mode on top of the right shot and put that in the green channel of the final normalmap. Then do the same with top/bottom, in red channel. And the above shot is adjusted and used as blue.

Normalize.

And voila! Fully working normalmap, easy to use as a texture overlay. Works great!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fleshy bits done!

3d_aquaboy06.jpg
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Dang, P!
    I just want to bite that ass!

looks nice and crisp!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet as Pior. It has your distinct style stamped all over it.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Damn that's crisp! Only thing I would comment on is perhaps the underside of the tricep being too straight? Otherwise...hot damn that is sweet!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    damn pior ! what a good use of this pinch tool ! smile.gif I would be VERY interested of a mini tutorial of how did you get this sexy result. I'm still a little "rough" with Zbrush.

Anyways, top notch work !
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I can definantly tell if you've done a model pior. smile.gif I know you're trying to break out of your style somewhat and be able to do nonstylized characters (which you've done before) but most of the time your characters are so damn cool nobody cares that they are somewhat stylized. Love your stuff dude. Keep up the good work!
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, Pior! Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, but felt I should comment. Much niceness!
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    arghh that ass can crack nuts great looking work
    but why does my zbrush dont do this kind of stuf?!?! wink.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the normalmap photo link, and good looking model so far
  • Teddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy polycounter lvl 18
    the Pior touch crazy.gif
    design, anatomy...all is great
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Please say you'll release a low poly SDK when you have the time.

I love it, can't wait to see it finished.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    i usually dont bother posting in these types of threads, but damn thats is so amazing. i cant beleive how stylized it is.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, pior... you make me happy smile.gif
    I like how you have used Zbrush here, you haven't gone and over-detailed everything ridiculously just because it's possible. And yeah, that's one toned gluteus maximus!