Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

aquaboy

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. You have a very cool and distinct style to your artwork. You can always tell when it's a Pior work. smile.gif

Everybody talks about his ass but what about those sexy, oversized clavicles, hehe.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well I'm glad you all seem to enjoy his ass smile.gif

Trying to get more things done, but still a rather long way to go. The pants are a bit plastic-toy looking atm, I'll try to break that down with normalmap overlays in the final texturing stage. And the back of the lower legs needs more curvature...

3d_aquaboy07.jpg

Sorry for the ugly Zfighting, these are realtime screengrabs :/
  • old_man_funk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    old_man_funk polycounter lvl 18
    Groovy grin.gif
    I like your style and can't wait to see the finished piece.
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    That is lovely pior. The shapes are clean and amazingly well defined as usual. I understand that he's still WIP, but some of those bevels might actually be a little too fine considering the overall softer looks of the model (eg. on the boots). But that's jsut nitpicking - I really like it. Looking forward to seeing the texture!
  • Peaceful Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peaceful Warrior polycounter lvl 18
    This guy is looking cool! Love the character design, and very nice modeling. I could see this guy as some new nicer alien species in Unreal 3 or somthing.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    this is so pior its amazing
    ok like everybody said u already know good job
    i dont like the proportions of the arm and/or the chubby fingers
    looks kinda pussy
    like omg they put me in a game please dont hurt me
    i mean what if he wants the scratch his balls?
    he cant reach them!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, awesome (i told you that already!) but I think shotgun is right about the arms being a bit short. it was bugging me a little too, but not really important.
    Anyway, if you normal-map him, it will be easier to change the arm's proportions after you've rendered the normal-map, then you can just tweak the lowpoly mesh and make it a little longer.

Can't wait to see the finished product! smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet as Pior. I love how you get a look to the model that's not 'Zbrushy' at all. Somehow you overcome that blobby look and have the really nice creases that change in weight along their length ( something distinctive in your overall Art style ). Care to elaborate?!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PeacefulWarrior, Unreal3? Hehey that'd be neat smile.gif

Peppi, I'm trying to get more readable shapes here, especially on the boots and the oxygen plug...

Shotgun, seems like Mop read my mind. So yeah, I plan to fix up things as soon as I have the normalmap baked version, which will make things easier to tweak.

Daz, let's elaborate !

Lifepacks and oxygen supply still to be done... Getting there slowly.

3d_aquaboy09.jpg
  • Kristian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kristian polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus, how did I miss this one? Love it! Deliciously chunky shoulderpads and detail tapering in and out like a dream. The arms look great, the way the muscles "pack into" each other really makes the shapes pop. Can't wait to see how this one develops. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I love my pior!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Ah the french, what nice work. 8-) Looking amazing buddy, I really like the shoulder pad details. I can't wait to see this one normal mapped.
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great pior, write a whole character zbrush tutorial frown.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff pior. I have to agree with Daz, I haven't seen much work that doesn't have the distinct Zbrush look to it.

I think it's that your shapes are all contained. Most (not all) of the Zbrush work I see have the muscle details out of the basic shape of that muscle.

Not sure if that make any sense proof reading this. Either way looking forward to seeing this one finished.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    ooh no u gave it pants :E
    lookin good tho but now that nutcrackass is gone
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    ai ai ai - it hurts.
    Awesome ! ooo.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Heyhey Kristian the shoulderpads are also my fav part smile.gif I love my Mop too! Poop, nmaps will come!

Ryan, there is already some of these available... I'm just stealing everyone's techniques here smile.gif Plus classic highpoly modelling, mixed with lowpoly+smooth along smoothing groups to get supersharp edges for free.

Jeff yeah! Can't wait either. Actually I'm glad to have only the lowpoly to do now... I need a break from gazilions of polygons heavy scenes.

Noooo qube, it's just hidden smile.gif It still cracks nuts below smile.gif

Yeah Dizzy, it actually hurts my computer sometimes! But I'm in awe when I see max7's viewport acceleration. The whole scene with two smooth iterations runs super fine on my lowend 1GHz machine, except some little slowdown before moving things around. Isolation mode is great too!

I think I'll leave it here for the highpoly part ; I plan to add much more tiny details on the texturing stage tho.

3d_aquaboy10.jpg

Turnaround! MakePreview is neat smile.gif

http://pioroberson.com/files/aquaboy.avi

Might redo the hands tho, they really need more tension in them.

Yay!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, that's just too cool. I agree about the hands, they look a little blobby and not as well-formed as the rest of him, I think.
    Great turnaround vid... top quality work!
  • Equinoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equinoxx polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice indeed man, love all the hard detailing going on.
    I'm getting some kind of mechanic vibe from this, tho I can't exactly wrap my head around it. I guess it has something to do with his bulkyness which I love.

MORE grin.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    lurve it. MORE DETAIL!!!! MORE MORE MORE!!!
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    that's kickass pior
    keep up the awesome work!
  • yourface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yourface polycounter lvl 18
    this is comming along mighty fine. mighty fine indeed. (000)props(000)
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    This is a really nice model man! really great chunky feel to it as has been said already. Are you gonna use this to normal map a lower poly model this would be so cool in the doom/hl2/crytek engines. Im sure thier would be a few people who would like to see this as a player model.

Jody
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    keep making stuff like that and you won't have any friends left
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Woops Gok thanks for the ingame use question... I totally forgot to mention that laugh.gif

Yes it's more than planned, the model proportions are actually fitted to the doom3 default rig to make the export process a smoother ride. And I've been learning the assets management side of doom3 recently to be up to speed : doom3 build-in normalrender, material syntax, shader syntax. Its all simple when using Vahl's tut, and need a bit more tweaking if you want to avoid lwo's, but in the end it all works smile.gif And with Der_Ton's modelviewer no need to painfully reload doom3 for checking texture updates!

So yeah, 'more detail on the texture' was meant to be read as 'extensive use of normalmap photography' smile.gif

On a side note, how long is allowed for the creation of highpoly character assets like that in a pro game dev environnement? I've not been counting hours on this one since I was working on and off on it but I'm curious to hear realworld numbers smile.gif

Weeeee
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    AWESOME Pior! I could eat that.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cool man this will so rock in d3, do you have the links to the tut your using by any chance?

Jody
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well, haven't posted in this thread yet because every time I look at it I become sick with envy! damn good show smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    very cool man, love it. its coming along nicely!
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
    dannngg, great your still working on this one, soooooooo sweeet laugh.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Gok, it's Vahl's tut, a search might pop it up.

Ingame fun! Special Daz food!

3d_aquaboy_nm03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/3d_aquaboy_nm02.jpg

Still have to texture him in a wet, plastic-like way to make it fit smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    Great work and I'm glad you're still working on this model. The shape of the body works very well with the head. Are you planning to release a SDK?
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Woa! That rocks hard Pior!
    Can't wait to see what kind of a sweet texture you are going to create for it.
    Is all the normal map detail from the high poly model or did you add some normalmap overlays too?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    That is great pior. The normal map has some great details in there. Can't wait to see it with the spec and color.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah !!!
    great work pior !!! smile.gif finally your PC rendered those normals !!! tongue.gif

hope you'll release an SDK, I'd be really happy to skin that blobbyboy
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    mmmmmm chocolatey game assets!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    OMG THE NORMAL MAP PIOR, Look pretty cool dude. yup, Except the hands, feel kinda Weird, but I would live with it Lol
    MSN ME U DAMN REAL FRENCH!

AHAHHA
    b1ll
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sexy Pior, very sexy. But what is that litle artifact on his belly?
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    That looks great! The expressionless face bugs me.
    Give him some life!
  • Vince
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vince polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice use of the normalmap.
    I'm very anxious to see a texture on it laugh.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hey Tes, yes SDK is planned if poeple feel like some doom3 skinning with mutiple maps and annoying ingame tests smile.gif I just want to nail down my own little texture first.

Ikraan, just plain geometry details here. I won't have much overlay details on this tho... mostly little mechanical devices here and there smile.gif Some texturing too, for specific fabrics maybe. Jeff and Vince, see below...

Vahl, it took it more than 3 hours unfortunately! Chocalate tastes good too.

B1llouboy, will try to fix that up. I might have been a bit low on the gamerez model on the hands... but you won't see them that much in the end. TGZ, its a kind of artifact while renderbumping... Should be easy to fix too.

The expressionless face was a kind of design choice Cep. I wanted to make it appear rather bland to convey a kind of simple minded, fishy looks. But this might change smile.gif

Okay then, here are some tests.

Not much of a pimping but I won't have the chance to further work on him in the next few weeks hence I just wanted to post some progress.

Working with multiple maps is funnier than expected, I like the almost 'scientific' approach behind the material breakdown. Not that easy to get the desired results tho, since Doom3 tends to make things look metallic as soon as a the specmap is anything else than pure black smile.gif

3d_aquaboy_nm04.jpg

Wee!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wow, saw this a while ago pior and liked it, but it looks great now.
    Its given me back a bit of artistic insiration which I have been lacking of late.
    (Ruz furiously starts subdividing polygons)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great man, those texutre tests are cool.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    er, WOW!

Is there any way you can control the hi-light falloff Pior? Like a smaller hi-light on the eye as If its the wettest part?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Well it's a bit of an issue in Doom3 Daz.

Out of the box the engine is not supporting it by default, hence the way to fake it is maybe to use stronger curvature on the hipoly mesh (like on the eye here, which is a strong shape hence 'concentrate' light somehow.) The highlight shape is not tweakable tho. It can be faked on the spec map too, simply 'forcing' the highlight shape and position with a sharp stroke, you know the trick smile.gif

However! Someone hacked his way through the issue on doom3world here :

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=8255&highlight=gloss

His code is reading the embedded alpha from a diffuse map, and use it as spec fallof level. So yeah it's doable, except that in this case transparency is trashed wink.gif I guess it wouldn't be that hard to implement the code so that it reads an extra fallof map... But not that many results have been posted so far showing the mod i action. Maybe it just needs some more advertising, it has a lot of potential.

But anyways it doesn't work on my GF4 smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That's a pretty neat hack though by the looks of things! But surely that means to get the result you want you'll need to be running a modded version of Doom3 right? Or is the shader something you can neatly package up with the model? All seems like a bit of a malarke!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Can't believe I missed this, i feel so ashamed pior! frown.gif

Lovely, lovely model, love it how your style keeps up even in such a environment and model.

hats of to ya. Anyway, dude, why you never on msn anymore? I misses yous!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yes Daz it's worth the look I think, it's a shame that noone ever tried to push the trick a bit further by creating 'demo' materials with it. I'm almost sure it requires the launch of a mod ( at least that what I did for trying it out, even if I didn't work on my system laugh.gif ) which is annoying but it's good enough for portfolio pics imho...

At least it allows us to play with the tech even before things like the UE3 engine are available.

Pesti, please send me your adress then!!
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    hey prior you gonna stick up the full body screens in doom3? look awsome i wanna take a look at thos "Vahl's tut" but im having no luck i searched on here and on google and funny enough googly brings me back here heheh anyway if anyone knows where i can find that tut let me know, cheers.

Jody