Monthly Environment Art Challenge - May & June 2017 (48)

24

Replies

  • imran.ahmed
    Offline / Send Message
    imran.ahmed polycounter lvl 3
    Hi ,I´m starting with hand-painted prop challenge.
    First  wip...
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    Thanks @kadeschui!

    @Caiterade You don't have plans to texture your book? :( You could take this chance to learn how to if that's the problem. Or you could find someone else to do it and make this a two-person effort (I don't think there are rules against it) :)
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Offline / Send Message
    HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 4
    @Klawd your scenes perspective is spot on!. How did you manage to match the concept so well? I've had trouble matching perspectives from concept art. I've found it especially tedious at times when matching it in Maya and then also getting everything aligned in Unreal for example.
  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 2
    Klawd said:
    Thanks @kadeschui!

    @Caiterade You don't have plans to texture your book? :( You could take this chance to learn how to if that's the problem. Or you could find someone else to do it and make this a two-person effort (I don't think there are rules against it) :)
    Oh no! I totally will! 
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    @Caiterade Great! I misunderstood, I guess you mean't that you are not looking forward to it! But don't worry I'm sure you'll do great! :)

    @HomeGrownHeroz You need to match the camera as best as you can (position, focal length, angle). I did this manually till now, and I discovered that with your eyes alone you can go that far. On @Umbrafoxus hint, in this thread, I learned of the existence of camera matching (Modo has it for example). You give it the image in input, then you manually overlay four lines on it (two left-right and two for the depth) in order for the algorithm to calculate the two-point perspective of the image, and voilà you have a perfectly matching camera. Then you have to overlay your models as best as you can, you put some you think are in the best position to build upon and go from there. This last step is not as easy as I imagined, but if you can manage then the results speak for themselves.
    For example, in my first updates I didn't use the camera matcher, and after learning about it I tweaked my models to fit the new camera, and discovered I had made the room a little bit shorter in height, and a bit shorter in depth than it actually is. Also I had the benches position slightly wrong. I had wrongly assumed they were mirrored on the center but instead they are moved arbitrarily. Same thing for the center piece (as someone suspected earlier), it is a few centimeteres moved on the right.
  • Gobliness
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobliness polycounter lvl 4

    Thought I'd jump into this even though it is a bit late in the month. Next I'll get the bookmarks in and then figure out how I really want to tackle the wood and moss. It's awesome that most people were loving the same concept to model off of, can't wait to see everyone's stuff! :smiley:
  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 2


    I've been sick so i took a break the past few days. I barely made any progress lol. But im hunkering down! Tonight i'm going ham.  

    Klawd said:
    @Caiterade Great! I misunderstood, I guess you mean't that you are not looking forward to it! But don't worry I'm sure you'll do great! :)

    @HomeGrownHeroz You need to match the camera as best as you can (position, focal length, angle). I did this manually till now, and I discovered that with your eyes alone you can go that far. On @Umbrafoxus hint, in this thread, I learned of the existence of camera matching (Modo has it for example). You give it the image in input, then you manually overlay four lines on it (two left-right and two for the depth) in order for the algorithm to calculate the two-point perspective of the image, and voilà you have a perfectly matching camera. Then you have to overlay your models as best as you can, you put some you think are in the best position to build upon and go from there. This last step is not as easy as I imagined, but if you can manage then the results speak for themselves.
    For example, in my first updates I didn't use the camera matcher, and after learning about it I tweaked my models to fit the new camera, and discovered I had made the room a little bit shorter in height, and a bit shorter in depth than it actually is. Also I had the benches position slightly wrong. I had wrongly assumed they were mirrored on the center but instead they are moved arbitrarily. Same thing for the center piece (as someone suspected earlier), it is a few centimeteres moved on the right.
    Yeah. I procrastinate things i get worried about lol. 

    Gobliness said:

    Thought I'd jump into this even though it is a bit late in the month. Next I'll get the bookmarks in and then figure out how I really want to tackle the wood and moss. It's awesome that most people were loving the same concept to model off of, can't wait to see everyone's stuff! :smiley:
    Looks good! I'm worried you're committing too hard to one angle of view. The book is looking super long/rectangular. Fantasy spellbooks are usually pretty chunky.
  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 2


    Been trying to figure out how this leather strap would actually work as a keeper. The concept looks like the strap goes through a hole on the metal keeper, and the other strap feeds into the bottom. Sometimes it's hard for me to make a shape without drawing it out first so from the angle the best i could make out of the shape is this -



       
     
    If that helps you you're welcome to use it. I also figured that the back piece could be separated from the rest of the book, like a shell of treebark taken straight off the side of a tree so it still has it's cylinder shape.
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Hi chosen to do the star citizen scene here is my blockout i started in 3DS max but have began to import into UE4 at the same time trying to get the scale of the scene right. 

    Still need to figure out the door might end up making my own design but keeping the colour scheme used in the concept. 



    Below is screen shot from 3DS Max 


    What do you guys think I still think the scale looks wrong at the moment seems to be a bit too big. 


  • MMGiles
    Offline / Send Message
    MMGiles polycounter lvl 3
    Klawd said:
    It's already the 18th, damn! Finally got few days to work on it though. Today I managed to tweak and polish the scene a bit more. These next couple of days I'll start texturing and assemblying it all in ue4. Stay tuned, and keep up the great work you all!

    Comparison gif of my progress so far:

    Hi, I was wondering if you have any tips on how you managed to get the perfect perspective on the project as I'm having trouble doing so 
  • Gibby1995
    Offline / Send Message
    Gibby1995 polycounter lvl 2
    Second Update on my scene, been slowly working on this over time. I adjusted some of the objects scale to better fit the scene. Trying to get the camera perspective is tough but I think I got it down better than my last post.
      
    Now my aim is to adjust some things like the door locks by raising them and then move to the Baking and Texturing stage of the project.  
  • MGHMahoney
    Offline / Send Message
    MGHMahoney polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, this is my progress so far on the revolver. I'm not quite sure yet how I will make the golden ornaments on the handle and by the hammer, because the plan for the gun was to stay completly inside 3ds Max for the modeling part.
    Please let me know what you think :)


  • jariah
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah vertex
    Hi guys i chose the star citizen scene here is my early blockout i started. I'm a bit late.but better late than never.

  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 2

    Did a bit more work on the front clasp. Added teh bookmarks. Im gonna attempt to hit the bark material today.
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    MMGiles  I answered a similar question above.
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Tweaked my scene a bit more and tried out another render in UE4


  • jnascimento
    Offline / Send Message
    jnascimento polycounter lvl 3
    After a few days battling with the lighting, made something I liked. Still misses some cables, TV images, vases with plants and the sphere material needs some work. I know it's not equal to the image but, I could not walk around it like that, so I stretched things a bit. Any feedback is welcome.

    No post-processing

    Some crazy experiment with oversaturate colors and post-processing

  • IDCrisis0
    Offline / Send Message
    IDCrisis0 polycounter lvl 4
    Finished blocking out the scene today.

  • Gobliness
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobliness polycounter lvl 4
    Caiterade said:
    Looks good! I'm worried you're committing too hard to one angle of view. The book is looking super long/rectangular. Fantasy spellbooks are usually pretty chunky.


    Thank you for the advice! I set up a camera and fixed all of the proportions to match closer to the reference. Ignore the blocked out moss too that's more for me than anything.

    Even went as far to re-do the clasp and went with a similar design to @Caiterade (which thanks again!) :D
    I was looking up reference of books that clasp though and they generally nail/stitch the  leather straps into the outside binding of the book and the clasp has a pin that works "somewhat" like a belt buckle. So I went closer to that design. Honestly I couldn't find anything close to a heavy piece of metal clasping like that in the center so it's up to interpretation really.
     
    The best reference I found for it was:





  • Lukitscherie
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 2
    Well, I got an art test for a job and obviously I want to mainly work on that during the next days so... RIP book  : x

    Maybe I'll have time next month to finish it, or maybe I'll finish it later outside the challenge. Here's where I got, not a lot of changes since the last WIP:
    But still, I'm happy with the topology for the face : 3



  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    Just finished texturing a couple of models. i'm particularly happy with the central holographic piece and the ceiling. Everything else is still wip. I'm not happy with the lighting yet, but still, at the moment light is fully dynamic while I plan on going static in the end.

    Couple of progress pics and a video showing the ball in motion (sorry for the not so great quality):









  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, this is my progress so far on the revolver. I'm not quite sure yet how I will make the golden ornaments on the handle and by the hammer, because the plan for the gun was to stay completly inside 3ds Max for the modeling part.
    Please let me know what you think :)


    Your edges are really tight. Loosen them up a bit and allow some nice bevel highlights. You will get a much better normal map bake too. 
  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 2


    sitting down now to knock out the wood. Slow progress, i don't really know what i'm doing. just doing dam standard and dynamesh with polish and pushing here and pulling there. Might be a nightmare to clean up but idk how else to really do it lol

    Tobbo said:
    Hey, this is my progress so far on the revolver. I'm not quite sure yet how I will make the golden ornaments on the handle and by the hammer, because the plan for the gun was to stay completly inside 3ds Max for the modeling part.
    Please let me know what you think :)

    Your edges are really tight. Loosen them up a bit and allow some nice bevel highlights. You will get a much better normal map bake too. 
    I second this!Lukitscherie said:
    Well, I got an art test for a job and obviously I want to mainly work on that during the next days so... RIP book  : x

    Maybe I'll have time next month to finish it, or maybe I'll finish it later outside the challenge. Here's where I got, not a lot of changes since the last WIP:
    But still, I'm happy with the topology for the face : 3

    That's a bummer, because you got off to a really cool start. I'd save it and come back to it later!

    Gobliness said:
    Caiterade said:
    Looks good! I'm worried you're committing too hard to one angle of view. The book is looking super long/rectangular. Fantasy spellbooks are usually pretty chunky.
    Thank you for the advice! I set up a camera and fixed all of the proportions to match closer to the reference. Ignore the blocked out moss too that's more for me than anything.
    Are you working in orthographic? Your book looks like it has no perspective on it or something.

    The spine of your book is pencil thin. Curve it, and make it chunkier! Remember it's made of wood. Thin wood like that would splinter.
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    Looking awesome already @Caiterade !
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Been Tweaking the scale of the scene more started to look better 

  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for the encouragement @Klawd =D 
    Much better, @harjm. You're getting the scene's arrangement down.



  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 2


    Sorta like where the wood's going. Not sure how to make a clean split in the geo. Still working just thought i'd keep posting progress!
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon polycounter lvl 9
    @Caiterade Saw your book on FB and wanted to say it's coming out really nice! Sorta soft in some areas but overall really nice.

    @Gobliness Don't loose that super nice convex shape from the where the book opens. It brings a lot of character to the design!

    To everyone working on the book - Definitely start thinking about how you're going to handle the foliage on the front. When I made this prop a while back I completely underestimated how much UV space to give that and ended up having to make an extra texture for it. Experiment until you get a look you're going after.
  • Gobliness
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobliness polycounter lvl 4

    Really appreciate all the feedback and to @Caiterade I work in both perspective and orthographic depending on what is being sculpted but I did take the last couple renders in ortho as opposed to this one in perspective if that clears the confusion up. Really starting to go in on the wood and the spine of the book is built up now, but honestly I might tweak it more because I'm not 100% sold on the look of it. 

    Gannon said:
    @Caiterade Saw your book on FB and wanted to say it's coming out really nice! Sorta soft in some areas but overall really nice.

    @Gobliness Don't loose that super nice convex shape from the where the book opens. It brings a lot of character to the design!

    To everyone working on the book - Definitely start thinking about how you're going to handle the foliage on the front. When I made this prop a while back I completely underestimated how much UV space to give that and ended up having to make an extra texture for it. Experiment until you get a look you're going after.
    Made the pages convex to now match the binding, definitely an oversight on my part and I seriously can't thank you enough because that fix pushed the piece to look that much better. 

    Not going to lie I am so nervous about the moss and really need to think about how I'm going to approach it for sure..  :#
  • jenast_
    Offline / Send Message
    jenast_ vertex
    Helo!
    Jumping in a bit late to the party! Everything in this thread is lookin' awesome!  <3

    I'm doing a blockout of the house right now, tricky perspective on this one! Will continue on the lower right part in a while.
    If something looks completely off please let me know! 


  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 2
    Gobliness said: 

    Not going to lie I am so nervous about the moss and really need to think about how I'm going to approach it for sure..  :#
    fearlessly  B)
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx polycounter lvl 6
    oooi, also joining this! Blocking out the face
  • slam_nine
    Offline / Send Message
    slam_nine triangle
    Some progress on the tea house! The base assets are imported to unreal engine, and textures are getting painted.

    The foliage is all on simple planes, which makes it look really flat. I'll keep working on that.




    @jenast_ The house blockout is looking good! I like the curly tops on the window frames a lot. The roof on the right looks like it gets wider towards the bottom, but if you're still working on that part, it could be an easy fix.
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui polycounter lvl 8
    @slam_nine love the lighting!I might suggest moving the stair verts around a bit so they don't look quite so uniform, and add a little character.

    quick update from me - would love to hear some critiques on this as I'm not terribly happy with some of the interpretations i made to the concept:


  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    Sneak peak!
    Still lot to do, including the floor material, of which I'm tempted to make my own version (I don't like the floor in the concept art very much).

    PS: I noticed the thread title has changed to May & June, does it mean the endline has been postponed to end of June? 

  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    @kadeschui It looks great already. If you want feedback I think the biggest differences are that your barrel is a bit longer than the concept art's, and that the holes in it are a bit too big in diameter. Oh and also the four small button like things on the side, I think they are supposed to be holes instead, with the raised golden trims along the borders.
  • imran.ahmed
    Offline / Send Message
    imran.ahmed polycounter lvl 3
    Hi
     I am Just finished the book sculpting.
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui polycounter lvl 8
    @Klawd Thanks for the pointers - I see what you're saying now that I look at it again. I'll update those areas. I think that'll go a long way to aligning with the concept more tightly. Hopefully get some polish to the silhouette in this evening and be ready to start the detailing for bake tomorrow :)

    I'm digging your scene so far - I think your lighting is spot on and i really like the way you handled the "hologram map" in the center, I think it reads just like the concept suggests

  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    Thanks @kadeschui, means a lot.
    Here's another screen. Added decal for the floor (but still no material), and turned on a monitor. Also finally switched to baked light! :)



  • jariah
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah vertex
    HI Guys,
    i added some Textures, but not final and i expand my Blockout
  • Supposable Lion
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    I like my current tree although it's a bit different from the concept, but my tree leaves are out of control. I need scale them down so they're not blocking everything from view. I'm currently UV mapping things and I forgot about the fabrics in the scene. I've set up a glass material for the windows so that they reflect, but I'm not digging it as it is. Still quite a bit to do.


     @Klawd I thought that scene was finished before I looked back at the concept. It's looking spot on already.

    All the books on here are looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing these textured.
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    Thank you @Supposable Lion. Your house scene is looking great too!
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    Playing around with the monitors. (hey what is that green thing on the far one?!  :# )
    -deleted-
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx polycounter lvl 6
    my update, was at my sisters surprise party yesterday, did not have time to work on this more than refreshing the blockout before Zbrush! =)
  • suspectlogic
    Offline / Send Message
    suspectlogic polycounter lvl 7
    Klawd said:
    Playing around with the monitors. (hey what is that green thing on the far one?!  :# )


    looks great so far! how are you getting hard shadows? 
  • jariah
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah vertex
    Hey Guys ! :)
    how you guys gonna do the Hologram Material ?
    I dont know how i should do this.
    I already tried some Techniques, but nothing worked well. :neutral:
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polygon
    Thanks @suspectlogic! Which hard shadows do you mean? (if it's the dark things on the floor, those are placeholder decals while I work out what to do with the floor)

    @jariah for the hologram ball I made a mask highlighting only certain uvs, and then used that mask as input for the emissive channel. I had to bump the size of the uv lines a few pixels to make it look good, especially since I made my hologram animated. Then to leave only the emissive edges visible I simply inverted the mask and gave it in input to the opacity channel.
  • Gibby1995
    Offline / Send Message
    Gibby1995 polycounter lvl 2
    Hay guys I am having a bit of a problem when baking my normal's



    I exported the mesh's as a FBX with a single smoothing group and triangulated and I am using Maya & Substance painter 
    any help would grateful 
  • jariah
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah vertex
    Gibby1995   maybe try to bake you normals with .obj files. i often got baking problems with unsing  .fbx files.

    Klawd   , I still have problems with my hologram ... 
    thats my result


24
Sign In or Register to comment.