Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - May & June 2017 (48)

Replies

• Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Almost done. As you can see I went for a more strong morning light, to make the scene a bit more impactful. What do you guys think?

I'm also preparing a short cinematic for my personal goal of trying to bring this concept alive (just need some time to understand how the UE4 sequencer works :p). 

@jariah Doesn't seem like you followed an approach similar to mine. How did you make it?
    @Gibby1995 Your problem is not very clear from the picture, but since this thread is specific to the Monthly Challenge, and we should keep all posts in here relevant to progress, or the techniques used, I think you should refer to the Technical Talk subforum for help on the matter.
  • jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    Klawd 

i Built a  unlit, Transluce Material with a Fresnel and a opacity.
    but i dont want, that my logo got the opacity too :/
    maybe you can show me your Material Graph in Unreal ? :) 

• Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Well, you need to build a mask for the opacity channel, where zeros (black) means is not visible and ones (white) means is fully visible and not transparent. I made my material for the holo ball in Substance so it woudln't be of any help if I'd showed you the ue4 material, it's just 4 texture samples plugged in the relative channels.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    So i wasn't quite happy with the perspective and scale, re-did the whole book to get the correct scale and design. 
  • Jarhead24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarhead24 null
    Please allow me to contribute with this monthly environmental art challenge.

This is my own isometric 3D design with arabian theme, it's not good at all maybe because i'm a newbie LOL. Please give me feedback for further skills. What do you think about this?

• suspectlogic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suspectlogic polycounter lvl 13
    @Klawd I was asking how did you get hard shadows because I was trying to get the lighting to work using some rather impractical in-door type lighting. essentially one huge area light above the glass panels :P all the lighting was looking very ambient and i couldn't figure it out until I tried to go for sunlight :D 

• kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    @Jarhead24 Looking good Jarhead! Unfortunately, this thread is designed for a collaborative effort on the concepts presented in my first post. Work of your own would be better suited in a personal thread or over at WAYWO; this way you can receive the appropriate feedback and discuss your work in further depth.

Feel free to jump in a join us with any of the concepts presented in my original post though, and as always pm me or any of the admins if you have questions or need help!

kade
  • kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    @Klawd sorry for the delayed response - a few challenges back we decided as a community to extend each challenge to 2 months (up from the previous 1) to allow more time to complete scenes or work on multiple props. So yeah - you get another month! :)
  • Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    kadeschui said:
    @Klawd sorry for the delayed response - a few challenges back we decided as a community to extend each challenge to 2 months (up from the previous 1) to allow more time to complete scenes or work on multiple props. So yeah - you get another month! :)
    I must have missed the memo! I agree that a bimonthly challenge is better suited for people who have jobs and still wanna work on this in their spare time. This was a rare occasion where I had almost 2 entire free weeks and so I'm almost done with my scene. I'll be patiently waiting for yours. :)

@suspectlogic It's coming along pretty nicely!
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Blockout done, Zbrushhhuuu here i coooommu! 
  • slam_nine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slam_nine polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the tip earlier @kadeschui ! I added some bevel and irregularities to the stairs. Potted plants and other small objects are also mostly all done.

@suspectlogic The lighting is looking really nice with the sharp shadows! How did you make it work practically? Is the ceiling set to not cast shadows or something like that?

• Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome progress @slam_nine, but maybe the trees need more "substance"/bigger leafs?
  • TravisUnderwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TravisUnderwood polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everyone, I'm really enjoying everyone's interpretations of the concept art. I have also chosen to model the mystical book with the satyr head. I have my lo poly modeled out and I am currently uvmapping. I also have a hi poly complete but do not have an image rendered yet. I plan on baking and texturing in substance painter. Hope the best for everyone and good luck. I can not wait to see all these projects finished.

@Caiterade Looking great I like how the hi poly is coming along. Glad you've been posting a lot of updates. Any idea how you are handling the moss/grass on the cover? I haven't put much thought into it yet.

@slam_nine WOW.... I like how you managed the textures. The leaves look great, but Klawd has a good point about maybe bigger or more. The doors could use more character they're kind of lost with the current texture.

Anyways here is my low poly model.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Zbrush *Update on the wood, finally started to sculpt a tiny bit. 
    z
  • suspectlogic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suspectlogic polycounter lvl 13

@slam_nine pretty much :P. there's essentially no roof, just a transparent glass. I'm still tinkering with ways to make it more practical.

this piece looks pretty good so far btw! i feel like it would be a nice touch if the leaves had normal maps, so that they could catch lighting a various angles.

@Klawd thanks. having fun with learning modo :)
  • Yther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yther polycounter lvl 3
    Here's what I got so far! This challenge was the perfect opportunity to get back to 3D after a loooong hiatus. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to leave it at that, since I have a side project that requires all my attention right now.

@Klawd : Very nice! Perhaps the hologram needs a little more punch, it looks kinda lost in the scene right now .  Otherwise, it looks very faithful to the concept art!

@slam-nine: Your textures look a little too dark to me, compared to the concept art, especially the beige one on the wall. I think a lighter texture would provide greater contrast with the doors and leaves. Otherwise, looking good especially the roof texture.
  • hasgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    A bit late to the Party, but here goes!! I got frustated doing the gold ornament in maya, so I'm gonna try it to do it in zbrush.

----

@Yther : Love your lighting setup!! I know you are not going to change it, but nonetheless a suggestion from me: I think you could bevel those so it doesn't look to blocky, especially the main building walls.
  • jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys  !
    i set myself a deadline  to finish this Environment.
    so that is my result of 2 Weeks progress.
    its not perfect but one of my first Environment in generel :)
  • IDCrisis0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IDCrisis0 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey all, 

I've made some progress since my initial block out shot I shared. Here is a progress shot. I've still got to do the cables, floor, back wall and doors to finish up the modeling. 

• Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    Not far from being done. In the concept the stair tops look like they're blue, but the shading like where the logs are, are also blue. So blue colored stair tops or just blue shadows? I haven't decided on the ground or background either. I'm thinking I'll keep the current atmosphere coloring in the game engine.

@slam_nine Your pipes are looking like they're made out of mirrors. I'm liking your rough building walls.

• imran.ahmed
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    interesting stuff going on here. I really like the book concept.

• Gibby1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gibby1995 polycounter lvl 4
    Just About to go through a post process pass I thought I would post again to get some feedback.  
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    suck on doing mouths... So any tips on how to create it? 

• jenast_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jenast_ vertex
    Tiny progress! I haven't had much time for this project unfortunately, but now my school has ended so I will try to make it to the end of June  :) 

-------------
    @Supposable Lion - Nice work! I love the plants!
    I think you should dampen the light from the lanterns a bit and maybe the (skylight?) as well. If it's a candle in those lanterns they wouldn't shine so bright.
    I also assumed it was a dark shadow on the stairs since it's the same around the logs. But now I saw @slam_nine take on it and blue color looks good as well. Just do what you think looks nice.  B)

• slam_nine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slam_nine polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I added some leaf-textured spheres to make the main bulk of the foliage, and made normal maps to the leaves on the single branches. The wall textures are now a bit lighter, but I also deviated a bit from the concept and gave the doors blue frames to pop them out more.

@Gibby1995 The ceiling is a lot darker in your environment than in the concept art. It might look better with a little more light.

Really cool to see how all the environments are progressing!

• FuryAndMadness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FuryAndMadness polycounter lvl 8
    I see that many have almost finished. That's cool. I have to do it faster. It is a pity that many people do not show in detail the intermediate versions of their work.

• Zlivingston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zlivingston polycounter lvl 6

Late to the party, i plane on getting this done by the end of the month. Do you think i should include normal maps, or should i try to paint on the depth since it is a more stylized piece? I'm making he model a little high rez for normal map making purposes, i would just like some feedback on what is more common in the industry.

@slam_nine Very nice work! Your skills surpass mine! That being said, I would make the building a little less warm to add some more color contrast with the trees. The lighting looks a little hard as well. 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    here's update after Zbrush crash! 
  • TravisUnderwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TravisUnderwood polycounter lvl 6
    Here's a bit of the work I've put into the book over the last few weeks. I have a lot more messing around with textures to do. Any Critiques or comments would be appreciated.
    @wirrexx I like the style of your book man. I assume you are using zbrush. I like to use the clay build up brush. I then smooth it till I get a nice shape and use the flatten brush to create the planes of the lips. This mouth was tricky though. The reference doesn't show much definition in the mouth area. Best of luck
  • Gibby1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gibby1995 polycounter lvl 4
    @slam_nine Thanks for the advice. 

Update: Finished 

Some other images over on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QZqK3 

• jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys !
    i did a few adjustments  of my old scene, its a bit different to the Concept, but i hope you stil like it :)
     Always happy about feedback !
  • hasgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    Update on Gun, I choose to create my own engraving in Zbrush. what do you guys think?
    just need to add finishing touches, I think I can push it more..

----

@jariah : definitely great work on the sphere thing. bigger is better :). and I like the atmosphere too (though the colors are not as vibrant as in the conceptart)
    is it just me or the bench are more smaller than in the concept art? maybe you could post it again with similiar perspective ?

• Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mahelix polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, I have decided to take a shot at the sci-fi environment challenge, but since it is my first time building a level, I have some difficulties figuring the dimensions on the concept art. Does anyone have a good advice to size up this kind of stuff ? Thanks ! ;)
  • hasgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    model

Finished!
    next : scifi room...if I manage to do it in time....

• Skargut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skargut null
    Hey guys, first time doing a challenge and I'm having a blast with the teahouse concept. I am nearing completion on the mesh, but I have a question regarding texturing. I was wondering if you guys would recommend texturing each asset separately or texturing the entire scene in one go in Substance Painter (I assume thats not the way to go). If I texture them separately, then would I combine roof and base of the house, all plantpots together, etc? I'm quite uncertain on the grouping and appropriate workflow from this point onwards and would greatly appreciate any help :)

@slam_nine I really love your interpretation of the piece, did you use Marvelous for the cloth or was it handmade?

• IDCrisis0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IDCrisis0 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everybody,
    Quick update on progress. Started UVing and putting down some base materials on everything. Here is a shot of progress in UE4. I hope to get a ton of work done this weekend and start to wrap this thing up.
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    I'm pretty much done with the tea house scene. Just looking for any feedback.
    I turned off shadows for the leaves to help make them appear less planar. And I added post process volume to turn down the default bloom in the engine since it made the lantern lighting overly blown. Overall I've kept it rather low-poly.

@Skargut Looking good so far. I'd texture the assets separately. If you're meaning to have everything to have all the textures be on a single texture file, that would have to be rather large file or you may risk ending up with textures that are too low res. If you're meaning to have assets share the same texture, that would depend on how you UV them. The tea house has some modular parts like the windows, pipes, lanterns, and pots.

@hasgan That looks amazing!

• Skargut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skargut null
    Finished with the environment. I learned a lot from doing this challenge and seeing all of the other amazing pieces really inspired me to keep going. I see a lot of improvement to be made on my work, but I think it's about time for me to go to the next project with the knowledge I acquired, perhaps that book concept.

@Supposable Lion Thanks a lot for the advice. I experimented a bit and came up with a solution that worked for this model. You absolutely nailed the foliage on your piece, hats off to you!

@Mahelix I like to make a top down drawing, roughly placing the objects on a piece of paper. Afterwards I block it out in Max to see if the dimensions work there as well. Good luck!

model

• Sequencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sequencer triangle
    I got inspired to look into doing hardsurface stuff in Zbrush so I decided to jump in for the gun prop. Here's the current state, most of it is still in the sketch phase but I did some retopology here and there just to try and see how it would come out.

I'll probably change a lot of the engraving like on the back of the handle. Also I'm not sure yet what to do about the base part, if I'll try to do most of the metal/gold/whatever stripes in the texturing stage or not. But I'm in general not too sure how to refine everything to a clean final state yet, so still a lot to go.
  • KellyKryspin
  • zhixson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zhixson polycounter lvl 8
    I started on this at the beginning of June and have been lurk sculpting and picking at it since then in order to learn some new software. Here's my current progress on the book using 3D-Coat. I am super new to sculpting and it feels like every detail takes five to ten times as long to complete as it should.

• Leetchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leetchi polycounter lvl 10

A lot of awesome work here!
    I'm a bit late to start this one, but whatever, started modelling the house this morning and baked a quick and dirty AO map to have something to paint onto. Gonna try to finish it today...
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    Heya, I thought I'd jump in, spent about a day on this, it was fairly easy going at first but I'm still "newish"(for real) to zbrush and wanted to try out some  stylised sculpting for low poly so here's where I'm at. 

Just a general suggestion for the houses, and its probably just me, but i think the shapes could be pushed a bit more. Try to break up some of the hard edges on the walls. And maybe exaggerate some of the colors found in the concept for the dirt...although i see that its pretty black in the concept.....meh interpret!

still needs some hPolish and edge trimming but there's probably a whole better way of doing this that i'm not aware of....so if anyone wants to turn my lights on, please..... still tons to do.
    any cc appreciated and welcome. 

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    kiril0t said:
    Heya, I thought I'd jump in, spent about a day on this, it was fairly easy going at first but I'm still "newish"(for real) to zbrush and wanted to try out some  stylised sculpting for low poly so here's where I'm at. 

Just a general suggestion for the houses, and its probably just me, but i think the shapes could be pushed a bit more. Try to break up some of the hard edges on the walls. And maybe exaggerate some of the colors found in the concept for the dirt...although i see that its pretty black in the concept.....meh interpret!

still needs some hPolish and edge trimming but there's probably a whole better way of doing this that i'm not aware of....so if anyone wants to turn my lights on, please..... still tons to do.
    any cc appreciated and welcome. 

looks like you hade to high division when you started sculpting your face. and som edges are very hard and some soft, there are no edge consistens. But you've got a pretty good start otherwise! 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Haven't really had time to work with this due to work =) But intend to finish it before the 27! 

Update on bake and texture. Worked pretty ok, still need to refine the rest of the book! 
  • Sequencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sequencer triangle
    I did some cleanup and reworked some parts of my high poly. I'm gonna call it done for now I think and see how much I can do with texturing.

• annah847
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    annah847 polycounter lvl 2
    hello everyone, I'm late getting into the challenge and I might not finish within the time limits, but I'll give it a shot! I have worked on the hard surface category for about three days now, here is my progress so far.

• annah847
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    annah847 polycounter lvl 2
    Sequencer said:
    I did some cleanup and reworked some parts of my high poly. I'm gonna call it done for now I think and see how much I can do with texturing.

this looks amazing, I really like the amount of accuracy you have with the ornamental designs.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    My update on the challenge!! hopefully i'll finish it and be happy with it. Learned a lot by doing this one! =)