Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi pilot girl - finished!

tda
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
tda polycounter lvl 16
Latest progress, finished! http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2460382/#Comment_2460382

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helloo polycount, long time no post!

So i've been meaning to update my 'folio ever since i made a new one and i figured now was the time. I've wanted to make something in the style that i like for ages, plus this is proving a great opportunity for me to try out a bunch of new techniques and experiment with a zbrush heavy workflow outside of work deadlines :) I also wanted to do the whole deal, new concept, new basemesh, new head, new everything. Nothing recycled, just to show i can do every step, ideal for the 'folio.

I'm finally at a point with it where I'm feeling pretty good with where I'm at but burnout is setting in, hence the thread! Keeping this updated should keep me going. Plus I really need eyes on it, been kinda in a vacuum so far.

Anyway enough words, pictures!! Rip it to shreds guys

Replies

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Some updates from over the weekend. I didn't get a huge amount done and i'm annoyed at myself for that, so i'm aiming to be super productive this week.

details details details :s
  • Catzcratch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catzcratch polycounter lvl 6
    man this is gorgeous already >.>
    looking forward for more progress

• nikkiPito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nikkiPito polycounter lvl 8
    Wow :open_mouth: this is absolutely beautiful!!
    I can't even come up with any immediate critique...
    At first I thought her legs looked a tad too long, but after seeing the armor on her, the exaggerated proportions work so well!
    Awesome job with the model and especially the design! Crazy impressive!! :smiley:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Looking really good there already. You'd better finish this ;)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I love it, looks great!
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    looks awesome love the back of the gloves

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Means a lot. Nikki - Yeah she has legs for days! I always draw my girls with long legs too, anyone would think it was a fetish ;P

I wanted to post to update tonight because i've been hitting it hard but there's not a lot to show really since last time.  The highpoly (for the body) is polished to the point where i'm happy to call it done. Finished up the detail around the neck and gave the gloves a bit more love. I still want to do a bunch of polypainting on the head and add more detail to the helmet but i've started on the 'topo for the body for now, gotta get this wrapped up. I did a quick test bake of the head with the handplane baker too and i've gotta hand it to those guys, that little tool kicks BUTT! I love it.

Here's the bake test in marmo and the status of the body's retopo after 4 gruelling hours. Wish me luck :persevere:

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I dont know if you are covering the ears but in general they are not really the right form especially the way they connect to the head. They are also pinned back too much. I know it is too late to change but it would be something to watch. Nice work.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    Great progress, Really like that I see
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    It's never too late man! :) You're spot on. The ears have been neglected for too long, i'm working on the head today and they are getting some love <3
    edit - update! I hit the polypaint and microdetails hard today and fixed up that ear too. I wanted to get into building the hair alphas but i was having too much fun with the curve brush. At least i ended up building some better hair, much closer to what i'll be reproducing with alphas when i get there

• AhrensArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AhrensArts null
    Wow! Totally like the style you're going for with this! If I may ask, did you create this entirely in zbrush or with some base modeling outside of it, for the knee and hip hard surface stuff etc.?
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Ahrensarts - Thanks man. It's a bit of both really. From the rough block in i experimented with a few techniques to make a smooth result (zremesher, zbrush retopo, max retopo and just LOTS of H polish) and i eventually settled on max retopo because it got me the fastest, cleanest results. I would take the blockout suit, separate off and clean an area to remove any secondary forms then hit GoZ and do a really simple retopology in max. Bring that back to zbrush, divide into millions of polys then sculpt details. Usually I'd end up dynameshing as well because I'd run out of polys where i needed them. Hope that answers your Q :)

I was away all weekend so i haven't had as much time as i'd like to work on this, but i did get some things done these last 2 nights. Still need to put a ton more work into the hair, its not really where i want it to be yet but.. progress.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanna see more hair volume !!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah for sure PyrZern, looks weak now that i look back at it.

Been bogged down with slow PC problems today, nightmarish. But still, this is getting closer to where i want it. I figured out why i didn't like what i had so went back and rebaked all the hair with thinner strands, i prefer this. It still needs some work, my girlfriend keeps hounding me that the style wouldn't work in real life but honestly, anime hair ftw. I definitely want to clean up the hairline and add some scalp connection pieces before i consider it anywhere near done, but i think I'm going to focus on the body for a little while. Time away from the head to let my eyes freshen up will be good i think.

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Update time! Been chugging along steadily over this week. Made a bunch of tweaks to everything and I actually started enjoying myself instead of stressing out haha. Biggest change since last time is I've split the shoulder off to a seperate mesh so she can actually move her arms, i also made an inside portion of the knee so it can bend (kinda) correctly. I didn't plan that area very well  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Anyways.. as I was super close to finishing the topology of the body tonight i threw some quick UV's on the bits i had and did a quick bake test. The decimated zbrush mesh i used as a retopo proxy holds up surprisingly well to a 4k bake and even with dirty uv's and no cage it didn't come out too bad. Needs tweaks, but not a lot to fix come time for the real bakes :smile:

She's sitting at around 47k tris, 57k including the hair and i still have some bits left to retopo. I can and probably will ditch a whole bunch of tris before the end but honestly i'm not too fussed at this count. Considering games like FFXV and U4 this is the way things are going, plus making a super detailed model with a no limit on the tri count was kinda the whole point!

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bake is actually pretty clean there. I'm jealous :smiley:  You still baked pieces by pieces, right ? (exploded ? )

• apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    From concept to execution, this is amazing work! I don't know if you fixed her ear but it still looks as if it's trailing behind a bit. In any case, the character is shaping up quite nicely. Subbed!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @PyrZern - No it was all at once man. The body is all 1 connected mesh, i just threw uv's on it and dumped it into handplane with the decimated retopo proxy mesh. I really wasn't expecting much. There's a few areas in the LP that need a cleanup, but i think i'm just gonna add geo to make the details bake correctly rather than spend ages faffing with a cage. At this point a few extra tris isn't gonna hurt really.

@apllana - Thanks dude. I did put some more work into the ear, attached a screeny. It could probably use some more definition round the back now that i check it out. If you've got any C+C be sure and let me know man

I've been tinkering with the helmet design, wasn't feeling the old shapes anymore and i'm much happier with this. Not 100% sure about the back yet, plus it still needs refinement and then a polish, but all in good time :)

Also as a bonus, the head actually fits into it completely now without having to chop a little off the back ;p

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All in one bake ? Geez. Now I'm even more jealous lol. Great job on this one.  Can't wait for next update.
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    nice work! really nice concept although I kinda dislike the back of the helmet right now. I now it's still WIP but I feel it's too bulky and squary. otherwise, keep it up:)
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
  • apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    I just realized you changed the design of the shin armor. I thought the original design looked much more interesting and intricate than the rather simplistic shapes you went with in the end. Also I'd second Cremuss in that the helmet should taper more towards the parietal bone, as it were.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @apllana - Yeah, i wasn't feeling the shapes of the legs when i made them in 3d. Same with the arms. The blocky bits muddied the silhouette of the anatomy and that wasn't something i wanted to lose. It was more interesting but the look wasn't what i was shooting for with this. I'm gambling on textures saving that area from being too boring, if not i can always go back.

I'm in agreement with the helm comments. I've been playing and i'm pretty happy with this, took inspiration from the top end AGV helmets i will never be able to afford :smiley: This won't fit over a head like a normal lid but i figured the front would be able to clip on and off. It makes more sense than the old one at least. I'm undecided whether i'll make the inside of the joint, but i did make the inside of the helmet so i can use it as a prop. The only thing bugging me now is how uncomfortable those pipes would be coming out of the back, but i feel like that space needs filling up.

Cleaned the meshes up, went ham with the smooth tools rather than retopo-ing this time. There's still some wibbly lines but i'll see how they bake before i spend ages with retopo. Not quite final screenies below

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    We gettin' there. Helmet bakes done, had a little play

The rest of the lowpoly is also done so i'll be starting the bakes for the body after lunch, then its substance time :)

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    That helmet looks great! Can't wait to see it all finished!
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Man this is coming together nicely well done!

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubblez polycounter lvl 3
    Oh my god dude. This is all just incredible. It's coming out beautifully!
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    HI There! Awesome stuff here! Love your concept, great desing and your modeling is getting fantastic. Keep going ! :smile:
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I really enjoy seeing the updates and changes to this, tda. This character makes me want to try pushing my limits at hard surface modeling, in ZBrush. You got some fantastic details showing through, and I can't wait to see how things look moving forward! 
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks so much for the kind words guys, it really keeps me movitated to push on ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ Also please tear it down, i want to hear what i've done wrong or what people would do differently. Speaking of which...

I've jumped off substance for now because i started noodling and immediately got lost. I never did any proper colour exploration for this suit, i had ideas but nothing concrete. So I ended up wasting 2 hours just playing with materials and trying to figure out why my ID mask was making such bad pixellated edges. Anyway, rather than waste time i threw out a screenshot of the blank bake and did some colour mockups. Would love some thoughts on these.

I really wanted to avoid the generic 'scifi dark grey' or white but i'm not going to lie, those are probably my favourites. The only ones i don't really like on this sheet are the green one and the grey+orange one. Pink is cool but not the vibe i'm searching for. In the final poses I want her to appear confident and hot, kinda like bayonetta but in less of an overtly sexualised way, so i'm feeling myself being drawn really heavily to the black and red one right now. The white ones could work too. I dunno :sweat:

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I think the third from the left on the top row has really nice contrasting colors, but might not be as strong when she has her helmet off. A lot of these definitely work for different reasons, though. The first two on the top (left side) give off a P.N.03 feel to me, and I think both the top middle and bottom left red / black ones give off a strong Commander Shepard vibe. I'd maybe steer away from the bottom third from the left, as feels too similar to Samus Aran's palette.

Even with darker suits in sci-fi being a little overdone, I really like the gold trim accent for the last one (bottom right), and it could have a really nice contrast with her hair color (if and when the helmet is off). Gahhhh! A lot of these are so great that you probably won't have any trouble with whichever one you end up going with. I think the darker suits give off the sleek and stealthy type of read (more Bayonetta), and the white ones actually make her look a little more front-lines sturdy, warrior type. 
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Great points @dGreenberg, you're on the money. I realised i'd made Samus and CMDR Shepard when i stepped away from these for a few hours haha. It's funny, i was trying really hard to avoid Tracer or D.Va's palette and my mind went to other characters instead, the subconcious is a funny old thing. I think i'm preferring the black and red but im not 100% yet. That kinda vibe is probably cliché but i'm still suckered in by it. I will be mixing in the gold trim with the red accents as i go, see how they work together. May end up too mishmashy or too deus ex.

Here's a wip shot of the materials anyway, colours subject to change :)

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Still drilling away! I feel like a few bits are getting pretty close :)

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really amazing, especially the materials.
    At many models I feel that the grey textureless version (normals only) looks better then the textured one, but not here.
    Really great work!
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I'm with @Dethling regarding those materials; they look fantastic. The pleather-ish look and synthetic rubber feel at her midsection are reading really well, and have some great material separation. I'm liking your attention to the details on the under arm straps, too. Looking forward to seeing how she continues to improve!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks Dethling, dGreenberg, appreciate the votes of confidence :)

Here's a slightly older shot of the legs and a fresh one underneath, currently working on bringing the helmet, shoulders and neck piece to the same level as the main body before going too crazy with details (hard to stop myself though!).

• odonpachi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odonpachi greentooth
    hey man

the model looks solid!! i really like the details and materials!

however, i definitely think you should spend some more time on the face and hair, since they brings down the overall quality of the model.

• first, the hair is too flat, both shape and color. try using a more "chunky" approach for the hair planes. the specular is too wide.
      also, the hairline looks "funny".  (too far back on the sides)
    • the ear needs more "meat". i know ears can vary a lot, but right now it looks like it's cut off! O.o
    • the area below the lips and above the chin is flat. it causes a slight underbite when viewed from the front. (unless that's what you are going for.)
      i think this can be fixed without having to change the sculpt and re-baking. lower the normal map intensity and adjusting the low poly will work fine i think!!

i made a paint over. hope you don't mind!!!

if just spend some extra time on the head, this will become an excellent character model!! =)
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Loving the progress on this tread ! Good job ! 
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @odonpachi Amaazing crit dude thank you so much for that! It always surprises me how blind you can get to things the more you stare at them. I've put the body tex on hold for now while i push the head in the direction of your sick paintover. Here's a shot after only an hour or so's tinkering, but i feel like it's going in the right direction, gonna keep pushing. Getting the nice chunky look may be difficult with the way i have the hair laid out, at least without major rework, but i'll see what i can pull off in the textures first :awesome:

@vickgaza Thanks man! I'm learning a ton!
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    hey,
    the model looks really great, nice job. I also feel the face and hair are the weakest point. They are definitely not bad but it needs improvements considering the rest is so well executed.
    I'm not a fan of the hair honestly. There's a serious lack of volume and you should thicken the strands. It reads almost like thin copper wires in some areas.
    Concerning the face, the thing that bugs me the most is the chin area. It looks to soft somehow. I don't know, something feels wrong. I think she lacks stronger temples as well. Overall, I don't feel much the presence of the skull underneath the skin, somehow. The eyelashes are almost invisible as well which doesn't help. Don't hesitate to overdo them, especially the top one. To finish, the nostril looks weird as well, like there's only a normal map and no real holes in the mesh.
    Hope it helps, and sorry for the rough writing!
    Keep it up, you have a really strong piece here!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this is looking great, those crits are good, glad youre taking the time to polish the face a bit. :)
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for the replies while i've been away guys, been on a little jaunt over to sunny Belfast. Really enjoyed it, both the holiday and the break in general. Visited the game of thrones sights and got my nerd on, but i'm back now and i've been cracking on. Here's the current status of the head, been working hard to try and level it up. @odonpachi your paintover is a godsend man, i keep coming back to it. I can tell i'm right on the bleeding edge of my skill level here, groping in the dark, but i'm learning loads!

@Cremuss Thanks for the in depth crit dude. Your post made me go back and check and i actually found some weird skinning from the neck influencing the face which was distorting the jaw a lot. I was so caught up with getting the pose done quick that this totally slipped by me so props for making me check my work! Your comment about the skull may still be valid, at this point i've been staring at the head so much i can't tell. It's too much work to go back to the head sculpt and make big changes now but if you think I can fix anything in the lowpoly i'll do my best. I also worked a bunch on the hair to remove that copper wire effect, i see exactly what you meant. I wanted to keep the hair quite fine so i just softened those bits of the alpha, was a bit too high contrast i think. Let me know your thoughts man. Oh and i hit the eyelashes too, good shout.

@Ged cheers man :)

Everything besides the head feels like it's 99% there at this point, i'm pretty satisfied with most things. I do wanna add some little HUD elements to the helmet though and do a few more poses for the screenies, i'll be hitting those tonight along with more face fiddling :)

• Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good! 
    Can we get a front and back view of the whole character? It's hard to form a critique without seeing the model in its entirety. 
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    For sure man, my bad! I didn't even realise i hadn't posted a full body of the lowpoly till you mentioned it

• Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Model and texture work is top notch, but I feel that your color choice isn't doing her any favors. It's like you were going for a triadic color scheme but never added the third colour. I did a paint over with a quadratic color scheme with a bit of added contrast  :)
    What do you think?

• Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    I'm doing hair myself right now and it's hard, that hair looks great. Do you create the hair planes first then unwrap them onto hair strips?
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
  • ThunderClouds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThunderClouds polycounter lvl 9
    Wow for every detail! This is one badass pilot girl. I thought she was a robot though. Love the shiny outfit and armor, especially those high heel lol
  • Mateus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    Gooooooood! Loving it.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @Quasar I wasn't really aiming for a specific colour scheme but if i were to put a name on it i guess it'd be split complimentary? Desaturated blues of the suit and the metal with the red metal and orange decals to balance, though the orange is probably a little lacking. In truth I just followed my gut using my favourite palette haha. I've been staring at it a little too long today to think objectively about whether i prefer your paintover more than what i have, i'll end up having a hard think about it in bed probably, thanks man.

@Leinadien Thanks! There's loads of room for improvement imo. If you wanna follow what i did i relied heavily on Tom Parker's excellent tutorial, explains it much better than i could. But yeah i made the alphas, then i used geo from the zbrush curvebrush hair to start me off and just kept adding strips. It's a mess honestly and could likely be heavily optimised but it works, kinda.
    @ThunderClouds , @amirabd2130 Thanks guys
    @Mateus Cheers dude, saw your thread earlier today, you're killing it :)

Here's some pics so this post isn't just words. I've been making a few poses and the limitations of my quick and dirty rig are becoming readily apparent lol. I also finally got the little helmet HUD thing sorted, been on the backburner for a while. I think i'm gonna take a day's break away from it then hit it hard over the weekend and try to get everything finished in the next few days. Feels like it's ready to be wrapped up, I'm so bad at ending projects!