Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi pilot girl - finished!

Replies

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Absolutly amazing work dude... I'm so jealous ! :P

I'm even more impressed when I compare it to your past work. (I've looked at your website :) )
    This current character really shows a HUGE progress in your 3D and Artistic skills, good job to you mate !

Btw, if you have some time, I would REALLY appreciate your thoughts on my current character project I'm working on right here :
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2459343#Comment_2459343
    I'm really not fishing for comments, I just really think that you could give some precious advices ^^

Have a good night ! :)

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Yeah great progress man, this looks like a ton of work, so props to you!
    My nitpicks at this stage:
    -Tone down the visor glass intensity towards the center, I'd like to see more of her face even with the helmet on.
    -Give more distance between the roughness of each material, overall the armor looks a bit uniformly shinny. I see leather, metal and another leather(? the one on her butt) which is as shinny as metal.
  • Nyawning
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nyawning polycounter lvl 3
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    nice improvements! The face is looking better and the hair as well although I think I still dislike the haircut. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Did you have references for the haircut ? I feel like the left side shouldn't follow the flow of the longer hair hanging on the right. I don't know, I'm not a haircutter. Being a 3D artist put you in so many positions haha. I guess it's not that big of a deal anyway.

The color scheme looks just fine to me like that by the way. Quasar's paint over works fine but yours is good as well Imho.

Only remaining critics for me :
    - I strongly dislike the pinky/purple colour of the HUD (but the HUD graphics are good!). Did you try other colours or gray values just to see if it works better?
    - Her face is burnt by the light and looks too pinky to me, almost like she has irritated skin in some areas. Maybe make her skin just a little bit more tanned and less bright?

Otherwise the rest is top notch and presentation is very cool. Killer piece!

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Love it dude! Great execution from that concept! :)
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks so much for the positivity guys! I'm finally ready to call this done. Been a long haul but i've learned so much that i'm ready to take straight into the next proj... Well, after a well deserved break haha! Here's a couple of the final shots, all straight caps from marmo with no post (except just to add lil reflections under the feet etc). i won't spam up this thread too much as the images are pretty large but there's a ton more on artstation or my website if you wanna peep em! https://www.artstation.com/artist/tomb www.tomb-art.com

For those who are interested, she's 75k tris with her normal head, and 74k with the helmet and all it's attachments. Textures are all 4k, Metalness PBR, one each for the body, helmet and head. Head also has a few additional maps (sss, detail normal etc). I also plugged in the AO+cavity for the marmo materials.
    I had a couple of people request breakdowns of this piece. Honestly I'm not sure how much there would be to learn that isn't out there already, i didn't do anything groundbreaking at all, but if enough people are interested I wouldn't mind doing a little something. Need to gauge the appetite for it really so lemme know if that's something you'd like to see.

@Quasar I thought more on the crits you gave dude and added some extra areas of secondary colour, as well as more orange decals especially on the back area. Cheers again for the paintover!
    @trepan92 Thank you man, i appreciate the kind words! I checked out the thread and you're kicking ass! Not had time to post, i will once i've had a wind down from this.
    @AgelosAp Thanks dude! I took both of your crits for the finals, added the falloff to the visor alpha so it's clearer in the middle and also roughened up the leather as you suggested to push that separation. Thanks for the great input!
    @Cremuss Yeah man i agree on the haircut, it's probably my least favourite part. It's blatantly anime hair but not stylised enough to really sell it. I referenced the bits that are physically possible but i think i made up too much on that right side, looks unnatural (because it is). Lessons learned for next time though, either go all the way anime or keep it physically possible.
    @Nyawning , @gfelton Thanks bros!

Time for a rest! :dizzy:

• Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congratz on finishing, you can be proud of yourself! Really nice piece and great presentation. Top notch!
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    That end result turned out beautifully, @tda! In all seriousness, this project of yours inspired me to start up a new character, and I'm really glad that you pushed this to the level that you did. Well done! 
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    nicee. love the final result :+1:
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Great work! I enjoyed seeing how you progressed though this project. I particularly like your execution of the helmet.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    This turned out great! Pretty solid design and materials. Any plans on putting a Marmoset Viewer file on artstation? I would love to be able to see her in 3D.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This turned out really nice. I think the overall anatomy, face, and hair need work but material reads look great. Would have been nice to get some cloth in there but that's a nitpick. Great job!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. I feel mega proud after managing to crack artstation's picks section, which is something i never imagined happening. I owe a lot of thanks to this community for that. I lurk a lot and i rarely post these days as i always feel like my work isn't up to par, but i've watched my favourite artists nurture their skills here over the years and it's thanks to them being badass that i was motivated to work as hard as i could on this.

@Cremuss Thanks man <3
    @dGreenberg Yasss! Do it man. I'm glad i could inspire you.
    @amirabd2130 Cheers dude :+1:
    @Sebeuroc Thank you, yeah the helmet was really fun. It went through a lot of changes from the initial blockin!
    @Alemja Thank you and yes! I plan to do a marmo viewer, i just need to dedicate some time. I need to optimise the textures and tweak the lights to get the best reproduction in the viewer.
    @slosh Thanks man, this really means a hell of a lot! Your work is a huge inspiration for me. And I will definitely pay more attn to those areas going forward, ty.

I also had a few more requests for breakdowns (especially on the hair?? which is just a bad recreation of tom parker's tutorial) so i'll try to make time to prep some stuff soon!

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    She came out really good, well done!
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Great JOb @tda ! She looks really cool and I really liked your suit design ! Congrats man :)

• Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    The final shots looks great Tda :) Nice work
  • Blade113
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 polycounter lvl 8
    dayum, that's really cool
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @Jakub, @karytsukino, @Tits, @Blade113, thanks so much guys <3
    Made time this weekend to put together a couple of marmo viewer scenes so you can check out all my fails hidden in the screenshots :) Check em out at the link! - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/r0gP6

Sadly I haven't had time really to do any kind of breakdown.. yet. It's still on the back burner.
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay! it's cool to be able to move around the character, she's great! One thing that popped in my mind while turning around and that could be helpful for your next char are the eyes: they lack a bit of ao/shadow, water around the eye and details/water in the lacrimal area. It's subtle but that kind of details help push the likeness further. They really put a lot of details and efforts in the eyes nowadays (cf uncharted4, The Last of Us making of, etc.)

For the shadow a common used technique is to add a transparent plane on top of the eye (so it remains fixed when the eyes moves) and add a transparent texture around the border to make it blend more with the skin.
    hope it helps!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah man I was getting away with not having a shadow around the eye thanks to marmo's awesome rendering, I did try the method you mentioned quite early on but it was a bit too overwhelming with the realtime shadows and AO. The viewer could definitely use it though i agree. I'll bear this in mind for the next one. Also i have an eye wetness strip in there but looks like I accidentally didn't export it! Well spotted, fixing it now ;)
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Excellent work, really enjoy the marmoset view
  • Mateus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    Turned out an awesome model!!  =)
  • DsculptStudio
    Options