Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ninja Girl [Finished] : Trepan's WorkThread

triangle
Offline / Send Message
trepan92 triangle
Hello every one ! Welcome to my 1rst work thread :)
I'm a 22Yo French dude, and I'll be posting my current 3D WIP and finished projects in here, as frequently as I can.

I am very interested if you have any feedback, advices, 3D/2D tips, or if you just tell me what do you think of my work in general !
LET'S GO !

CURRENTLY HERE :
3D MARMOSET VIEWER HERE : https://www.artstation.com/embed/2955964

My current project is to create this character in 3D (Game-ready) :
This is NOT my concept. (Original concept by Aleksey Bayura)

I'm going to try and achieve a "semi-realistic" look to her.

Here is my current WIP :
Currently trying to get the proportions and anatomy (not to detailed since it's going to get covered with cloths)
Absolutly hate here face right now, very rough and ugly. I was working with perspective not activated for while and did not notice... F** me ! ^^

Next steps : Define a little more the body, and completly change the face.

Replies

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    UPDATE :

I did some polish on the body, and started a new head, still not completly happy with it... I'm really having some trouble getting it right ^^'
    Some pieces of her armor blocked out.
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    I would say thats a pretty solid start, but i think there are areas that need some more work and polish. I think the stomach and ribs should be worked on as they arnt true to the concept. I would do a paint over but i have no time atm. 
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Thanks a lot Jaker ! :)
    A paint Over would be very much appreciated indeed, but I completly understand if you don't have the time ^^
    I'll try to look into the stomach/ribs problem when I'll resume my work on her !
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Hello guys ! :)

Here is an update on my Yumiko !
    Still very WIP, I've testing blocking the big shapes to test the readibility of the character, as well as some very rough color tests. Tell me what you think !

Still not happy at all with the face... but it's "better" than before at least ^^'

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Hello guys ! New update today :

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    New update from today's work :

Still a lot of pieces to clean up, and add details. Then I'll have to start doing the hair with planes for realtime... I have no idea how I'll do it :/

• amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looking forward to this
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    looking forward to this
    :D Thank's mate ! It's always nice to see people commenting :)  I was getting a little depressed and all alone posting on this thread ^^'

I've seen your work on the Abandoned Kitchen , amazing so far dude ! :)

• VeryCrunchyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VeryCrunchyTaco polycounter lvl 7
    I like it so far!  :D Pretty solid anatomy sculpt at the start, too.

Do you plan to have renders of her without the helmet on? A lot of the anatomy problems you mentioned previously won't hurt too much, if they're covered up.  Keep up the good work!  :)
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hey Trepan, nice work so far, here is some stuff to go through:
    -Shorten lower leg
    -Shorten foot
    -Add more booty
    -The area above the knee needs to be more round and fleshy
    -Fatten up the arms and add more curvature to the forearm
    -Puff up the hood that's part of the armor
    -Widen the neck
    -Soften up the six pack showing through the armor
    Now you are pretty far along and some of these may be too intrusive, so just keep them in mind if you don't want to backtrack.
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    I like it so far!  :D Pretty solid anatomy sculpt at the start, too.

Do you plan to have renders of her without the helmet on? A lot of the anatomy problems you mentioned previously won't hurt too much, if they're covered up.  Keep up the good work!  :)
    Thanks CrunchyTaco ! :)

I was initialy planning to do the version of her WITHOUT the Helmet on, but I realised I liked it a lot so I decided to add the helmet.
    Here is the design with the helmet :

Right now, I don't think i'll make some renders of her without the helmet, just because it would require me to do 2 versions of her hair (One normal, and a second one with all the hair tied up behind)
    But if I have the motivation and the time, I'll probably do it :)

I'll keep the good work ! That's again !

AgelosAp said:
    Hey Trepan, nice work so far, here is some stuff to go through:
    -Shorten lower leg
    -Shorten foot
    -Add more booty
    -The area above the knee needs to be more round and fleshy
    -Fatten up the arms and add more curvature to the forearm
    -Puff up the hood that's part of the armor
    -Widen the neck
    -Soften up the six pack showing through the armor
    Now you are pretty far along and some of these may be too intrusive, so just keep them in mind if you don't want to backtrack.
    Hey AgelosAp !

I would like to thank you SO MUCH for that help, definitly some good thoughts ! Really really ty for your time, I'll make as many changes as possible !

I agree and disagree one some of your thoughts tough, but you are mainly RIGHT my good sir ! :)
    Here is what I agree and disagree on :

• Blade113
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 polycounter lvl 8
    nice job so far (y)
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    1rst rough test for the hair...
    First time ever at making hair for me, it's quite difficult and not so fun to do :/

Let me know what you think ! I'm sure there's lots to improve ^^

I'm going to retake my sculpt, to apply the modifications I talked about just before :)

• Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    I really like the normals on the hair. do you have a breakdown for that? I actually have never done hair either.
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Asura said:
    I really like the normals on the hair. do you have a breakdown for that? I actually have never done hair either.
    Thanks mate :)
    Here is a screenshot that might help you maybe :
    Baked in Xnormals for NormalMap/Opacity/Diffuse/AO

You can find a full tutorial here : http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2015/04/how-do-i-create-real-time-hair-for-games/
    You are very welcome ! :)

@ AgelosAp
    I'm also posting the changes I just made based on you critices ! :)
    I really think it's better so thanks again mate ! :)

• Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    Thanks for the tut. This character is coming along nicely!!

• Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    It's really nice, I think it's a shame you cover up her face though.
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Asura said:
    Thanks for the tut. This character is coming along nicely!!

Leinadien said:
    It's really nice, I think it's a shame you cover up her face though.
    Thank you so much guys :)
    I don't "fully" agree with you, because I find the original concept of the mask sooo cool :)
    But maybe I'll do a version of her without the mask !

New update today ! :
    - I can finally say that I """"""" finished """"""" the sculpt. Even though I pretty sure that'll have to come back and do some modifications here and there during the retopo and texturing process :)

- Added hair for eyebrows / eyelashes
    - Details on the arm armor piece
    - Retake / modifications almost everywhere (small modif')
    - Added the red ribbon for her hair :)
    - Added some nails

SO, next step : RETOPOLOGY

I'll do the textures with Substance Painter, and final render in Marmoset I think

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Update :
    Retopoly DONE ! :)

Next step : UWs ... ^^'

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Hello :)

Today's Update :
    UW's DONE

I've started playing with texture a bit, I'm really not satisfied by the result of most materials at the moment.
    I really need your help/advices about finding the right color and materials for her armor. So DON'T HESITATE to give your thoughts !

It's still at a VERY WIP stage, (some bake errors to correct on the foot) , and the metal material is just a placeholder at the moment.

Here are some Substance painter Screenshots :

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Ok, I'm going to restart from scratch today, expect the black cloth maybe :/
    By the way, do I need to work with a "Reflectivity / Glossiness" or "Roughness Metalness" to get good results in Marmoset ? Or it doesn't matter ?
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Texture update :

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    your texture colors look very unifrom at the moment, everything is pretty much the same brown. I know shes pretty much all black in the concept, but you need to break up your shapes more. I can see your doing it when looking at it real close, but it should also read well from a distance. make sure different part of her gear are different shades of gray/brown.

at the moment the textures also look very procedural, what I mean is its pretty obvious you just ran everything through the basic substance painter filters. try varying your wear and tear mor. also adding unique detail here and there helps a ton. also vary your size, have small, medium and large wear and tear to create variation and a more organic look.

one thing I like to do in Painter is cycle through my maps, especially the color and the roughness maps by pressing the C key. make sure every material is clearly readable and broken up both in the diffuse and the gloss map separately.

also, shouldn't the facemask be just normal cloth and not leather?
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    @lotet Hey ! Thanks a lot for the feedback Lotet ! :)
    I completly agree with you, I'm going to continue the work on her today while keeping in mind your toughts and tips !

And yup don't worry the mask is going to be normal cloth :)
  • nicko_the_great
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicko_the_great polycounter lvl 9
    trepan92 said:
    Asura said:
    Thanks mate :)
    Here is a screenshot that might help you maybe :
    Baked in Xnormals for NormalMap/Opacity/Diffuse/AO

Hi,

So after I lay out the curve tubes do I export them while still on the plane to be baked in Xnormal? and then come bake and layy them in my UV coordinates after I do my alphas in photoshop? could you give a little more explanation on how you achieved this would be great. everyone I've asked has just been unhelpful and a dbag about it giving unnecessary comments.
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Hey all !
    Texture update !

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    @nicko_the_great
    Hey Nicko :)

When you finished with the curves you export only the hair in one .obj and export the planes in another .obj
    So you bake the HIGH obj hair on the LOW obj planes to get the alpha (with color map) , AO, etc...

So with photoshop you can use the "color map" (I just polypainted the hair as white and the planes as black) to get your alpha
    And then I just painted in photoshop to create the diffuse

Hope this will help you :)

• dand3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dand3d polycounter lvl 11
    First off... CURSE YOU!!! I was going to model that concept. But good on you for picking a great concept.

Secondly... I have some critiques for you. As of right now your color on her clothing is off from the concept. I don't know if that was on purpose but, if you are using a professional concept art, nail the concept art. In the concept art the clothing is more purple red while your textures are grey brown. Likewise I thought the clothing would be cloth and not leather, this is your choice as there is always some interpretation in turning concept 2d into a 3d model, but as a ninja leather (I think) would be to movement constrictive and loud.

Lastly she kind of looks like she has crazy eyes at the moment, this is because the whites of her eyes are not being shadowed by her upper eyelids. There are a few ways you can fix this. If the eyes are not going to move for your final pose, paint in the shadows on the diffuse.  Or you can add a transparent shell of just a shadow that lays over the eyes simulating the shadow. Or lastly you could either turn on AO in the rendering options of what ever engine you are capturing from, or add a AO map to the eye material.

But other than that she is looking good.

And once again... CURSE YOU!!!!
  • Trepan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trepan null
    @dand3d

Hey ^^'... Thanks for cursing me I guess.. twice ! :/

To give you an answer :

- About the color :I agree ! It's not the same colors, but it's a personal choice to change the color a little bit, I tried with exactly the same color of the concept and didn't like it :/
    - About the cloth/leather : I know that leather isn't the "perfect" material for ninja to use, you are completly right. But I really wanted to have at least 2 big different materials, (not only cloth with some metal here and there) and I also wanted to WORK with leather since I really need to get better at creating materials !
    And finally, in my mind I "felt" like it was leather in the original concept, I don't think that the way I used leather on the concept would really bother her movements a lot. Maybe a little, but she still has a lot of light cloth ! So again, personal choice.

Overall, I really wanted to stay close to the concept, but as I kept on working on her more and more things didn't work in 3D as good as they worked in 2D :/
    So I felt that I was "allowed" to make some personal choices, I hope it's still quite close to the original concept ^^

- About the eyes : YES, you are right :) The screens I just posted are just some really quick screenshots inside Substance, so the AO quite sucks in the eyes atm.
    I'm planning to test if the eyes looks good in marmoset with only the AO parameters, but if it doesn't work I'll very probably paint some shadows in the eyes :)

Thanks for your feedback !
    I hope you still think it's a good / quality work, because right now I kinda feel like you are very disapointed in my 3D interpretation of the character :/
    If you really wanted to create this character you can still do it, I don't mind you know ^^'
  • nicko_the_great
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicko_the_great polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks this helped out a lot
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Very rough state of skinning , first test for the posing in marmoset :

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Hello guys ! I almost finished this project !

Here are the latest Marmoset lighting, I've made a LOT a little changes and bug fixes... ^^'

I really really hope you'll like it !
    Thanks to everyone who helped me during the progress :)

I'll post some breakdown and the marmoset viewer soon

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    comming along great! I like that you introduced more cloth and got rid of some of the leather. Im not a big fan of the super dark presentation though, especially not that ground texture.

maybe you could ad a rim light if you want a better read?
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    @lotet

Thanks lotet :)
    Yeah, I should probably change the ground texture, you are right :/

About the rim light, I was trying to find a lighting that looks "good" on every angle for the 3D viewer you know :(
    But for the beauty shot, you are right I should've done a different lighting, I'll maybe change it later, I'm so tired now ^^

Here is some new stuff to check out :

Beauty shot :

EVERYTHING and MORE here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/N2lDD
    3D MARMOSET VIEWER HERE :
    https://www.artstation.com/embed/2955964

Here are some breakdowns, but again : You can see everything on my artstation.

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I think the beauty shot turned out great in the end. that fog and bloom/gradient you have in the background really picks up the shape and the silhouette much like a rim light would anyway.

Congrats on finishing!
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    @lotet

Thanks a lot lotet !
    And also thank you for commenting ^^, I'm feeling very lonely in this post, no one seems to comment anything :(
  • dand3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dand3d polycounter lvl 11
    Trepan way to go the model looks great! I really like the presentation/break down you presented.
    I look forward to your next model.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    trepan92 said:
    @lotet

Thanks a lot lotet !
    And also thank you for commenting ^^, I'm feeling very lonely in this post, no one seems to comment anything :(
    haha no prpblem,  made me think of this image.
    Im working on a ninja character myself atm, so I felt your work was quite relevant to what Im doing too =P

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    @dand3d
    Thank you so much dude !! Means a lot to me :)
    When I'll start my next project don't worry I'll create another workthread ! ;)

@lotet
    Have you arldeady started a workthread about your new Ninja Character ? :) Link !

About the image, it's super funny ! ^^ It's the 1rst time I see it :P
    But... It means that everybody feel like my work is either weird or very wrong ^^'
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character

@lotet
    but... It means that everybody feel like my work is either weird or very wrong ^^'
    yeah, its pretty funny =P but Its not like yuor not getting ANY responses. I think your somewhere around the "pretty good", so dont worry about it too much =P

link to my Ninja thread if your interested: http://polycount.com/discussion/172679/stylized-ninja-character
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    lotet said:
    yeah, its pretty funny =P but Its not like yuor not getting ANY responses. I think your somewhere around the "pretty good", so dont worry about it too much =Plink to my Ninja thread if your interested: http://polycount.com/discussion/172679/stylized-ninja-character
    Haha ok :P
    I'm alright with "pretty good" ! ^^

I've seen your work mate, it's very cool I like it a lot ! Also very nice render and presentation of your work ! Keep it up ;)