Home Technical Talk

GPUs. Nvidia's Pascal: GTX 1070 and 1080 and what this mean's for the future.

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

With Nvidia's latest announcement, their new 1070 alone can outperform a Titan X while only costing $379. Pictures say much more than word's so I'll throw these around.

The bar is WAY lower for baseline VR, and what used to be higher end CG work. We haven't had a jump in graphics capability in YEARS with this kind of power, performance and efficiency.

Below is their performance chart released for the 1080 ($600)

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I'm very excited to see how these perform when they release.

The announcement of 8gb of faster (GDDR5x) VRAM is amazing. I think the 970/980 were a bit held back by their amount of VRAM, especially in Substance Painter/Mari. 

Definitely interested in these; however, I am also curious how much longer we will have to wait for HBM 2.0 cards.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm curious how much better these do with VXGI and ASYNC compute.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    And again the 1070 is killing it for the price. Yes the RAm desaster of the 970 was annoying, the card still was a beast.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i will wait for the 16GB HMB2 RAM cards... 
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Wow I'm a bit gobsmacked by the specs and price. Damn.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Really can't wait for this the 1070 will be a beast for the budget.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm definitely ready to upgrade my GTX 760. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    will probably upgrade from my current 770/4GB. i had a 980ti on the radar for a while but will just go with the new stuff then and skip the 9-series entirely. that is as soon as we have actual test results. i wonder if it's possible to get a card without coil-whine for a change? :)
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Very exciting, sounds like my 560ti will finally be put to rest.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Oof, I'm glad I waited. That 1080 is lookin fine. 
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    i thought we were a few years away from 4k 60fps on single card, now it seems its just around the corner with a 1080ti or some sort waiting quietly.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    motherfuck i just got two 970s.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    thomasp said:
    will probably upgrade from my current 770/4GB. i had a 980ti on the radar for a while but will just go with the new stuff then and skip the 9-series entirely. that is as soon as we have actual test results. i wonder if it's possible to get a card without coil-whine for a change? :)
    I am in the exact same boat with my 770 4gb, really thought about getting a second for SLI to hold me over (getting it used on the cheap), but hot damn.... the benchmarks coming out for these cards are stupid impressive compared to the last couple gen release benchmarks.  It.  Is.  Time.  
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Been sitting on my 570 for a while now.. these news are a breath of fresh air :D
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    What benchmarks?
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    What benchmarks?
    Just one of the few that have leaked.  Nothing 100% confirmed, but the leaks all seem to be pretty consistent in terms of performance compared to the current market of cards. I am just excited at the prospective performance to price point, and it being the really big jump that was anticipated for this die size.  *EDIT:This link is by no means any actual proof of performance, and should be taken with a grain of salt.  Merely speculation at this point from an unconfirmed source. 

http://videocardz.com/59725/nvidia-gtx-1080-polaris-10-11-directx12-benchmarks
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Not a huge amount of reason to trust any speculation at this point when the cards are releasing in a few weeks. We'll have proper benchmarks soon, plus AMD will be announcing their new cards shortly.
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    They're looking great, but I am not sure, if it is a good idea to buy the first version. I'd wait for something like MSI etc.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Jakub said:
    They're looking great, but I am not sure, if it is a good idea to buy the first version. I'd wait for something like MSI etc.
    This.  It has been pretty common in the past for the first batch of cards to encounter heat issues, stability issues, etc.  I personally waited just a couple months after release of the 700 series to get my MSI 770 4gb, best decision, as it has been one of the most stable cards I have ever owned.  

And of course, the benchmarks are so far off from being reliable, but just seeing the consistent flood of information of the ballpark frame rates we should expect is exciting.  Id showed off Doom, supposedly at maxed out settings (guessing on a 1080p projector), at 120-200FPS.  Those are some solid numbers, yet again "how reliable?", but the ballpark is exciting.  
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Add3r said:
    Jakub said:
    This.  It has been pretty common in the past for the first batch of cards to encounter heat issues, stability issues, etc.  I personally waited just a couple months after release of the 700 series to get my MSI 770 4gb, best decision, as it has been one of the most stable cards I have ever owned.  

This tends to be driver issues and not hardware issues, the Nvidia reference cards (blowers) have been solid for quite a few generations.

This time around they seem to be calling the reference card "Founder's Edition" and charging $699. It now has some vapour chamber cooling, and certain power chips are above what is needed I assume for overclocking. The versions starting at $599 will be the brand specific versions, ACX, STRIX, Windforce etc... and won't necessarily have the better power delivery chips, but it isn't certain when these cards will release, so Nvidia is basically gouging $100 out of people who can't wait for the brand specific cards. Keep in mind that each brand will also sell founders edition cards, they are all the same thing just different warranties.

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Def ditching my 770gtx for one of those once EVGA puts something out
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    But...do studios actually use GPU as a main part of their pipeline? Some news articles say no.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Having a fast GPU is important for lots of tasks, especially GPU accelerated ones and working within game engines, since performance is lower in editor. 
    But also, if you are just modeling/texturing and want to put together a solid portfolio, a low end gaming GPU like the 750ti is fine. 

I know Substance painter in particular can be demanding when working with 4k textures. Unreal Engine 4 can be very demanding depending on the scene, especially if you like trying new and experimental features. A lot of applications are slower when working with a 4k resolution. There's some bakers that are GPU accelerated, and things like iRay. 

Also if you want to make 60 fps videos at 1440p of projects that you are working on, like I am, a GTX 760 isn't cutting it. 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    ambelamba said:
    But...do studios actually use GPU as a main part of their pipeline? Some news articles say no.
    What does that even mean?
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    ambelamba said:
    What does that even mean?
    I heard that most studios still rely on CPUs than GPUs to finish the render.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    Having a fast GPU is important for lots of tasks, especially GPU accelerated ones and working within game engines, since performance is lower in editor. 
    But also, if you are just modeling/texturing and want to put together a solid portfolio, a low end gaming GPU like the 750ti is fine. 

I know Substance painter in particular can be demanding when working with 4k textures. Unreal Engine 4 can be very demanding depending on the scene, especially if you like trying new and experimental features. A lot of applications are slower when working with a 4k resolution. There's some bakers that are GPU accelerated, and things like iRay. 

Also if you want to make 60 fps videos at 1440p of projects that you are working on, like I am, a GTX 760 isn't cutting it. 
     I am just starting out and still don't know much about texturing. What's the 'noticeable' difference between 2K and 4K textures?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Honestly, the only time you will notice if a textures is 2k or 4k is when you are either using a 4k monitor and kinda zoomed in, or are really zoomed in to a specific part of a model at 1080p. 4k textures really only make sense for a characters with up close cinematic or terrain. And a lot of times using 1k or 2k with tiling detail textures makes more sense. 

But maybe in 4 years with the 3rd gen of VR hardware there will be an actual need for 4k textures. 

4k-16k textures are used all the time for movies though. 
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My goal is to (eventually) be able to make presentable marquettes and vignettes using 3D modeling. So I am not sure how much I can get away with lower resolutions. For more interactive (turnable, I mean) marquettes I might need to learn Unreal eventually. If my future client is happy with quick presentation I can get away with low rez textures. But...if the client is an anal retentive one, then...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba said:
    I heard that most studios still rely on CPUs than GPUs to finish the render.
    GPU rendering solutions are actually rather good these days. CPU performance has stagnated for the last few years, as a result many people have turned to GPU renderers due to the speed/cost advantages they provide.
    People around here are more excited for the latest GPUs though because it'll allow them to do more in game engines (like UE4) and 3D asset creation software (Max, Maya, Modo, Blender, Substance Painter, etc.)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Most studios do final renders with the CPU because CPUs let you render more complex scenes since you can have more memory to put the scene in. Plus, their render farms are CPU-based and the benefits of migrating from that to a GPU farm don't outweigh the costs. When you get to really, really complex scenes, renders tend to be more bound by disk I/O speeds and network transfer than CPU or GPU power. But GPUs are really important for certain programs that are used in various other parts of the process, and they can be used to render too if your scene isn't too complex. Almost every program that's not Zbrush can benefit from the presence of a fast GPU.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    @ambelamba
    what you probably think of is final frame rendering for film and movies, special fx... that is probably still a good deal using CPU, but we are not talking a single PC here, but entire rendering farms. Reason is that the frames for pixar and whatnot are very complex and need tons and tons of memory. However, even for film there is a trend to use more GPU in the pipeline, especially to support the individual artist getting an image that is closer to the final shot and allow quicker edits and previews.
    http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2016/video/S6454.html (Pixar presentation at GTC 2016 on their animation tool)
    http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2016/video/S6844.html (Pixar presentation of their preview lighting/material editor)
    As for final frame rendering NVIDIA presented a fast interconnect called NVlink for their server-cards (Tesla) which allows much faster connection between chips and therefore also allows to increases total fast memory for the future.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Most studios do final renders with the CPU because CPUs let you render more complex scenes since you can have more memory to put the scene in. 
    true... but thats changeing... 
    Blizzard switched to redshift and there are several other doing fx with GPU based farms...
    https://www.redshift3d.com/blog/blizzards-overwatch-animated-shorts-rendered-with-redshift

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    oglu said:
    Most studios do final renders with the CPU because CPUs let you render more complex scenes since you can have more memory to put the scene in. 
    true... but thats changeing... 
    Blizzard switched to redshift and there are several other doing fx with GPU based farms...
    https://www.redshift3d.com/blog/blizzards-overwatch-animated-shorts-rendered-with-redshift

I think the main issu with GPU Farm is that you can't have differente type of GPU, I mean you can't use a 970 and a 980 for distributed rendering, but I might be wrong
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10

can't wait :D
    That image is amazing :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    ZacD said:
    Honestly, the only time you will notice if a textures is 2k or 4k is when you are either using a 4k monitor and kinda zoomed in, or are really zoomed in to a specific part of a model at 1080p. 4k textures really only make sense for a characters with up close cinematic or terrain. And a lot of times using 1k or 2k with tiling detail textures makes more sense. 

But maybe in 4 years with the 3rd gen of VR hardware there will be an actual need for 4k textures. 

uuh what ? No this is not true but also not logical. How can you generalize the texture usage without knowing the size of the texture sheet relative to the world or viewing distance? You can put a 4k texture on a space ship that is as large as a galaxy or on a coin. And depending on how its used, they demand other sizes. The space ship might be fine with a 512x512 and the coin could need a multi 4k.

Also in real world examples, it is very noticeable if you use a 2k texture on a two handed first person weapon instead of a 4k one.

@ThreadTopic, just switched to an octa core i7 5960 Extreme Edition @4.3 gz overclocked, costs 1000 retail, and is double as fast as my old one for 3D rendering, and still the CPU is so much slower than the GPU in rendering tasks, its unreal. Im now switching to Octane, which is a GPU based pathtracer, and rendering the same sprite animation took 17 minutes on the i7 5960X and like 50 seconds on the 980 Ti, the difference is unreal. With 2x the new released 22 core CPU from intel for servers I could get this down to like 8 minutes, and a single 660 dollar 980 Ti would still be 10 times as fast.

So im getting myself some nice double 1080s I think for that sweet offline rendering power. Real time viewport, hell yeah.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Shrike said:
    ZacD said:

uuh what ? No this is not true but also not logical. How can you generalize the texture usage without knowing the size of the texture sheet relative to the world or texel rate ? You can put a 4k texture on a space ship that is as large as a galaxy or on a coin. And depending on how its used, they demand other sizes. The space ship might be fine with a 512x512 and the coin could need a multi 4k.

Also in real world examples, it is very noticeable if you use a 2k texture on a two handed first person weapon instead of a 4k one.

@ThreadTopic, just switched to an octa core i7 5960 Extreme Edition @4.3 gz overclocked, costs 1000 retail, and is double as fast as my old one for 3D rendering, and still the CPU is so much slower than the GPU in rendering tasks. Im now switching to Octane, which is a GPU based pathtracer, and rendering the same sprite animation took 17 minutes on the i7 5960X and like 50 seconds on the 980 Ti.

Dude unless the coin is a level, it would in no way need a multi 4k, and even in that case, you would treat it like terrain or use detail textures like @ZacD mentioned. Assuming each side is a 4k map you don't begin to see fidelity break down until the coin is wider than a 4k screen.

Sure we as game artists might notice these things because we go hunting for that shit when we play games, but at this point where the majority of people still game on 1080p a jump from 2K to 4K isn't that noticeable.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He was exaggerating to make a point; Due to the fact that textures are generally wrapped around objects (as opposed to being billboards pointing directly at the screen), and presented at variable distances, it's foolish to say that using textures of a higher resolution then the screen output have no benefit.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    PolyHertz said:
    He was exaggerating to make a point; Due to the fact that textures are generally wrapped around objects (as opposed to being billboards pointing directly at the screen), and presented at variable distances, it's foolish to say that using textures of a higher resolution then the screen output have no benefit.

I never said they don't have a benefit, but my point with the resolution that most people are using right now, and texel density having been tuned to that resolution, be it by actual unique textures, tiling or detail textures the jump from doubling texture size isn't that apparent. It is even less apparent due to the fact that games tend to be in motion a lot of the time.

When 60%+ of gamers are on 4k screens (and the right distance from said screens to even notice the difference between 1080p) then you can call such a statement foolish.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I should have also added first person items along with characters and terrain. Something taking up 30%+ of a player's screen obviously needs more pixels. Although a lot of weapons can be pretty heavily mirrored since you'll be looking at one side 99% of the time.

And there's unique situations like space games that can take advantage of there not being a lot besides a skybox and ships. But if I remember correctly Star Citizen uses mostly trim and detail textures and not one big sheet.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But if it's meant for a vignette or a marquette for design presentation or film pitch...
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I'm going to wait for Titan 3; I'm a Titan guy :smile:
    Probably with 16 gigs of vRam, although I don't know if you truthfully will need anything more then 16.

Anyone watch the nVidia presentation, the girl screaming; I can afford that ?
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    This is one of the very few times I would actually tell somebody to wait on an upgrade. Wow.  I am interested in the 1080.
    I'm excited about this. I'm curious what it means for Max viewport.  Zbrush. And v-ray rendering.  Cuda cores?  And of course VR.  But dev performance is what I care about most if I'm going to upgrade.  I know VRay is mostly CPU, but i'm curious if going from a top end 7 series card to a 1080 would help with just about everything.

• putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    rv_el said:
    I'm curious what it means for Max viewport.  Zbrush. And v-ray rendering. 
    For Zbrush probably nothing cause it's 100% CPU based for now :(
    But I drool at the thought of Substance performance on a 12GB Pascal

Anyone watch the nVidia presentation, the girl screaming; I can afford that ?
    Yeah, tons of people have been really hating on her and wishing she died, but I loved her comments. I really enjoyed myself listening to the various screams from the crowd  :)
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, tons of people have been really hating on her and wishing she died, but I loved her comments. I really enjoyed myself listening to the various screams from the crowd 

Honestly, people hating on this anonymous women ! 

I found her funny, I was anticipating more of her screaming comments in the presentation.  If she didn't get a 1080 at the presentation, she should have on the spot. For all we know she could have been, I dunno, Natalie Portman. 

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    m4dcow said:

Dude unless the coin is a level, it would in no way need a multi 4k, and even in that case, you would treat it like terrain or use detail textures like @ZacD mentioned. Assuming each side is a 4k map you don't begin to see fidelity break down until the coin is wider than a 4k screen.

Sure we as game artists might notice these things because we go hunting for that shit when we play games, but at this point where the majority of people still game on 1080p a jump from 2K to 4K isn't that noticeable.

I never implied game usage. You can use textures for still images, product renderings, archviz, movies etc.
    It was exagerrated but it clearly depends on what you are planning to do.

Also my examples were not the point. Generalizing things like "Nobody needs 4k textures" and "We may need 4k textures in 4 years with VR" is nonsense, as they are being used for years, while you clearly can see the difference between a 4k and a 4x lower density 2k texture. Also the logic behind is flawed, as you can never know what you are allowed to use unless you take the whole scene into account.
    I could be taking one 128k texture for a full game, or 100000 256 textures, how can one draw a line there somewhere, it makes no sense.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Shrike said:
    m4dcow said:

I never implied game usage. You can use textures for still images, product renderings, archviz, movies etc.
    It was exagerrated but it clearly depends on what you are planning to do.

Also my examples were not the point. Generalizing things like "Nobody needs 4k textures" and "We may need 4k textures in 4 years with VR" is nonsense, as they are being used for years, while you clearly can see the difference between a 4k and a 4x lower density 2k texture. Also the logic behind is flawed, as you can never know what you are allowed to use unless you take the whole scene into account.
    I could be taking one 128k texture for a full game, or 100000 256 textures, how can one draw a line there somewhere, it makes no sense.
    This is a thread about a new GPU which pretty much implies game usage. My point is again that that at the resolution people typically game these days increasing texture resolution isn't that noticeable. I don't mean no 4k textures, but increasing all 2k textures to 4k and all 4k textures to 8k etc...

I see tons of people whinging about texture resolution when they don't realize actual usage / don't layout UVs well / don't even have sharp textures in the first place. They need to sort that stuff out before before wanting to bump up to another resolution level.

As far as games go the line is the resolution of the screen and how large objects will typically be on screen. For movies it is different especially these days with new display technologies like HDR and 8k resolutions so these things are authored for the future. Games are forced to make due with the technology that is generally available, so if there isn't that much of a difference with increased texture resolution they will put the resources to better use. It's like having a DSLR with a 100 megapixel sensor but you have some shitty lens that isn't able to resolve all that detail, until you get a better lens you might as well shoot 25 megapixels.

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    How can we judge any texture usage if there are no norms ?
    How can anyone say 2k is fine and 4k is not without knowing how its used ?
    After this logic, using 4 x 2k textures on a character is fine, but one 4k is too much, because the name has a 4 in it ?
    You can pack only one piece of an object or millions of objects into one texture. Rage used one single 32x32k. You just cannot judge this.

Its like saying "Dont ever spend more than 1500$ on any object in your life", Its just nonsense.
    Im repeating myself here, but this can not be generalized at all and makes no logical sense trying to.

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Shrike said:
    How can we judge any texture usage if there are no norms ?
    How can anyone say 2k is fine and 4k is not without knowing how its used ?
    After this logic, using 4 x 2k textures on a character is fine, but one 4k is too much, because the name has a 4 in it ?
    You can pack only one piece of an object or millions of objects into one texture. Rage used one single 32x32k. You just cannot judge this.

Its like saying "Dont ever spend more than 1500$ on any object in your life", Its just nonsense.
    Im repeating myself here, but this can not be generalized at all and makes no logical sense trying to.

If in typical usage it does not fall below the actual display resolution. So if a 3rd person character's torso takes up 500 pixels of space vertically you have that amount of resolution in that UV shell, same for other objects. A FPS gun is a smaller object, but it usually takes up a large part of the screen relative to other objects in the world. Same way distant objects or high objects don't require the same texel density as close ones. Like if you have some background element, like a background card of a mountain that never exceeds 50% of the width of the screen at 1080p that means it never actually needs to be larger than 960 pixels so you would use a 1k texture, if most people were on 4k screens that would mean that element never exceeds 1920 pixels so you would use a 2k texture. 

Rage never has a 32k texture loaded into memory, it streams smaller chunks of that texture in as you move through the world, you may argue that the engine treats it as 1 big texture, but most engines these days do texture atlassing and see our many textures as one big texture too.

When people ask how many polygons should X be, the answers tend to be "Enough". Paying $1500 for an object that is worth $750 is nonsense, just like modeling something that is 100,000 polygons that only needs to be 10,000 is nonsense and finally like using a 4k texture on an object that only needs a 1k is NONSENSE.