Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly Substance Challenge

Replies

• Rakart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ! First week for me

1443199121-baremetal-screen.jpg

I always feared this software might be a bit complex to apprehend but it was actually pretty fun and friendly :D.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Was home due to being sick, so I decided to give this challenge a go. Not perfect, but I'm not going to put any more time into it. Was fun to burn a couple of hours though!

RVNGD4e.jpg
  • Row'
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Row' polycounter lvl 4
    Hello there! I'm kind of a newbie with Substance Designer but doing this challenge helped me a lot, especially for procedural texture creation.

UqEEOyC.jpg

Here's the .sbs file. It's a true mess, but I thought it could be interesting to share it :)
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    New week is up on the front page.
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    Tejay wrote: »
    New week is up on the front page.

Loving this one! I hope to have time for doing both of them. I will start with the beginner one this time :)
  • Rakart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woke up and wanted to try the intermediate one

I'll try to add more variations on the metal layer later.
    1443296040-subs2.jpg

Also tried to expose parameters (if you have like 5 minutes to waste, my computer had a hard time recording it) : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/39/1443296040-subs2.jpg

I'm so pumped for this week :D
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d polycounter lvl 8
    Wrapped this one up this weekend. Now to finish and write about all the others! :)

You can see more images and a little more info on the making of this one on my site:

http://bradfolio.com/art/substance/substance-diamond-plate-metal/

bradford-smith-substance-diamond-plate-01.jpg

bradford-smith-substance-diamond-plate-01-d.jpg
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Woo nice metal, need to put my hands into it!

Robeomega wrote: »
    Looking really cool! I would personally like it better if the texture especially the normal map had less noise.

Nice catch Robeomega, I have update it and it's more readable now.

Better late than never, here is my try to the Sand :

vincent-derozier-sand-vincent-derozier.jpg?1443452605
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I have a question about sharpening my texture. I personally prefer the sharpened versions but I feel I need other opinions about sharpening textures. I may need to tone down the sharpening on the roughness slightly.

8ukDap4.jpg
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Robeomega, Personally, I loathe sharpening myself, and rarely use it. You may be better off just exporting at twice the intended resolution, and then re-sampling to half resolution (although depending on the filter method you use, you can end up sharpening in that process). Otherwise for roughness, you can just increase the contrast by remapping your input range. For color maps, I have other methods that use cavity and curvature maps to make high frequency details pop more.. you can just overlay them a bit.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    bradhb3d wrote: »
    @Robeomega, Personally, I loathe sharpening myself, and rarely use it. You may be better off just exporting at twice the intended resolution, and then re-sampling to half resolution (although depending on the filter method you use, you can end up sharpening in that process). Otherwise for roughness, you can just increase the contrast by remapping your input range. For color maps, I have other methods that use cavity and curvature maps to make high frequency details pop more.. you can just overlay them a bit.

Thanks for your response! How would I go about changing the resolution of a Substance Designer file after it has already been made. (not while in the set-up of a new file)

I guess up to a point sharpening can be a bit of personal preference. I think I like it because of how details that are quite blurred without sharpening can look quite good and clear when sharpened.

RPtnXJK.jpg

For example especially on the right side you can clearly see where the dirt is while on the non-blurred version distinction between dirt and not dirt is much less.
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    This is one of the most inspiring threads purely because so many artists are making their own version of that same thing, and it confirms whether or not I'm doing it right!
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I do think sharpening is more so a personal preference sometimes I use it to really gets those fine hair line marks to pop more just like you showed up above.

Though I agree with Brad that it should be the exception in most cases. Just make sure if you do it to one pass you do it with the other passes in this case albedo, roughness, and metallic.

At the end I would say whatever gets the result you want go for it.
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    Thanks for your response! How would I go about changing the resolution of a Substance Designer file after it has already been made. (not while in the set-up of a new file)

You can change the resolution of the Substance Designer file at any point. There are a few times when I export a 4k texture from Designer, then I batch re-size to 2k with photoshop.

Sharpening is definitely a personal thing. And actually, the one form of sharpening that is super useful, is a low opacity, high radius Unsharp Mask type of sharpen. Even something like a highpass filter overlay in Substance can be useful.
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    First pass on the beginner substance of this week:

jUAlxtP.jpg

aT4nYfM.jpg

The big rocks were made using the super useful tutorial frm rogelio as a guide ( link ) :)
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    Aaaand second pass!

sergi-lluch-render-mt.jpg?1443523795
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Caser wrote: »
    Aaaand second pass!

sergi-lluch-render-mt.jpg?1443523795

I don't know if it's just the light that changed in your second iteration, but the smallest pebbles are way to even now. Both placement and size.

When I do textures, outside of SD, I try to group stones together a little bit. So that you have a big stone with three medium scattered around it and say eight small ones scattered around the bigger ones. It makes it feel a bit more organic and natural. I also always flatten my smaller stones normals with a cloud. Even values are never good for organic stuff.

Looks real good though, loved your first iteration!
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    @sltrOlsson I was thinking pretty much the same thing recently.. I just don't know if there's any way to get stones to respect composition.
    Maybe the other guys can give a hint on that.. but there's really no other way than placing them randomly in SD, right?
    (apart from placing them by hand which defeats the purpose of procedural textures)
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    @cay: try the tile sampler ;-)
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    @cgvinny I see... nice one! thanks! (mask map)
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Trying this one out in 3D space, but I think it's going to take some more practice to get this right. I'd like to add more small rocks but I'm at the limits of what my rig can handle.

[sketchfab]8cbbb6592f3e4156a7745807db3b0750[/sketchfab]
    GroundMaterial by Steve Peters on Sketchfab

Graph.png
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just the light that changed in your second iteration, but the smallest pebbles are way to even now. Both placement and size.

When I do textures, outside of SD, I try to group stones together a little bit. So that you have a big stone with three medium scattered around it and say eight small ones scattered around the bigger ones. It makes it feel a bit more organic and natural. I also always flatten my smaller stones normals with a cloud. Even values are never good for organic stuff.

Looks real good though, loved your first iteration!

Hmmm you're right. Maybe I've had added too many pebbles and now it seems too even. I think I will try to tweak it, the cloud trick could do the work (thanks for that!)

Cay wrote: »
    @sltrOlsson I was thinking pretty much the same thing recently.. I just don't know if there's any way to get stones to respect composition.
    Maybe the other guys can give a hint on that.. but there's really no other way than placing them randomly in SD, right?
    (apart from placing them by hand which defeats the purpose of procedural textures)

You can mask the elements you placed randomly, so they will appear only in the places you want them to be. For example, if I want to put some little stones around the bigger rocks, I can use a Bevel node connected to the rocks to mask the area around them, and use that mask with a Blend node to show only the stones that are generated inside this area.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    @Caser well yes I knew that you could just mask out certain parts, but what you'd get is cut off stones in the border region.
    Whereas with the tile sampler node you can define a mask and it takes that as base for the generation (I guess).
    So you don't get any cut off ones, it's either there or not. And that's pretty cool to know!

CTARUFK.gif
    CTARUFK.gifv
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    @Caser well yes I knew that you could just mask out certain parts, but what you'd get is cut off stones in the border region.
    Whereas with the tile sampler node you can define a mask and it takes that as base for the generation (I guess).
    So you don't get any cut off ones, it's either there or not. And that's pretty cool to know!

CTARUFK.gif
    CTARUFK.gifv

I didn't know this node! Thanks cgvinny and Cay!
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some time last night to polish the Rock Face and wrap that up. I'm working on a mini making-of / breakdown now that should be posted to my site soon.

bradford-smith-substance-cliff-face-01.jpg
  • KenJiang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KenJiang null
    Brushed up my peeled paint & metal :)

Took some time to exposed all the parameters and added slots for custom inputs and variations. It could quickly generate a myriad of peeled paint materials in a timely manner now!

Template download link:
    https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/518

PPM.gif
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a varient of the Rock Face material

bradford-smith-substance-cliff-face-01-b.jpg
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a varient of the Rock Face material

bradford-smith-substance-cliff-face-01-b.jpg

This is sick! I'm curious if you still do the zbrush tiling/photoshop workflow from your videos for environments, or if you've mostly moved on to using substance designer since we've moved onto pbr?
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @xChris, Thanks! For MOST tiling textures and surface detail materials I'm 100% inside of Substance Designer these days. I use ZBrush still for architectural trim textures and stuff like that. Photoshop and XNormal however are collecting digital dust.

And actually, it wasn't even PBR that got me excited about Designer. At that time PBR wasn't a buzz worthy term :poly121:. Since you are familiar with my videos, you know that I like to automate things! Designer allowed me to re-create my photoshop workflow and do a whole lot more.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    @xChris, Thanks! For MOST tiling textures and surface detail materials I'm 100% inside of Substance Designer these days. I use ZBrush still for architectural trim textures and stuff like that. Photoshop and XNormal however are collecting digital dust.

And actually, it wasn't even PBR that got me excited about Designer. At that time PBR wasn't a buzz worthy term :poly121:. Since you are familiar with my videos, you know that I like to automate things! Designer allowed me to re-create my photoshop workflow and do a whole lot more.

Oh wow thanks for the informative response man! Definitley going to push myself harder with designer now, thanks for that!:)
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    @bradhb3D woah, that's impressive, couldn't imagine you could achieve those results just inside substance, that VOLUME!!. Can't wait for you making-of/tut/breakdown haha.
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mini making of article is done! It's a brief overview of my process and how I apply sculpting principles to my Substance workflow

http://bradfolio.com/art/substance/substance-red-rock-cliff-face/

bradford-smith-substance-cliff-face-01-height-breakdown.gif
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14

CTARUFK.gif
    CTARUFK.gifv

This is something I've wanted in Photoshop SO much..

But it's really simple with that node.. You just use a wider threshold for you smaller rocks to make them populate "around" your bigger rocks. The bigger one being drawn on top of the small ones obviously..
  • Thousand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    The mini making of article is done! It's a brief overview of my process and how I apply sculpting principles to my Substance workflow

thanks a lot!! :thumbup:
  • monkeybit29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeybit29 polycounter lvl 8
    Welp, here's my attempt at week 11's.
    This was super difficult and I learned a lot from it. I'm glad I found this thread, i'm learning a lot from a lot of you guys, great work!
    Critques are very much needed and welcome! :^D

5JHAcDJ.png
  • timbencole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Loving this thread, this is my first time posting so I thought I'd give the week 11 dirt challenge a go. Here's my first pass, working on layering and scattering variation.
    dS96GE7.jpg
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17

Pretty awesome! Started playing with substance but my actual problem is no matter what, my low frequency noise look like shit (and I am holding my horses when I say that hehe). I wonder how you go about deforming / altering your low frequency shapes before combining them, to have the details not looking CG / procedural. That's my biggest peeve at the mo. Slope blur is often giving me stepped edges, then I am stuck without really knowing how to get rid of them. So if you have any tips / advices or what works or not, as I am sure you're experienced enough to know what works and what don't and have some recipes... hehe.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    I tried making a muddy ground weeks ago but didn't get any closer to what I wanted, so decided to give a try at week 9 but giving it some watery mud. Think I achieved what I was looking for but there's still something of, any c&c is appreciated :).

ma3DPUD.jpg

I'd add some more deaf leafs and things like that but I learned while I was working on it, so the graph is a MESS, I'll get a headache if I have to go back and add extra detail, I'll put that time in some new substances I guess haha.
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fr0gg1e, If you can post an image or two of the part of your graph in question, that would help me better target some specific suggestions.

In general though, I use a lot of directional warping. Often I'll warp one frequency by another 1-4 times before I blend. And sometimes I'll warp that FG layer before blending too. Get creative with your blends as well, try blending and then using that blend result as a mask for another type of BG / FG blend.

I know that people often use Slope Blur for a few types of effects, but I'm personally not a fan. I don't use that node anymore. There are better more explicit ways of handling those types of effects (usually with directional blur)

You mentioned the "looking procedural" issue; often times my textures don't stop looking procedural until the very last blend, and that's okay! For example, you can see my normal map result BEFORE I subtract the slice layers. It's certainly not bad, but it's definitely not shippable!

bradford-smith-substance-cliff-face-01-wip-no-depth-mod-normal.png
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    New week is up. Time to try some tree barks.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Shinigami,

IDK of any out there right now. Most of the ones that cover more organic mats are walkthroughs. Rogelio Olguin has a pretty good one covering creating mud and rocks.
    https://vimeo.com/user474658

It's kinda cheating but I worked on these about a week ago. Gonna try to refine my juniper and pine bark this week and see what I can pull off:
    arvin-villapando-refined-oak.jpg?1443210650
    arvin-villapando-sweetgum2.jpg?1443924049

Might also be a good starting point for people this week. Much of my refining shapes I got by using direction blur to get a vertical noise, then slope blur grayscale to create some more solid shapes:

PVFg337.png
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    haha, nice Arvin, i'll do the same (I did this months ago)

hugo-beyer-treebark-texture.jpg
  • Micaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    Quick warm up before work, nothing awesome
    5xygIOE.jpg
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugo! Thanks man! Good to see you here man! Still can't get over how impressive that bark is. Really got swap notes with you one of these days. :D

Nice start on that Micaki!
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yaschan polycounter lvl 7
    Here is my first serious attempt at the diamond plate
    I would really appreciate any advice or critique as I am just beginner with Substance Designer.

edit=I got the images embedded finally..

W2SLfEe.jpg
    nQ1FHPb.jpg
    rv1kAU8.jpg
    gmjDv2H.jpg
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yaschan polycounter lvl 7
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    Hi Shinigami,

IDK of any out there right now. Most of the ones that cover more organic mats are walkthroughs. Rogelio Olguin has a pretty good one covering creating mud and rocks.
    https://vimeo.com/user474658

It's kinda cheating but I worked on these about a week ago. Gonna try to refine my juniper and pine bark this week and see what I can pull off:
    arvin-villapando-refined-oak.jpg?1443210650
    arvin-villapando-sweetgum2.jpg?1443924049

Might also be a good starting point for people this week. Much of my refining shapes I got by using direction blur to get a vertical noise, then slope blur grayscale to create some more solid shapes:

PVFg337.png

fantastic!
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Shinigami wrote: »
    a QQ:

Do you guys only use the stuff that is built in substance or do you import your own maps to create stuff like that?

Im looking at youtube tutorials and unfortunately, they dont cover stuff like rock surfaces, things iam actually interested in.

I know its crazy but is someone willing to record/livestream the next creation?

This thread is 100% substance made :-)
    And for the rocks: taka a look at Rogelio's tutos on Vimeo ("Rogelio substance designer" in the search bar should do the job ;))
  • stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Hi,
    my sands test ; i'm not in time ^^ .

aurelien-vaillant-sand-dune-03.jpg?1444059367

aurelien-vaillant-sand-base-02.jpg?1444059362

More rendering on my Art Station.
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message