Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    [sketchfab]f57b2316afc84704a2b562a82c066a7f[/sketchfab]
    CobbleStone Cube by Steve Peters on Sketchfab
  • ansh0488
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ansh0488 polycounter lvl 11
    I did a cobblestone pattern when I started learning substance designer around 6 months back. I thought of redoing it for this challenge, but couldn't get any time this week. Anyways, here it goes.

[IMG][/img]kP0xG3x.jpg
    [IMG][/img]X0LkEvu.jpg
    [IMG][/img]JMpPhYG.jpg
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    @arvinmoses , thanks for the kind words!

Here are the renders for the intermediate challenge:

sergi-lluch-render-mt.jpg?1442519428

sergi-lluch-render-mt2.jpg?1442519431

sergi-lluch-render-mt3.jpg?1442519435

This one was tricky. I tried to do the pattern in a single fx-Map, but I wasn't able to do it. Despite that, I learned new tricks, and made a variant of the splatter circular node, with more control for rotating and deleting the pattern.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Advancing one the cobblestone (dry and wet version) :

CobbleStone003.png

CobbleStone006.png

CobbleStone007.png

CobbleStone005.png

CobbleStone004.png
  • bnolancgartist
    I am just now starting to learn a little bit of pbr shaders. what do you guys think?stonepath_zpst1nyzqb5.jpg
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    So last weeks cliff challenge is one i struggled with a lot. It took me 11 different trys to come up with this. I sorta did it by accident because i was trying to replicate what Jorymos did for his submission. Anyways, I am super pleased with the outcome of this one. I think it just goes to show that you should never give up. :D

FfR8vkL.jpg
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    New week has started.
  • monkeybit29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeybit29 polycounter lvl 8
    Hello! I wish I heard about this earlier, but here's my entry

S36RmS3.png?1
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Hello!

Here's my go at this week's challenge.
    GZ2Kycb.jpg

Gonna try and do intermediate one as soon as I can.
    C&C welcome! :D

Cheers!
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Next the rusted chipped paint.

12030558_10203537630761286_620827031893609227_o.jpg
  • Kashaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    My attempt at the beginner thing:

sd-metalfloor.jpg

I don't like how the dirt's variation came out, and my network is probably a bit too convoluted. But this was fun!
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a "rainmeter" to my cobble stone :-)

cobbleRainTest.gif
  • Kashaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incidentally, can someone criticize my pattern generation? I don't like the fact that my little rivets are rounded at the end instead of pointy, but I didn't have an idea how better to create it using just the procedural tools:

sd-metalfloor2.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
    @Luggage : If you can design some kind of pointy shape, you will be able to merge it with your primary form. Like a square rotated 45° and squashed a bit

I'm late with this one, but I couldn't figure out the way to make an arch style cobblestone... did I miss something? meanwhile i still did this :
    cobblestones.png
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d polycounter lvl 8
    Luggage wrote: »
    Incidentally, can someone criticize my pattern generation? I don't like the fact that my little rivets are rounded at the end instead of pointy, but I didn't have an idea how better to create it using just the procedural tools:

sd-metalfloor2.jpg

You might want to try something like this... start with a larger shape, that already has some falloff like a PRABOLOID. Use a TRANSFORM node to OFFSET it slightly in X, then use either another TRANSFORM or a SYMMETRY node (in my case I have my own symmetry node) to mirror the offset shape across the Y axis. It will effectively get you similar results as above, but with more control and fewer steps.

You will also have to set the TILING MODE to ABSOLUTE > NO TILING on that transform in order to scale it horizontally without it wrapping. So Make sure you use ANOTHER transform after that to set the TILING MODE back to ABSOLUTE > H and V TILING. If you don't, that NO TILING setting could persist throughout your graph and break other things.

Nevermind my Square / Inverse node, that is just something to control falloff, that isn't necessary for this.

bradford-smith-substance-diamond-plate-01-wip-symmetry.jpg
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    Luggage wrote: »

I ended up getting pointy tips when i used the bevel node for my generation. Also, i'd like to point out that it's every cool and interesting to see how differently you can go about achieving the same thing. Heres my graph, look how we tile differently. Heheh i think i did it the hard way. LOL

98ym8Zd.png

@EpicBeardMan
    Only C&C i can suggest is increasing the height slider in the shaders setting to give it a bit more umph.

@rogelio
    This looks great... as expected! :D

@cgvinny
    Thats really cool man! You should show us how to do that. :D

@Luggage
    I think the scratches look a bit off by only being on the tops of the studs and not on the floor part. Other than that this looks really great. good job!

@tigerheart
    The brick spacing seems a little small to me but still though, this looks amazing. Good job mang!

Heres my beginner submissions. They come from the same .sbs but look different i dunno why.
    This first one is my .sbsar.
    VTnck4C.jpg

This is when you extract as bitmaps and add them as a new shader in toolbag 2
    nGdTDpf.jpg

My scene settings and everything else are the same. I dunno why they're different. I have some weird issues like this now and again. Sometimes when i make changes and then publish the .sbs to a .sbsar, import it into toolbag2 my changes aren't there. But exporting as bitmap and then adding in them into toolbag 2 manually, the changes exist. it's quite strange.

C&C very welcomed!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Luggage
    Well, here's mine graph of the pattern for reference:
    ZGlP0Gt.jpg
    (Quick summary of my graph: I was thinking of making the pattern by intersecting 2 circles. When I introduced Blend node (can't remember what was the blending mode) I got the shape I wanted but there was also some leftover from the circles. So I introduced couple of rectangle shapes to mask away the leftovers. And with couple of blend and transform 2D nodes I got the pattern I wanted. And, for the end I introduced Splatter node which is a really interesting node to say the least)
    And, about the material itself. Looks pretty well done. One thing I would add is some "macro" dirt detail, like one or two big stains across the material, and it would be spot on.
    @bradhb3d has an interesting way of doing it. Although I would advise to have as many nodes in the pattern graph so you can easily change the parameters later in the process. And it also might be useful for exposing parameters.

@agentc0re Yeah, I tried pumping up the normal but it seems that it won't go much further, gonna try something with other effects.
    Now, about your work. The pattern looks good. Now, the wear and tear looks too homogeneous. It might be good to mask the existing wear and tear and dirt with some kind of mask, maybe modified cloud noise. Overall, it's pretty well done material.
  • Kashaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answers, everyone! I've revisited it and used a variant of @bradhb2d's method with two offsets and a mask now, which looks much closer to the reference. Also tweaked the dirt and masks a bit more.

sd-metalfloor3.jpg

Rendered in UE4.9 with the new POM shader, btw! And here's the new pattern graph:
    sd-metalfloor4.jpg
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    First pass on the intermediate metal substance (metal still very wip!)

sergi-lluch-render-mt.jpg?1442880074
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EpicBeardMan, @Luggage, Your symmetry approach is pretty much exactly what I did. I just took all those nodes and build some simple switches and controls around them, so I can re-use them later.

@Luggage Your update looks pretty sweet! Nice presentation too.

Download Link: I also put my symmetry node up on my Substance Share where you can download it if you want:

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_user_id=30
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    That's very juicy Caser.

It reads to me as broken taffy-like paint or clay, while the brown material reads more like a generic raw material like plaster or mud

My only bit of feedback would be to remove the grey outline in-lining the breaks.

The red material is very choice. Nice work.
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    @EpicBeardMan
    Hey so i took your advice and tried to get some variation in my roughness. Here's what i came up with.

GAFbo5B.jpg
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @agentc0re now it looks much better. Love it.

Cheers!
  • DefBot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DefBot polycounter lvl 14
    Here is my approach at the beginner metal:
    lhhs33ds.jpg

And also a picture from my pattern graph:
    625uc749.jpg
  • jorymos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jorymos polycounter lvl 10
    had a go at week 10 :)
    mD1nWG5.jpg
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Decided to join in with the fun, here's my take on this week's material:

JQ0j3Vs.jpg

Quick question: I've found that i'm getting some seams in my materials. I've found online that this might be due to using Transform 2D nodes or similar. Does anyone know of a fix for this i.e a node that would re-adjust it and make it tile again? Thanks!
  • mikool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus wrote: »
    Quick question: I've found that i'm getting some seams in my materials. I've found online that this might be due to using Transform 2D nodes or similar. Does anyone know of a fix for this i.e a node that would re-adjust it and make it tile again? Thanks!

I cant see the seam in your render but If your referring to the thin black line you get when using a tile generator after a T2D then you can use a T2D node with tiling set to ABSOLUTE/NO TILING and /2 and then feed that into Tile Generator with the scale set to 2, That should fix the thin black line.

Awesome Texture By the way!
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    @sugus there is a make tileable node
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DefBot Very good material. A question: What blending mode did you use when intersecting 2 spheres to create the pattern?

Cheers!
  • DefBot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DefBot polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks EpicBeardMan. I set the blending mode to Multiply but it also works with MinDarken.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for answering, gotta try that. :D

Cheers!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    mikool wrote: »
    I cant see the seam in your render but If your referring to the thin black line you get when using a tile generator after a T2D then you can use a T2D node with tiling set to ABSOLUTE/NO TILING and /2 and then feed that into Tile Generator with the scale set to 2, That should fix the thin black line.

Awesome Texture By the way!

I should've posted an image with what I meant:

vpTpWyV.jpg

The problem does seem to be the Transformation 2D node. As soon as I use it to rotate a noise node it will create a seam. I tried rotating the matrix for it but it still creates the seam. It doesn't seem to mind moving it around. Does anyone know a way to rotate noise nodes without it causing to seam? (The fault could well be mine as I'm still very new to the software hehe)

Thanks for the tip about the T2D! :)
    noosence wrote: »
    @sugus there is a make tileable node

Thanks, this was very handy to find the source of the problem :D
  • ThePowFin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThePowFin polycounter lvl 5
    The beginner one here from me. At first, I was going to a tinted version, but then I started
    tweaking it and it became less tinted, and I think slightly more accurate. It doesn't tile
    too obviously either, I think. Last shot in Toolbag 2.
    MrjE7Lk.png

PjWIY7n.png

IQBFQQx.jpg
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8

This is a bit late and off topic but better late than never:
    @agentc0re I'm super sorry for not looking at this thread since the last time I posted. Here's my sand substance file that you asked for:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lumsm8qd9c7hb9r/Sand.sbs?dl=0

Feel free anyone to take it and do whatever to it. Keep in mind that it's one of my first substances I've ever made. So it's a bit messy and I'm sure it's not that optimal but still feel free to dissect it.

20798701875_10cf90b0a8_b.jpg
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really need to go back and finish my previous textures, but I just can't help myself every time a new challenge comes up!

Made a Diamond Plate Shape node:

bradford-smith-substance-diamond-plate-01-wip-shape-anim.gif

Got a first pass on the base material:

bradford-smith-substance-diamond-plate-01-wip-a.jpg
  • StoneNRoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StoneNRoll polycounter lvl 3
    Here's my first try on the weekly challenge!

srkyzG1.png

And for last week's challenge.

29h95mQ.png

UfPSmTn.png
  • Bruno Afonseca
    You guys are killing it!
    @StoneNRoll The bricks look great on the cylinder but less interesting on a plane. Maybe you should make some sticking out more than others? A bit of a slope also, and color differences between bricks?
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    I did a second pass on the painted metal substance. Maybe too grungy now. Hmf.

sergi-lluch-render-mt.jpg?1443056634

sergi-lluch-render-mt2.jpg?1443043278
  • Seek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my attempt for the beginner's metal. I'm not quite happy with it but this is my first serious attempt at SD.

1547c6x.png
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Sorry, side tracked :D had some fun with shapes.

12002622_10203556719998505_4433602974096622289_o.jpg
    12002607_10203556720038506_4431644346984386899_o.jpg
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro, that's pretty cool! :poly121:
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    I was thinking that I was back in track according to the Substance Weekly challenge an you post that :O . Need to do metal now :) !

My contribution to the Rocks substances :
    vincent-derozier-vincent-derozier-cliffs.jpg?1443111264
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    I uploaded my painted metal material on Substance Share, for anyone interested to see the method I used to achieve it: https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/498

@rogelio , don't know if it is a happy accident, but it looks really cool :D
  • chrisevans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my first entry in the substance challenges!!
    Diamond_Plated_02.jpg?dl=0
    Diamond_Plated_01.jpg?dl=0
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Caser your substance is really cool ! I just regret that there is no parameter exposed to tweak the final result.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I was thinking that I was back in track according to the Substance Weekly challenge an you post that :O . Need to do metal now :) !

My contribution to the Rocks substances :
    vincent-derozier-vincent-derozier-cliffs.jpg?1443111264

Looking really cool! I would personally like it better if the texture especially the normal map had less noise.
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    cgvinny wrote: »
    @Caser your substance is really cool ! I just regret that there is no parameter exposed to tweak the final result.

Thanks!
    Yeah, I should have done it, but... I was lazy :D
    In fact, there's a lot to improve on the substance to do it really useful ( the pattern repetition is really evident when the texture is tiled a couple of times, for example). I want to try to export the substance to UE4, so maybe I will upload a new version with the correct parameters exposed.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Yeah, I should have done it, but... I was lazy :D
    In fact, there's a lot to improve on the substance to do it really useful ( the pattern repetition is really evident when the texture is tiled a couple of times, for example). I want to try to export the substance to UE4, so maybe I will upload a new version with the correct paramenters exposed.

Nice can't wait ;-)
  • KenJiang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KenJiang null
    Hi, this is my week 1 here :)

PeelingPaint.png