Home General Discussion

Rocket League

mod
No thread on this?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJjvdMHhzz0[/ame]

Who's playing this amazingly hilarious and FUN game? I usually HATE pvp style games, but holy crap this is fun. Been playing at work on my lunches the past few days. Even started in on ranked matches (both 1v1 and 2v2).

Here is one of the best worst goals ive seen (not from my game). haha. too fun.
http://gfycat.com/FarflungBreakableGuineafowl

(game is currently free on psn for PS+ users, i think)

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've been loving it

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7jG4vTT4sk[/ame]

Side note: I also tried the split screen, with my daughter, then joined a match, with friends, and it was cool, playing with my daughter (locally), and friends (online), at the same time.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    friend at work here goes on about how awesome it is, going to have to give it a go
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    One of the best games I've played this year. Very team work orientated, simple on the surface, with a lot of depth. Even playing field with no levels or stats. Very exciting, fun to watch, hard to master.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my video is from the first day of me playing (about 3 or 4 games in)... btw, watch for the money shot, at the end :)

I still have not 'mastered' it, but I have played enough, to have everything unlocked now. Me, and my friends, are attempting to take breaks from it, so we don't suffer from burnout, but it's so good, we keep loading it anyway.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    It has completely taken everyone of us aback at how this game has blown up out of nowhere. Before release it seemed like there wasn't much fanfare or excitement (except our hardcore fans from the first game) and out of nowhere everyone started talking about it and we haven't left first place from Steam's Popular page in 2 weeks.

Makes me wanna squeal happy tears. :3
  • slipsius
    you guys have done such an amazing job with it, Erich. Seriously. Fun. Simple, yet oddly advanced.

I wonder. Do you guys plan on adding more levels that arent just a square? Maybe ones that have a pillar in the middle to fuck with you and the ball. Or a bumpy map or stuff like that? I think i read somewhere you guys said no to powerups somewhere? Which I hope is true, because the lack of powerups actually makes it feel like an even playing field.

Would just be fun to see different shapes for maps.
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    best game in ages

so much fun

i just hope they will add self hosted games and LAN

@erich: well done! now work on the damn lag and servers :D
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Game is awesome. Been playing some rounds in the morning. A game that is pretty funny and fun.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great, but echoing slipsius I wonder where the variation is gonna come from. Will there be wackier maps or some such to change things up?
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yep. Love it. Been waiting for this game for ages. Logged like 80 hrs in 2 weeks. So... addicted... Im trying to get a tourament set up at work.

such a simple concept done well. Easy to pick up and play, difficult to master. And If you want to see a master playing it, look up kronovi. He does some crazy shit!

Love 1v1. Its suprisingly tactical.

if anyone fancies a game i'm stinger88 on steam. And if any studios fancy taking our studio on that'd also be cool. Maybe even a polycount tourament could be arranged.....
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    removing double post...

But while i'm on. I've been thinking that it'd be awesome if there was a community competition to create content for the game. New cars, wheels, hats, maps, etc...

The game is getting more maps to add variety. I believe the first maps is called Utopia which is base on a circular map from the first game. I'm hoping we'll get more crazy maps and some different game modes (Low gravity, infinite boost, small ball, 1v1v1v1 with 4 goals, etc)

2 New cars and at least 1 map is coming in the first DLC, here's a sneak peak at one of the car:
    CKikbFAUsAAUzeA.jpg

oh and btw. this is how the game looks when pros play it.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8pt_wxSJA
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Stinger88 please I'm dying to know know that grass was made. Can someone elaborate? I want similar look for my game in outdoor levels cause grass is/will be crucial part of it..
    Thank you for any help or pointers. I think it is all mesh (with LOD) but wireframe would tell me the most.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hi Cupster... Sorry.. I havent a clue, I didn't work on the game. Just love it A LOT and get all my info from twitter.

Probably some kind of grass shader... ErichWK might be able to help. :D
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you for clarification! Hope mentioned guy will jump in and elaborate :) I would LOVE to know how exactly it was made...
  • Mr.Moose
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    This game has ruined my productivity.. Why do art when I could be playing rocket league!?

Really amazing game, And the fact that it has splitscreen is amazing. Haven't played splitscreen in years, especially not on a PC, and especially not online!

Love this game

10/10
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the love, guys!

As far as lag on the servers..well. Everything is dedicated and we have like a 150,000 players playing at once..so the servers tend to get at max CPU usage I think (I am just a stupid artist so i might be wrong). Our team is constantly working to try to get things so just be patient, we seriously read every forum/blog/tweet post and try to address as much as we can.

As far as other shaped maps, we have had a lot of fans asking for it..so we might have some fun! The first map Free DLC we are dropping is a regulation court, but after that who knows! If enough people ask for stuff, chances are we will consider it. It just takes time making maps because we don't half ass anything on the art side. I mean, look at Nosgoth. We are a tiny art team but really put as much effort into everything as we can.

Also our concept artist, Jay did all the cars. he rules so check him out. http://zhangarts.com/

As far as the grass..that was our Tech Artist Ben. He is a mad scientist. It's all done in the UE3 shader and I have zero idea how he went about it, but it is beer friday so maybe I will try to ask and have it go all over my head. I just Zbrush all day at work and no basic Material stuff.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Rocket League so hot right now! Walking through the BYOC at Quakecon yesterday, I probably saw 50 people playing it lol. I gotta get in on this!
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Any idea if there's talk of support for custom maps Erich? I really dig what you guys did with the environments and they looked pretty fun to do ll the variations.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket League so hot right now! Walking through the BYOC at Quakecon yesterday, I probably saw 50 people playing it lol. I gotta get in on this!

What?!?! Fer Real?!

As far as custom maps, no plans now.
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Just bought it. Addicting!! Love it! I haven't had this much fun in a game a long time. :)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    What?!?! Fer Real?!

Yeah man, it was everywhere!
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    This game is a perfect example how a simple game, done properly, can be just as much fun as a game where they spend millions, and jack if full of crap.
  • Millah
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    This game rocks! I'm running on a major sleep deficit this week. So fun!
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Good old simple clean fun, love it!
  • slipsius
    I am getting pretty damn good at air defense. Ive starting playing D a lot more in my 2v2 games, so my usually teammate goes up. I`ll block any shots on net, or boost in the air to knock it forward back to my team mate. Usually playing D in games is terribly boring. In this, it's an awesome F'ing feeling, knocking stuff out of mid air.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yup. Flying is awesome!! I'm also getting pretty good at defense. I generally play 3v3 though, playing 2v2 with randoms usually means I end up with someone who just chases the ball everywhere and I'm forced to play Def. At least with 3v3 the odds are a bit better you'll get at least one decent player, and I can roam a bit. But as you say playing D isn't boring at all. I love getting epic saves almost as much as getting an "awesome flying slam dunk" goal.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel like having a permanent defener is a bad idea when you have your own team on voice chat, call your plays and who ever is furthest back on a push stays in the midfield, ready to fall back or push when they need to. But when the ball is in your side of the court, everyone should be back, one person should be at the goal, the other following the ball and messing with opponents, and the other should be trying to play positional and keep the center clear and help the other 2 cover.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    IGN interview, mostly about the coming DLC and the much needed PUNISH THE RAGEERS! YUS!

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/07/28/the-future-of-rocket-league
  • slipsius
    15 minute ban if you leave a match? wow. What happens if you D/c? The servers aren't exactly stable
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hopefully they still let people quit in singles without a penalty, losing or winning by 8 points with minutes left isn't fun for either player.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    The ban is just for Rank mode. The servers are getting more and more stable. If it doesn't work we'll be tweaking it. We'll always constantly be tweaking!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got to play today at lunch. I can see what all the buzz is about! You can't play without a huge smile on your face.

Erich, any plans for custom car bodies? I'd love to make my own.
  • slipsius
    Good to know, Erich! And ya. the servers are definitely getting better. But ive still experienced some pretty HORRIBLE rubber banding and stuff yesterday. Hopefully that clears out soon.

but if you quit 1v1, will you be banned as well? the other person wins and can move on, so its not THAT big of a deal if they leave. they dont leave a partner in a 2v1 game. Maybe just add a massive rank penalty? Then again, people could abuse that to stay low and destroy noobs.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I love the idea of a 15min penalty, i'd like to see an even bigger penatly tbh. The amount of times I get DC'd is probably 1in20 so being punished for that is fine and totally out weighed by the fact that genuine raging players get hit hard.

It sounds to me like either side will vote to forfeit. So in a 1v1 you wouldn't quit, you'd just forfeit and not get punished.

I'm disappointed that the new map is "regulation" and the fact that any "unique" maps might only have a bump in the middle or something small. I want circular maps with the goals back to back in the middle of the pitch or something. I hope that comes one day, as I hope the modifiers do as well.

I REALLY think the devs should be talking to polycount about getting some community content in the game. The Next PC competition!...lets hope its in the works.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah this game would be perfect for community content like TF2 and Dota2. Although setting that up and managing it would be a lot of work. I want the standard regulation mode to be the main focus, but I really think a weekly rotation of silly modes would help keep the game fresh. Things like power ups, interesting maps, ramps, double balls, hockey style goals, a map with pits or levels, a basketball goal, etc, would be fun.
  • slipsius
    I hope to every god ever that the modifiers dont come back to the game. Or at the very least, not in ranked mode. Keep them in non-ranked, or have a separate game mode with them. The reason this game is so amazing, and the reason why so many people like it, is because it's an even playing field at all times. If you play LoL, if you suck, at the end of the match, you such even more, cause eveyrone has better items and stuff. In this, it's ALWAYS even. It's purely skill based (with a bit of luck). But anything to make someone stronger or faster or whatever, even for a few seconds, would ruin the fun, I think.

But yes. I definitely want different shaped maps. A pillar down the middle of the map that you can drive up as well. or even just the square map, but the nets are 1 net height higher, so you have to do an air shot to get it in. no more slow rolls in and such.

But I do like the idea of the small bumps and stuff as well. I think those would be fun, even if it was such a small change. Changes things drastically.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got to play today at lunch. I can see what all the buzz is about! You can't play without a huge smile on your face.

Erich, any plans for custom car bodies? I'd love to make my own.

Ya, This would be great for community content or as a project, I can talk to the team and see what the say. Things are kind of hectic currently, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't down the road. As far as quitting, you will be able to forfeit so you won't be punished. Trust, there are many times I wish I had a forfeit button.

W_ntFbWiT2O8.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    New map looks awesome! (although I still wish it was circular) and I love the new retro muscle car Dominus.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3YdFnQKf_Y[/ame]
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    New map? where? what?
  • slipsius
    lefix wrote: »
    New map? where? what?

0:45 they show the new map. same map layout, but the background is different. outdoor arena type
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Just wanted to say congrats on your success and given this thread, I am now going to go buy the game (So fan based guerrilla marketing is working great!). Looks like a blast!
  • KYLECRAT
    Anyone have an idea of the Tri count on the cars? I am very curious.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    These guys did such a great job on the game, I was so glad to get it on PS Plus this month... Super addictive!!
  • pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Super great game. I'd love it if there were more customization options added so that my car could really feel unique. It would also be awesome if you could have seperate customization for red and blue teams.
  • slipsius
    Personally, I`d love to be able to change my quick chat sayings. There are so many I dont use. But there are certain things I type in all the time. would be nice to change them.

-Good Game, or just GG (end of the game)
    -Good matchup! (for when the game is super close and our skill levels are equal)
    -You're welcome (for when i do a self goal, or when they say thanks)
    -Bad Luck (for those real shitty start goals in 1v1)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart wrote: »
    Super great game. I'd love it if there were more customization options added so that my car could really feel unique. It would also be awesome if you could have separate customization for red and blue teams.

I think there are plenty of customization options, though more is always welcomed. I do like the idea of having a car for blue, and a car for red.

One thing that I would REALLY like, is to keep my configuration, on each vehicle. So, if I customize the van, then customize a car, my van won't lose it's colors/options configuration.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    slipsius wrote: »
    Personally, I`d love to be able to change my quick chat sayings. There are so many I dont use. But there are certain things I type in all the time. would be nice to change them.

-Good Game, or just GG (end of the game)
    -Good matchup! (for when the game is super close and our skill levels are equal)
    -You're welcome (for when i do a self goal, or when they say thanks)
    -Bad Luck (for those real shitty start goals in 1v1)

+1. Would love to have better quick chat options.

"GG" and "well played"
    "NO BOOST!"
    "Help!"
    "Unlucky.."

are a few i'd like to see. I'd also like to see one of the D pad directions having quotes I can define and have custom text strings. Things like:

"Stop chasing the ball mindlessly"
    "aaand... Ragequit!"
    "Stop typing and play the game..."
    "great... another AFK player"
  • slipsius
    For the quick chat, I know you can run into issues with people using swears and stuff. So maybe if you guys had a huge list of approved sayings, where you go into the contorls options, and each direction on the pad has an option that you can click, and it will pop up this huge list that you can go through and select which ones you want to have. that way you can rearrange the quick chat as well. so you can have your favourite four on 1 direction.
  • slipsius