Home General Discussion

Fez 2 cancelled, Dev leaves game industry

JamesArk
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
From IGN. Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/27/fez-ii-cancelled

Twitter quotes from Fish from the article:

"The news broke on Fish's personal Twitter account, where the developer wrote: "im done. FEZ II is canceled. goodbye.""

"To be clear, im not cancelling FEZ II because some boorish f**k said something stupid," tweeted Fish. "im doing it to get out of games.""

And he went on to add: "and im getting out of games because i choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."

Never played the first but remember thinking it was very cool at the time and it was received very well. Wonder what drove him to up and quit games entirely.

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    First was a masterpiece. Got the first ending and was floored..still need to get the true ending.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What exactly happened? What's the abuse he's talking about?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    He refused to comment on some XBox One rumors, which opened a floodgate of vitriol from various people and the news source.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I think Marcus Beer (annoyed gamer) was saying some dumb stuff about him and Jonathon Blow which led to an internet argument. And we all know here, those are the best arguments.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    got fez from steam,
    but well thats good, I don't give a damn ... :)
    someone out there just can't take their own medicine ..

http://www.examiner.com/article/phil-fish-breaks-a-gasket-tells-media-member-to-kill-himself
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    "To be clear, im not cancelling FEZ II because some boorish f**k said something stupid," tweeted Fish. "im doing it to get out of games.""

No I don't believe it. He had 5 years of making Fez to hate the industry and get out of it. He's pretty much equating the industry here with his experience of the communities worst (which obviously he did not interact with professionally.)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    This guy needs to learn more about how not to give a fuck.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    He also needs to learn how to be nice. What goes around comes around.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think Beer is way out of line in this instance, but Fish's tendency to behave like a prima-donna doesn't exactly make me all that sympathetic to his plight.

If you're an indi guy your community's respect is your most precious resource - you don't have millions of dollars of marketing money to get the word out, you need the folks who like and respect you and support what you're trying to do to go out and tell the people that they should try your game. If you squander that by for example, telling people to quote: "suck my dick, choke on it" because you won an IGF award, the community is going to turn on you.
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
    beer battered fish sounds good tonight
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This is so ridiculous. I barely even know this guy but it's obvious he's got some bad temper issues. Someone said "The whole reason that podcast shit on him was because he acts like a pretentious child. How does he react to it? Like a pretentious child..."
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Even if Beer started it, this...

DNVRtIW.jpg

...really shows Fishs maturity. Goodbye mr Fish. I won't miss you. I hope you won't come back with some dramatic 'entrance'.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    OK, here is what happened. If you're interested in what started it all, here is: http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/roj70m/invisible-walls-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink

TL; DR: Two kids in a playground start fighting, one of them has the Batman figure, who decides to take it away and his toys so that the other kids have no to toys to play with now and thinks he somehow managed to send a message, forgetting these kids can literally do other things.

To boil it down to, Marcus Beer, who makes a show called THE ANNOYED GAMER, and who has history on PR for games, think Fish is an asshole and call is out on it and says alot of the stuff Fish does is total BS.

He is known as the guys that eggs everyone because that what his show is about.

Fish claims it's a case of being egged on and asked questions about XBone, when infact, if anyone recalls, he was the first person to complain about XBone and comment about it and it's patching system, people wanted more from him and his opinion, but after the PR nightmare he had, he decided to say no more.

Marcus mentions that part, calls BS for a few elements, and call him an asshole for his attitude.

Fish decided to fire shots back at Marcus. Marcus has been a professional annoyed bastard for a while now, so he knows how to deal with it. Fish doesn't, starts using strawman arguments with him.

Things don't go well, Fish asks for a public apology from them. Get ridiculed for not having thick skin.

Fish escalate that to insane levels, he literally tells the Marcus guy to compare his life to that of his own, and then kill himself.
    vIIY7sk.png

Later his account goes into Protection and he posts that FEZ2 has been canceled, and that the gaming community is toxic.

The sad thing about all of this is that even if the Marcus was an asshole, Fish literally came out the bigger asshole in this picture.
    It's also been known for a while that Fish has a lack of verbal etiquette and social skills, not to mention serious emotional issues, all of these don't translate well to PR management.
    Having twitter account doesn't help, when you're also the type of person that fires off comments without thinking about it.

Seriously, as much as I would like to side with Fish because he got egged on, I simply cannot. His attitude, BS'ing on other people but not being able to take it back? Getting real personal with attacks? Everything he did opened him up more to getting egged.

The last straw is how he thinks taking away FEZ2 is some kind of cardinal sin that we as gamers and Dev's to reprimand by siding with him against Marcus, kinda sicking to see him think so highly of his game, to the point of a golden chalice or something. He can go ahead fuck himself with an unreleased copy of FEZ2 if he likes, that's how much he is worth.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    its a shame... hes a talent but his talent is firmly placed in game making and not social skills...

have a feeling fez2 might resurface once hes had some naughty step time.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Are this many people missing the reference from the "kill yourself" statement? It's taken from Futurama (Bender) and another one of his jokes that people take seriously.

The shit this guy gets is ridiculous. Marcus spouted pure nonsense with no justification. Who cares if some famous indies deny giving a comment on a rumor?

Fish still says stupid things sometimes (or takes stuff too far), but I'm just sick of the circlejerk from Neogaf spreading throughout all of the internet. I'm betting Fez II is not actually canceled.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't watch Futurama... I don't get the reference... why should I ? Is it something to watch before you can talk to other people? This supposed to be funny ? What's funny about '...kill yourself' ?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    He's having a tantrum, let him cool off and he'll probably start working again.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    I don't watch Futurama... I don't get the reference... why should I ? Is it something to watch before you can talk to other people? This supposed to be funny ? What's funny about '...kill yourself' ?
    There's a certain irony to him using that quote, given Bender uses it right after he impulsively selling off his body, a decision that he quickly regrets.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (never mind - no need to pile on)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    honestly with all the shit that happened during FEZ´s developement i am not surprised at all.
    He realy needs some kind of personal manager that handles all PR for him.

I gues hes a millionair by now so whatever, he may go fuck himself.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was Fez that successful?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I believe it was pretty succesful, yes.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Was Fez that successful?

millionaire overnight successful.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Not my kind of game but obviously it worked for a lot of other people. :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Even if Beer started it, this...

DNVRtIW.jpg

...really shows Fishs maturity. Goodbye mr Fish. I won't miss you. I hope you won't come back with some dramatic 'entrance'.
    rofl is this one of his tweets?

I would have bought fez 2 9 times over
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    hmm not the most mature person, he really should just hire a pr guy, and not deal with the public at all.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    He took being an ass to everyone a bit too far. There's only so much press he could have generated until eventually everyone started to dislike him. Or maybe he is just a tool altogether, which makes it worse I guess.
  • leilei
  • Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    THAT "rage quit" :-)
  • ATaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »

Wow bringing up personal stuff like that's just a bit too far in my book but he does take it too seriously and to an extent brings it on himself.

He has told people in the past to "choke on his c**k he's won awards" and "why would I release Fez on PC? PCs are for f*cking spreadsheets"
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What he needs to learn is self control. He doesn't have to gobble up every crumb of bait they throw at him. It's entirely his choice to work himself into a lather.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That makes this whole thing really disgusting. Fuck them both.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Okay, he's canceling Fez. That means he's now... nobody? I'd bet a million bucks it's not cancelled.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone who's seen Indie Game: the Movie knows that Fish needs some personal help. He's got some major anxiety issues. I feel for the guy, but someone with his issues shouldn't be in contact with their haters.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Just about every public person in the game dev bussiness gets flack on a daily basis, and there's no excuse for that.

However, people who throw tantrums about it are the persons who are incredibly hard to work with in the face of pressure or situations of arguing, such as a place like twitter.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    eld wrote: »
    there's no excuse for that.

Yeah, Phil took things too far IMO, but Marcus started to attack Phil on a very personal level. I try to be professional as much as possible but if someone was attacking my personal life for their own gain, to somehow extract information from me, the gloves come off; all else be damned.

FEZ was astounding and this news deeply crushes my gamer soul.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Meh, he's outspoken but he's just reacting to the modern-day toxic gamer. Seriously why should an indy developer receive so much hate, he's just recently published...
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13

WHOAAAA not fucking cool.

I'm not one to stick my nose in a purse-swinging contest on Twitter, but that is a line you do not cross.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This is all so childish, if you have a beef with someone, you deal with it by phone or email, not through fucking twitter where everyone can witness the whole thing. Both sides are to blame.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously why should an indy developer receive so much hate, he's just recently published...
    Because he responds. Every time. He's an easy mark so the trolls gravitate to him.

It's Internet 101.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    I think both of them display levels of immaturity seldom seen outside of a kindergarten.

phil-fish-tweet.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-04-21-at-9.04.55-PM.png
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No matter what he says or does... he still made an incredible and engaging game that was beautiful and imaginative. And it's a shame if he stops now.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    really I prolly won't get the game after this, since it seems he talks to everyone this way. don't really want to support someone that acts like such a dick. which sucks since it did seem to have good ideas in the game.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I think what Beer said in the GT episode was pretty spot on. I mean, he does act like a whny bastard and an asshole, no denying that.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Phil Fish had the audacity to reply to ridiculous amounts of vitriol and personal attacks in kind. This made everything worse of course, but it's extremely shitty that it's expected of him to just take it and not reply to any of the bullshit people pull.

He responded to a personal, non-constructive attack on him and his art with "suck my dick" and a steam boycott based on people feeling entitled to pre order Fez for less than 9$ with the 90$ shit. He says what I'm pretty fucking sure a lot of devs on the receiving end of this shit wants to say but can't because of PR and "gaming jurnalizm" blowing shit out of proportion and biased reports.

Why does the consumer have a right to act like a fucking asshole and attack people? Why can't he reply in kind?

Phil only responded to threats and hate in an equally assholish way, as is his right as the target of baseless personal attacks. Some of his personal opinions have been said in a stupid fucking manner sure, but the guy is passionate for his game, probably too passionate. Sure it's not "Professional" but I really find the whole idea that the creators should bend over and take it while consumers can just say whatever, despite being non-contributing parasites, to be completely ridiculous.

Marcus Beer is a non-person working for one of the worst game reviewing websites around with an astonishingly shitty community, the only reason he talks shit about Jon and Phil is because those two can't afford to pay GT Millions in ad revenue to plaster their shitty site with shitty ads, so it's "safe".

Fuck Marucs Beer and fuck the vitriolic kneejerk reaction entitled piece of fucking shit that a lot of the gaming community seems to be.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    As we say here, "if you defend yourself from an agression, you'll be the bad guy, always".

First of all, he's a person, and i'm sure we don't like being called asshole, and more in a public medium by a "journo" (that's the word?).

"Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself" is not something so outrageous, it's harmless :D, i find the phrase ironic but nothing more. For him, being a guru may be quite bad, because all the bad people will analyse all what he said to attack him, word by word.

I think all this thing is more related to the envy of his success than any other thing. the people envy his fortune and what he achieved. Fez is a master piece.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Why does the consumer have a right to act like a fucking asshole and attack people? Why can't he reply in kind?

Phil only responded to threats and hate in an equally assholish way, as is his right as the target of baseless personal attacks. Some of his personal opinions have been said in a stupid fucking manner sure, but the guy is passionate for his game, probably too passionate. Sure it's not "Professional" but I really find the whole idea that the creators should bend over and take it while consumers can just say whatever, despite being non-contributing parasites, to be completely ridiculous.

He can do whatever he wants, but he is trying to sell a product to people. Usually, it's not in the best interest to shit on people when you're trying to sell them something. It's not like there is any shortage of other forms of entertainment for people to purchase instead.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fez 2 cancelled, Dev leaves game industry

oh noes.......

*continues on with life*