Home General Discussion

War Z (That's right, not Day Z)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
Well this looks pretty cool. An mmo experience similar to Day Z, but with a lot better graphics by the looks of it. That's the one thing keeping me from Day Z, it looks a little too old for my taste.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/19/the-war-z-a-new-zombie-survival-experience?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&page=1

1r2qJ.jpg

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Just read through it, sounds cool! I am already more inclined to get this than DayZ. I'd rather play an actual game than an overly flooded alpha mod for a game I have no interest in.

I like the character lock system in Normal as well. You still have the fear of dying, but instead of losing all your data your character will be locked for 24 to 48 hours and you can't play it anymore. I love that idea!

Thanks for the link.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really surprised no major studio has touched this idea yet, there are a lot of zombie games out there, but zero (that I know of) true survival games. I hope they make it so you need to find food, find med supplies, etc. Could be a great game for sure.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome. I've been tempted to play Day Z, but was waiting 'til it was a bit more finished. This sounds more like what I'd want to play.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Here is the website if anyone wants to try for the beta!

http://thewarz.com/

This sounds great :)
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    So it it pronouced Warz or War Zee (Zed?)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Is the whole "Z" thing just a coincidence or are they deliberately ripping off Day Z? :/
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Is the whole "Z" thing just a coincidence or are they deliberately ripping off Day Z? :/
    I dont think Day Z invented it...
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    world war Z was published in 2006 i think. so if anybody got ripped of it was Max Brooks
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was a shortening of the World War Z book title, not necessarily related in any way. From the IGN article it sounds like the title was an unfortunate coincidence that they aren't currently acknowledging.

I love the idea of players leaving notes for each other that may or may not be traps.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm, maybe the title isn't the only familiar thing?
    warzhomeuijpg-9d7621_800w.jpg

... I guess there's worse people to be in a zombie apocalypse...
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    It looks pretty solid. The graphics in DayZ have gotten much better as the updates come. I suggested a safe zone in the forums there, it's nice to see that these guys are implementing that idea...I also find being solo with no real way to do a pug, in DayZ a problem.

Nice to see they are addressing that as well.

Thanks for posting the website...
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    I dont think Day Z invented it...

True. But making a legit game that in premise is the same as a mod called Day Z... then naming it War Z... a little too obvious.

Edit: I actually read the IGN article now :) The game was indeed in production before Day Z came out, so obviously there are some coincidences, but I guess I'm still a little skeptical that Day Z had no influence on the direction of it and the naming.

-Generic zombie mmo in production
    -DayZ comes out
    -Lets borrow some ideas!
    -Lets rename it!
    -Screenshots!
    -IGN article!
    -Lets say it was that way all along!

Ok, I'll quit hating now :/
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    True. But making a legit game that in premise is the same as a mod called Day Z... then naming it War Z... a little too obvious.

Edit: I actually read the IGN article now :) The game was indeed in production before Day Z came out, so obviously there are some coincidences, but I guess I'm still a little skeptical that Day Z had no influence on the direction of it and the naming.

-DayZ comes out
    -Lets borrow some ideas!
    -Lets rename it!
    -Screenshots!
    -IGN article!

No, War Z is based upon World War Z, set in an MMO pipeline, you cannot simply up and go and change EVERYTHING of the game in under a year from Generic MMO to survival based that quick, it's simply not possible.

There are plenty of Comics and Books which have the word Z in them, and they all follow the World War Z storyline, which itself, it's an extension of the Zombie Survival Guide (many fans call it Ze Survival Guide, with Ze both being for Zombies and 'the' jokes about how French people pronounce it).

Day Z did EXACTLY the same thing thing, with the only added benefit that 90% of the kludge work was already done in Arma, it's all about working around and with the engine in a clever way.

War Z didn't have any of that.

I mean honestly, this conversation is starting it get to the point of "All FPS game ripped off Doom because it was an FPS", I understand you're a fan of Day Z, but going to the point in hating a game/company for as something as mundane as the title, when it comes from people who like Max Brooks, it very silly to say the least.

Also, the Day Z author mentioned he wanted to go 'solo' on the project, as in without Arma 2, how pissed of will you be when a bunch of people hear this news for the first time and say "Oh, Day Z saw War Z being a solo thing, so he's ripping them off!"?
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    -DayZ comes out
    -Lets borrow some ideas!
    -Lets rename it!
    -Screenshots!
    -IGN article!

They're evolving to what the players want, their first rendition of the game they were describing was really not all that appealing.

Hugh wrote: »
    even if they copied the game design exactly I dont see it selling as well. One it will referred to as a DayZ clone.

League of Legends.. People want a polished experience.

Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Also, the Day Z author mentioned he wanted to go 'solo' on the project, as in without Arma 2, how pissed of will you be when a bunch of people hear this news for the first time and say "Oh, Day Z saw War Z being a solo thing, so he's ripping them off!"?

He wants a stand-alone client, it'll still be using Bohemia's new engine.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    yes but the conditions for which LoL came were completely different. It was based on DoTA but it really wasn't a DoTA clone in many aspects.

I think hitoninfinity hit the nail on the head

Okay, so we already know that The War Z isn't a clone of DayZ. I never said it was going to be, I was saying that they know there's a market for something similar and they'd like to make a polished version.

They realized that their game was already fairly similar to DayZ and made some changes because they knew what was going to be marketable and already has a large player-base.

And yes, it was a DotA clone.. It solidified a godamn genre. Not saying that all FPS games were based off of Doom, but when someone sees a market for the type of game and creates something similar, they're not going to be flamed and booed.. They'll be joyous to see something more polished with additional features.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't even think it matters if it's a "clone" or not I don't like these debates on "That game is a rip off of COD" or "That game is a rip off of World of Warcraft" If the game looks good, and its executed well i'll buy it, if not I won't . The Rip offs arguments are so pointless. Unless DayZ trademarked the whole Zombie Apocalypse "genre" then yeah maybe... but it doesn't own it. At the "I don't see it selling well" really? like Rai said its polished people will buy it... I better stop I'm getting worked up now :p
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you cannot simply up and go and change EVERYTHING of the game in under a year from Generic MMO to survival based that quick, it's simply not possible.

Yeah, exactly... possibly why it's being unveiled with only a handful of screenshots and an interview.

And I really doubt they would have to change EVERYTHING:
    Day Z did EXACTLY the same thing thing, with the only added benefit that 90% of the kludge work was already done in Arma, it's all about working around and with the engine in a clever way.

War Z didn't have any of that.

They probably had a working game engine, and art assets to go with it. Kind of like a mod...
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    even if they copied the game design exactly I dont see it selling as well. One it will referred to as a DayZ clone. Two the advantages of the Bohemia Engine is not the graphics but the size of the worlds it can run in stable conditions.

Wow, did someone just used "DayZ" and "stable" in one phrase?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    nope, i don't like it at all.

i'll stick with Day Z.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not Dayz Arma 2 has never been solid stable especially mods. But I mean Chernarus is 225km i think which is about 139 miles. I don't know any game who throws that much around for a FPS? I could be wrong?

Yep that's pretty much the only feature that keeps people interested, because almost everything else is horrible, and that's not DayZ fault, just bad arma2 legacy. The fact that Rocket made it work at all is amazing.

Most of modern game engines have no problem rendering and processing big landmasses.
    I like this chart: http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/large-video-game-worlds2.jpg
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game looks pretty awesome imo. I was just saying to a friend yesterday "I hope someone takes Day Z and just builds a game around that", and viola! Day Z is interesting to me, but the visuals, the instability, etc all really discourage me from playing. On top of that, War Z has the "normal" mode, which sounds like it would be more of my cup of tea anyways. Bring on the beta
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Chernarus is approximately 16x16 kilometers.In Day..i mean WarZ they say the maps will be
    between 200km2 and 400km2(now i'm trying to find where i read this and i can't find it)in the best case the same territory as Arma3 main island which is 20x20 kilometers with the water and everything.Its not that much actualy. :)

Btw the game sound so similar to DayZ and what features people want from it.I found this to be verry strange coincidence. :D

EDIT:

WarZ Features list:
    • Big open worlds to explore between 200 to 400 square kilometers
    • Two modes of play: Normal and Hardcore
    • Combination of first-person and third-person perspectives
    • Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
    • Strong Role Playing Elements
    • Multiple playable characters with customizable features
    • Unique social elements, including bounties, help requests, trap setting, etc.
    • Safe settlements where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
    • Dozens of unique skills that can be learned and improved
    • Up to 250 players per game server
    • New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
    • Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
    • Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
    • Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I love the urban and forest screenshots, hopefully it has some good matchmaking and server lists and ill get it
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    I love the urban and forest screenshots, hopefully it has some good matchmaking and server lists and ill get it

matchmaking in survival MMO-game like DayZ?
    where's fun in this?! :D
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I posted that before I realized it was an MMO :P

I figured itd be a DayZ with higher player count
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like it could be a pretty solid upgrade to DayZ to me. While I've enjoyed DayZ a lot, there's a lot that could be improved and this looks just like what I'm interested in playing. It seems a lot more like a game and less like a punishing simulation which I'm also interested in.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Up to 250 players per game server <- This scares me, tbh.
    One of the most important features in DayZ (at least for me) is the fact that only up to 50 people can be on the same map at any moment. It really emphasize the feeling of being alone and surrounded by zombies. Meeting another survivor is and should always be something special. I really don't want to play a Zombie apocalypse game where I can bump into a different person every 5 seconds... That's just dumb.

I really want to believe into this game, but the thing is : Rocket doesn't need to make money, they do... Which means they will make it more approachable, more friendly, less punishing. (i.e Not loosing your gear when you die in normal. Really? Why would I fucking care then...). Game developers still don't get it. Dayz is the leaving proof that a lot of people want something else, something more hardcore, meaningful and unforgiving.

I'm afraid that WarZ won't be able to deliver that for the economic reasons that we all know.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Renaud, you can play Hardcore more? we should probably wait for game-play, or some more information before we throw the "Not gonna be worth it" "Not going to be better than DayZ" stuff. Up to 250 players doesn't mean that every server will have that many, I'm sure there would be smaller ones. We'll see I don't think anybody should be pissed yet.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Of course aajohnny and don't get me wrong, I really want them to succeed and deliver what we have always been waiting for when it comes to a Zombie apocalypse MMO. I'm just concerned by the economic reality that they will face at launch and the potential concessions that they will have to make to please as many people as possible. A MMO who wants to be successful can't really afford unfair player death and/or lose. One the other hand, this is exactly for this reason that I keep going back to DayZ, so who knows :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

Z is for... Zombie.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    @Renaud
    Remember the difference in map size as well (according to Hristo Rusanov): DayZ got 16x16 kilometers. WarZ will be between 200km2 and 400km2, so you might still be running around for hours without meeting anyone.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Googling tells me;

"Chernarus is 225 km2"

But hey, googling is hard, right?
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Ooopps my mistake its 15km height and 15km width which is 225km2.So in best scenario WarZ map will be 20x20km which is 400km2 as the same as Arma3 island if i remmember it right and its not that much big than Chernarus and this will include all ocean and stuff that are impassable.So 250 players in that teritory will be too much in my opinion.I also have that feeling that the game will be arcade version of dayZ without cool weapon balistics and all the crazy simulation side.And to me didnt look realistic at all.This force me to think it wont have that level of immersion that DayZ have and for me this is the major selling point.If they use Arma3 engine and remove all of the nasty bugs and server ussues DayZ will destroy this game...atlest from graphics stand point.

btw they use 225km2 because sound more epic :D

Soory for my crappy english.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just remember everyone, regardless of how this game goes or is received....it's still just practice for the real thing when it comes...:)
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    katana wrote: »
    Just remember everyone, regardless of how this game goes or is received....it's still just practice for the real thing when it comes...:)

I sometimes find myself looking forward to a real zombie apocalypse since it's so much fun with friends online :p
    But then with my luck I'll probably be the first infected, and real life has no respawn :(

As for War Z, look interesting, but I wonder how fun it'll be as an mmo. We'll just wait and see, until then we have Day Z to keep us busy :D
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    We'll see I don't think anybody should be pissed yet.

Welcome to the internet :p
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Saw this yesterday. It looks interesting. But...

Comparisons between WarZ and DayZ are going to be incessant. Mine is that I like that DayZ is built on a simulator. WarZ looks and sounds a little too gamey to be occupied by the same kind of audience.

And it's funny that I generally go on DayZ servers with less people playing, because they can potentially ruin the experience. I've found the sweet spot to be a cap of 25. And WarZ is touting 10x more players.

Stop turning things to 11 for arbitrary reasons, devs!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    If they really want people to love the game, they need to give them the option to make their own dedicated servers with their own rules (like player count). :)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Saw this yesterday. It looks interesting. But...

Comparisons between WarZ and DayZ are going to be incessant. Mine is that I like that DayZ is built on a simulator. WarZ looks and sounds a little too gamey to be occupied by the same kind of audience.

And it's funny that I generally go on DayZ servers with less people playing, because they can potentially ruin the experience. I've found the sweet spot to be a cap of 25. And WarZ is touting 10x more players.

Stop turning things to 11 for arbitrary reasons, devs!

Yea I look for servers with less than 20 myself for the same reason. Seems to work well.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    McGreed wrote: »
    If they really want people to love the game, they need to give them the option to make their own dedicated servers with their own rules (like player count). :)

On the Features list-
    • Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone else playing this? Add me on steam '9forsaken9angel9' if you want to play together :)
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Really loving this game! Got like 50 m4's and some random other stuff. Would reccomend it strongly though it is hard to get into the game.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I've read the game is riddled with hackers. APB was ripped apart and destroyed because of their inability to suppress hackers. Sucks this game might have the same problem.
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this game does have less hackers then Dayz but it is still pretty prevelant. My reccomendation, dont go to populated servers or hackers will be there.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/226700/

So this is on the steam store now. Screenshots looked good but in motion it looks atrocious. The animation is unforgivably bad. The gameplay looks jerky and floaty. Shame.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/226700/

So this is on the steam store now. Screenshots looked good but in motion it looks atrocious. The animation is unforgivably bad. The gameplay looks jerky and floaty. Shame.
    Yeah , but I've actually enjoyed the game a lot though...until I get beat to death by a flashlight :P
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Statement Withdrawn*
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    As in your account getting hacked all the time?, have they no server security?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Really steam is letting them do this? and isn't the game still in alpha?

j9Q3f.jpg?1
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Not the first time, when Shellshock 2 came out we looked at the info on steam and it listed a bunch of features from older design docs, I'm not sure if anything listed was actually in the game.