Home Technical Talk

Free Maya/max cgfx/fx Shader

Replies

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    there's a max version somewhere around the front page of this thread if i recall correctly

I've found the 3dsmax version made by CrazyButcher but this one is not using one texture per slot such the Brice one is doing. It's not as usefull for the workflow speed.

If somebody know why the Brice version do not work in max that will be really cool to share.

Thanks a lot.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    hi everyone
    cathodeus, glib: Cg and HLSL share most of their syntax (it's just a subset of C), but they are hooked to software using custom semantics, like the way to define a color picker or a slider. There's also a few difference concerning the world coordinates or the way tangent space is built. basically normal maps, cubemaps and stuff won't work out of the box, but it's just a matter of swizzling most of the time.

Beartraps you should look into using a cubemap or moving those sliders hehe. The other questions have been answered over and over in the previous pages (I estimate re-post as being 75% of this thread so I won't encourage this trend ;) )
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    I will add some features by cathodeus request and roll out a new max version soon.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys,

Just picked up version 4.0 to play around with Cubemaps and I was wondering if you can use the "vertical cross" layout cubemaps? The layout that works with ATIs CubeMapGen.

I tried pluging one of these maps in the EnvSampler slot but I'm getting a lot of black areas. So I'm thinking it doesn't work. Could I be doing something wrong here?
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi kodde.
    Sorry but you can only use DDS cubemaps. It's pretty easy if you have cubemapgen already, just use "Save CubeMap (.dds)" under "load Cube Cross", preferably after filtering :)
    I don't know about maya's support for HDR DDS nowadays (which is the only reason you might use cross instead of dds cube), but there used to be a .dll for that specific purpose, that unfortunately didn't worked with cubes at the time...
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Brice,

I just figured that out for myself and was just about to post it. CubeMapGen makes going from cross->dds or dds->cross very easily. Thanks though.

Loving your shader as usual.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I asked a while back regarding mutliple light sources being possible, and supposedly it is. How would I go about using this in Maya? There's only LightPosition1 slot with a corresponding LightColor1. How do I get a 2, 3, etc? Do i edit the CGFX file perhaps?

Pretty please share your jedi mind tricks with me as well. Thanks.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys,

I wanted to make some game model that would make good use of cube map for reflections. So I decided to start working on a samurai katana where the blade would be the perfect candidate.

What I'm curious about is if its possible to mask or in any other way alter the effect of the cubemap reflections with this shader?

What I'm after is this kind of effect where the area near the blade edge has more blurred (unsharp reflections) and the rest of the blade has very crisp mirror like reflections.

Example of what I mean
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Never mind, I will settle for using the SpecularSampler slot for achieving what I'm after :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/nXnF4WPS6VQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Offline / Send Message
    SpecularPowerSampler is what you're looking for. The topic of blurry cubemap has been covered several times in the thread i think. (check the 2nd from the left: http://www.mentalwarp.com/~moob/show/shaders/GenericBRDF/shaderGeneric01.jpg)
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for replying Brice.

The only thing I found on reflections was the Reflection Blur Factor, which is just a float value for the entire object. I wanted to control the blurred amount on different areas of the model.

I tried messing about with the SpecularPowerSampler before but I'll give it a go again.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    just wanteed to stop by and say thanks for making this awesome shader :)

KEDPirate_017.jpg