Home Technical Talk

zbrush into max

There is soooo many tutorials on how to get started in zbrush and not enough about how to get out of it!.

THIS IS FOR A SHORT FILM<<<

I have done a lizard mesh in max then imported it into zbrush. I used 6 subdivisions and added heaps of detail. now the question I have is.... how do I get this zbrush detail into max model so I can animate it and render it out!

I followed this youtube tutorial on how to get a displacement map out of zbrush and into max. I did it but it just makes my lizard model look like a rainbow.

I i dont even know how to render out an image in zbrush and the darn print screen btn doesnt work. sigh

I know this is suppose to be easy but Im wasting sooo much time over it. I hopw someone know what the heck im talking about.

Replies

• Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    You wanna look into Displacement maps if you plan to animate.
  • vcool
    If you want to simply get your sculpt into Max you could try exporting your Tool as an OBJ and importing into Max at default settings. I know what A LOT of people have issues with this, but it works flawlessly for me.

Also if I export from Max, I just export as an OBJ at default settings and everything works fine.

If you plan on doing this, I suggest you first snap the model to an axis (press shift while rotating). I never manage to prodict the orientation the model is going to be at, but at least when it's snapped to an axis I can always rotate by 90 degrees in Max.

Disregard this post if I misunderstood what you wanted.
  • vincentgordon
    okay. I just spent hours trying to figure out how to do displacement maps. finally works. any of you know how to use and export polypaint feature in zbrush into max? I cant find anything on the subject about exporting it.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You can't export it as vertexcolour (which is basically what it is) - the only way to get polypainting out at the moment is baking the colour to a texture - if your lowest subdivision is already UV-mapped then this should be easy, just use Col->Txr button in the Texture palette.
    If not UV'd then you'd need to either import a UV-mapped version of your lowest subdivision, or use the AUV or GUVTiles buttons.