Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo III house - Handpainting practice

Hi there!

I thought I should give handpainting a try. So its just confirmed that I love this! I can do this all day long every day.

Planning to land on around 3500 tris for this, and Ive set the texture size to about 2x1024 diffuse and alpha. Quite early stage atm, just started today.

Also, most of the stuff is just blocked in and not at all optimized!

Anything you like? Dislike? Just shout!

2_1.jpg
2-3.jpg

Concept from blizzard:

env-blizzcon09-19.jpg

Ciao!

Replies

• eric.
    Almost forgot my flats. Here you go. Size is not final and obviously I got more space left in them for other stuff :)

carpets_1copy.jpg
    wooden_thing_1copy.jpg
  • Unleashed
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    looks like lut gholein, coming along nicely
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Lets see some spec!

Other than that your 2d texture work is really solid :D, great start.

Some colored lighting, and maybe some champfers here and there might help kick this up a notch too.
  • eric.
    Thanks guys! So Diablo 3 is using specular? I cant really tell from the screenshots. If they are I will add spec also.

@crazyfingers: by champfers you mean bevels, right? 3Ds max = champfer, maya = bevel.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm almost positive diablo III is using specs with all the crazy lighting effects they have going on in that game.
  • AtlusZMH
    Looks great so far :D are you planning on going back to beat up some of your textures at the end?

Looks a little clean for a diablo model imo :)

I am jealous of your modeling haha, im not too amazing at low-poly stuff yet
  • Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    I'm liking this, the carpets look great so far. keep it up. To be nit-picky the wooden planks seem just a hair too wide.
  • eric.
    Atlus: Thanks man! Yeah, just scrolled through a bunch of screenshots and noticed that I went way to bright on atleast the wood and its pattern (doesnt know the english name for it :)) and also rough it up a little. And about the modeling; this is almost as simple as it gets imo. If you know the high poly part you should have no trouble at all to create something like this :)

Rory_M: Thanks! I really enjoyed making those carpets, glad you liked them :) And you are absolutly right about the planks. Im gonna take them a little furter tomorrow, maybe seperate some of them a bit or something.

And as I was saying, I was looking at alot of screenshots, I wasnt able to see any specular. If there is specular added to stuff they are sertenly really subtle. I think most of what may look like specular is just shader effects and lightning. Ill wait with the spec anyway :)

Anyone who can confirm if there is spec or not? Would be awesome!

Updates tomorrow!
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I love that wood texture, very nice work.
  • Sirdelita
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    So far so good! Wood looks great!!! Can't wait to see this finished! Did you follow a tutorial or anything, cause I would love to learn!
  • bounchfx
    love it so far, my only crit if you're curious would be that the rings in the rug are too dark I think, they drop off basically all the way to black...
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks like a great start. one or two things feel slightly chunkier in the concept, just something to keep an eye on. look forward to the rest!
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, checked online and couldn't find any specifics if diablo III did or didn't have spec maps. But just gauging from screens online they look like they have spec, or at the very least have spec baked into the diffuse map.

diablo-iii-1-thumb.jpg

Look how shiny the rock looks in lit areas against unlit areas, you only really get that effect with spec maps. Same goes for the skeletons, so i'm thinking they're in. But again, i'm not 100% sure!
  • eric.
    skylebones: Thanks!

Sirdelita:
    Whoa, thanks man. I dont have any tutorial for the wood, but I can probably make a short movie tutorial when I make the next wood texture if you like :)

bounchfx:
    Thanks man! Yeah, youre probably right about the carpet, Ill look in to that later!

rooster: Thanks! Yeah, I noticed that and also went through like every single screenshot of the game. Ill keep that in mind for sure :)

crazyfingers: Im still not sure about the spec. I also searched alot but couldnt find anything about it. I think, not sure though, that they use bloom or something similar to brighten up the brightest parts of the texture, like a fake specular. Thanks for taking your time hehe

All these kind words makes me really wanna finish this now :) Hope to get it atleast almost finished this weekend. We'll see!

A really tiny update on the wood. Made it a bit more rough and tried to match the color a bit better. (the color is always easy to change later)

3_1.jpg

Hope you like!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Ahh its looking very cute! I must chew on those planks. :3

Wow this makes me want to make some environments too :<

Can't wait to see it all finished! :D
  • Ben Apuna
    Great job so far, nice carpet textures.

Is this supposed to be a desert scene? If so your wood should look a lot more sun bleached, maybe a bit more splintery too.

I also suggest deviating from the concept a bit by adding some more stuff down by the barrels maybe some sacks of grain or some rolled up carpets standing against the wall.

When you get to the ground and other stuff it might be nice to add a bit of foliage to the scene even though it's not in the concept. A palm tree or dried up dead tree might be cool. Some tufts of grass sticking out of the ground to help conceal the edge of the building.
  • rihotzu
    hey you are doing a nice job!, keep going I want to see more updates :D
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Looking very very nice, I can tell this will be a strong piece, and I honestly can't wait :)
  • eric.
    Anuxinamoon: Haha thanks man. Go chew those planks!

Ben Apuna:
    Hey, thanks for the feedback! I was actually planning on adding foliage and maybe some more props or something :) Nice idea with the rolled up carpets, now thats a given!

rihotzu:
    Thanks man!

JasonLavoie:
    Thank, Ill do my best to update more :)

So this update was a disappointment atleast for me. I had a really hard time to decide how to texture the building itself. Obviously its not even close to done ^^ I just slapped on some paint (not at all adjusted colorwise). The building will have one 1024 diffuse. And I made the small wooden pieces pointing out of the building. Again I looked at screenshots and apparently they are square shaped in the game, so I went with that :)

Way more updates tomorrow, thats a promise to myself(slacker) atleast :)

4_2.jpg
    4_1.jpg
    4-2.jpg

Hope theres something you enjoy!
  • Mark Dygert
    Looking really good you're off to a great start! This is shaping up to be a great piece.

Crits:
    - I think the planks are too segregated and by that I mean the lines separating them are too straight and uniform. In the concept the edges are kind of rough and the gaps are uneven and they are worn and warped together in places.

Hope you don't mind but I did a rough paint over,
    it needs to be refined a lot more and I'm sure someone with more skill could illustrate the point better but you get what ya get =P

I also think emphasizing the gaps with highlights and shadows will help boost their readability from a distance.
  • vj_box
    Coming along nicely Eric!
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Really cool concept and great start. I'm not an expert on hand painted textures, but i really like the detail/contrast Vig added in that rough paint over. One reason I like it is that its ROUGH. It makes the wood look old/worn and have more character. Your wood and walls look very clean compared to your cool gritty mats. Looking forward to seeing some progress, really inspiring me to try something like this myself.
  • Proxzee
    You should switch up your panting brushes if you really want that painted texture look. Use dual brush, combined with something that feels more like paint instead of air brush. Also paint with a slightly wider value range on the textures, so that we can really see the painting.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    At the end of this trailer, it looks like the giant monster they fight has some specular on its claws and other metal parts along with painted highlights, but I didn't notice any spec on environment models through the entire thing. If they use spec, it's very subtle.

I agree with Vig about the boards. They may not need as strong of highlights on the edges like he painted, but the general effect is still really good.
  • commander_keen
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    I would be very surprised if they didnt use both spec and normals.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I would be very surprised if they didnt use both spec and normals.

Take a look at some of the high-res gameplay footage or screenshots on the website; it's pretty obvious that the textures are all hand painted with most of the lighting painted in.
  • eric.
    Wow, thanks everyone!

Vig: Thanks, I think that paintover was really helpful! Some really helpful feedback :)

vj_box:
    Thanks man!

spahr:
    Thanks! Im trying to make it more rough all the time, it might be a bit rougher in the end when I can see the whole thing textured and then Ill go in and change some colors and stuff like that.

Proxzee: Yeah well. Im using quite alot of brushes already. But mostly the round one :)

Swizzle: Thanks man. Yeah, I actually dont believe they use any spec on the environment. Maybe on bigger, more unique stuff.

commander_keen:
    I really think the effect is really neat when they dont use any normal or spec. Also more computer friendly for those who doesnt have a fast/good cpu. A really smart move imo.

Okay. So I took some time and made a tutorial of my wood texturing and some small tricks I use.

Planky tutorial. Hope its useful for someone :)

tutorial.gif

Mini update.

5-2.jpg
  • AtlusZMH
    I'm diggin that tutorial! Thanks a ton (i just got done painting a few wooden things for the first time a few days ago ;))

Its lookin good still, i am dyin to see you start working on that building more!

And i agree that you should maybe add a few small props along the base of the building to break up the harsh line with the ground. Depending on how it's textured, it could be an eye-sore :x
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Great workflow, I dig the wood style. Keep it up.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    If I were you, I'd play around a bit different hues for different brightnesses. For example, JFletcher always adds a ton of blue to the darker values, to great effect. Don't overdo it, of course, but I think it can add a very nice painterly feel.
  • eric.
    Thanks alot guys!

And Zwebbie, you are totally right. I always add some blue hues when I am painting other stuff so why not here :) Thanks.

A small update. Just started on the building itself.

5_1.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    It's coming along :)! I suggest grunging up the base of the house a bit more. Also, the mats on top of the house are too nicely placed. Make their placement more randomized and it would give a sense of the house being used / inhabited / abandoned.
  • eric.
    Thanks man. Yeah, everything is to nicely placed, really easy to adjust later on :)

And heres last update for today, with some grunged up walls. Not even close to finished, but its a start :)

Enjoy!

5_2.jpg
  • praxedes
    this looks soooo like set of orc houses i built in foamboard for a GW battle table a few years back- loving the look, filled me with nostalgia :)

Look forward to seeing the end result (strangely makes me think of Raiders of the Lost Ark too- where's the date-eating monkey Nazi?)

~P~
  • Chclve
    Looks really nice. Keep it up!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh its coming along nicely! If you add darker dirt at the bottom of the wall and lighten it up top it could do something, perhaps.

Nice plank tutorial too :D
  • eric.
    Thanks alot guys!

I made something that is suppose to look like rocks. Looks like crap imo. Just slapped on some colors and textures, just a base.

As you can see, the stone mesh is not that optimized yes.

Got any suggestions? Should I make every stone into a separate mesh? Skip the alpha?

6.jpg
  • Stoy
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy polycounter lvl 13
    Looks horrible, man.

Looks great, man. I like the rock addition and the cracks in the wall. Although the rocks in the corner look really flat, but that might be lighting.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    i think what the rocks lack most is the shape. it just don't look like rocks, more like random copied around blobs :)
    i think if you redo the modeling part of them and get some nice references it'll look much better automatically.
    still, why does it need to be rocks ? if i should build a house there, i shall better get rid of the rocks, as good as possible. the transition should be more vibrant, i guess. you don't build house against flat rocks, i think. i'd much prefer much more tinier "rocks/stone pieces" along the house borders.

apart from these points, i think overall it looks very nice !
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Rocks are off, for lighting as well as level of detail compared to the rest of the textures (it's still wip tho, gotcha) ;)

On some, you wonder how they stand on the wall not falling. Looks like they are glued.
  • eric.
    Thanks guys :)

I threw away those crappy stones. Im gonna give it a new try next time.
    Made some adjustments and stuff.

6_1.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Just found this thread, im loving this so far!

Im a real fan of the diablo 3 / WoW painted art styles, and this is coming out really nicely.

The rocks were nice, but they threw off the colors, maybe they should be more yellow-ish and "part" of the wall instead of up against it :)

the wood looks really nice, although maybe it could use some color differences per plank, for instance, if you dont mind the paintover:

woodgif.gif

:)
  • mLichy
    Yeah, I agree with the wood variation. Looking great so far though.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    As of now, it seems nothing is being mirrored?
    Thanks for the mini tutorial <3
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher wrote: »
    Just found this thread, im loving this so far!

Im a real fan of the diablo 3 / WoW painted art styles, and this is coming out really nicely.

The rocks were nice, but they threw off the colors, maybe they should be more yellow-ish and "part" of the wall instead of up against it :)

the wood looks really nice, although maybe it could use some color differences per plank, for instance, if you dont mind the paintover:

woodgif.gif

:)

Ahh the paintover is really good. Very valuable to see it rather than have it explained :D

Totally agree with Jfletchers comments aswell. The whole things definitely could use some colour variations to help bring out the big shapes easier.

Keep up the good work!

Actually you know what you could do with the rocks? Just paint some rocks onto a plane, then when you are done with the texture, just pump out some of the shapes using some cuts and vert pushing. I find that's much easier for me when making rocky walls. Paint the textures first and build the model off that :)
  • eric.
    JFletcher: Thanks alot man! I really like your style and I really appreciate the paintover, it really made a difference! I didnt go as saturated as you though. And the rocks, Im gonna throw them directly on the wall texture instead, if there isnt another way to blend it in.

mLichy:
    Thanks man :)

butt_sahib: There is some mirroring going on, but Im focusing on making the texture really tight first. After that Im sure Im gonna move around stuff and mirror/tile some.

Anuxinamoon: Thanks alot! Yeah, Im gonna try your rock theory, but I will, as I wrote above, paint the rocks directly on the wall texture :)

Heres the planks. Starting to feel that I can move away from these planks for a while and start with all the other stuff :)

7-1.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Looking a lot better and I agree time to move on to other things. =)

Personally I don't like to get too caught up in putting a lot of polish on things until close to the end. I do this for a few reasons.

1) Speed and ease of detail application.
    It's easier to remember brush settings and apply the same refining techniques to a bunch of pieces in passes instead of trying to remember and recreate those methods a few hours or days later. It's good to take notes, save brushes, create pallets but its still easier to give everything the same pass than constantly switching tools.

2) Overall quality.
    If you're working in production there's a chance you won't have time to bring the pieces your working on last, up to the level of the pieces you first worked on. With passes you might not get a chance to do one final pass and really sew it all together but at least all parts are at stage 4, instead of some stuck at 1, others at 8 and the majority at 3.

3) Detail what matters.
    It's easy to stare at a UV'ed texture and want to detail everything but then when you put it all together you find you detailed a lot of stuff that really didn't need to be.

It's coming along nicely keep pluggin away at it. I'm glad you're sharing methods and techniques and open to ideas, that's a great attitude to have, makes the threads useful to a lot of people too!

I love it when polycount works like it should!
  • Marnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    I'm lovin' your wood...

>_>

<_<

^_~
  • mLichy
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing i'd try is an ambient occlusion bake. Load that into photoshop and use it as a layer to produce some nice colored shadows with layering affects. Invert it and do some highlights. Heck you could even take it further and start touching those layers up with smears, brush strokes and stuff. Just a thought...