Home General Discussion

Any Matthew Good fans out there?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
If so... please check out his new album (streaming right now) "Vancouver" at - http://www.matthewgood.org/wp-content/themes/vancouver/vc/player.php

One of my (If not THE) favourite musicians of all time, just trying to spread the love :)

NAPPLES NAPPLES NAPPLES!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh awesome! Yes, I am a huge Matthew Good fan (not many people have heard of him here in the UK), I have all his albums so far.
    Totally didn't realise he was releasing a new one though, thanks for the heads up! :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hadnt heard of him before, glad you introduced me to him :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhh mop it makes me so happy to hear that man, you just went up on my "Jay's cool list" of cool... NICE!

What do you think so far?

And yesss GED!! Must spread the love man, Canadian rock.. RAWKS!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Given it a couple of spins so far, sounds pretty good - although I don't really hear anything quite as catchy as from earlier albums, it's all solid stuff.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Initial thoughts after the first couple tracks: it's better than Hospital Music.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man... personally for me this album is on a whole other level, you can really feel he was in a good space when he was writing this music (from what I get out of it anyways). He keeps on re-working his sound, and its like he harnessed the energy from Matthew Good Band, with the brilliance of Matthew Good...

I've also noticed a lot of re-occuring melodies from past albums coming onto this one, but executed much better, makes me think this was the album where he could finally get everything out the way he wanted... again, hand in hand with the "being in a good space" comment. To me this shows he has reached a whole new level as a musician and artist in general... must be a great feeling.

This is why I love music.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    JasonLavoie: Sounds pretty good man! I have never heard him before (that I know of) so thanks for posting this.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys listen to music when you work on 3d art? I never do, but I'm thinking I should really start.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Have all of his albums so far, thanks for the link:) Awesome stuff!!

Spark
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad we have people on the site who listens to him, makes me very happy :)

Brad - Yes, I listen to music all the time when I'm working on art, it seems to juice me up when things are feeling a bit bland... the side effect to that is after so long, I need to take a break from the art and just play some guitar, it helps to balance everything I find.

Can't really do that in a studio though... unless others don't mind, ha ha :P
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    One of my favourites to listen to in a mellow mood (and with Strapping Young Lad for the less mellow) it's neat how many great musicians come out of Vancity :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    kary: Check out Devin Townsend's new album, Ki, if you haven't already. It's awesome. Nice and chilled with a few heavy bits here and there.
    He said somewhere in an interview (or on a blog) that he's been working on about 70 new tracks for the past 2 years, and he's planning to release them as a sequence of 4 themed albums this year. Ki was the first and apparently the 2nd one is nearly ready. I hope he finishes all 4 this year!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I had no idea he had a new album out! Thanks for that!

(Pretty killer album too)

Hello Time Bomb was my favorite song of his.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23nfW7Q2J3g[/ame]

His video for 'Strange Days' is one of my favorites ever made.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUdDfgnTBXU[/ame]
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perna, whatever fragments of the small relationship we had has now been killed, I bid you good day sir!!!!!

Jac, listen to Fought to Fight it... its basically Hello Time Bomb 2.0, so crazy awesome!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    ...about 70 new tracks for the past 2 years, and he's planning to release them as a sequence of 4 themed albums this year. Ki was the first and apparently the 2nd one is nearly ready. I hope he finishes all 4 this year!

Damn I had no idea, that's awesome news :D I've been a huge Devin fan since I heard his guitar work on the Hardwired and Millenium albums by front line assembly. 70 tracks in one year should be an awesome overdose.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13