Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rock man Zero

Well, since Im on this whole megaman trip lately I decided to do a model.
I did the buster to begin with and decided the rest would be easy. Its all based off an action figure of zero so its a little weird looking. Hes right over 5 k but I might beef it up to 10 k. Hes all basic mats since its an action figure, with the acception of the face, I mapped it to look like the toy and actually made a mechanical looking face for him too. I wanted to alpha the sword , but, I dont know how to do alphas. Still learning, be merciful. Crits welcome.
5,712 polies
6,120 Verts
ZeroBuster.jpg
ZeroBusterfront.jpg
zeroWIP.jpg
ZeroWip2.jpg
ZeroWip3.jpgzero.jpg
Zeroback.jpgzeroface.jpg
Zeromech.jpg
Clayzero.jpg
Clayzeroback.jpg
ZeroFacecopy.jpg

Replies

• stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    So, this is a nice start, but the way the textures are starting out is a slippery slope.

Way.
    Too.
    Much.
    Bevel.
    Emboss.

Or layer effects.

Seriously, get in there and paint that. You cannot tell me you could not have painted those same 3 colors your self! I'm not going to say "never use photoshop filters and tricks," but you need to be capable of making them not look like they were such.

Oh, hell.
    Never use photoshop filters or tricks! =P
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 same colors? I use the Bevel and emboss to save time. I didnt know Photoshop tools were the enemy lol. Ill remember its a no no. But why is it so bad?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the model looks really good but yeah Id have Im not so keen on the texture although its not too bad on the model itself. Photoshop effects are just a bit too generic and to anyone who has ever used photoshop they stand out like a sore thumb. Hand painting that detail in means that you would get something customised to the kind of texture and lighting that you are trying to describe and it would also look a little more unique. That said I still think there is a time and a place where photoshop effects are the best tool for the job, just not very often.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, thats what I was trying to say.WHy would I spend an extra 30 minutes shooting for the same result. But, in some instances the brush sets are sloppy to begin with and painting them in would ensure a cleaner look I guess.
  • revender
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm on board with stoofoo. If it takes "30 minutes" to get the same results hand painting then you need that experience to improve your painting.

I suggest using a more midtone background. As it is the the wireframe is far more appealing to look at than the textured shots. This is because the flat shading and solid dark colors of the model are made largely unreadable against the blinding white.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    hmmmm. I'm fairly certain this gives your work a very "amateur" look by using the photoshop filters. Like the others said, there's a time and place for them, but in this case, I'd stay away from it.

Take some time to actually explore the things you can do inside Photoshop, don't just settle with the "in your face" filters they got going on. You can really broaden your artistic horizon by doing so. If it's going to be your best friend for texturing, why not venture into the depths of it and see what it can do. Photoshop has at least 1 million ways to get the same thing done. I think it'll benefit you to explore the other 999,999 ways to get that bevel look. :)

If the brushes looks sloppy, then refine them to your liking. Make your own brushes even :)

All that aside, I think you should make the eyes smaller and try to give the face a more manga'ish look. All the reference pictures I've seen are manga'd up something fierce.

And where are the rest of the texture sheets? :poly103:
    I know it's supposed to be a toy, but you could still unwrap and texture it simply. If anything it'd be practice unwrapping! :D
    Saying using the basic materials to get a toy look just sounds like an excuse to not push the envelope of your artistic ability.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I do plan on texturing it but yes, im being lazy, But Hark tis a reference model and yae none more is required but, yeah IM gonna beef it up and texture it. Here the reference, I have the actual toy but this is the best pic I could fin, plus a scene i RENDERED.
    megaman_irregularhunter0.jpg
    ZeroAction.jpg
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    less attempts at rendering, more work on painting! Gogogogog canden! You can do it!
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your mom can do it
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Over it. HAVE A NICE DAY.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Light hearted humor is allowed in my threads for future reference.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    wow, this stuff looks like programmer art. its not so much the fact that you use bevel and emboss, i use it all the time, and its a decent way to do some simple lighting effects quickly its more the fact you don't know when to use it, and how to use the damn thing properly.. and those eyes.. jesus.. could you possibly spend any less time on them?
    blue with black outlines? at least put some fucking extra effects on the damn thing.
    you're the laziest, worst artist i've seen so far on polycount, get your fucking act together.
    whats with the damn mirroring? the featureless edges, the everything?
    how about you spend 5 more seconds on the texture next time?

spend some more fucking time with your shit, put some pride in it, or don't do art.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Instead of acting immaturely im gonna put it simpley. I dont come make threads and say this is the best work ive done, I dont post this stuff with the intention that you people will say wow thats amazing work. Ive seen the art on polycount, seriously im here for the community not the respect I dont expect you to love my work, and no douchebag that uv isnt the best I could do, Im the artist I know the eyes were lazy, but since the model is based off a cartoon I figured the best way to stay true would be to keep the outline eyes, so yes I do think I could do better, and I do expect you to tell me to. But if thats the best you could do with five minutes YOU should give up art. Although, those eyes are boss.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Instead of acting immaturely im gonna put it simpley. I dont come make threads and say this is the best work ive done, I dont post this stuff with the intention that you people will say wow thats amazing work. Ive seen the art on polycount, seriously im here for the community not the respect I dont expect you to love my work, and no douchebag that uv isnt the best I could do, Im the artist I know the eyes were lazy, but since the model is based off a cartoon I figured the best way to stay true would be to keep the outline eyes, so yes I do think I could do better, and I do expect you to tell me to. But if thats the best you could do with five minutes YOU should give up art. Although, those eyes are boss.

how about you go off and try to make this thing something that will wow the community, instead of trying to defend your poor and lazy work.
    here's how: spend 14 hours on the texture, and reference work.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will deja, I will. But I did not defend my work I actually insisted that it wasnt my best. I need to improve plain and simple, Lord knows I will. Ive heard someone tell me this is how things are, people will tell me if it sucks.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will deja, I will. But I did not defend my work I actually insisted that it wasnt my best. I need to improve plain and simple, Lord knows I will. Ive heard someone tell me this is how things are, people will tell me if it sucks.

sorry, its just that this work burned my eyes so badly i went on a blind rampage.

well how about this then: is it game art, or render art? are you going for a toy look or a cartoon look?

if game art, you need to get rid of all those extra little details that doesn't improve the overall silhouette and normal map them instead.

if hipoly render art, you need to get rid off all those jagged edges, they look really ugly,
    and get some GI, and more lights with different colours in there.
    and also don't use those horrid omni shadow maps.
    and in both cases, for the toy look, you need to increase gloss.
    and if you absolutely have to use the scanline renderer, don't use the blinn material, use
    the raytrace one, there's no contrast in the blinn material.

it looks like this one:
    Zero_mmx.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    And i think i see some 5 or more sided polygons on the head, the shoes and in every round hole in the model.

And it doesn´t remind me of Zero, the Zero i know looks like the one on dejawolf´s picture
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i think the prob here is a beginer (you) posted a not so good piece of work. a skilled tallented artist posted telling you something you were doing wrong, and you were a total dick and disregarded it totaly, then he posted again encouraging you to actualy "try" and you again were a total dick.. even busting out a mom joke..

if you actualy want to learn to do this then you need to get off what ever retard horse you are riding, and shut up and listen to people that know what they are talking about. pheh,

specter theres really nothing wrong with 5 sided polys on game art, unless the invisible edges are all fucked.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    specter theres really nothing wrong with 5 sided polys on game art, unless the invisible edges are all fucked.

You are right if he doesn´t want to put it in a 3d engine, but if he wanted to do so it would be better for performance, because the engine doesn´t have to triangulate the n-sided polys.

Correct me if i´m wrong ;)
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    Its not just that i think most engines try to triangulate it for you.. sometimes really messing up the mesh and u get funky poly's made that stick out from the model :o (hard to explain)

Anyway i dont think its right when you dont put much effort or time on a model then ask for feedback... put more effort in and you will get proper feedback, untill then its not right to ask for some help imo.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The advice you gave, my little brother also gave, I didnt disregard it children Im just not done implementing it.
  • EviLCHiMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol man I enjoy your attitude about this. Your model is definitely a start but as you said you didn't try. I'm interested in seeing some of your effort-constructed work. :thumbup:
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    calling people children now? this isnt the way to accept advice
    tone down that sig fella.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I thought this was a joke thread after i read your responses.

So, mr. "future game designer"-
    Im open to tips Im always up for making myself better. Truth be told I dont know much about texturing or getting that "Real look". I cant rig yet and Im not good with organic models like humans etc.
    You don't sound so open to criticism with your responses in this thread, dude. And by your own admission you need the advice, so why are you getting so defensive?

You might be used to asspats on those other sites, but nobody here is gonna do that unless your art is eye popping. More importantly, nobody here is gonna take time out to help you if you throw a tantrum whenever someone says you could do something differently. If you want help you need to quit the insults, quit the excuses and listen to the advice being given. Actually trying your best might also be a plus, what do you think?

Also, i'm pretty confident that all the guys you are calling children are older than you, and for someone of your age it's a pretty immature remark.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not the criticism and points of advice that are making me edgy, its the guttermouth insults that are putting in a defensive stance, you guys say what you want but your not acting like adults or professionals. There are a few guys that gave advice and conversed about the improvements that need to made without insults or cutting me as a person down. Lol what do yall want me to say "Yesa masta Ill do that right nah". Gimme some time to make some improvements for heavens sake.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Dude, your art blows, you're religious, can't take critisicm, and you're loud mouthed. You've made everyone hate you with a single post and apparently you're racist to boot.

You're my new favorite polycounter :D
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know compared to the work you guys do, mine is garbage and I need to improve. But I in no way put your advice in the garbage. In fact here are some of the things I said :
    I didnt know Photoshop tools were the enemy lol. Ill remember its a no no.

But, in some instances the brush sets are sloppy to begin with and painting them in would ensure a cleaner look I guess.

Well, I do plan on texturing it but yes, im being lazy
    I dont come make threads and say this is the best work ive done
    , I dont post this stuff with the intention that you people will say wow thats amazing work.

So I lets start fresh, since I tried to keep it that way, and give this newb some advice so he can develop his skills and put you guys out of business. IM sorry my artwork burned your retinas I have no insurance youll have to pay for medical yourself.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    best advice i can give right now is... "what would jesus do?"

nah,really... maybe you should just spend a while checking out old post and getting a feel for how other artist are doing their work. thats how I learned, and it doesn't require you to post threads and act like an ass.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your right, I just need the practice in many areas (UV mapping detail, model quality) in every area really. Ill be taking my bachelor game course in Austin starting next year, so Ill be better eventually, But Ill still be a smart ass. Like I said this isnt my best. If any one still cares Im putting up a hammer I did recently with actual mapping, that piece feel free to tear to pieces. Be forwarned the uvs arent packed.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Canden, you were given a warning about how you handle yourself within your own thread (and within Polycount in general).

When people take the time to give some respect through a decent, helpful, critique if your response isn't anything but the same level of respect then you're not going to go very far. And you're certainly going to find Polycount isn't for you/you're no good for Polycount.

Read the FAQ. You're new here so you were given a warning but the "Don't be a dick!" section of the FAQ is for guys wanting to learn with the attitude you have.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spec i've never had any problems in my years making games with 5 sided polys (unless you are mesh smoothing then they could cause problems) but as long as the invisible edges are not doing dumb things it should all be fine, and besides the 5 sided polys are by far the least of this chaps problems.

one thing i had to learn when i started here at polycount is that the part of an artist that has to improve first is his skin, without thick skin you will soon get offended angry and pissed off at people calling your work poop. this is a seriously imatuer / imatuerly serious forum, meaning while people may act imatuer here we are all serious about this field of art. theres little ass kissing here unless you deserve it. this is not a paid school where the teachers have to be nice and polite and not have sex with students. this is a comunity where everyone teaches and we all have sex with students. you can learn a lot here, but it requires listening to what you NEED to hear, and not what you want to hear.

as far as the statement about photoshop tools being the enemy, anytime someone can look at your work and just see the bevel emboss effect, or the cloud filter, or a pshop lensflare. then it is the enemy. I use effects all the time, but even with them you have to do some leg work to make it work.

you can stop this now, even if you dont instantly do what people sugest, at least consider it, and do not confront them.

here is some tips on translating common polycount crits into crits you may can use

polycount crit: man that things legs fucked up and his ankle looks like a monkeys ass
    decoded: theres something wrong with that leg and especialy ankle, maybe you should check some leg/ankle refference, Good luck!

so in short, straighten up man, this place can get you on the road to being a kick ass artist, but not if you fight against it.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    After Rhinokey's post I almost want to see a full-on polycount crit translation guide :)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Ill be taking my bachelor game course in Austin starting next year, so Ill be better eventually

90% of what i've learned were from tutorials, practice, and feedback/help from Polycount. Definitely not school. No school can make you an awesome artist.
    But Ill still be a smart ass.

Nobody likes to work with smart asses, so don't expect it's gonna happen.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan wrote: »
    90% of what i've learned were from tutorials, practice, and feedback/help from Polycount. Definitely not school. No school can make you an awesome artist.

Decoded: While a school can help you achieve your goals, they are not an instant fix. you will need to utilize a variety of sources in order to improve such as these forums, online tutorials and most importantly lots of practice

Nobody likes to work with smart asses, so don't expect it's gonna happen.

Decoded: nobody likes to work with smart asses, being a smart is bad and can cost you job oportunities

fixed
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    you're religious

this is relevant, faith automatically makes you a bad person who will never succeed at anything or make any friends
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    this is relevant, faith automatically makes you a bad person who will never succeed at anything or make any friends

its the truth you know. nobody likes bible-bashers.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    this is a comunity where everyone teaches and we all have sex with students.

I laughed then proceeded to fornicate.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "“Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Mark 11:24"

maybe you should pray more! Ignore what all these guys are telling you and follow that voice in your head (jesus).

Pro tip: Jesus loves bevel/emboss.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you honestly think school is gonna make you awesome? no.
    its practice, patience, perseverence.
    reading books about art isnt' gonna make you an artist.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here I'll give a crit:

I think if you learned to paint textures it would help a lot. Start Black and White and just paint in the shadows, highlights, etc. as if the light was coming from straight overhead.

DO NOT USE BEVEL/EMBOSS. I know, when you're starting out it feels like a powerful tool. After you paint textures for a while, you'll figure out why it's lame though. It's kind of hard to explain concisely in a crit. But just know that if you use bevel/emboss people on here will know, and will say it sucks. That in itself is a good reason to not use it.

Goodjob on starting a thread. Bad job on taking crits.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    bounchfx wrote: »
    After Rhinokey's post I almost want to see a full-on polycount crit translation guide :)

I believe Rhinokey's post would translate something like this:

bitch niggaz be frontin', stuntin', gonna wind up with nothin'

check yoself foo

edit: OH TRANSLATING POLYCOUNT TO KIND WORDS, NOT KIND WORDS TO POLYCOUNT

CAPSLOCK
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    fixed

Thanks for the translation. That's exactly what I meant :thumbup:
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan wrote: »

too true, too true.

I'm a student myself going for my BA in game art design and I can tell you that in the 3 years I've been there, I've learned a lot... of the basics. Since getting here on polycount and checking out tutorials outside of class I've furthered my knowledge more here in a couple weeks that I usually do all quarter.

Why? Because in a class its 1 teacher to 20 or 30 students meeting once a week per class to get a 15 minute critique by that one teacher for something you've worked on all week.

In the meanwhile I come here during the week and can get feedback 24/7, as long as people are willing to reply. Some of the feedback is from noobs, some is from students, and others from people in the business.

That paper, or degree, won't get you or me a job, it wont get me knowledge beyond the classroom or anything else, it just means that you can finish what you start. I've known a lot of students that sit on aim, or flash games in class and they're going to regret it when the get into the industry missing out on the little tips they're supposed to be learning.

Lastly, If you finish something and it doesn't look like it could be in a current gen came, then there's more work to do. If you don't know where to go from there to get it looking amazing, that's why the polycount and other forums are here, so don't cast off that feedback when you get it.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Eh, school ain't all bad, really gets you on the ball and teaches you some fundamental stuff. Gives you some good work habits to boot.

If you come to the conclusion that it's totall BS at some point... congrats, you're now educated. A lot of the rest of the world is BS too.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, I'm glad I went, it helped me to get where I am no doubt. I'm just saying that the students that rely on the degree and don't actively seek new knowledge beyond the class wont make it that far.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the wheel in the sky keeps on troll'n \m/
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFC8sDTXlng[/ame]
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm scared to post my stuff once i have the privilege to do so :-P
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your right, Ive been going to ITT for 2.5 years and havent learned more at ITT than Ive learned on my own. Im looking forward to the course so I can ask questions to Teachers that actually know the answers, I had an animation teacher that Googled the answer before. Acc in austin is taught by the art leads from NCSOFT, Midway, Bioware etc so Ill be in a good class room environment.