Home General Discussion

Can someone help me please??....

Hi,
I'm working for about a year with Maya and I want to say
that it's a powerful program and you can do everything you want with it....
but it's kinda ''old'' ,too.... I'm 14 years old and I really like working on Maya but I'm afraid that the other programs like max or modo or c4d will have more power and more support from the people too-in the future- (of course)....
and one more thing....I love modeling more than anything else and everyone tells me that Maya is not good enough for this part of 3D....
What's your opinion guys??....

Replies

• Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    A number of things in Maya could use some updating. It's hardly an issue of being 'old' though--at least compared to the other programs. Max is just as old, older if you count 3d Studio maybe? Max could use some core updating too, it's just aged a little better. That, and when Autodesk bought Maya they apparently spent all their time adding the stupid viewcube stuff from Max rather than actually improving anything ¬_¬
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The program you use to make 3D models will ALWAYS just be the tool. Its up to you to make the most out of it.

Maya, Max, Modo, CD4, XSI, Blender, ECT. all have their ups and downs, but in the end, each one is capable of making great models.

With that said, I feel that Maya is a great place to start. If you are learning it now, keep on plugging and later the transition to another program will be much easier for you :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    lol OLD?

Id say maya is a hard app to start off with- I started with maya and found its feature list FAR too expansive for the beginner mind set.

I havent used anything else, but max is easy to grasp. It can do everything you would want it to, and the way it presents its self is easy(er) to digest.

The way Ive heard it to be broken down, is maya seems to be WAY better for animation and FX, where as max seems to be the app for the modeler.

and I havent used modo, but that app is suppoed to be extremly bad ass for pushin polies.
    might give it a go with all this free time I`ve stumbled upon:P
  • 00Zero
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Don't expect any innovation in Maya now Autodesk own the biggest 3 3D applications.
  • ariti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you are all right..I know that I'll have to leave from Maya some day in the future and that's pretty sad for me at least ....but just like you said if you know how to model 3Ds then it doesn't matter on which program you'll do your job..
    Thank you all very much for your advices....
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Plenty of big studios use Maya. I was a Max user for a long while until I joined a studio that uses Maya so I adapted. I use Maya at home too now.

Plenty of fantastic artists do fantastic work in Maya too. It's just tools, none are perfect.

I dont think the software you use should affect your creative growth or your chance of employment in the future. You just need to be flexible.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    If you think Maya is old, max has to be it's grampy. They are are both great, but yeah it's be nice for a fundemental update on packages wig hanged that reflect current methods of production, and even take it a step further to make it a lot more artist friendly.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    You're young and niave... can we switch?

Anyway, striaght up, you're seeing these other programs with new interfaces and you think it's hot stuff, you're like a fish attracted to shiny stuff, you don't know anything about it other than it's new and looks cool, but that must make it good. But that's it's all just gimmics. In the end Maya's fine, it's actually great for someone your age because it lets you try anything you want. If you can master maya you can move on to anything.

Don't get too serious yet, just play around and have fun. You should try some animations, find a rigged character model online, import it into maya, toy around with it, use the curves editor for animation, maybe even make a movie. Edit in your own voice and stuff. You can do that better in maya than any of those other programs.

You might find you like animation. If you got good at that at your age there's a good chance you'd be in the industry by the time you're 20. Almost all 3d animation is done in maya.
  • ariti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no i dont think that maya is old....just saying what i heard from soft image's and modo's users....
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Softimage is just as old as maya and max. XSI is just a revamped and improved version of Softimage|3D.

Maya is old in the way it works. No preview or interactivity on tools, can't handle much before it crashes.
    You need to know MEL to work with Maya to it's fullest.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah don't worry about what app you learn, if you like Maya then stay with it. Just be sure to learn the fundamentals of 3D, that way you can go over to any app you want to in the future. New apps are easy to learn once you understand what you are doing don't worry about being left behind or locked in or anything like that.

Maya is a great app to learn to get into the 3D industry, it's what I learned first. 4+ years from now when you are a god at 3D from all the learning you will be doing from now to then Maya will probably still be around, and it'll probably still be the standard in most animation studios.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    A program can be a tool, but don't forget that it's not the same to work with one tool, than with ONE TOOL.

Use the better for you, you are very very young, and you have enough time like to learn all packages lol
  • greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 17
    my take on 3d software is, unless you are working with a team through a specific pipeline forcing you to use a specific 3d program, you should train your skills and learn the ropes with whichever software makes all the non art things the less intrusive as possible.

especially if you are into modeling, I wouldn't stick to Maya. You are probably better of learning how to model with Silo or Modo. Modeling is mostly a set of practical rules, the rules remain the same no matter the 3d software.

And unless you are looking to apply for a job or working with a game pipeline, the time investment you put into learning Maya will not really pay off.