Home General Discussion

Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo is out

Replies

• flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    Lamont wrote: »
    It won't even be out here. So I gotta phone one home to the folks to mail it out.
    there is a place in Akiba called Games Hollywood,
    its on the ... right (I think, wrote left just a second ago), side of the big Sega arcade.

they import games from white-people-land so that we can play them here.
    I got Killzone2 like, 2 or 3 days after the release in EU/US.. if not even on the release date, cant remember..

http://www.gmh.jp/
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, many of us at work bought it. We had just seen Inglourious basterds and the subject came up and all four of us present had ordered it! :P
    Great reviews, congrats on making a stellar game, incredible feat for a new studio! I cant wait to get my copy!
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Hot damn this game is good! I got about 2.5 hours into it last night and it's great. The way they blend from combat to stealth to detection is really fun and the art is fantastic. It would have been nice to not have to rely on detective mode so much just because of how it affects how the environment is displayed. If it didn't throw a blue filter over everything I think the art would have been praised more but otherwise really good game so far.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't picked it up yet but definitely look forward to it... dunno if this is posted yet but Toys-R-Us has their lovely $20 gift card with purchase.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/23721/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-for-PS3-or-Xbox-360---20-Gift-Card-or-30-GC-for-Rewards-R-Us-members-at-Toys-R-Us-60

Apparently they also have a deal for PS3 games going on as well.
    THERE IS ALSO AN UNADVERTISED BUY ONE GET ONE HALF OFF ON PS3 GAMES!!!

if you buy 2 copies, you will get 2 x $20 gift cards.

first copy 59.99, second copy 29.99 = total $89.98 + $40 giftcard!!!

Goes all week.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    haha indeed please buy 2
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    delicious visuals in this game. I love the lighting, even though there are some areas with splotches of blue/orange light with no source, it just looks great.

I would say this is one of the prettiest games of this gen, and the storytelling via radio, background events and the joker on the screens is fantastic. dead baby jokes anyone!? awesome. the combat is much more challenging/complex than i thought and it takes some skill to really combo it up.

I would recommend this game to anyone regardless if they like batman or not. I think a couple dudes here worked on it right? if so post some work if you can :D
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i might find out at work if we are allowed to post work some time. I don't know yet though.
    I'll shout at Karl as well, he did a lot of props
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Just wanted to chime in and say, I played the demo on my xbox 360 and judging by the demo it's a truly great game. With the stealth elements of the game, there is actually replay value in just the demo, which says a lot I think. Great job guys!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Tried the demo, fun but not THAT amazing i think as its being described as :P It feels a bit like Splinter Cell at times with all those stealth elements.

I think the env art is a bit cliche at times with normalmaps just for sake of having them and not so polished generally :)
    The characters look nice, have the oldschool feeling to them.

Audio generally is really good.

But yeah seems really good, will propably get one when its not 50euro :S
  • ZeitgeistReview
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah!

I'm installing it to my 360 hdd currently... I like games more when it doesn't sound like a jet engine in the background.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I want this game!

:D
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guriamo polycounter lvl 17
    first game in 5 years I baught on launchday, should say everything.... just awesome :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, Just played the demo for 20 minutes and my faith in games has been a little restored.

Your Batman, its like you stepped right into the comic.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    First: Game is fun, I'll be buying the full version.

My criticism on the characters: I think the sculpting is really top notch, but I don't really like the shaders. Every object seems to have the same max shininess, and it's either dulled out like fabric, or dialed up like on skin and leather. I know framerate is always an issue, but I would have really liked to see some kind of an SS fake on the skin, and some kind of softening affect where the light changes from diffused lighting to shadow. It's a shame because the actual art of the characters is really nice, it's the shaders that I feel let them down. They're still really good though.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The full game is awesome.

That is all.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I tried the 360 demo.

How would Batman ever get anything done without conveniently placed INTERIOR gargoyle statues that appear to be free floating from walls? It reminds me of the hay bales from Assassins Creed. A little variation would go a long way for level design. Especially if believeable.

The game looks and feels like Bioshock, but not as pretty. You can't argue this point. It runs on the Unreal Engine. Everything is dark and creepy. That's what the UE is good at. It has consistently high specular values so that everything looks wet, slimy, and plastic. It's the "if you use it, abuse it" method of current gen game visuals. I observed you can take cover in the game...but I never really used it. If the game had been developed more with the gameplay and visuals of the MGS series, it would be been a major improvement, imho.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this style of combat in games. It's too easy. And I don't believe a game should give you pop-up instructions on what buttons to press, when, and how often throughout the game.

Many character animations need refinement. Whoever worked on Batman appears to have slept through anatomy class. Aside from the stiff plastic hair, Harley Quinn looks and moves great. My favorite character in the game.

The game isn't bad. But I'll likely wait for it to quickly hit the $20 or less bargain bin like other bug riddled Unreal titles before I feel like I'm getting what I pay for in terms of quality and enjoyment.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Started playing a bit last night, is cool! I love me some Batman!

pro:
    - love the voice acting
    - Harleyquinn has an amazing design,mesh, texture :) good stuff.
    - grappling & stealth combat is really fun. I was having a blast waiting for an opening, gliding down, drop kicking someone, choking them out, then grappling out before someone saw me.
    - detective mode is cool, the first few times. just wish it wouldnt color the screen some crazy color once i'm looking for "whiskey clouds" or "smoke piles."

con:
    - fuck the camera. seriously. Feels too close to the character, cramped, but when in combat it feels great. makes me want to stab babbies. its a small complaint, doesnt kill the game for me at all, just a nuisance :)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Games fuggin rad. Gratz to any here who worked on it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »

The game looks and feels like Bioshock, but not as pretty. You can't argue this point.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you.

I'd like to form up like Voltron with Sectaurs and second that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX: Dunno what you're smoking, Arkham Asylum looks considerably better than Bioshock, if you're talking quality of assets / textures / models / characters / lighting... pretty much anything except the water.

Bioshock had nice environments for the most part, but the lighting was all over the place, the characters were poor, and the weapons were quite bad. Arkham Asylum has none of those problems. If I were to say one thing, it's that I don't like Batman himself's face very much. Everything else looks great though.
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I've beaten the game twice now, once on normal and once on hard getting all the riddles (240/240 yah!) and I've got to say the game ranks with the best games of this generation, at least for me personally. Everything is so well done, from the atmosphere, to the combat to the presentation. Amazing job Rocksteady.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought the game was great. Could have used more variety in the boss fights though.
    There was really only one non Bane/Titan style boss fight.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I've just beat the game and I have to chime in and say how impressed I was with it as a whole. Very slickly put together and the art throughout is top notch! I agree that the boss fights could have been more varied and imaginitive, but I thought that otherwise all the gameplay elements worked really well. The Scarecrow sections were especially well done. Also, The Riddler's puzzles were a nice touch and added a lot to what otherwise could have been the usual bonus item collecting filler. Having the character trophies to look at is really cool as well and something that more games should do.

Anyway, kudos to all involved and I look forward to seeing what Rocksteady do next. BTW, did I see former CGChat mod Jamie Field in the credits?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    BTW, did I see former CGChat mod Jamie Field in the credits?
    Jamie is alive?
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Damn, I completely forgot about Jamie. He must come and join Polycount!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I just completed this and the game itself was excellent, the ending was a REALLY poor payoff for the time invested.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Aw man, apparently Direct2Drive and Steam only offer this in the United States of Mexada for now. F that :poly127:
  • psychoticprankster
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Been waiting for this demo myself, so with a bucket of icecream under one arm and my softest pillow under the other i ventured out into the demo. Visuals blew me away, especially the first scene when they pan over Arkham Asylum. Everything else in the demo is amazing, there are nice combat that will make you go "BAMM, criminal scumm!".

But I rather prefer steath combat as I am more of a gentleman, takes some time to practice, and you will mostly spend your time with the screen blue at all times(detective vision) but its so fracking satisfactory when you drag a baddie up the ceiling and hang him there screaming then cut his rope(anyone tried that?).

Only crit I may have ist that I dont think Batsy is agile enough, I know he is gianormous, but at least I would want a jump button. Pluss I love that they go back to the real Gotham feeling Batman and not the batman in the new movies. Like the old joker and the old batmobile and the real dark Gothamn.
    I hung and a guy and cut the rope in this game aswell. What happend if you cut the rope with guys under him ? those it cause them to get knocked out ?
  • psychoticprankster
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Been waiting for this demo myself, so with a bucket of icecream under one arm and my softest pillow under the other i ventured out into the demo. Visuals blew me away, especially the first scene when they pan over Arkham Asylum. Everything else in the demo is amazing, there are nice combat that will make you go "BAMM, criminal scumm!".

But I rather prefer steath combat as I am more of a gentleman, takes some time to practice, and you will mostly spend your time with the screen blue at all times(detective vision) but its so fracking satisfactory when you drag a baddie up the ceiling and hang him there screaming then cut his rope(anyone tried that?).

Only crit I may have ist that I dont think Batsy is agile enough, I know he is gianormous, but at least I would want a jump button. Pluss I love that they go back to the real Gotham feeling Batman and not the batman in the new movies. Like the old joker and the old batmobile and the real dark Gothamn.
    I hung a guy and cut the rope in this game aswell. What happens if you cut the rope with guys under him ? those it cause them to get knocked out ?

EDIT:Sorry for double posting my PS3's browser went weird.
    please delete both my posts, I found the answer to my question just after posting this.
    Thank you and sorry to hastle you about this.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it'll knock them out. There is also an achievement for doing so.
  • Obfuscate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obfuscate polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, Lamont has outed me from hiding. I havent read all of this thread, with a little time maybe. :) I am a busy man these days.

Hi all. Glad you are liking Batman. It was a truly great game to work on and Rocksteady is a fantastic company to work for. I had a blast and the Batman franchise in computer game form will only get stronger. :)

Thanks all for the kind words. Myself and the team appreciate it.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha I had no idea you were internet famous, Jamie. Was going to link you tomorrow morning
    Miss those sandwiches man you need to cook something up
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    rebb wrote: »
    Aw man, apparently Direct2Drive and Steam only offer this in the United States of Mexada for now. F that :poly127:

What you do to get around that. Log in, add it to your cart. Now fire up a web anonymizer and log in, purchase, close the anonymizer, and it's in your purchased games. It only checks during the actual payment, not when you want to download or check your keycode.

That's how I bought The Witcher off D2D in Iceland.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    rebb wrote: »
    I thought Steam game availability were the same all over the world?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    this is looking pretty darn sexy