Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lobster Johnson - Comicon Challenge Entry WIP

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
Aesir blew his wad looking at this crap and told me I should make a thread. Who am I to deny someone in a post-orgasmic glow, even if they're looking at the world through rose (or is that spooge?) tinted glasses?

Anyway, this is my entry for the Comicon Challenge over at GameArtisans. I was going to do an Abe Sapien, but then I realized that so many people have had their way with him that I could use a metaphor involving a tubesteak and a corridor, so I settled on Lobster Johnson.

PIKTARZ:

lj_screen_010.jpg

I've since tweaked his nose and other stuff, but whatever...
lj_screen_008.jpg

I decided to do a quick unwrap and test bake of his head to make sure I was going in the right direction:

lj_screen_009.jpg

And here's what aesir was getting his rocks off about:

lj_screen_012.jpg

And since I was also instructed to show the texture sheets, here they are in all their incredible mediocrity. They're resized from 1024s, and no, I wasn't concerned with them being very efficient or clean around the edges since they were just for testing purposes and I won't be using them in the final product:

lj_screen_013.jpg

Any comments, crits, spooge or panty wetness are totally tubular in a completely hetero way. Though the hetero is actually optional if your username starts with any of the letters between A and Q.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    eggsellent eggsellent, my mind control machine is nearly complete.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    awesome! I especially like the pants. Something is strange about the cuffs of his sleeves. The length seems correct if they sleeve is folded up at the sleeves, but the way they are folded up seems strange. Maybe some kind of inner lining, like a puffy faux fur type material would make it look better in that area.
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Excellent work so far man, can't wait to see this guy posed! :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    loving the face man! great work on the meat!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Face is great. Those "lumps" on the side of the thighs, whatever those are called, make 'em more sharp and stylized maybe? I wouldn't be afraid to go bolder and more stylized.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir: What was that? Get on my knees? 'Kay.

P442: In the comic, the cuffs aren't actually folded up, but I wanted to break up the silhouette a little more than it would be if they were just straight. Now I don't quite know what to do with them, but the faux fur is a good idea.

Goldo_O, JohnnyRaptor: Thanks!

rasmus: The pants are giving me waaay more trouble than they should. Getting the balance between stylized like in the comic (they're very pointy and stiff) and realistic (more saggy and limp) is proving to be really tough. They should look sorta like the breeches that Nazi officers wore, so I looked at what the guys in Valkyrie wore to get a better understanding of things, but it's still not working out.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a bit of work done on his gun. I still have to add the hammer, magazine, ejection port, safety and a couple of other smaller details. Little stuff like the grooves on the sides of the slide and texture on the grip will be added later once I get to normal mapping.

This is the first gun I've ever made. I'm not sure whether I love or hate hard surface modeling. It's a very different challenge from doing organic stuff.

lj_screen_014.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Thats a nice lookin gun man. I really like the area around the trigger. Keep it up dude.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Wicked dude. Nice job on the proportions.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys.

I got a bit more work done on the gun. I still haven't modeled the safety because it's a stupidly complex shape that I don't want to deal with right now, but whatever. I'll get it done soon enough.

lj_screen_015.jpg
    lj_screen_016.jpg

And while I was busy being a lazy ass and not modeling the safety, I made the gas mask cylinder that hangs from the back of his belt.

lj_screen_017.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See how lazyness can make you really productive? :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tell people that I'm the laziest person I know, yet for some reason they don't believe me. My work ethic is terrible; I only work fast because I want to be done with it and move on to sitting around in my underwear eating chips for the rest of the day. Everybody just thinks I'm a hard worker, though. I can't win.

I'm almost done with the low-poly version of his head and body. There's still a fair amount of crap geometry going on that I need to fix up, but the majority of the work is done. I've been working on this damn thing for the better part of two weeks and it's been a nightmare because almost the entire model is asymmetrical in very subtle ways. Maddening.

He's currently sittin' pretty at 7734 tris. That leaves me enough for all the accessories on his belt. Woo!

PIKTARZZZZ!!!

lj_screen_018.jpg
    lj_screen_019.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm almost finished baking normals and AO. Still need to do 'em for the gun, grenades and some other small stuff, but I'm around 90% there.

lj_screen_020.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks real purdy. Belt smoothing bothers me.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    not enough accesories!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm? What was that? Did somebody say something about... accessories?

lj_screen_021.jpg

Still got some AO to bake to ground all the details, but that's easy enough. I'm kinda ticked off at myself; I forgot about the container on the back of his belt, so when I went to unwrap him and all the other stuff, I didn't leave enough room in the UVs for it. This is gonna be fuuunnn... :poly128:
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots to do and not much time to do it. And now school's getting in the way! Oooohhhh shiiiiiiiii...!

lj_screen_022.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    niiiice, bake turned out great
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ha ha swizzle, I have really become a huge fan of your work, this is turning out fantastic, can't wait for some texture lovin' :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys.

I just found out that there was a one-week extension on the deadline for this. I can breathe a little bit easier now. Not much easier, however.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Just great. Nice nice.

*high five*
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I've been silently admiring this character for a while. Great choice for your subject. Even though I'm not familiar with him I feel like I can already figure out a lot about him. Great work so far, I'm definitely looking forward to the finish.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys.

I got some more work done on this sucker. Any comments, crits or whatever would be appreciated. I'm thinking he looks a bit too monochrome right now, so I'm thinking of doing something with his pants to spice things up a bit.

*nudge nudge, wink wink*

lj_screen_023.jpg
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    You did a really good job on him, Swizzle. Honestly, I knew who he was as soon as I first saw you post his head.

Great work!!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think it needs some more texture added to the diffuse spec and normals. Otherwise I'm liking it.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great Swizzle! I really like the subtle browns on the jacket where the leather is roughed up.

Here are a few minor crits. I think some buttons or darker seams on the fly of the pants would help bring something extra to the relatively flat material. Then on the jacket cuffs, I think you need some kind of lighter material since it is technically what would be on the inside. A nice furry lining or light brown silk could be cool. Maybe make the sole of the boots a slightly darker color than the rest of the boot to help show its a separate harder material. And then maybe a little more yellow in the skin would help reduce the pink look that is going on at the moment.

Ok, I hope some of that helps. Keep rocking it man, and this guy will be awesome when he is done.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider:
    Thanks!

aesir:
    Agreed. He needs more grime and stuff.

nrek:
    Hmm... mmhmm... yeah... buttons... sexy. I like it.
    I'm definitely going to put some more work into the other materials as well. Things have a loooong way to go.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Swiz - nice work, gives me lobster envy when i haven't finished mine...

one crit - where's his lobster crest/mark on the hand which he burns onto his enemies ? huh?
    oh you should so have his calling cards as well:
    jiglob.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just haven't put the claw in the texture yet. It's certainly going to be there, though.

As for the calling cards... yes... me likey. I hadn't thought of it before, but I think I've got some extra space on the UVs that I could squeeze the card into.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BAM! Average length Lobster Johnson!

lj_screen_024.png

I dirtied him up a bit, added some more color variation to various places, screwed around with his boots and pants some, got a start on the pouches and various other crap. I've still hardly touched his cap and gloves, I haven't touched his skin, gun or grenades at all, his belt needs work... the list goes on. Whatever.

Thanks for the encouragement and crits, everybody.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've dirtied him up a little more and added more variation in the specular because it felt like his jacket should have some more texture.
    lj_screen_025.png
    lj_screen_026.png

Somebody over at GA wanted to see the textures, so I figure I may as well post 'em here as well.
    lj_screen_027.png
    lj_screen_028.png
    lj_screen_029.png
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey, big improvement.. starting to look great.

IMO, try playing around with some black patterning on the spec map.. really break it up. sometimes when i add that to my models, it really does great things. grab a painterly rough brush and dab it here and there. see if that does anything. it might not work.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Nice little update Swizzle. That jacket just keeps looking better and better. The red you added to the scarf thing is also a nice touch. And the pants look much better, its nice how you can kinda see the fibers of the fabric. I cant wait to see the final product. Have you been thinking about a base at all?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner:
    I've actually been doing almost exactly what you described with the spec map. Most of the detail you can see on the jacket, aside from the leather texture and large folds, is actually coming from variation in the specular map. I'm certainly going to keep it up until I'm satisfied... or until I run out of time.

nrek:
    Funny you mention the base; I'm actually working on it right now. I'm going to make something similar to the one from this statue.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the end is in sight. I still have a lot to do, but there's light at the end of this particular tunnel.

lj_screen_030.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided that the previous base was too complex and distracting, so I'm gonna go with a simple stair shape for the final. I haven't decided if I'm going to do much in the way of texturing it yet, but I may throw something on there really quick.

lj_screen_032.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    SHits awesome swizz. Really like it.
    Thanks for the flats, i wanted to see what your spec looked like :)
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    love the lighting in the latest shot you have there man
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys.

I think I'm nearing the end here, and there couldn't be a better time for it. The contest ends tomorrow night. This should be close to what the beauty render will look like and I think probably I'll use this basic layout for all the rest of the images I'm supposed to submit. I dunno about the background color, though; I may want to use something a bit cooler to contrast with all the warm colors on Mr. Johnson.

lj_screen_034.jpg
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Very well done man...agree on the background color. All of the details get lost in all of that brown.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice man! Good luck with it.

I actually like the bg colour. Sometimes its nice to not go with an opposing temperature scheme. I say keep it.

Just one thing, the pose still looks a little ungainley, and i think its that the back leg is rotated so far from forwards, bring it back a bit more to center and it should help fix it.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent work, Swizzle. The character has come together quite nicely. Looking forward to the final image.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankya, all.

I tried a straight blue version and it didn't look so hot, so here's what I think I've settled on for the final. I still need to fix up a couple of minor things and do one last render, but this is pretty much how he'll be looking. The only difference between this one and the previous one is the gradient background.

lj_screen_035.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle man, I absolutely love this dude, really strong finish :)

I think I can understand why you chose the background colours, and technically they do work, but I think you can bring the character a bit "further". I really like the bottom blues (or what looks like blueish - green... dark) on the bottom of the image, so I mocked this up very quickly... I don't know if you have tried this already (you said you tried the blues and it didn't work).

Either way, good luck, post the voting link in here as well so we can all vote for ya :)

swizzlelove.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love you.

I'm totally doing that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic Swiz! I love it.

The pose could use some tweaking? His knees and elbows are rotated away from his body a bit too much? Might capture a bit more motion and drama from a 3/4 shot?

Looking great, awesome texture work, love the jacket, so awesome...
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That looks fantastic! other than adding blue light (;)) the only think that looks off to me is the gun. no spec? texture looks flat and bland.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig:
    I don't think I'm going to change the pose too terribly much, though you were right about his knees and elbows. I tweaked them slightly and they look a bit better. I dunno about the 3/4 view, though. I did a test render or two and it looked alright, but something about the full front view just clicks with me. I think it's the eyes.

fearian:
    I ramped up the spec on the gun just for you. :)

Here's a little update. What do you guys think?
    lj_screen_036.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's over, done, finished, and I never ever ever ever ever ever (five evers ever!) have to look at it again.

final_beauty.jpg
    final_presentation.jpg
    final_textures.jpg
    final_construction.jpg
    final_concept.jpg