Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mazda RX-7

Replies

• 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks jai, i fixed that up. Good stuff

Another update, nearly done Blocking out the interior. So once i get all the bits and pieces on there it will look sweet.

RX7_WIP_25.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another Roll cage update.

RX7_WIP_26.jpg

Did the dash alittle too, once i make the inside of the doors then sould be ready to get tiny bit more detail in the interior and engine and stuff and then yess should be close to done, then i will post a heaps of pics for everyone to rip into.

More updates soon! yay the weekend!!! time to do more 3d!

Oh anyone got any ideas for a background i can put this car on? im thinking liek the corner of a race track.. but i dunno, thats maybe abit boring.... anyone??

Thanks
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Haha, detail much on that rollcage! What´s your polycount now?
    I would like to see more pics of the interior once you get there, with wires. That stuff has to be my weakest side when making cars, i don´t like doing it, unlike everything else such as engine, chassis, suspension. It´s always a struggle for me to make everything fit and flow when i´m doing an interior.

And for background: racetrack is kinda boring + most of the time that´s a wide open environment. I´d go for the grungy industrial background, that´s always badass and it fits the street-attitude of the car. Think dirty concrete and all.

Btw your wip makes me want to post my porject here also, I think I´ll start a topic this afternoon.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure man i'll post up some wires soon, proberly the next few days once i work on them more.

I know what you mean by the interior being a pain! its like you have to model inside out and it kills ya! lol
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG i am just about to end my life after making this door thing!

RX7_WIP_27.jpg
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Really looking awesome.. Will you normal map this? And how many tris does it have right now? I'm also doing a car right now that I'll put in my portfolio and I'm just wondering what are the specs of a game vehicle.. :)
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey boyluya: I wont normal map the car, but maybe bits here and there and interior. im at about 70,000 now arh! getting high, but i havent done a big optimise yet, and its like a full interior and more so yeah i'll be right. I saw your mustang! looking cool! i made one of them ages ago! i f-ed it up too! lol good luck man!

anyways check these out let me know if they are decent.. stilll more detail to come inside the car, and im doing the doors and the engine soon.

RX7_WIP_28.jpg
    RX7_WIP_29.jpg
    RX7_WIP_30.jpg
    RX7_WIP_31.jpg

oh i deleted the glass so u all can see in :)

oh and the ref just if you wanna see the texture im going for

l_5eed2d08e99fe4f8fb5e433479d8c73d.jpg
    post-615-1247803926683834183.jpg
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This piece is going from strength to strength Robbo. Loving all the little details and I can see the start of an engine happening there. Way to go! The interior looks like a massive bitch so kudos for having more patience than i do, lol.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for viewing my stuffs dude. I'm just starting to lay may hands on vehicles. Yeah, the mustang I'm making is about 40k tris right now in total and I'm planning to add some accessories. I want it to be a game-res model cause I'll put it in my game folio but I also want it to render like how Christophe Desse does on his vehicles (just bought his tutorial from the gnomon). So I'm still not quite sure how many tris should I end up with.

The interior looks awesome. This is really getting better dude. Maybe you can add some seatbelt cause it's a racing car, ayt? And for the background thing, maybe a a small gasoline station will be cool IMO. But, it's all up to you mate. :)
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just putting this up, one of the better tests i did in an aircraft hanger :) anyone like these??? Note these are abit dar, still have to play with lighting :)

RX7_WIP_32.jpg

RX7_WIP_34.jpg

RX7_WIP_35.jpg

i know some shadows dont make to much sence but yeah i might go for this effect in the end?

ps model of the hanger was a model from google sketchup whare house i got ages ago, i just modelled more to it. :) ahhh google :)

oh and seat belts

RX7_WIP_33.jpg
  • Arkanon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, looks great, you've put in some great details from your reference. Can't wait to see you put that camo texture on it :poly124:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, I just now realized that you are dukesy from game-artist!
    So you got tired of the Holden Ute you were doing ? This one does look like a step up in quality.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    man this is pretty fricking AWESOME
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon: Thanks man! i'll keep playing around with the background untill i get something i like, im thinking a BIG hanger?? maybe.

Xoliul: Far out! took you that long? lol what was it that made you realize? lol Yeha the ute.... still going here and there, we will see how it goes. I wanted to do a car with personality, abit of flare to it :)
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey just throwing out a question. would anyone know of anyways of makeing the shadow textures in the viewport of 3ds max 2010 any higher res?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not possible man, it's determined by the total physical size of the objects that cast and receive shadows. Maybe using soft-shadows will help, but I know my shader doesn't support those yet. I might just fix them, since I need a little push to get started on it again.

And uhm yeah, I clicked the portfolio link and recognized the work, that's why. Took way too long, I agree.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good model Drobbo!, love all the details,keep em all coming dude!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, looking pretty damn good. Are you trying to limit yourself to a certain poly count?
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking out a basic engine. i dont like it but it but i dont think it will be seen much, so should be fine, going to finish it soon :) and then unwrap!!! ARGH!!!!!!

RX7_WIP_36.jpg

mLichy: maybe around 60-70 thousand, currently at like 72 or something,
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all, last night added in a heap of random stuff to the engine, makeing it look cluttered, NONE of it makes sence but whatever, Now i'm going to loft some alpha planes with wire textures on it (if it works) to fill up the engine bay even more :) then... hopefully.... thats nearly all the modelling done :)

RX7_WIP_37.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im going to ask a question.

Would anyone have any ideas on how to lay out a UVW for a car.

I would assume:

- one texture sheet for the exterior. (and how would i lay it out for best results? any examples?) 2048
    - one texture sheet for interior 1024
    - one for the wheels/rims 512
    - one for engine 256 or 512
    - one for misc parts 256 or 512

My main concern is the layout of the exterior, and joining up the texture along seams and such. Would anyone have any examples of ideas on this?

Thanks
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well for game vehicles, alot of games just use a tiling speckle shader on the paint, then do textures for interior/wheels/engine/ extra parts.
  • spanks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has been a lot of fun to watch, keep up the good work :) I can't say I dig the exhaust, sleepy eyes, or the flares...but I'm a stock kinda guy, except for the go fast parts :)

So far I think you're pretty damn accurate with the shape. The rear bumper I think is slightly off however. It should be a bit flatter on top. The only other thing is the flare in the body in front of the rear wheel seems a bit exaggerated on your model. I couldn't really think of how to describe it so I haven't said anything until now...and I have pictures.

inthegarage0031192365.jpg

0954681105.jpg

compared to

RX7_WIP_34.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow leaving it to the last minute spanks! lol thank you, i have fixed up he rear bumper abit. some of the ref i had it looked right and some was abit out, by about 1-2 cm so thats all sorted now. looked better, as for the body flare.. not 100% sure ehat you mean, but if its the curve of the side of the car, then, yeah, it does look abit off, but its to late to change that now. where were you like a week ago. hehe

Thanks for the support. Im going to start the unwrapping now as i cant seem to find any other major issues. :)
  • Jaiza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most games will use a material for the body of the car, very much like its done at your work :P
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The camo paint job will need an unwrap though. I reckon the map sizes you suggested Robbo sound good. I'd even paint at double those sizes so you have the res for any production renders or showcase videos. It's dead easy to optimize and downsize later.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool thanks for all the comments.

Yes using a shader like at work would be nice, would make my life a hell of alot easier! with with the camo i would need an unwrap.

kysterama: yea those sizes seemed most logical for me, and yes i'll make sure i'll paint it at double size :)

Well ive started unwrapping, so i might not active for a day or so, (cause its a bitch) but i'll get un unwrap sheet up of the body of the car soon for all to see and critique.

Keep posting guys! let me know what you all think of this project of mine
  • spanks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I don't post here often.. just lurk. You're modeling my car though so that's awesome

I was talking about this part.

asfa.png

I guess I held off until now because I wasn't sure if it was the actual shape or just how you had it smoothed. I figured I'd just bring it up since I'm throwing crits in at the end that should have been a long time ago :eek: I didn't see the bumper until just before I made my post, sorry.

And yeah...you've probably unwrapped it already..sorry again lol
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spanks: Well!!!!!..... actually my hard drive just died and i lost the unwrapping, thank god for backups! so i can still fix it! thanks for the input man, exactly why i posted up here to get some feed back on my work! thanks buddy, i'll have an update up soon :)
  • spanks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear that..hard drives suck when they go bad.

These are the only other ones I've got that might help.. The car is in that tiny garage in the other picture at the moment and it doesn't really move right now. I can't get any other good shots of it.

I think the shape is pretty close, just where it blends into the body could be a little smoother I guess.

092ftc.jpg

093uks.jpg

094n.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks spanks, i'll get on the asap, but for now an update of my texture

its pissing me off abit but i'll get there i think.

having a hard time with those squares, but... i'll get them.

RX7_WIP_36-1.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, another update on the texture. just getting everything in place and then work on making it the best it can be :)

hope you all like!

RX7_WIP_37-1.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like I said, stunning update! Great choice of paintjob to replicate.
    For drama's sake, I would consider wearing down the paintjob a bit, not necessarily chipped and battered, but more like, fading paint, worn from the sun (since you have that a lot in australia).
    Also, if that thing on the side is an exhaust, you should add black smoke streaks, just like on WW2 fighter planes!
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWT! Looking fantastic and with a little wear like Xoliul says and some AO this is going to look pure win. Congrats on nearly finishing man! :)
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update, got the panel things pretty much done. Oh i can get transparency working with AO and stuff! argh! pissing me off! The colours are abit off when i look at it now but easy fix :)

RX7_WIP_38.jpg

oh and this again for comparison
    post-615-1247803926683834183.jpg
    Thanks for kind words kysterama

Thanks Xoliul yes i will defiantly do some smoke streaks and such around the car will look cool! cant wait to start that stuff!
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    I would take the rivits off the paint job. They dont really fit in, but the rest is looking really nice. Good job man!
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm i think maybe i made them too big... see below

l_96d3fef52541a906af5a68daadd63520.jpg

but i see what you mean :) i think i'll make them small, more like it actually is, should fix it thanks Orgoth02! good spotting
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    last update for today, added some highlights to the squares, and made the rivits smaller. looks better now :) next..... more unwrapping and more details in the texture :)

Getting close to being done! yay!

RX7_WIP_39.jpg
  • Yngram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yngram polycounter lvl 8
    This looks great. The modeling looks accurate and the texture appears to match up to the real one.

I hate to say I'm not a real big fan of the paint job though. I know it's supposed to be fashioned after the ones in the photos you posted, but to me all the camo paneling kills the smooth flowing body of IMO one of the best looking cars ever produced.

Anyway, that's just a personal preference. Your RX7 is still pretty kickass.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Yngram, cool, yeah im thinking about doing a camo version and a normal colour version, might work out better that way :)

does anyone lnow of anyway of getting ransparency to work correctly with max's viewport AO?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Set it to "None" I think, works in my case but it seems like a very random thing that differs between computers.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xoliul i'll try that asap.

So.... appears that NO ONE really likes the paint job... so i'll make another version of it for show. i'm going to make a cleaner paintjob for this car, anyone want to suggest any colours or anything they would like to see?? :)

Im thinking nice big sticker down the side and some product sticker around the body and on the windows ect... maybe a nice white colour, with black stickers, OR and oragne colour with white stickers. what you all think?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    black and green car? mm polycountcar
    like, main body colour black and green lines/flames/checker/whatevs?
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POLYCOUNTCAR!!! NO I DIDNT!!!!

Still pretty plain but more stickers will fix that. do you like the colours?

RX7_WIP_44.jpg

RX7_WIP_43.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry to post again... OR...... this:

RX7_WIP_45.jpg
  • Arkanon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey looks cool. I liked the camo one :) I like it in black a bit more though :thumbup:
  • Yngram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yngram polycounter lvl 8
    Haha nice! Looks like he's trying to bite a chunk out of the front wheel.

I like both of the new versions.
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    very nice dude, i wouldn't be surprised to see that in a banner ;)
  • spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Man that looks good. 2 thumbs up from me. Not much to critique, its one bad ass rx 7! Lets see some more :D