Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mazda RX-7

Hey guys, I am currently making an RX7 and wanted to get some feed back as i go along. It will hopefully look like the reference below in the end.

It will be mid poly when complete, hopefully into a game engine or at least the max viewport. Im looking for any advice to get the polies flowing nice or if im tackling them the right way.

I have blocked out the main body shape for the stock car and once that is done, i will start adding in bigger details such as vents and more chamfers etc. to make it resemble the ref

th_l_6a6897919a491f1243454bd7305ffa0e.jpg
th_RX7_WIP_01.jpgth_RX7_WIP_03.jpg

** The stock car has different parts to it than this ref (like the front bumper), but im not to worried about that at the moment, just wanna practise my modelling and the stock car has alot more ref than this camo green one. I'l get there in the end. no rush

Replies

• Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    It seems a bit difficult to determine if there are spots where you have awkward or inaccurate geometry without any un-wired renders to look at. Are you planning to make a high poly to bake down for this or just the import mesh?
  • mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    Right now it looks like you have a lot of edges that run across the front bumper that aren't doing anything for the shape, except maybe keeping it from smoothing nicely. Maybe try to re-work the way the geometry is flowing around the curved insets. Try to keep the detail localized if possible.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the quick replys guys,

here is an smoothed pic.

th_RX7_WIP_04.jpg

I have all the loops in just for now to keep everything neat while i tweek the model and shapes, i will be getting rid of them soon, but im hesitant to because i get tri's streaking on the model and it looks ugly. esspecial with realtime reflections. so im still sussing that out.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another bit of an update.

slowly getting there. mucking around with shaders testing out different ones.

RX7_WIP_05.jpg

nutting out the shapes i need for the front, trying to get the reflections all good, man i cant wait to get stuck into this car on the weekend!!!

any comments are welcome!

Thanks guys!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is some crazy ref to work off of. There has to be better images out there? Unless you posted that to hinder comparison? That's the whole point of camouflage to disguise the shapes and break up the flow.

Without something better to compare it to, it looks pretty solid...
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Any of those my shader? I hope it is because it looks very well presented.
    You seem to know your flow very wel, no remarks there from me.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Vig: Yeah i have HEAPS of reference (mainly of the stock car, as this camo car is my mates, and i havent been around his place to take more pics yet, these are just from the net i found from his drift shows), but im not going to post all my ref, i only posted the green camo one to show the look im going for. If you want to see what im makeing for now, its just a plain old Mazda RX-7 for - http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=mazda%20RX-7&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi the extra bits will come later. :)

Im still going to have shiney paint on it in the end, so hence, the questions about poly flow, so my reflections dont go all crappy.
    llll_3ed2d8a712d3acff4e898f9a6b155e.jpg

Yes Xoliul! its yours! there isnt a better shader out there i can find atm.! Thanks for you comments man.

Well im glad my poly flow is ok, this is the second time i have made that front bumper! lol

Cant wait to get more pics up! will do very soon!

** i think some of my edges are out for the side vent thing, so i'll be fixing that next, i made it at like midnight so forgive me.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Keep it up, I love me some good car models!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    so far so good dude, and like Don said, we like us some good car models! Any plans for interior?
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks c0ldhands and ThatDon yeah i will hopefully have a basic interior. I have been looking at games like GRID and need for speed, trying to get the details they include, they got some crazy models!

Just a bit of an update, slowly getting there more to come, will start optimizing soon! just keeping this alive for me! i will be doing a big session on this soon :)

Hope you all like

RX7_WIP_06.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looking forward to your hardcore session on this car :)
    Looking great so far...
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just another update, going to stop messing with Xoliul's shader and do some more modelling.

Yes i know its very reflective and looks like ass, but yeah getting there. :)

RX7_WIP_08.jpg
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along quite nicely. I take it you're going to use just the mesh normals rather than baking out a normal map?
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks ZackF

Yea, most likly, i will use normal maps for bits here and there i think.

Do u think its better to bake the whole car? Would anyone know what is done on AAA title games?
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its coming along beautifully Rob. I know what you mean about Xoliul's shader! lol. I've been tinkering with it all day long. Can't wait to see where you go with the textures on this one! I'll be especially interested on where you go with normal mapping on detailed pieces ;)
  • Taz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz
    Hey 3Drobbo,

I've worked on AAA titles and very few of them have full body normal mapped cars and my personal opinion is that normal mapping a whole car is a waste of time, how ever it really depends on the polycount. The current industry trend for this generation is a minimum of 16,000 polys for the exterior (including a low poly interior around 500 - 1000 poly) and around 2,000 polys for each wheel. Anything below these specs then full body normal mapping would be used.

So looking at your poly flow (which is looking good btw) and count i wouldn't bother normal mapping the full body. I would just stick to normal map things like brake calipers, Discs, suspension and other mechanical parts like that if you were intending on making them, also lights if they look like they can benefit from it. Some times we normal map the seams on fuel tanks and other parts like it if your running low on poly count. I personally don't like doing this as it can be obvious when the rest of the seams are modeled.

What polycounts are you aiming for?

and just to give you an idea of what a full normal mapped cars look like here's a render of the Lotus 79 i made for Iracing.

lotusrender.jpg

If you've got any other questions feel free to ask id be more than happy to help. :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Robbo, cool to see you tinkering with my stuff, this is really the sort of thing I made it for ;)
    Taz has said it perfectly, I wouldn't have been able to slap those numbers on (since I don't have all that much industry experience), but from what i've tried myself, and seen from other games, full normalmapping is just not worth your time & effort, high polycounts are prefered. They frequently don't even unwrap such higherpoly car bodies, and use a shader sort of like mine, that works with a solid color.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great insight Taz, I suspected that was the case. I should have clarified to Robbo that I was asking out of curiosity rather than as a suggestion. :)

I guess that you would only want to do a fully normalmapped car on a non-racing game, like Crackdown or what have you.

Taz, since one ends up not relying on textures so much, is it common practice to bake AO to vertex colors instead of textures?
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Taz wrote: »
    Hey 3Drobbo,

I've worked on AAA titles and very few of them have full body normal mapped cars and my personal opinion is that normal mapping a whole car is a waste of time, how ever it really depends on the polycount. The current industry trend for this generation is a minimum of 16,000 polys for the exterior (including a low poly interior around 500 - 1000 poly) and around 2,000 polys for each wheel. Anything below these specs then full body normal mapping would be used.

So looking at your poly flow (which is looking good btw) and count i wouldn't bother normal mapping the full body. I would just stick to normal map things like brake calipers, Discs, suspension and other mechanical parts like that if you were intending on making them, also lights if they look like they can benefit from it. Some times we normal map the seams on fuel tanks and other parts like it if your running low on poly count. I personally don't like doing this as it can be obvious when the rest of the seams are modeled.

What polycounts are you aiming for?

and just to give you an idea of what a full normal mapped cars look like here's a render of the Lotus 79 i made for Iracing.

lotusrender.jpg

If you've got any other questions feel free to ask id be more than happy to help. :)

Wow thank you for the info dude. I am starting to lay my hands on vehicles for games but don't know what are the right specs. Wait, did you say polys and not tris?
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks kysterama, Taz, Xoliul and ZackF!

kysterama: Thanks man, yeah i will proberly do badges and wheel bolts, mesh, screws, lights. yeah... whatever else is small and will save more tris.

Taz: Thanks for all the info! good to put some numbers up! I dont really have a poly limit, this will just be a showcase car for portfolio. but you know wount be too high, just want to have fun with it :)

Xoliul: Love you shader man! good stuff! but.... MAX 2010!!!! grab the disc and burn it!!! resetting light and cant copy materials casue the shader resets.... BLAH!!! hate it!!!!!!! shaders run slow on it too! oh well it has AO.

ZackF: No need to clarify! all good! i know what you meant. Thank for the comments. Im also curious about vertex bakes and if they are used?

boyluya: He properly means tris, i dont think polys are "cool" anymore.

Well, now onto the 3d stuff, i made a rim! and spent heaps of time just smoothing out some geometry of the body, still pretty basic, but hopefully this week it will start to get optimised and detailed. :)

Enjoy

RX7_WIP_09.jpg

RX7_WIP_10.jpg

Ahhh SSAO and shadows......... :thumbup:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i know about some settings that reset in Shaders, it's not specific to mine, Autodesk just messed something up that used to work. I did seem to notice that it loads shaders with shadows faster than previous versions?
    Anyway, the SSAO and AA make it worth using, if only as the "rendering" application (i still model in 2009).
    And this project is a lot like one of my last: http://laurenscorijn.com/projects/240SX/
    A crazy ricedrifter, high polycount with no normalmaps, just for fun & show-off on portfolio and realtime rendering only!
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking real cool man, nice detailing, fender flairs are ace :)
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, yeah i have noticed its alot slower! man i hope someone fixes it soon! its pissing me off. nice plug on you website by the way Xoliul :)

Yeh i think im going to stop mucking around with your shader... get back to the modelling. then play with shaders.

I'll get some more updates soon!
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is getting really interesting man.. One question though, what kind of normal map is used for vehicles? Tangent space or object space?
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    @boyluya .... I haven't seen anything use Tangent Space in a long time... from my knowledge it's kinda just a legacy thing now because if I remember right... tangent space can't be used properly on moving objects?... or am I way off?
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Llama, I think you mean object space. Tangent space is the widely used version. Object space can still be used on things that don't have any soft deformation with proper engine support, but the need for all surfaces on a mesh to be uniquely unwrapped makes it less appealing for typical game assets.
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet rims Robbo, you smashed them out nice and quick. Who needs normal maps eh? lol.

Speaking of which, there's a huge technical normal map discussion over here without hijacking this thread! :P -> http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=48305
  • Taz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz
    boyluya: Yeah Sorry i meant triangles. I have a bad habit of saying polys all the time.

ZackF: Baking the AO into the vertex colour isn't that common as it never yields the same results as a nice texture bake. And with car bodies you need a nice gradual shade to make the car really come to life. You can still use shaders such as Xoliul's and the ones like his, they just need a good uv and a AO input.

I believe that even Forza 3 and Gran Tourismo with their 100,000+ cars, they still have a texture baked AO.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick image of what i did last night. Added the exhaust and started work on the rear. Starting to fill out now cant wait to get more pics up, will get some wires up soon.

Cheers for all the comments guys, its really helping me learn more about car modelling keep it it!!!!!

RX7_WIP_11.jpg
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey buddy, this might help.

http://www.3dfinlay.net/index.html

http://www.polygoo.com/vehicles.html

When I saw their work, it made me dig into vehicle making.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks boyluya,

yeah i visit these all the time! great artist! i think 3dfinlay posts on Game Artist forums alot. He must be having heaps of fun at Rockstar and stuff!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David is not at Rockstar anymore ;)
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Drobbo wrote: »
    thanks boyluya,

yeah i visit these all the time! great artist! i think 3dfinlay posts on Game Artist forums alot. He must be having heaps of fun at Rockstar and stuff!

Polygoo's work is just awesome.

Another question. How do you model the lights? I mean, is it ok if you make them a floating geometry?
  • Taz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz
    Xoliul wrote: »
    David is not at Rockstar anymore ;)

Yep, He's working with me now @ Virtual Mechanix
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, He's working with me now @ Virtual Mechanix
    Cool! Is Chris still the manager? I was going to go for a position there a while ago but its another 100km drive for me from my current work :( not that i would last long! lol

well atm im making all the bits to make this car custom like my reference, the next wip i post will be more unique and resemble the final alot better, images to come soon
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blocked out the front headlights :)

RX7_WIP_12.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a couple of more images i took last night. getting there!

RX7_WIP_16.jpg

Taillights blocked out and mucked around with some lights and fixing the mesh abit. added door handles and window wiper. also fixed the front headlights and will be making side mirrors next!

Heres a wire fame for people to crit. :)
    RX7_WIP_14.jpg
    RX7_WIP_15.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now look what i have done! ive made a crazy DRIFTA! camer angle

RX7_WIP_17.jpg

and a gif :)

RX7_WIP_18.gif

what you think? Soon i will add in the panel seams, and start optimizing, then onto the texture!!! arhh!! im dreading the texture, i dont want it to fail me and let down the whole car
  • Arkanon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man looks great! love the gif
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    this looks pretty bitchin. especially without any use of textures. if i may ask, what polycount are you at now? and are you gonna model a/both the rearview mirrors? and what about the interior?
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Arkanon!

Snader yeah i will be doing the mirrors and a basic interior, just a block out of it really, might put some more detail in, but the interior is hard for me, never really done one so we will see how it goes. I been playing heaps of racing games lately to see what they do

Im at 38,610 tris

I would say my limit is like 50,000 by the time i get everything in. We will see!
  • BigHoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent job on the car so far 3Drobbo. With some optimizing I'm sure you'll probably stay within your max tris, if not say well under. As long as you keep up with the quality of your modeling, your texture will turn out great.
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maximum gif.

The details are really shining though now and adding an extra layer of OMFG'ness to the whole piece. Great work Robbo. I'm sure the textures won't ruin anything ;)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You keep kicking ass like this, Robbo!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    The front fender seems to be suffering from poly-wastage :)
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did this today, will be doing seams next i hope! lol

and added indicators and seats and mirrors and brakes

RX7_WIP_19.jpg

RX7_WIP_20.jpg

oh btw, thosw side mirrors............ OMG i was about to hang myself from a tree! it was Nucking Futs how sh*t they are to model!
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude this is looking really clean!
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I going to far?? LOL

Im doing this low res, it wont hardly be seen (the bonnet will be raised alittle).

It SO hard working out where stuff goes! Arh!!! what a head spin!

Oh well once i get all the basic filling out done should be all good , once ifix some proportions :)

RX7_WIP_21.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a small update, but an update never the less.

a wire frame shot and Panel Seams!!!! yay too long enough! Might have to make them darker or whaever, but i can do that in texture im sure

i'll do more interior stuff now:)

RX7_WIP_22.jpg

RX7_WIP_23.jpg

RX7_WIP_24.jpg
  • Jaiza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good mate! only thing i can pick that is bugging me is the rear piece on the side skirt. It looks like those three rows of edges need moving to either smooth it out or sharpen it up depending on what your going for.

I like very much!