Home General Discussion

Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo is out

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I thought overall it was solid, but there was absolutely no depth whatsoever to the combat. Just an attack button ,and a counter button. Pure spammage. Demo or not, I just wasn't impressed by the combat. Sure it was kinda fun for 10 mins, but i see it getting old fast.

Yeah, it's a demo, a demo with the combat depth of a flash game.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    play the new turtles remix game if you want the combat depth of a flash game. button mashing guys and seeing the occasional quick-time event fueled my enjoyment :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    new harlequin is too fucking awesome
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Well I sorta agree on the combat...I thought Assasin's Creed really nailed combat of that style. Had a lot of control and a good bit of depth to it (and was pretty much on two buttons and one stick).
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Just an attack button, and a counter button.
    Technically, you have a daze button too! ;) (circle on PS3)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    played the PC demo. looks great but the controls are a bit odd using a keyboard+mouse and the PhysX settings kill my frame rate (probably due to my ATI card...). would liked to have a bit more included in the demo, a few more weapons and gadgets. I'll get the Xbox360 demo when it becomes available for Silver members next week and see how that compares.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    tried pc demo with xbox360 controller and it was great , crashed my pc tho(but so does farcry 2 and some other games so Im getting the latest drivers now)
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    deleted for unwarrented douchebaggery..
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    arshlevon wrote: »
    i played them both and i could not tell the difference at all, so i looked for some real comparisons,
    http://www.eurogamer.pt/gallery.php?game_id=10313&article_id=689496#anchor

Damn near identical. I still want to see it against the PC version...

As far as the controls go, I think they are probably saving some shit for the release. Once again, the demo exists just to give you a taste of what the full game will be (and it tastes fucking DELICIOUS, IMO). Notice that your d-pad selects different items in your utility belt. In the demo only the batarang is present. I'm not sure what other kinds of little gadgets we'll see in the full game but I am really hoping for some Shark Repellent™
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    jesus your such a fucking troll.. take your fanboy bs someplace else, you just made that shit up.

i played them both and i could not tell the difference at all, so i looked for some real comparisons,
    http://www.eurogamer.pt/gallery.php?game_id=10313&article_id=689496#anchor

might be one multiplat i actually get for the ps3, because you can play as the joker.

Instead of just downright insulting me for ZERO reason other than your ego, why don't you do some digging yourself? I have all three consoles, and love different games on difference systems... As I said, THE GAME is the same... But sure, keep insulting me for zero reason at all, whatever:

360 (Obvious AO in action, same as PC):

bat360_15.jpg

PS3 (AO turned off):

batps3_15.jpg

AA for each system, left is PS3, right 360:

2808kgp.jpg

But no, please do keep insulting me for no reason, its nice.

EDIT: One last thing, those EuroGamer shots are all taken from the movie that plays as an intro... A movie. Not ingame. Its using ingame assets but its pre-recorded, as in its not actually playing in real time on YOUR system, it was recorded previously. Comparing that is a bit pointless as its not realtime like the gameplay. (Like RE4 on PS2/PC used pre-recorded movies, thats why the outfit you wore never changed).
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    deleted for unwarrented douchebaggery..
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    "I insult you because I dislike you" is not exactly a top notch justification.

On topic, just now finished the demo. Great looking game! The gameplay isn't really my kind of thing (just a preference), but it had good fluidity and polish to it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ZackF wrote: »
    "I insult you because I dislike you" is not exactly a top notch justification.

Nah its justified. Odium's xbox trollings are well documented on this forum. He succeeds in destroying most non-360 exclusive game discussions.

Is the PC version going to get any goodies the other versions are? Like will it get the Joker as a playable character in the challenge rooms, seeing as its being delayed? (Which I agree with BTW, this game deserves to be bought, not torrented.)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Guys come on. Let's just drop the insults before this thread gets closed. I don't want to see that happen. This game deserves better then that.

So on that note.. this games awesome. I have played the demo on PC (max settings), PS3 and 360. The differences are small. PC looks downright amazing but I don't have the 2 next to each other to compare.

I'll be getting the 360 version just because of the added achievments but I might lean to the PS3 for the Joker. I guess I'll decide on release day.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Blenderhead, I believe the PC version gets the PhysX stuff, which is amazing.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The PS3 gets Joker AND Joker maps, but the maps are coming to live a few weeks later. Not sure on the Joker, hes supposed to be exclusive, but this gen exclusive can mean a lot of things. EDIT: From what I've heard anyway.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I played the demo yesterday, on PC, with all the goodies turned on. DAMN it looks nice. The best looking UE3 game not made by Epic sofar ^^ Love that they took the time to add all the little extra polish to the pc-version, like the physics on paper, etc... The combat is awesome. I'm a big fan of rather easy but cinematic games, so it fits me like a glove. Also, i like sneaking :D Definately a buy for me :) Great work on the shading, everything pops out nicely :)
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Just an attack button ,and a counter button. Pure spammage.

you didn't try other buttons? you've got stun and dodge on your other two face buttons and you can throw batarangs while in combat too. sure you can just spam attack, but that removes all the the fun of building a combo and leaping across a room to kick a guy in the nuts.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    pretty awesome stuff. looking forward to playing it in its entirety. :thumbup:
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    First fight I was "fuck, not another punch and kick game. .. lame"
    then you pull out some cool ass skillz and tactical elements.

I almost feel like a cross between solid snake and splinter cell dude. didn't expect to have as much fun as I did!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Played the demo on PS3 and Steam, and really enjoy the game so far.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, those that preorder (like me!) get a Scarecrow challenge map

http://kotaku.com/5323674/arkham-asylums-scarecrow-design-is-bioshock-creepy
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    ...I heard that map is wicked cool :cool:
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    jesus your such a fucking troll.. take your fanboy bs someplace else, you just made that shit up.
    Grow up. shit. It's amazing that you can completely fly off the handle like that to someone's completely factual answer.

The 360 and PS3 have cards from different vendors, with different extensions, and different bottlenecks. They will never have exactly equal output on any game, even at a low level there are tiny differences between how the same texture filtering techniques are implemented, meaning you can't get the exact per pixel result on both machines.

Many games that ship on both machines will implement different lighting schemes that take advantage of what both machine's GPUs can do. Otherwise, both machines get shortchanged by having to drop to a lower level of common functionality.

(CITATION) 4XAA multisampling is free on the 360. You'll be hard pressed to find a game that doesn't take advantage of that.

AA is not free on the PS3. There are even articles about dynamically managing the amount of AA based on scene complexity to level out the frame rate. Little Big Planet does this.

Now onto the game demo.

It was great. I didn't even get a chance to get all the way through it yet. But I loved it. I loved the counter button, and all the little things I was able to do with it.

I only got up to the part where you have to get through the grate on the wall. I'll probably play all the way through today.

edit:

And the big stealth playground type room after that is awesome.

edit:

Shit! Is that killer croc? What a tease ending!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    odium wrote: »
    The PS3 gets Joker AND Joker maps, but the maps are coming to live a few weeks later. Not sure on the Joker, hes supposed to be exclusive, but this gen exclusive can mean a lot of things. EDIT: From what I've heard anyway.

you have to pay for live, and by proxy, the "free" downloads.

fail.

awesome stuff guys, downloading the pc demo now!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    If they are free updates and not charged updates, then silver or gold users can download them free of charge, which means by proxy, "free". Seeing as Batman is a Single player only game, I fail to see what XBL charging has to do with anything...?

Fail.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    ...that I worked on :cool:

Sweet! Can't wait to play though it.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    ...that I worked on :cool:

sweet :D congrats on making a totally asskicking game ^^
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I have to say, kudos o'dium for backing yourself up like that. Fanboy or not (or whatever), a discussion with evidence will always have a place here so long as its kept civil. Which it wasn't, so move along (the both of you). Let's get this sumbitch back on topic, yea?

Could anyone do the grapple or throw moves? (I think on 360/PC its XB and YA respectively). I played the PC demo and couldn't get them to work, although it says its possible in the Controls menu. I think those + the PhysX I was seeing will be hot shit.

I really enjoyed the demo, but it feels a bit like its not quite sure the kind of game it is. Is it a stealth game like Splintercell? Or an action game like God of War? It's a bit of both, but it didn't do either to the best of its ability, IMO. Even if Bat's could jump to grab ledges would have made the stealth experience x10 better. But instead we're to grapple to marked locations, rather than be able to grapple & hang from whereever. I really think this level of freedom would have made it the ultimate Batman experience.

Gripes aside I do think, though, its going to be a fantastic Batman story and I'll be picking it up when it comes out. The action combat was great, and I liked planning attacks before I hatched them, even if the Demo was holding my hand along the way (Totally fine for a demo! Had better not do that through the entire game. Re: Oracle keep your mouth shut!).
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    please fix the flickering textures in detective mode and zoom, it's really annoying to have these rectangular boxes full of diagonal lines keep popping up.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Best way to describe the game from playing the demo is "Metal Gear Solid... while playing as Batman". I'm sold after playing the demo, removed the few concerns I had. Will likely be getting my preorder in today. Not gonna get the CE, though, plastic Batarang is teh fail.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the demo, but it feels a bit like its not quite sure the kind of game it is. Is it a stealth game like Splintercell? Or an action game like God of War?
    This is funny to me, because Splinter Cell (I've only played the first two) had a tendency to stick you in the middle of a room and instantly alert twenty enemies in it to your location :P I hated those forced-combat sections =_=

The lack of jumping is pretty annoying though yeah--as are the two grates up on walls in the demo that you KNOW bats could get into if he WANTED to but are probably exit-only or require some gadget or something (at least, _I_ couldn't find any way to get in them). I would like to see some Metroid-esque secrets/etc even if they're just more riddler trophies but hopefully they'll be more inventive than that.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one of the grates in the last room in an exit for when you hop down in the grates on the floor of the center 'office' area.

I'm a bit annoyed that most of the physics objects in the PC demo get removed if you don't use PhysX. You can't even knock some of the rock cover off the outer cell walls in the very first room if you don't have PhysX turned on. No police tape on one the lockers. Not even a bit of steam in several places. Would also liked to have seen the monitors glass break in different ways when you throw a batarang at them.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the trophy room.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    What Adam said, the ability to grapple freely would make the whole experience 10x better.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »
    one of the grates in the last room in an exit for when you hop down in the grates on the floor of the center 'office' area.
    Yeah, I got that. The other one I was referring to is in the office you have to go through right before the first gargoyles ;)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I saw that one after I posted. :D
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I've been trying to demo working but every time I try to open it I get an error saying it got a system io file not found exception. I've tried installing it multiple times using the installer from the website and I just tried installing it through steam, nothing works. Didn't have any problems with the install, everything passed on the system check. Anyone else have this problem, or know what file I might be missing?
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did anyone get into the grate that was higher up on the wall? I found the 2 on the floor (one with a Riddler token), but I couldn't manage to get into the upper grate.
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    I have to admit that, for a six hour download, I wish there was a bit more. The disparity wouldn't have been as bad if I wasn't on glorified dial-up, but still... At least let us try one of the challenge maps.

Overall though, the experience came off as pretty polished; might buy it if I have spare time. It will allow me to use my PC for something other than Apophysis.

Is it just me, or does Batman have a small head?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Played though twice on PC, great stuff.

I discovered there actually was a way to 'grab ledges'. In the last room I had dropped down the bottom part, and when I went to swing up on a gargoyle I ended up pulling myself up to the railing infront of me. Haven't tried doing that and seeing if I can pull someone over.

Yet.

The combat is much more fun when you try to get some beastly combos by jumping back and forth between everyone around you, I really like the flow of it. Though I would like a bit more complexity to it.

The stealth is great. I set myself a challenge in the last room to take out everyone with an inverted takedown. Then later discovered after you have strung someone up, you can use a batarang to cut the rope, and when the guy drops to the ground the others turn to the noise.
  • IronicallyMaiden
    I've lost count of how many times I've played the demo now :)

The only way this could be better if it was Frank Miller's "goddamn batman"

The_Goddamn_Batman.jpg
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Elhrrah wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does Batman have a small head?
    I thought his arms looked a little huge.

Either way, I need to get someone to mail a copy to me. I think I'll get the PS3 version.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if Japanese best buys are having the same deal (obviously currency differences etc.) But I know for us (canada / us most likely as well) There is a sale, during the release week, Batman is $38, how could you go wrong with that?

DAY 1!!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It won't even be out here. So I gotta phone one home to the folks to mail it out.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can always get it on Steam. Forgot about that.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    There is a sale, during the release week, Batman is $38, how could you go wrong with that?

really!? in canada too? i saw the ad fot he states wall-marts but if its on up here too, thats gonna be amazing! cant wait for this game,

9.0 on GT
    9.3 on IGN

far better than I was expecting even after playing the demo, good to hear it stays fun all the way through.
    day 1 for me for sure.

edit: just checked the best buy site and sheit yea its on sale thanks for the heads up jason!
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Joker challenge map (free) DLC is already up on PSN too. Nice to know there won't be any waiting.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    GT reviews are always fail. Waiting for the Pc version.