• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Make sure you learn crazy bump :poly121:
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone, thank you soo much for participating and clearing the skies for me.
    My vision, learn as much as you can, and you'll be more flexible in creating whatever you wanna create. The problem is, its like going to the gym. If you stop practicing one thing you'll get rusted and forget it. I am going to upgrade my rig to a mega rig for this, learned a bit 3ds max, have xsi, but haven't tried it yet, dont have maya, i also got houdini, seems really complicated. Even learned Vue. Now the problem in one direction is always, how good do one program read another programs shit. And then you would always ask your self....would this have looked better if i had modelled this in this application rather than bringing it in from another program. If you look at sketchup ( yea yea ) been working on this program for 5 years, and i pushed it beyond its limits. See if say for architectural sake, model basic stuff in sketchup, bring it over say to max for touch ups and then to Houdini for some special effects, and render the animation in XSI, and touch ups on the animation on after effects, going with a workflow like this....is this really how its done for a nice production line of a animation? One would think are these programs so designed to communicate so well with each other that it could actually be one huge application.

I have learned the basics of max, but it seems so much like a dinosaur in what other programs can do in a click. If someone ask me build me a house, id build it in sketchup, and then bring it to another program to finish it off, where id think it would take twice as long to model in say max. This is a broad statement, maybe im wrong. Some programs just talk better to each other, problem is you need to find those programs lol. Guys thanks for all your comments. I really appreciates it. Still going to learn modo, but also want to see how good max and modo communicates.

Like for nice water animations, i looked at realflow and it works perfect with c4d, but how much good is it taking that mesh animation to say max for the final animation. Maya has its own water thing, so do other programs, it sometimes raise the question what program is the easierst to work water and render it. It kinda looks like in the industry its so far Maya, but ive seen a lot of super real looking water coming from realflow.

Maybe the main question is, how good to programs communicate with each other, and then look at those who communicate well that puch real hard in super real outputs, and make that your goal in life to learn, other than to learn 200+ programs and only finding 7 of them is essential and mix well together. To me its not about the job, its a hobby. To me its all about the final product, how real it looks and make myself proud what im doing.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    For animation id really go with (in order of preferance) Maya, XSI then MAX.

I say this because Maya has some supreme scripting built in, what i couldnt animate i could atleast have a good wack at with a few script ideas.
    But Im totaly in agreemant with the artist makes the tool work no matter, just in Maya you got a few cheats ready ;D
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    real men write .obj files with notepad
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior said it very well. But don't ever touch Maya.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, love the one your with.

Your new girlfriend (Maya) doesn't want to hear how awesome your old boyfriend (Max) was. Same goes for coworkers they don't want to hear it either. Even if they are kindred spirits they don't want to listen to the new guy moan about XYZ app for the first month.

When and if you ask how to do something in the other app, don't start or finish the conversation with "but in Max/Maya its so much easier, all you do is...". I thought you wanted to learn how to do it in this app? I didn't know you wanted to lecture me on how to use apps we aren't using. Can I put my headphones on now?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    Also, love the one your with.

Your new girlfriend (Maya) doesn't want to hear how awesome your old boyfriend (Max) was. Same goes for coworkers they don't want to hear it either. Even if they are kindred spirits they don't want to listen to the new guy moan about XYZ app for the first month.

When and if you ask how to do something in the other app, don't start or finish the conversation with "but in Max/Maya its so much easier, all you do is...". I thought you wanted to learn how to do it in this app? I didn't know you wanted to lecture me on how to use apps we aren't using. Can I put my headphones on now?

ach bollox, bringing ideas and workflows from one to the other makes up for the holes in their upbringing, if something was alot easier for you in the other package, then tell someone who doesnt have that issue and figure out a script or a work around/new workflow. dont sit their getting frustarted because your workmates dont want to know, it will help you and it can help them.

better to have an un-comfortable conversation about about technique with her than faking orgasms, could save the relationship. WTF an i talking about
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Why nobody mention Lightwave?!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because its lightwave? =D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    ach bollox, bringing ideas and workflows from one to the other makes up for the holes in their upbringing, if something was alot easier for you in the other package, then tell someone who doesnt have that issue and figure out a script or a work around/new workflow. dont sit their getting frustarted because your workmates dont want to know, it will help you and it can help them.

better to have an un-comfortable conversation about about technique with her than faking orgasms, could save the relationship. WTF an i talking about
    Yea its a good idea to bring it up, in the right way and if it will help.

Just don't bookend every conversation with a 10min rant that goes no where.
    It's the whining just to whine I have a hard time listening to.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    elte wrote: »
    Why nobody mention Lightwave?!
    Did they ever get around to recognizing edges as an element type in Lightwave? I remember everyone started talking about edge loops, Lightwave just didn't have it and nobody ever heard from them again. Somewhere during all of that a bunch of people who wanted to revamp the whole program left NewTek and made Modo.

It's too bad. Lightwave actually used to be my preferred program once upon a time--separate modeling/animation interfaces makes a lot of sense to me... Unfortunately not much else did. Imagine having to use only the viewcube in max because it's the only way to get a proper non-rolling orbit. I move to _Wings3d_ and it was an upgrade <.<
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I didn't know they still sold Lightwave. Lightwave was the only 3D program the college I attended had. And it didn't work most of the time because someone kept taking the bloody dongle. I am very glad that dongles are no longer required for software. Dongles are crap.

I know no one is else is likely to suggest Blender, so I'll go ahead and say it. Of course, I already know the best argument against learning Blender. The majority of game companies don't use it. So putting Blender on your resume probably won't make you any friends at a company you are applying to. (Sigh) Here's hoping the 2.5 revision will encourage more developers to get on board the Blender train.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    I dont think that would ever happen Rich, not because of the quality of blender, but purely because of how its being developed.

(Granted i could be chatting pure bs as ive never used Blender..)

From what i understand its a simple case of if blender goes wrong who do you turn to?
    Even in a game studio if they spend time actually adapting blender to there engine etc.. is it wise to just release that revision with more bug fixs and extras? especially if a lot of time was spent and invested on getting it upto speed.

Things can change though, perhaps Autodesk will drive everyone away, who knows..
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Most of the major commercial Blender projects I am aware of started out by putting a Blender developer on staff to make sure that they didnt run into any unfixable technical problems. From what I understand, one of the 'behind the scenes' goals of 2.5 was to untangle the code base so that programers without Blender experience could also fill this roll.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    LOL

If tools don't matter... then I would never have changed of program!!!!

Look at me, i have learned Max, Maya, Xsi and too many other programs like lightwave..., and i switched from Max/Maya to Modo years ago... :poly118:

Tools are very important, if not, just keep using old versions forever. Better tools = more artistic freedom. The smartest guys use the smartest tools, the "best weapons" :poly136:.

If you are learning modo, learn it because for modelling is one of the best so far, it's only as much a week of learning. You can also learn one of the main apps for production like Maya or Max. And don't worry about apps, if you use max, and in your new work they use maya, they will give you time to learn Maya, or in the better case, they will put you Max. It's not very common on these days to find a studio with only one 3d app...

+1 to pior's post

Why nobody mention houdini? ¬¬

PS. use ms paint for your texture work, you don't need more :poly142:
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi there
    I want to know if there is maybe a easy bone rigging program, easy learning curve ect.
    So far i have seen modo can take bone rigs, so if i can rig a model in a program, bring it back to modo, ill have one program handing the same mesh it was created in and using a bone structure.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @silver_shadow:

Sorry there's no bone or smooth skinning support in Modo, yet. For Modo to render out smooth skinned character animations you need to rig/animate in another app then export an .mdd file which stores vertex transformation data for each frame, not rig/bone data. Then import that .mdd file into Modo which then deforms your mesh frame by frame.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=33743