Home General Discussion

Which one is the best....

Hi guys and girls
Wanna know something, dont know if this was asked before, but what is the more preferable 3d application to model stuff in
Im learning modo 401 and it is awesome to me. Since people would say but it depends on what you want to use it for. But overall, what would be the better program to learn that can do those cool effects. Yes i also know its sometimes a combination of a couple, but surely the head artists in this forum has their prefs and dislikes on other apps. I thought modo is quite easy to learn and co do quite well in the 3d industry. Any thoughts?:)

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    doesn't matter what tool you use. A polygon is a polygon.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    You got Max, Maya, XSI, Modo, Lightwave, Cinema 4D, Blender and dozens of other smaller or less known apps around, and they all do pretty much same thing, just in slightly different way.

Theres studios using all of these, and you can use them all across all fields.

Which one to use? good question...learn them all maybe? or check out studios you like from games or films you like, and see what they use, and learn those. or download PLE or demo versions and check out which one suits you best.

At the end of the day, "its not the tool, its the artist" stands pretty true...
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooow, brilliant answer..
    Just bad that some apps cannot handle so many poly count, or can do this or that special effect, or this program animates easier than the other one, its always a mission to go through a lot of programs on the market and every time you hear of something new, you find out things are easier in this application to do the things you really want, so you turn out learning that again..and so on. Sometimes you look at a movie...and wonder..what program did they use...or is this all Maya? / Lightwave? / ect? its a interesting topic and one just wonders over how many applications do they jkump to make a proper movie ect.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    After using Maya, Max and Modo, all in production, my personal opinion is that Modo is unrivalled when it come to straight up modelling and UVmapping.
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how good is modo's animation capabilities...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    And here's where it goes downhill. :D
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo does not have smooth skinning so it's a no go for most character animation atm. However considering what they've already added to the 401 release I believe Modo will rock at character animation in the future.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max and Maya seem to be the most consistently popular packages in my experience. Use Max, it's more functional than Maya (straight out of the box, anyway). Use Maya if you're an animator.

That's how I see it anyway. Can I get a witness?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Use whatever you like. I switched from Maya to Max out of necessity and I'm enjoying it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is probably a troll thread trying to start the lame old camp war that just about every 3D art board is sick and tired of? But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and play along.
    At the end of the day, "its not the tool, its the artist" stands pretty true...
    I agree with your advice up to this point. Some programs clearly are easier to work with than others when doing specific tasks. While it could be entirely possible to arrive at the same end result, if it takes longer, educes carpal tunnel and makes the artists life hell, why use it? ... *cough* Blender-MilkShape-Rhino-Truespace *cough* ...

That really depends on what "stuff" your modeling? Organic or hard surface? Low poly or high? Deformable meshes or static?

There really isn't one app to rule them all because there is so much we need them all to do. Most dabble in the others specialties but sometimes you almost wish they didn't.

Most widely used in the industry and stands you a good chance of getting you hired?
    3dsmax and Maya: Specialize in one and dabble in the other so if you had to switch for a job you could easily get up to speed.

Silo: It is buggy but a big step forward as far as UI functionality goes. I say give it a go, and at the very least it will help you customize other apps to work a bit smoother. It does appear to be dying off tho so don't get too comfy with it.

Modo: I've not had much experience with this but I hear great things, but I hear bad things too...

Zbrush and Mudbox: Mudbox has usability going for it but lags behind ZB quite a bit and isn't as widely adopted.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    if you really want to read a thread about "this vs. that", just look around a bit, there are plenty of them.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    XSI >>>> Maya, in my opinion. They have all the same basic stuff, but I love doing everything in XSI a lot more than doing it in maya. The material manager is a lot better. Mental ray is integrated. Less bugs/glitches/crashes in my experience. Sub div modeling in XSI is amazing, and Its popular for animation too.
  • NAILMASK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAILMASK polycounter lvl 10
    Well, I'm pretty sick of the 3d package religious wars that go on at every studio I've ever worked at. They all are powerful tools. If you understand the principles behind modeling/texturing you should be fine in whatever you choose. I would suggest learning Max or Maya being that there is WAY more accessible knowledge on the net for these two.
    I am primarily a Maya man although I am not married to it. I've used it at every job I've had in film and in games and it gets the job done for me. My friends/coworkers in the industry swear on their mother's lives that Max is better for Environments (I am an Environment Artist) but I tell you that it really doesn't matter. I am just as fast as my friends that are masters at MAX. 3D is 3D the key is just understanding the basic principles, being open to trying new things, and tons of practice.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Go for Max or Maya, I'd say. Maybe other software is better, but that'll only make the eventual switch more of a pain. I had the hardest time trying to learn Maya, where I had to download a ton of scripts, found out that it's incompatible with pretty much every other version of the software, and was looking at an error window every hour.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Students at the school I used to go to would always continually say shit like "holy shit that's awesome, what program was that made in?" Every time they saw a 3d thing, the what program question followed. I didn't get it...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Milkshape is the best
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    There's probably a million threads just like this one.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Milkshape is the best

Fuck yeah, modeling one vertex at a time ftw
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    It's not the tool, it's the skill of the craftsman.

That about sums it up.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    bearkub wrote: »
    It's not the tool, it's the skill of the craftsman.

That about sums it up.

yea, till they release max 2011, with full on AI animating.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Except in Earthquake's case where the craftsman is a tool.
  • EarthQuake
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    "It's just a tool" is a pretty lame response to what the OP is asking.

Is your goal to get a job? Sure it is. I'd say go after the 3 most-used 3D tools: Max, Maya, and arguably XSI.

Online, you're going to find a lot more support for Max (especially if our Technical Talk forum is any indication). So far, every project I've ever worked on has been Max as well (about 5 in total) but in most cases we were able to pick our 3D package, regardless of the game. If you go to a studio to work in-house, chances are the team there will be using Package X, and won't say "You can use X or use what you're trained on, Y." It's not to say that's impossible to happen, its just unlikely.

I personally decided on Max simply because of the support I could find for it online. And now that I'm good with it, I'm looking in to branching out to try new tools which may cater to my modeling habits a little stronger.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I model in machine code
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I'd learn max and maya. Pick either to specialize in. That will cover the majority of job opportunities.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans wrote: »
    I'd learn max and maya. Pick either to specialize in. That will cover the majority of job opportunities.

and the universe will make sure your first job is the program you didn't pick. If you like Modo you should stick with it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Guess I'm in a different boat. I'd learn what the industry uses, not what I enjoy the most. Once I get the job and am working it, then I'd learn what I enjoy the most.

I only say this because, to me, getting a job to pay the bills > having fun modeling @ home. It just so happens that in most of our cases, the 2 are combined. The job we've got uses the same tools we use @ home.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Adam on this one. I think you open more doors if you're not a Diva demanding to use an app they don't. I'm sure some places might bend for someone who is an amazing artist but honestly not too many people starting out are at that stage yet.

Specialize in Max or Maya and dabble in the other.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe I haven't been looking, but I don't recall ever seeing a game industry job posting, at a reputable company looking for a Modo expert.

That doesn’t take away from it being great software, but personally I wouldn’t focus on it being my #1 software solution.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    OK, my post was kinda lame, let me clarify. What I meant more than anything was, don't learn or focus on just one. Learn a couple at a time. There are several benefits to this, first of all being that you don't pigeon-hole yourself into knowing one application and then get stuck having to speed-learn a new one because studio X uses the one you didn't specialize in. Learning max and maya at the same time with some modo and silo sprinkled around gives you a nice, well-rounded knowledge of the applications along with general 3D tricks and such along the way.

This will leave you to be a very marketable person.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Just use Max if you're starting out. Its the easiest to get into quickly. Lots of tutorials and plenty of companies use it.
  • dyf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyf
    nothing beats MS Paint
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Max, obviously.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why struggle with a program that's uncomfortable to you AND learn how to model at the same time?
  • rihotzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are learning modo, is perfect tool to start and stay lol, is really awsome tool and very cheap compared with others studios.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of people seem to be taking the 'just a tool' line the wrong way. It's not an excuse to find the one program you like and stick with it--just the opposite. The program is just a tool and you need to be able to work with whatever you're handed. You can still have favorites, but workflow is mostly subjective. Some of the worst 'workflows' for me are programs that refuse to adhere to some of the basic standards of control in the industry; they're not objectively bad, but subjectively you probably don't want to touch them with a ten foot pole (See: Blender, though 2.5 has the potential to be not-ass, I'll reserve judgement for now).
    wooow, brilliant answer..
    Just bad that some apps cannot handle so many poly count, or can do this or that special effect, or this program animates easier than the other one, its always a mission to go through a lot of programs on the market and every time you hear of something new, you find out things are easier in this application to do the things you really want, so you turn out learning that again..and so on. Sometimes you look at a movie...and wonder..what program did they use...or is this all Maya? / Lightwave? / ect? its a interesting topic and one just wonders over how many applications do they jkump to make a proper movie ect.

Please reserve the dismissive sarcasm for joke threads. And Blender ;)

For the most part, workflow is what's important, not any individual feature or this or that special effect. None of the fancy post-processing filters will make it into games anyway and poly count is more a function of purpose. Brute-force sculpting apps can handle the polygons required for their usage, other programs less so. Along those lines you'll find three 'kinds' of interchangable programs:

Major Applications: Max, Maya, XSI... okay, blender too... Modeling, animation, UV, materials, often physics and all sorts of crazy shit they decide to cram into them. The top three are also all owned by Autodesk now. You need to know one and at least know what's what with the others.

Sculpting Applications: ZBrush and Mudbox. Lots of people have added scultping into their toolsets (Silo, Max. Maya has technically had it since before ZBrush, but it's always SUCKED) but they usually won't handle the counts or have all the special tools for working with brute-force sulture, so ZBrush and Mudbox is it. ZBrush is one of those that ignores industry standards, if you can work it great, if not that's why they made Mudbox.

Special-use programs: Standalone modeling programs, UV programs, lighting and rendering programs. These all basically aim to take one thing other programs do and do it well. Cheap and useful. Programs like Silo, Wings, Roadkill, Marmoset, etc. It's entirely possible to have a job that can be done entirely in one of these programs, but you still need knowledge of a Major Application to stitch it all together.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    why struggle with a program that's uncomfortable to you AND learn how to model at the same time?

You're just starting out, all 3D apps will be uncomfortable.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I only use 3d software who's advertising pitch is 'The only limit is your imagination"
    follow me and you won't go far wrong
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    adam wrote: »
    You're just starting out, all 3D apps will be uncomfortable.

true! also Ive found that once youve learnt one app quite well the others seem to make more sense and you can learn them alot faster so its not so bad if you have to for example learn maya after your already pretty good at max. I started with max then went onto C4D at work and silo at home which I find more intiutive for the user but I still try to keep my max knowledge so that I can be useful in the industry.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like most of the others have posted, if your end goal is a job in the game industry then I would suggest learning Max or Maya above anything else.

Modo is a great modeler and from what I've been hearing great at UVs too, but most companies will prefer it if you can hit the ground running with whatever app they are using, which chances are is Max or Maya.

By all means if you find learning multiple 3d apps at the same time not too difficult, then keep on going with Modo in addition to one of the others. We could use some more Modo users around here ;)

In the end though it's your portfolio that will get you a job, not the apps you list on your resume.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember when the advice was "don't waste your time with Maya, it's a Max dominated industry".
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're looking for an industry job, I agree with general sentiment here: learn max or maya. You'll add more packages to your repetoir later, and you may have something you love (ie. silo or modo) to use at home, but stick to the main choices to make yourself more attractive to a studio.

That said, asking what package was used to create a specific model or effect is extremely amateurish and shows a general lack of understanding. It doesn't matter to anyone other than the marketing depts of each package developer.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't get why people say pick max or maya. XSI barely any different than maya, besides the UI layout and the keyboard shortcuts. Of course there's difference in tools and slight differences in work flows, but there pretty much the same.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You also have to take into account not just how the app works, but how it plugs into the pipeline.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Dekard wrote: »
    doesn't matter what tool you use. A polygon is a polygon.

QFT no need for this argument, learn to use a spade what you dig is irrelevant to the tool /s you use
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    "Specialize in Max or Maya and dabble in the other." -Vig

"You're just starting out, all 3D apps will be uncomfortable." - Adam

"Just use Max if you're starting out. Its the easiest to get into quickly. Lots of tutorials and plenty of companies use it." - Twilson

Yup, Yup, and it is true...

If you can't afford an Educational version of one of these two I would use a Free 3D application to start with because somthin' is better than nothin'!
    After all: "doesn't matter what tool you use. A polygon is a polygon."
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Okah here's my take on it (modelers perspective only)

To begin with I don't agree at all with "a polygon is just a polygon".
    Take a quad, extrude it, you get a nice straight cube right? Now imagine having to do the same, but only having controls on the individual verts, with no snapping, no move along normals, nothing. Well you still want to build the same object made of the same 5 faces, but it would take ages to get right. So no, not every program is equal when it comes to mesh editing. It was kindof all the same for lowpoly ingame stuff like a few years back (let's say, ps2 tech). But now that most of the time is spent doing high density source meshes, it's a whole different game. Many things can be done just fine in many different programs, but if the time taken to perform one task is muuuch longer in one app than in another, then it's good to consider learning the faster app instead.

Sadly, some technical artists dont know much about that side of "hardcore" modelling (and it's normal after all - modeling crazy detailled highpoly spaceships is NOT part of their job anyways) but as a consequence, they may still push for one app or another for pipeline reasons, instead of actual asset creation reasons. Honestly artists should be allowed to pick whatever they like the most (at the condition of the app not needing too much support from TA)

SO from the modelers perspective, I also disagree with 'use whatever the pipeline requires'. Xnormal can fit in any pipeline ( TAs can write the appropriate mesh exporter easily, if I understand correctly) and all it needs is raw OBJ on the highpoly side. Meaning that you can very well model highpoly meshes in Max, at a studio that use Lightwave or Maya in it's pipeline to plug in the actual game. Unreal can even get it's ingame stuff from maya, max and others thanks to actorX acting as a bridge too.

Anyways! Good luck. I'd say try out Max, it's easy. If you know Modo and Max, you would have no problem landing a job anywhere, no matter what app they use. Just don't focus too much on the technical side of things. Just know what you want to create, then figure out how to build it. Ideas first!

Post your stuff here too!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Learn what is most available to you. If you have friends or people you know that use software X, I suggest using that too so that you have other people to help you out with it. If you're in school or something, just use what you're taught and branch out later. If you are just going to learn on your own online I would specifically suggest max just for it's huge amount of online support. Whatever you have most available will be the easiest to learn and get started with. Hopefully it is one of the major packages and your knowledge will be applicable with other software.

The faster and easier you can learn one software, the faster and easier you will move on to another.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    In addition to the modeling apps, take some time to learn at least the basics of Mudbox or ZBrush, and Photoshop, maybe UVLayout, Topogun....

Fact is, if you hear about a program more than a few times in the course of browsing the interstates at least give it a cursory glance.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah but you can't build a cathedral with a hammer and chisel made from cheese:(
    lets face it most companies want max and maya skills these days.