Home General Discussion

3D Character artist VS Concept artist -.-

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    It takes time and dedication for us to do what we do too. 3D is a skill that takes time to master and is incredibly fast paced in the way we make the stuff. I know you know that.
    And any 2D artist can be taught to use a 3D app. Most cross over and mix it up in both, but favor 2D. Not so easy to go the other way if all you have is a handful of 3D app noodlin' knowledge.

You're assuming that knowing what buttons do when you press them will enable you to make the same art that someone who has artistic skill?

It's not the app learning that lands people jobs. It's the art they create.

So you honestly think that you should be paid more when you have less skills to offer?
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Someone's making a lot of enemies in the industry he wants to work in some day ...
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I lol'd out loud at your post. Learn to read. I said when you make diffuse and such it IS NOT the same as concept art. No, I'm not gonna qoute it. Look for it yourself.

And I'm going to quote you again....
    Well, Matabus. I can do texture but the thing is bugging the hell out of me is that to do is proffesionally I'd need to get a tablet.. and guess what? Thats the industry standard tool for creating 2D art. Do you see what I mean how we have to do 3D and know all the tech stuff aswell as painting!! which is basically the same as concept art... -.- ...

And I'm out because you're an idiot.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Your a 3D artist who gets paid more than a 2D artist?
    What do you think about the texturing thing? It just seems that texturing can be covered by a concept artist yet we have to do that aswell because we need nice looking models from our own textures on our portfolios.
    I was watching my mate ..simply doodle and paint on a tablet.. nice job.. seems pretty easy -.-
    Oh, look, us 3D guys have to model > detail > retopo > and bake textures.

I don't get what you are saying. I don't get paid more because my work is harder. I get paid more because It's easier FOR ME.
    I was being cheeky though, I really don't know what the 2d guys get paid. But I DO know I get free dinner if I stay late, and I MIGHT get a free copy of the game I am working on when it's done. Yeah I know right? It's pretty sweet, and I don't know if the 2d guys get as much OT Dinner as I do. So yeah Im a pretty big deal.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    LoM Chaos you are way too naive about this industry. stop asking dumb questions and post some work in P&P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's kinda funny, I had to do some icons recently and I found it easier to just model them out and do some touch ups in photoshop. 3D is easier! hah!

also I'd like to add that art is hard tech is easy
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    pangarang wrote: »
    Someone's making a lot of enemies in the industry he wants to work in some day ...

Eh, he's only 16. Plenty of time to change you interweb name and mend fences before it would matter.

In before the lock!
    ibtl-1.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    your questions give me a headache man. plus you say ... "we" as in youre in the industry and you have a problem with it. get a damn job and you'll see for yourself why.

concept guys have just as much work to do than we do if not more.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Why do the singers get paid the same amount as a guitarist?

Guitarists are the musicians! They're the ones that spent years learning the skills to play guitar! They do all the work! AND they do backup vocals!

Guitarists should be paid more than the singers.

<Sigh> So you are all saying singing can be music, but guitar isn't music, but background singing is?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    pangarang wrote: »

that's a weird thing to say. . .
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    all in all you should be less concerned with this and more concerned with improving your skills in whatever field you want to work in.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Nobody forces you to be a 3d artist. If you don't like the workload or tool requirements try being a '2d' artist. =]
    I've seen concept artists put way more time into their jobs than I've had to, and vice versa.
    I'm under no illusions that they have it any easier than I do though.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i read the entire thread ... hehe, it was funny.

i believe you seem to think that concept artists have an easy work, because they just doodle, while "you" have to model, unwrap and texture...

instead of arguing, why not make a experience..

Try make a concept art of a character...
    Then, model said character and texture it.

It, might give you a slight idea of the work involved in each professions.

Concepting is not as easy as you say.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    make sure said concept is at least 2,000 x 2,000 300 DPI as well
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure said concept is at least 2,000 x 2,000 300 DPI as well

si!

ah.. dont forget the lens flare
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    you've done really well kid. i would've expected the polycount community to have torn you two fresh new assholes by now
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really care. Not in the way that I don't care about what these guys are saying but I don't care for going all "emo" about it. I've made a fool of myself and I just can't be bothered with it so I left the thread. Close it if you wish.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hahaha didnt read the second page or so ill edit me post.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    This thread is pretty hilarious...

In the last 2 and a half weeks for my final project game at college ive made 33 concepts for 3 modellers to work off.
    Thats right, i have had to do 3 concepts to every one model that they have to make. And i dont really have time to go all emo about it and sit down and try and think about it. I have to jump straight into photoshop and make ideas that people consistently think are badass. You try getting a pencil and paper and draw something straight away that is badass, c'mon i dare ya.

Concept artists have to draw an amazing amount just to get anywhere, there is years of, nude life drawing, studying and painting to even get anywhere near a production level, Yet i learn't enough 3d to get me a job in a year? Alot of 3d work is grunt work, such as unwrapping, past a simple skill set that is just sitting there zombified flattening out shapes, you can turn off your brain and just chill.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that that's settled, lets bitch about the truly overpaid people: designers!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    You're looking at it from the wrong point of view.

You're looking at it from a point of view of people filling in positions, akin to a factory. Where everyone is just as competent to do a simple job.

You have to look at it from a point of view of careers and artists/craftsmen. We rarely choose our field of specialization, it often comes to us after a lot of hard work and practice. In the end, we are all artists working towards the same goal. The means by which we get there (tools) are meaningless.

You're trying to distill and classify the artistic field which is highly subjective and that's where you are getting confused.

I think your lack of understanding of the industry and lack of experience in the artistic field is clouding your judgment.

You should worry less about how much money you should be making and channeling that energy to become the best damn artist you can be. :)

Good luck !
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    16 years.. then why not learn to draw? It's not easy, but the work it's faster than 3D.

I do all myself, "from concept to final product". 3D artist sounds good, but 4x4 ARTIST sounds better ^^

funny thread hehe
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Even better to pick on, bad architecture previs guys. :/

They get a ton of money for really crappy jobs.

Hell i saw one in the city the other day where there were photoshopped people under a tree but he didnt modify thier lighting from direct sunlight -_-.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how bout them strippers?

they sure make a lotta dough..

sucks for the std's though'
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've made a fool of myself and I just can't be bothered with it so I left the thread. Close it if you wish.
    The best thing you've brought to the thread.
This discussion has been closed.