Home General Discussion

3D Character artist VS Concept artist -.-

Hey guys, this is gonna be a lenghty post but I need to get it off my mind and it's really annoying me when I think about it :

So I basically was thinking that us 3D artists have to do a shit load of work.
Very breifly : Base mesh > zbrush > retopo > texture

Texturing is where I'm getting pretty puzzled by. My mate just got a kick ass Intuous tablet today. He's a 2D artist and that is what triggered the problem. Why do us 3D artists have to Model in Max or Maya. Detail in Mudbox or Zbrush.. AND texture in photoshop. Isn't texturing something in PS something a concept/ 2d artist would do?

I mean they pretty much, as far as I know, sit on Photoshop and doodle away while we have an extensive array of tools which we need just to create entities (Characters or creatures or even hard surface models such as guns)..

I personally have a variety of tools that I need use : Max, Xnormal, Zbrush, Topogun, 3D coat... and ofc, Photoshop. I'm not complaining by any means that it's alot of work but seriously each and every one of these ...sections involved in creating a "Current gen" model usually take time.

My question is : (Very bluntly) Why do we have to go thru all that while concept artists just....draw and paint? 3D art is very techy and is really based on industry standards that we follow. Again, very bluntly, shouldn't we get paid more? (Yes, that is correct, I'm the sixsteen year old from Sketchbook section so I'm not exactly experienced) I just think it's a loud of BS that we have to actually have to use the 2D artists only workflow tool, PS, to create diffuse maps and all that other techy stuff such as spec and normal maps.

Replies

• John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    because it's a different role. A concept artist sits down and quickly comes up with ideas. they're in a creative state on a different level then that of a production artist

if you're a production artist, your job is to produce assets. a concept artist doesn't have that job. having them produce assets is soooortta a different psychological "mode." concept artists are good idea people. production work is largely a filling out, fully realizing, detail thing.

IMO they're different disciplines for a reason.

who should get paid more? i think they should get paid the same.. unless of course one has more experience relative to his or her field.

some concept artists, you may have noticed, are FUCKING. GOOD. some of the guys i worked with at relic deserve more money than me. it's just the way it goes.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    because it's a different role. A concept artist sits down and quickly comes up with ideas. they're in a creative state on a different level then that of a production artist

if you're a production artist, your job is to produce assets. a concept artist doesn't have that job. having them produce assets is soooortta a different psychological "mode." concept artists are good idea people. production work is largely a filling out, extrapolating, detail thing.

IMO they're different disciplines for a reason.

Yeah, I know that but does it seem to you we have a much greater workload? What do you think about the fact that we have to use their greatest tool (Photoshop) to create textures ONTOP of all the other stuff we need to do. Basically, I'm asking if we get a better salary. Sorry if this sounds really naieve and kidish but I'm really not sure.

Thanks for the reply.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    concept art and texturing are two completely separate entities which require pretty different skillsets, as similar as they might seem.

and it seriously isn't as easy as you seem to assume it is... 'they just use photoshop' .. uh..
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I guess it is but I mean how come we have to use a 2D artists work tool to create textures among the other things 3D artists have to do?

The thing I'm thinking is that we have to model and stuff but we have to texture aswell..which can be covered by a texture artist.

I guess concept art is not the same as texture art and the reason I think that is because there are industry standards for texturing but not so much for concept art.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    if you're doing it for the money become a designer :-P
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MY QUESTION, AGAIN : Does a 3D artist get a better salary? I think if I have that answered it will make more sense. I feel that we have to do alot of work already on top of texturing our models.. and what if we can't texture and paint?
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, what good are concept artists anyway, who needs a concept? Just go off the shit in your head, works every time.

Sarcasm aside. First of all I think you are missing the importance of a concept art in a production pipeline.
    Secondly, who says concept artists don't texture? also who says you can't make your own concepts. If you answer that you lack the skill to, then I think you answered your own question.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    concept artists have to be creative on a regular basis and that in itself is tough to do.

They do the planing out of how things are going to look so 3d modelers don't have to, or at least have a good sense of what direction to take that particular piece in.
    Sure if your good as a traditional artist, making concept art is faster then doing the whole process of making a model, but then again concept artists usually have to make tons of iterations of things before they even get accepted.
    As far as I know most artists, concept, environment or character get paid in the same range. There isn't much of a difference, because they are all close to equal in importance.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    And you have just resigned yourself to being a shitty 2d artist?

You should try and strive to be a well rounded artist all the way from the foundations to the sculpting in zed brush, not assume you are worth more money because your job is tough.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do I honestly have to copy and paste my original question for the second time? I know what a concept artist does.
    Fine, timwiese. If they get paid the same why do we have to sit and do a billion times more work than them... and texture ASWELL.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus wrote: »
    And you have just resigned yourself to being a shitty 2d artist?

That made no sense mate.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SO BASICALLY : We have to do a shit load more work than them and they get paid the exact same. Makes no sense what so ever.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Again, very bluntly, shouldn't we get paid more?
    I do.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Apologies if I'm repeating points.

Skillsets don't purely equate to what applications you are proficient in. A good concept artist should have an excellent understanding of anatomy, proportion, composition, tone, colour, design, biology, architecture etc etc. You could very easily argue that the relative lack of 'technical knowledge' needed to be a concept artist is more than balanced out by all the other skills that are fundamental to doing the job well. Both positions have their difficulties, but the ability to constantly create new ideas and iterate on them as required can be very taxing.

Also, the idea that concept artists 'only use Photoshop' doesn't ring true; artists like Hawkprey are leading the way with their combination of 2d and 3d concepts and I see more and more previs work being done in Zbrush.

So yeah, speaking as someone who works in both disciplines, I think they deserve to get equal pay. Just because someone is getting to draw a crazy spaceship while you lay out your uvs doesn't mean they haven't earned their wage.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    SO BASICALLY : We have to do a shit load more work than them and they get paid the exact same. Makes no sense what so ever.

guess what, animators and programmers get paid more too! nanny-nanny-poo-poo
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't like it, don't do it.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    I do.

Your a 3D artist who gets paid more than a 2D artist?
    What do you think about the texturing thing? It just seems that texturing can be covered by a concept artist yet we have to do that aswell because we need nice looking models from our own textures on our portfolios.
    I was watching my mate ..simply doodle and paint on a tablet.. nice job.. seems pretty easy -.-
    Oh, look, us 3D guys have to model > detail > retopo > and bake textures.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was assuming that when you asked "what if we cant texture or paint?", you were referring to yourself.

If that is the case, you may want to practice.
    And also, concept artists are generally paid less I am fairly certain. It really depends on the studio and experience of either team of artists. Also there are studios where an artist will do the whole gambit; concept, model, sculpt, texture.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    We don't do more work, we do the same amount of work. Should the guy who writes tools gets paid more than the guy who 'just' does the network code? Cos you know, network code is just about networks, and the tools guys have to deal with tools for models and textures and animation and sound.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Matabus. I can do texture but the thing is bugging the hell out of me is that to do is proffesionally I'd need to get a tablet.. and guess what? Thats the industry standard tool for creating 2D art. Do you see what I mean how we have to do 3D and know all the tech stuff aswell as painting!! which is basically the same as concept art... -.- ...
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    If you feel its a billion times more work then don't do it.

I personally would rather do the extra work, than try and be the "idea guy" for everything. Concept artists have a lot of weight on their shoulders since most the ideas have to come from them.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what to tell you man. If it annoys you, you may want to think about another line of work.
    Personally I enjoy the painting phase MORE than the modeling phase.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    you think making 3d characters is techy try being a leveldesigner for a year or so and than come back and talk :D
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. We have to PAINT aswell as all the other stuff. It just doesn't make sense why we have to do a 2D arty thing aswell. But yeah, I have said that a billion times already.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard the industry will be balancing the jobs in the next patch so don't worry
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MY QUESTION, AGAIN : Does a 3D artist get a better salary?
    One that can't texture, is probably going to make less than one that can, or at least have a harder time finding work.

2D artists have a skill set that not everyone can quickly grow in a few weeks. While noodling around in a 3D app seems highly technical at first, just about every one can be taught to use it.
    I feel that we have to do a lot of work already on top of texturing our models.. and what if we can't texture and paint?
    Then you're really asking, do I have a chance of landing an artist position when I'm not an artist? The answer is yes, but its hard. The competition is pretty stiff and you're easily replaced by lots of other people in the same boat. Not really a recipe for big pay checks.

I think you're confusing artistic skill with knowledge of a particular 3D app. Technical knowledge doesn't trade on the open market like artistic skill.

So without having the artistic skill, you can find work. But you're easily replaced or possibly even automated by someone else.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Well, Matabus. I can do texture but the thing is bugging the hell out of me is that to do is proffesionally I'd need to get a tablet.. and guess what? Thats the industry standard tool for creating 2D art. Do you see what I mean how we have to do 3D and know all the tech stuff aswell as painting!! which is basically the same as concept art... -.- ...

I feel that your experience of what a professional concept or 3d art position actually entails must be fairly limited. Being able to create textures does not mean that you would automatically be a concept artist. Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to bump into Matabus and I'm going to say "sheesh, you get a load of the Lom kid" and he's going to roll his eyes and say "why do I even bother"

that's a sneak peak behind the curtains
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Then you're really asking, do I have a chance of landing an artist position when I'm not an artist? The answer is yes, but its hard the competition is pretty stiff and you're easily replaced by lots of other people in the same boat.

So your saying 2D artists can be JUST ARTISTS while we have to be a modeller and then you mean to say that the ARTIST part for us is texturing?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel that your experience of what a professional concept or 3d art position actually entails must be fairly limited. Being able to create textures does not mean that you would automatically be a concept artist. Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually.

You might want to re-read the fact that I'm only sixteen and the fact I wrote above something like: I know texture artists aren't concept artists because they have to follow specific things..

Such as : Unwraps and map types. Which are sort of an industry standard thing.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    LoM Chaos, with all due respect, your posts carry enough ignorance to sink a spaceship.

It might take you weeks to complete your 3D character, while it would take a few days for a concept artist to produce a finished painting. But at the end of the day, you have some dude on a pedestal. In a fraction of the time, the concept artist has captured character, mood, layout through lighting, composition, environmental and character design.

During the time it takes you to work on your character (sans animation, might I add), a concept artist has come up with designs for props, characters, environments, vehicles, maybe even produced some promotional paintings or portraits used for the HUD.

Suddenly its not so hard to see why concept artists are as valued as 3D artists.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15

i've seen plenty of 3d artists kick ass without a tablet... like JFletcher who is on here.....he JUST now is getting a tablet.

practice and you'll find you may actually like it... what's wrong with getting in touch with your artistic side?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    So your saying 2D artists can be JUST ARTISTS while we have to be a modeller and then you mean to say that the ARTIST part for us is texturing?

Dude... do you even think about your questions before you ask them?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangarang, I see what you're saying man. It makes sense.

Oh dear, I've played the ignorant kid who hasn't got a clue today haven't I? -.-
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to bump into Matabus and I'm going to say "sheesh, you get a load of the Lom kid" and he's going to roll his eyes and say "why do I even bother"

that's a sneak peak behind the curtains

you always make me giggle :thumbup:
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert!!! come on man...

So your saying 3D modelling isn't art and texturing is? You can't say that you didn't say that because you said "practice and you'll find you may actually like it... what's wrong with getting in touch with your artistic side?"

HOW IS 3D NOT ART? Your saying 2D art is the ART side...what the?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    high-five. I was going to post "I hope years down the road you'll be embarrassed by this thread" but you're showing progress already.
    *sagely nods*
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    christ dude, quit whining and learn how to do fucking traditional art, and if you don't want to draw or paint, try your hardest to find a 3D Modeler job, not 3D Artist job. it's part of the territory, deal with it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    you always make me giggle :thumbup:

that's cuz you're ticklish down there
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <Sigh> So you are all saying 2D art can just be art but 3D isn't art but TEXTURING is?.....
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert!!! come on man...

So your saying 3D modelling isn't art and texturing is? You can't say that you didn't say that because you said "practice and you'll find you may actually like it... what's wrong with getting in touch with your artistic side?"

HOW IS 3D NOT ART? Your saying 2D art is the ART side...what the?

hahahahahahahahaha... i didn't say that 3d art is not art... you just kept ranting on and on about how "technical" it is and that 2d is "painting", which would lead me to believe that you see 3d as not art and 2d as art... you do the math

i can give you a shovel if you would like, but you seem to be doing just fine.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm saying that a 2D artist can be taught to do your work in few weeks. For you to do his/her job it requires much more training and the chances that you give up long before its complete are pretty high.

This gives them a clear advantage and broader skill set. Making them more valuable.

They get paid to do 2D not because they can't do 3D, but because it takes dedication and a lot of time to do what they do. Often the get to choose between 2D and 3D and many mix it up as they see fit.

Someone who is heavily reliant on knowledge of how a 3D app works does not have the luxury of crossing back and forth. Their 3D ART WORK suffers as a result.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i'm a 3D artist. Stop telling me what i do for a living.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    I was watching my mate ..simply doodle and paint on a tablet.. nice job.. seems pretty easy -.-
    Oh, look, us 3D guys have to model > detail > retopo > and bake textures.

sry to be mean, but that is just one of the most ignorant thing i heard from any artist.

if u think concept artists have it easy and they still get paid the same then what is stopping you from not doing the same ?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I generally found concept artists to be quite thin on the whole, character modellers/texture artists a bit fatter and environmental artists to be real porkers.
    it's all to do with how much you have to leave your seat to ask stuff
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I'm saying that a 2D artist can be taught to do your work in few weeks. For you to do his/her job it requires much more training and the chances that you give up long before its complete are pretty high.

This gives them a clear advantage and broader skill set. Making them more valuable.

They get paid to do 2D not because they can't do 3D, but because it takes dedication and a lot of time to do what they do.

It takes time and dedication for us to do what we do too. 3D is a skill that takes time to master and is incredibly fast paced in the way we make the stuff. I know you know that.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10

So you're telling me that...if you can color in the UV's you can make concept art? It doesn't work that way homie. You don't NEED to buy a tablet...it would be easier on you if you did...I mean...you still would need a tablet to do 3d things..like uhh...gee I dunno...ZBRUSH? Try using a mouse for that shit, you won't get nowhere.

It really just sounds like you're angry cuz you can't afford a wacom tablet.

In the end you're going to have to learn how to paint textures...in Photoshop...with the use of a tablet...unless you want to sit there and manualy lower or raise your brush size and opacity.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're telling me that...if you can color in the UV's you can make concept art? It doesn't work that way homie. You don't NEED to buy a tablet...it would be easier on you if you did...I mean...you still would need a tablet to do 3d things..like uhh...gee I dunno...ZBRUSH? Try using a mouse for that shit, you won't get nowhere.

It really just sounds like you're angry cuz you can't afford a wacom tablet.

In the end you're going to have to learn how to paint textures...in Photoshop...with the use of a tablet...unless you want to sit there and manualy lower or raise your brush size and opacity.

I lol'd out loud at your post. Learn to read. I said when you make diffuse and such it IS NOT the same as concept art. No, I'm not gonna qoute it. Look for it yourself.
This discussion has been closed.