Home Technical Talk

ATI + Maya

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
So i think of getting a new graphicscard and ATI gives some nice punch for a good money. But i "fondly" remeber how darn bad Maya worked on my Radeon 9800 Pro back then..., like graphical errors in the painttools or the super slow viewport. So question in short is ATI fine with Maya now or should i better save my money for something from nVidia ? How is it overall performing for people here ?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The truth is that nothing other than Quadros and.. Firegl? cards are support officially by maya. Which is a crock of shit! That said, i think nvidia cards are a bit more stable with it than ati.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    NEVER, I repeat, NEVER use ATI and Maya!!!1one
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    NEVER, I repeat, NEVER use ATI and Maya!!!1one
    QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    go nvidia man... so much better in maya.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Can't agree more.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd rather spear my balls with fish hooks and swing from a flag pole than use Maya with ATI. I had a bitch of a time with my old Radeon and I hear things haven't gotten any better. But I did skip a few versions and started using Nvidia and not had nearly as many video card related issues that I once had. 100x better.

It might be a different story now, and if you're brave enough to go down that road I'd like to hear how it turns out.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, our technical director here uses an ATI Radeon 4850 and Maya is perfectly fine with it.

Also, we have had a lot of viewport glitching/flickering issues with the NVidia GeForce range. That said, I'm using an 8800 here with Maya 2008 and it's fine.

Basically unless you go for the highest of high-end cards, you're running a risk.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for all the opions so far i planned on getting an Radeon HD 4890, for games i only heard good things about this card (if you count out GTA 4) but on Maya well my friends dont mess with such stuff. But so far most people here give a clear no against ATI, so i might better stick with nVidia after all.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly whatever nvidia card that is in the same price range as the 4890 will run any game you throw at it just fine.

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150387

Is going to run every game you have flawlessly, crysis included.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ATI driver sets over the past couple years have fixed/broken things in Maya in the strangest ways, and always makes me cranky. I can't wait to get my rotate tool back. (which will probably result in a borked up UV editor again)
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I fucking hate the way ATI cards work in Maya, which is one of the reasons why I'm switching to learning Max. Every graphical problem I had with Maya seemed to have something to do with the variety of drivers I've tried (Radeon 4870 here).

For games it's great. But if you plan on doing games + 3D...for god sakes go Nvidia.

Kind of sucks because I spent $170 on this card and can't really afford to change it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Once again, let me say that NVidia gaming cards also display several graphical errors in Maya.

In general it's most likely driver issues, but as I say, I know several people who use ATI cards with Maya and have no problems at all, and I know many people who use Maya with NVidia cards who suffer from large amounts of graphical glitches (viewport redraw problems, UV editor disappearing, viewports randomly redrawing in the wrong place - I've seen the Perspective view get drawn in the timeline before!).

I would be very wary of any non-Autodesk approved graphics card in Maya, which is a big shame.

The full compatibility charts from Autodesk can be found here:
    http://download.autodesk.com/us/qualcharts/2009/maya2009_qualifiedgraphics_win.pdf

If the graphics card you own is not on that chart, then be prepared to potentially suffer issues with Maya's viewports, sucky ass things that they are :)
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    True, but my 7600GT ran Maya like a dream with no driver issues or anything. Pretty sure I was using the same old-ass drivers for like 8 months with that card.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, like I said, my 8800 works fine with Maya, even though it's not listed as certified.
    That's no guarantee that if I update my drivers, something will be messed up.

Also if you don't use a "certified" card, then you can't go to Autodesk and complain, because they can just say "well, your card wasn't on the list, so you shouldn't expect it to work perfectly!".

Obviously getting a high-end workstation card isn't practical for game artists since usually their in-game performance is not great even if their 3d app performance is better. Autodesk should really just try to make a more stable viewport, and NVidia/ATI need to test their gaming card range on Maya / Max.
    But that's not going to happen, haha!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i had an atx400 once a long time ago that was buttfuckign maya quit hard never again
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    Meh I have an ATI Radeon 4850 and it works beautifully with Maya, the NVidia cards we have at school hate on Maya constantly :/ (Viewport won't update until you resize the window or minimize/maximise the window)

I've never had problems with my ATI card in Maya though :P
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Never ever use ATI with Maya - the drivers suck and there's usually no end to the problems.

nVidia all the way!

BTW anyone ever having any problem with an nVidia card, use this:
    MAYA_GEFORCE_SKIP_OVERLAY=1

put it in your Maya.env file. That will clear up any problems with non-quadro cards (which are a total fucking ripoff)

• Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel scared all of a sudden...I have an ATI and use Maya, and I have never had any problems. Let us hope for the best! :P