Home Technical Talk

inset letters

Thought I would make a new thread for this because I didnt want to clog up MOP's game art ws thread.
Well I was trying to create some inset lettering on this object
theobject1.jpg

I was attempting to use MOP's method of applying a sweep and creating my own profile line and ran into a few problems I can create the profile fine and get it applied to the text , but I can't seem to get the text to close the shape on the interior. I can add an edit poly modifer to the stack and just create or cap the wholes, but I think there is a better way from the looks of everyone elses. If so what is it?
text1.jpg
Also, How do I inset the text into the object above? Do I punch a hole in the side, match up the verts and weld it in, or is there a better way? This one maybe obvious to others but I haven't done this before in max since I have been doing organic characters for so long now.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the edit poly modifier on top of the stack option is fine, you can always delete it and redo the seams if you need to make changes.

As for the inset you just hover it like other floaters. When the projection happens it will look at the pieces more or less straight on and not be able to tell one is floating above the other.
    ProjectionMissedRays.jpg
    Some times you need to exaggerate the bevel/slope to get something to even be picked up at all. The closer to 90 degrees the angles are the higher the chances are that it will miss the edges and read it as flat.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this piece is intended to printed in 3d, so I kind of need it to be an integrated part of the mesh with perfect smooth. Can't have any floaters or simulated geo for the print. No normal map will be generated for this, so would I still use a projection? I could possibly use projection master in zbrush and bring back into max but I kind of want to do it in max if possible
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh 3D printing... that changes things quite a bit. That depends if the mesh needs to be water tight or not. By that I mean one continuous mesh with no holes. If that is the case you'll probably need to create solid letters and boolean them into or onto the mesh. If you're using 3dsmax, make sure to use proBooleans it still makes a mess but not half as messy as regular booleans. You can also go in and edit the shapes.

There might be another way to do it but I haven't found it yet.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya sorry forgot to mention the 3d print part and yes it does have to be water tight. I will try the booleans then, thanks vig
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well tried the boolean method but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work. So then I tried to do a displace map, but the polycount required to get the result I wanted was to much to bare. So I ended up taking a more direct approach and thought I would share my method for others. If someone sees a way I could simplify it please let me know.

Anyway;
    I used the sweep technique to produce the letters like the ones above; capped the interiors. Converted it to an edit poly and created more polies between the faces of the letters and extended the letter edges out. Squared it up and optimized the edges.

AJT.jpg

I then detached the face from the main mesh the I wanted to align the letters to. Aligned it to the face. I then added edge loops to the face to match the edges of the letter object. Deleted the faces, so that i had the edges with just the verts.

Then attached the letters object to the face and target welded the verts of the letter object to the detached face. Then optimized the number of verts on the edge.

I then Reattached the face to the main object. Made the appropriate edge loops on the main mesh to integrate the face back in. I then smoothed it and I think it turned out pretty good.

AJTinsetwires.jpg

AJTinset.jpg
    The only thing I wish I could still do is edit the curve used to make the sweep, but I didnt see anyway to keep it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That works too, probably a little cleaner then booleans =)

NIce!