Home General Discussion

Crazy idea. Monthly community tutorial-workshop.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc wrote: »
    could also be neat if it was setup so the focus was on a work flow, rather than a specific object. that way you not only get to see how different artists tackles certain work flows (lets say normal baking for example) but also how it applies to different assets (organics, in-organics)

I think this will be accomplished moreso by doing a new workshop regularly, than by giving people total free-reign to do whatever the like. Not to say this shouldn't be an option for some workshops, but you sort of loose that compartive-ness if each workshop people are allowed to do thier own thing, and then its just... Well then its just the pimping section of the boards. =P

Just a heads up, we're working on getting this set up officially and should have the first "workshop" up soon. We'll also have some official threads for discussion, and topic suggestions as well.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :( i could do rocks aswell. :(
    im so underappreciated :(
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Just a heads up, we're working on getting this set up officially and should have the first "workshop" up soon. We'll also have some official threads for discussion, and topic suggestions as well.

I guess I better join the "workshop" then... or I will dishonor my family greatly. Hehe :)
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    I guess a character uv mapping and texturing (mostly skin ) tutorial would be good haha ;)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess a character uv mapping and texturing (mostly skin ) tutorial would be good haha ;)

dont forget that the purpose of this workshop is not to make tutorials on demand..
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, i made it seem i was after this tutorial xD I just mentioned it as i havent seen many tutorials covering it to be honest, so it would be a good addtion. :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    to reiterate as simply as possible since it seems some people might be confused, the goal of this is to compare workflows with one another. how does person a accomplish this vs person b, and what beneficial things can we learn from this
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to chime in to say this idea is great. If we've only got two weeks though, lets try to keep the projects nice and small. I've got zero time during the week (gym before work, then sometimes overtime after... means 7:45-7:45 days usually), and I want one day off especially in the summer. So a two week project would mean two days of work from me, at best :(.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah if it could fashioned to take about an after work evening or a weekend at most im sure there would be ALOT more take-up, if theyre made concise enough it shouldnt be too much of a problem,

i can think of alot that would take one evening, esp if SDks/ assets were used from previous workshops.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry, i made it seem i was after this tutorial xD I just mentioned it as i havent seen many tutorials covering it to be honest, so it would be a good addtion. :)

Luke, it isn't a series of tutorials. It's people posting and sharing workflows and techniques, you shouldn't expect to see a nice free tutorial for you every 2 weeks.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ok in order to further elaborate on what I had in mind at least was some simple to somewhat complex objects like car tires (treads and such) and screws. I would LOVE to see how others make a high poly screw as that's one of things I've had the most trouble with in making my high poly guitars, though they're small enough for no one to see or notice I like it to be spot on. getting the smoothing right is very difficult for the ones I've tried.

so basically I'm imagining little bits and bobs for the most part, but nothing here should take more than 2-3 hours ideally.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    This sounds like a great idea. Definitely keep it short. There are a ton of little projects that can be done in an hour or so that would be hugely beneficial in terms of learning new work flows.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Very cool! I'm for this!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just chiming in to say that this is an awesome idea. Could even roll over the workshops like said so one week is modelling an object, then maybe taking the overall best 3 and putting them up for download and the next week would be texturing it and seeing everybodys various techniques etc.

So many options, awesome idea.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I love the idea, especially if it was made open ended.
    Let's say that the goal could be to "Model a hammer"
    but the style of the hammer would be up to the creator. This would show us both workflow and the individual's take on the given subject.
    I would love that
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, we've created a new sub-forum in Tech Talk, and started the first workshop.

Please click your internet rodent over to this here: http://boards.polycount.net/forumdisplay.php?f=59
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool idea.
    moose wrote: »
    the one thing i think the idea of this should stray away from however are videos. Video tutorials are nice, but seem to be a bit much.
    I don't think they should be tossed out all together somethings are very helpful when they're shown in that format. However I strongly agree that they should be discouraged. I've always gotten a lot more out of text tutorials and they have always been more useful later on as they are easier search, skim over for that one specific step you're forgetting and of course save offline.

With video tutorials when I watch them I feel like I have to take notes. If I have to translate a video tutorial into text just for it to be useful then it probably should have been text in the first place.

Text also forces you to think about the process and document it. Probably ending up in a better tutorial.

Nothing's worse then watching the same 30s of video trying to follow a fuzzy mouse cursor around a tiny screen while someone nose whistles heavily into a mic AND does the same thing 3 times until they finally get it right.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Alright guys, we've created a new sub-forum in Tech Talk, and started the first workshop.

Please click your internet rodent over to this here: http://boards.polycount.net/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    Not even a thank you? Aaaw :(

Hehe. Anyway. Cool shit. I´m gonna jump in after work.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke, it isn't a series of tutorial. It's people posting and sharing workflows and techniques, you shouldn't expect to see a nice free tutorial for you every 2 weeks.
    Sorry, misunderstood. I think the title got me 'Monthly community tutorial-workshop'.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not even a thank you? Aaaw :(

Hehe. Anyway. Cool shit. I´m gonna jump in after work.

Hey dude its such a great idea that i just wanted to get it implimented as quick as possible! No disrespect intended. Now get over there and start contributing!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now i feel fuzzy again.

Also. Contribution added. My eyes are fried now. Much screenstaring today. :)