Home General Discussion

Crazy idea. Monthly community tutorial-workshop.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
This idea probably blows hard buuuut... at least i´m putting it out there for you. I just hope i can make myself understood.

What if we had a workshop every now and then where we get a vehicle / item / concept / whatever and everybody has to follow it.

Wouldn´t this be a perfect chance to see other peoples workflows, gain techniques and generally get alot of help from others that are trying to do the same thing as you are. At least i think so. (And it would be interesting to see the different end results)

Maybe wouldn´t be as fun if a whole community went at it due to the variation issue. Maybe if there was a few characters or vehicles that you could pick from

Eh i dunno.... Sooo.... anyone understand what i´m getting at here?

Replies

• keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    i know exactly what you mean. i think conceptart.org has something like this. not a bad idea. would be interesting to see some other replies.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm going to restate what you just said, because I think it's a great idea. I mean it's basically like reading a tutorial but from multiple users:

Every month, someone names a prop. the idea here isn't like normal where we just build and submit it, but we actively take note of the steps we took to reproduce said object, then compare and contrast our techniques with each other, with the hope being a greater understanding of different potential methods used to create something
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bounch: Exactly. I´m a bit scatterbrained at times. Cheers mate. :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i support this thread
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    same i would love to do something like this!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a really cool idea, I dig it. :)

Maybe we all , or whoever would be able to, could use the same recording software and save out videos so others can see our exact workflow. Then just have them run at like 1.5x speed or something so they don't have to suffer through it all.

Or just take a screenshot and post some notes about how you did a certain part of the model or whatever.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I like it! Would totally be on board for something like this.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to say this is a good idea, and that tenatively we may be able to do this. I'll check with some of the other guys and see how much time would be involved. Bitmap and me have discussed this exact idea before, so maybe he would be willing to take charge and run it.

Feel free to give some suggestions on format, organization or anything else. Like who decides what to model, what is required, etc.

One thing i would like to propose, is mandatory, or atleast to very much encourage asset sharing(obj etc). This would do two things: give a very easy way for others to offer advice on you work, and give some very good examples for others trying to learn.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Sounds brilliant, would love to see how you artists go about it.
    Besides arent there a bunch of video recorded concepts on youtube etc? Something simialar would be cool to just see something form ;)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It sounds nice, but the cynical side of me wonders whether talented artists want to spend quite a lot of time working on a personal piece that they didn't conceive of themselves...
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Asset sharing's a good idea, EQ. I'm for that. Nevercenter forums have had weekly sessions for a few months now, too, which I thought was kind of weird because it's a low-population forum - but there's participation going on, so that's cool.

For PC sessions, I'd personally rather it not be a competition with winners or anything like that. Making it monthly rather than weekly is interesting, because it might allow for more in-depth projects. Maybe provide some concept or photos by whomever, just for inspiration, to go along with a prompt or keyword to allow people to make their own thing?

And include in the per-topic "what is required" section vague terms of stuff like, a face, something mechanical, something with wheels, something with wings. Then it can be a focused exercise on a specific sort of thing, and if any participant wants to expand upon their contribution they can just do so at their leisure.

Either way, I'd be more interested in something that isn't necessarily a speed-based competition, and think more people might participate in that..? And as usual for these sort of things, there could be a topic suggestions thread. Maybe for a month-long topic, have a few mini-topics (within the same thread) that can be either treated as individual studies or incorporated into the main theme. Like if the topic was bicycle, the mini-topics might be wheels with spokes, threaded nuts and bolts, muddy inorganics, that sort of thing. Basically, like GA's mini-comps organization wise, but instead of being themed art comps, provide challenge-based deep exploration of a topic.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I support this idea fully. And will offer any support I can on my end
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I think this is a fantastic idea.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    this could be cool, id try to do some stuff if the need arose
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    It sounds nice, but the cynical side of me wonders whether talented artists want to spend quite a lot of time working on a personal piece that they didn't conceive of themselves...

Yeah i agree, i think we need to focus it to short, simple excersizes, not full on projects. Like model a portion of an engine, or a basketball shoe, or a cool door. Etc, things like that.

Vrav wrote: »
    Asset sharing's a good idea, EQ. I'm for that. Nevercenter forums have had weekly sessions for a few months now, too, which I thought was kind of weird because it's a low-population forum - but there's participation going on, so that's cool.

For PC sessions, I'd personally rather it not be a competition with winners or anything like that. Making it monthly rather than weekly is interesting, because it might allow for more in-depth projects. Maybe provide some concept or photos by whomever, just for inspiration, to go along with a prompt or keyword to allow people to make their own thing?

And include in the per-topic "what is required" section vague terms of stuff like, a face, something mechanical, something with wheels, something with wings. Then it can be a focused exercise on a specific sort of thing, and if any participant wants to expand upon their contribution they can just do so at their leisure.

Either way, I'd be more interested in something that isn't necessarily a speed-based competition, and think more people might participate in that..? And as usual for these sort of things, there could be a topic suggestions thread. Maybe for a month-long topic, have a few mini-topics (within the same thread) that can be either treated as individual studies or incorporated into the main theme. Like if the topic was bicycle, the mini-topics might be wheels with spokes, threaded nuts and bolts, muddy inorganics, that sort of thing. Basically, like GA's mini-comps organization wise, but instead of being themed art comps, provide challenge-based deep exploration of a topic.

First off, i think the format should be not one of a competition at all, but moreso of just general workflow sharing. It will be all about sharing the process, with a focus oh how to create, not what you're creating. So you'de stick with something very specific to model. Now i'm sure this isnt going to be something that interests everyone, but a casuall interest is all that would be needed, even just a few people could provide some good information for the entire forum. I dont think you need to look at this being succesful in terms of how many people participate in it, but moreso the quality of what is being show by those who do(and by quality i dont mean asthetically, i mean in terms of knowledge and information).

Now i see leaving it open to interperation giving up some of that valuable "see how he did it" learning environment, the more loose the subject is, the more abstract everything gets and it could just turns into a contest of who thinks of the craziest thing within the criteria. I think we have enough of those with the various challenges and contests that we/others run.

How i see this in essence is sort of an interactive "how u model dem shapes" where everyone/anyone can do some real hands on participations and share their workflows, and learn new ones as well.

As far as time goes, i think shorter is going to be better, the nature of this being entirely for study, instead of a competition is going to lend itself to people getting bored with a longer more drawn out format. How many people finished dom war, of those who started? And that had prizes and shit. =)

I think we should go with a weekly, or bi-weekly format to keep things fresh, and try to maximize interest from the entire comunity.

On the other hand we may be able to experiment with doing some in "stages" ie: 1 week for HP, 1 week for low+ uvs, 1 week texturing, etc etc those are some things we could consider, but i would keep it more simple to start.

[edit] On the idea of stages, something cool that will add a bit of competition for those who seek it, could to have a few stages, and pick a winner of each stage.

So you have everyone do a HP/low/bake
    And the best model goes onto texture stage(by public vote)
    Then everyone gets to texture the winning model

This would actually be a much bigger pain, and probabbly not nearly as good as it sounds in practice, even just considering different software. But its something to think about. If anyone has any more ideas along these lines i'de be really interested in hearing them.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. Though what about bi-monthly? Between projects and such, even a month might be pushing it for some. That and I like not making it a competition. More often than not, Conceptart, the winners are the most popular, versus what is the best work.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I like it. Though what about bi-monthly? Between projects and such, even a month might be pushing it for some. That and I like not making it a competition. More often than not, Conceptart, the winners are the most popular, versus what is the best work.

Yes bi-monthly, not bi-weekly is what i meant. TWO WEEKS IS WHAT I MEANT =D
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxy:
    this isnt suposed to be a competition. THis is suposed to be knowledge sharing.
    its like EQ said. its like a how you model dem shapes kinda thing... but you dont post questions. you do shit.. and learn from others how to model the same thing. you kow.. ending loops, terminating edges. all that jazz.

i sometimes recorded my modeling sessions and share it to some friensd, and its interesting to see their approach, sometimes diferent than mine.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I like the direction idea is going.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Let's say the theme was modeling a robot, from concept, to low poly block, to sculpt, to high poly details non sculpt details like rivets, to bake, to texture, to rig. Maybe even more steps, like separate texture maps.

For the first stage, everyone is welcome, and showing their workflow. The best result moves on to the next stage, and the obj is given out. Everyone works off of that and once again best result moves on to the next, and everyone works off of that, etc.

Interesting or dumb?
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    ... i think we need to focus it to short, simple excersizes, not full on projects. Like model a portion of an engine, or a basketball shoe, or a cool door. Etc, things like that.

That's kinda what i was thinking to begin with. A full on project would be a bit too much.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    Let's say the theme was modeling a robot, from concept, to low poly block, to sculpt, to high poly details non sculpt details like rivets, to bake, to texture, to rig. Maybe even more steps, like separate texture maps.

For the first stage, everyone is welcome, and showing their workflow. The best result moves on to the next stage, and the obj is given out. Everyone works off of that and once again best result moves on to the next, and everyone works off of that, etc.

Interesting or dumb?

Yeah its a good idea, but i think it falls apart in software usage. Sub-d principals pretty much can translate from app to app, but once you get down to baking and texturing you get some major problems. Tangent space isssues, stuff rendering differently in other packages etc etc there would be no way to make sure everyone was really on the same page. I still think its something to consider tho.
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds like a great idea.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with EQ on his last wall of text! :)

The idea of making each session a stage in the entire process was the first thing that popped into my head when I started reading this. Good call!

Totally agree that it should be more of an advanced "how u model dem shapes" than any form of a competition.

now we just need a sexy name for this thing.................
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, EarthQuake makes a good point.....

Not sure how to go about splitting that up or whatever. (Max, Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, ect)
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    As for name - how about "Geometry Brawl" ? :D
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Should be great :) !

So basically every month everybody makes a tutorial on the same object ? Sounds like a plan. :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Great idea guys :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was catching up on some zzz´s but i see that everyone likes the idea and that makes me a happy panda. Good to hear that you had this idea too Earthquake and bitmap. so far everything sounds good in this thread...

especially the non competition part. We have enough of those.

Rock hard admin-boys and hook us up! hehe. My job here is done. P.I.G awaaaay! :)
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we do actually do this, Can we Texture/Normal map the objects too, Also can we do it in like a 'Pdf' or 'Video', Theres some questions to think about ;)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imho we should do everything from model to sculpt to texture. Maybe not every time but most of the time.

I think videos, screenshots, pdf and anything else you wish would be good enough... as long as it´s understood what you do. I wouldn´t want to record and edit a bunch of footage for example. Don´t have the harddrive for it *shame* :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    could also supply source files as examples, and notate them in a text file to supplement the text.

Thinking for a texture type workflow, you'd need to show progress of the starting point, goals of the piece, reference material, and then progress. To wrap it all up, having that psd available to thumb through, that had all the layers labeled, etc could be useful.

the one thing i think the idea of this should stray away from however are videos. Video tutorials are nice, but seem to be a bit much.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds quite good!
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i'm in.
    i'd say keep the projects rather small. if this requires too much time to do, i would honestly prefer spending that time working on personal stuff.
    videos are nice, let people do videos if they want and i will gladly watch them, but i'd say it's not a must. one thing i am personally worried about is hosting. my webspace and traffic is very limited. this is a bit different than posting just a few wip and final shots of a project. but then again there is always services like rapidshare.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    sounds like a great idea, i would also say that splitting exercises into small chunks and sharing assets in-between would also be great.

could be set-up like the concept tag, eg

highpoly(?)-texture(?)-render(?)-finishedpeice (by ?,?,?)
    highpoly(?)-texture(?)-render(?)-finishedpeice (by ?,?,?)
    lowpoly(?)-texture(?)-render(?)-finishedpeice (by ?,?,?)
    concept (?)- blockout(?)- highpoly(?)- lowpoly(?)-texture(?)-render(?)-finishedpeice (by ?,?,?,? and?)
    blockout(?)- highpoly(?)- lowpoly(?)-texture(?)-render(?)-finishedpeice (by ?,?,?,? and?)
    highpoly(?)- lowpoly(?)-texture(?)-render(?)-finishedpeice (by ?,?,?,? and?)
    lowpoly(?)-texture(?)-render(?)-finishedpeice (by ?,?,?,? and?)
    texture(?)-render(?)-finishedpeice (by ?,?,?,? and?)
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds interesting. deffo keep the items simplish imo, no huge projects.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Great idea, definitely not a competition, and everyone can share assets in a help the community vibe. I also agree with the separation of stages, it'd be too much to use each .obj that everyone has made to progress, although they should be available to those that want to take a look. If industry artists could be the topic choice choosers that'd be great, you know more about feasibility than those who aren't there yet.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah this sounds really fun! I'd be up for it.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    if everyone shared there assets after each stage, you would be able to look at the all and see whos worked best for you then look at the workflow for that stage to help you in the future

of cause natural selection would mean that most assets would be dropped along the way, but i imagine it would be a good way to help noobs and pros alike, and maybe a good way of un-learning those bad habits.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i would definitely do this, great idea
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great :), But if you say simple objects ? Maybe it could be done in category, Like:
    Prop/Assets>Weapons>Characters>Enviroments... This is going to be ace :D
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I think we should also add in simple things like lighting. I have seen some good looking props get destroyed by horrible light set ups :(

I think this would be a great idea though. There's a lot of people here with tons of knowledge that I'm sure is just waiting to be shared haha
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    if its possible to do a workship with it you can do whatever you want with it if you mention that you didnt do the basemesh
    i kind of want to see what people do with this kind of source
    (its danny)
    http://www.blitzforum.de/upload/file.php?id=5776
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    could also be neat if it was setup so the focus was on a work flow, rather than a specific object. that way you not only get to see how different artists tackles certain work flows (lets say normal baking for example) but also how it applies to different assets (organics, in-organics)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Feckin great idea. Kudos P.I.G.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww gee shucks. It´s good to see so many of you liking the idea. Makes me think i´m not always full of shit. :)

I´d think a door / gate / entryway of some sort as a first would be cool but it´s down to the mods. I´d also be interested in learning how to make heads and hands. I have zero knowledge of characters.

I´m a prop/enviro artist proffesionally so some organic stuff would be nice (the more you know). How about one organic topic and one other hardsurface/prop topic? I know most of you are character junkies but it´s important to not shun us enviro people.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey pig, say hello to marco leal for me:P
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh. You know him. Cool. He sits pretty close to me. He´s part of the cool gang even though he is only doing rocks right now. ;D
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    yeah I think bitmap could very well do something since he usually just sits on his ass and does nothing all day. ;P

ps: do not underestimate the power of rocks.