Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Post. . .

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
Howdy. I would like your guys input on this subway entrance I created. I would like to get better and hopefully one day get a job somewhere once I graduate school so anything you guys say really really helps.
beckmann_subwayentrance.jpg

This is the original Concept.

410990892_f4bd840abf.jpg

My design is taken off a schematics I found off the Internet and is a little bit smaller and thinner. Also I took some tiiiiny liberties on the design. .

Once Again, thanks again for spending even the time to look at my stuff. <33

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    This came out great man gj.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Will, You are a prince.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Cool digs dude!

You deffently followed your reference very loosely. As there is quite bit that you did not stick too; mostly proportions.
    Good work though, I think it came out well. Good bake, diffuse and modeling. Did you do any crazy high poly modeling for this, or anything? If so, post it! Some higher res close ups would be nice next time too, just to get a closer look at your textures.

props!:thumbup:
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    grime it up a bit and it will look just like some art ive seen in the recent infamous. nice work. well done. my only real crits are maybe a higher res image so we can really enjoy it and possibly a little more aged? personal pref i think though. nice work!

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikezoo. When I get home I can post some better shots. I got this one with me though, It might be a little too small rez. If So I will up a bigger screengrab.

This is a shot of my hipoly roof.

beckmann_kiosk_wip2.jpgAnd These are the Schematics I used to model. They are kinda small, but it's the best I can do.
    photo_kiosk.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    looks great...seems like everyone's using marmoset now, its like the official game model rendering software of polycount
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha. Marmasot is awesome. Mostly cause I don't know how to use Unreal 3, or Cryengine or anything like that. I know Unreal 2004! But quite frankly I don't know if anyone is posting screenshots from that anymore. . .
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    yeah probably not...those are the 3 of the most common n popular that im seeing tho...cant go wrong with either I say as long as you know what you're doing
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Eric!! That kiosk turned out really good dude. I still think you should have some color variations in it, but I love it anyways. Welcome to PC, about time! :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Good prop man. Well executed. It's super glean, grit it up like gears of war style just for fun. Like Diwan said add color variation. You already explained to me your process for texturing this and I think that you could have had way more fun with it. You've relied on your normal map and AO bake for what seems to be about 90% of the actual "texturing", try to find interesting ways to take risks and add your own artistic touch to things like this to really sell it as your own. Tell a story with it. Right now it just says "hi, I'm a thing" make it say "hi, im a thing that's in this place and has had people like so and so around me doing this and such" know what i meanzz??

so now that you're making decent art can you stop writing totally homo love songs and putting them on facebook? lulz
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how you did the roof dude and like I said in class, Great Job and just grunge it up a little bit more.
  • Steveo53
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks really nice! followed the reference very closely, well done
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Your work is bad and you should feel bad....

Naw. Just playing. About time you put some of this stuff on PC. Turned out great man. You going to post your other projects?

Anyways... keep up the good work bud.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone asked about how I did the roof, I think. . if not oh well. Ha. I saw Kevin Johnstone talking how he does some of his super ridiculous hi poly stuff, and how he just makes a sort of. . "sheet" of super detailed stuff. Then with that he just curves the flat model to fit into whatever shape he pleases.

I did the same theory but in Maya uses animation tools like Bend. If I need a little more control on a simpler mesh I would just bind the object with bones.

roof_process_1.jpgroof_process_3.jpg

Thats really the only method I know of using Maya. . .if anyone has anything better/quicker/easier/sexier I would love to know! I'm still learning. Anyways. here are some better shots I just took of my model in Marmoset.
    roof_process_4.jpgroof_process_5.jpgroof_process_6.jpg

Once again thank you for the quick replies and critiques. I'm going to get on this fixing it in about 2 weeks (once finals are done), I can't imagine I need to do too much more. my oooooonly concern is I don't really know what else I can do to grunge it up without looking obnoxious. . Personally I never liked grafitti on my models. . maybe I'm too attached to them, haha. I could add some posters! Maybe more dirt. I didn't see too much rust in my references . Any ideas, adam? You're the badass now with a studio job. . . </jealousy>

Haha. Thanks! Any more questions or renders ask and I will post!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Great base dude, but as others have noted it lacks a bit in character. You've got the hard work done, now how do you take it up that last notch to make it interesting to look into and study once the viewer knows it's a tunnel entrance?

I dig the bird sh*t at the top, it adds character, but as a portfolio piece, you want to put it in areas you'll see in your best render angles.

A few "tags" on the windows, done with a magic marker or something does wonders to make something look lived in. Sure it's overdone, but it's overdone because it works.

Just an idea, maybe put a half cleaned window and a bucket and sponge next to it? Put some bird sh*t on the other windows?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Very smart technique!

Like most have said just grundge it up it's coming along great, the what would be windows on the top of this structure look as if they have a tinted tan or brown highlight to them add that and see how it looks.

Add metal scratches chipped paint <so it's more noticable, little more faded paint, maybe if it's not too much trouble some broken or cracked window panes.

GJ.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    I would say, accent edges, with wear and tear, some water damage or scratches. Then also from the bottom of the asset have dirt build up around there.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh.. I think I understand a bit better now. Now looking at it more and more after everyone's thought I totally understand that it needs more grunge. I think I just followed the photos too closely, cause those babies are cleaned every once in a while, but whats the fun in reproducing pure reality?

Crazyfingers: Love the bucket idea. I totally have room on my UVlayout to make a bucket and rag. I think I will try that out and see what I can do. And I can probably chip the paint underneath the windows, where people would lean against, along with some taggage. Once I'm done with school (2 weeks) I will get back on this. I would really like to use this in a portfolio.

Thanks again, everyone!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is begging for some gold trim