Home General Discussion

Spacemarine..Relic why are you so awesome!

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if he can move his arms from that position.

Australia is getting to be in a really bad way when it comes to triple A titles, in fact anything beyond bland licensed games. Pandemic is gone, THQOZ lost Space Marine, several of the other major developers are rumoured to be at death's door... Pretty soon it's going to be nothing but ponies from here to christmas.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    spacemarine.jpg

That kicks ass.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    gir, canon changes. they aren't 'raping' the lore any more than like, ghost recon is 'raping' reality, or doom3 'raped' doom, or tf2...

seriously dude, just because the books are one way and the miniatures are another way doesn't mean EVERYTHING WITH THE WARHAMMER NAME ON IT, EVER, has to follow your nerd rage idea of correct. it's fiction. The people who author and arbitrate this fiction authorized these products.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Case in point: star wars episode one. and two. and three.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, game over. Slum wins.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched this and pranced around the office. God dam Relic knows how to nail a 40k game.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I have no idea what the hell's going on in this thread, what the deal is with the retarded bitching and I know exactly zero about Warhammer, but that game looks sweet. I may have to get a 360 some time in the future with all the damn cool games that are on it now and coming out on it soon.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    dejawolf wrote: »
    changed my mind, my shooting rampage will be in your town.
    reading the forums you know, retard.

as for space marines, it looks pretty meh. not enough violence, and too linear.
    TF2 owns it.

oh and gir, it's on.
    How the hell can you say it looks linear from that trailer? Get a grip on yourself goddammit. You´re crazy! CRAZY!

It probably is linear though but meh. Those games are usually the best (in my opinion, more focused). Now we just have to wait for release. ;)
  • bahamutnemesis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bahamutnemesis polycounter lvl 11
    THQ gives the project to relic after some vaguely named australian developers made the crap out of it with the "leaked" video on Youtube (Cinemaction yeah).
    Maybe, they build a fast prototype with orks model from Dawn of War 2 to decrease the cost of the proto or even the cost of the game. If they can focus themselves on the Gameplay, storytelling and campaign, I have nothing to say about it.

At least it' seems quite interesting, isn't it ?
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this comes out for PC it's on my must buy list. Now back to masturbating to that trailer->
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THQ gives the project to relic after some vaguely named australian developers made the crap out of it with the "leaked" video on Youtube (Cinemaction yeah).
    Maybe, they build a fast prototype with orks model from Dawn of War 2 to decrease the cost of the proto or even the cost of the game. If they can focus themselves on the Gameplay, storytelling and campaign, I have nothing to say about it.

At least it' seems quite interesting, isn't it ?
    THQ Australia isn't such a vague name, is it? Give them a break, it was an unfinished, unpolished video that was never meant to be seen by anyone outside THQHQ. If nothing else they created some neat new memes to throw around. That's gotta be worth something, right?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dusty wrote: »
    I watched this and pranced around the office. God dam Relic knows how to nail a 40k game.

We are making a 40k game too and it looks much cooler...
    If this comes out for PC it's on my must buy list. Now back to masturbating to that trailer->

I hope people masturbate to our trailer.

No but really, before working on a 40k game, I had no Idea how much lore and cannon there was, and just how devoted the fans are. We have 2 hard HARD core 40k lore guys here and they sort of help us get shit right so games workshop is usually Pretty damn impressed with what we show them.
    When I first got to vigil I would take home codexes and read them before bed. Right now I am going through a book called the "Liber Chaotica Complete " and taking in all the crazy lore about the individual Chaos Gods. It's a really rich world that I feel hasn't really hit the Mainstream yet.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yaah! :P thanks Josh_Singh!

Im just doing a little fan art myself.

wipTerminator.jpg

Cheated a little bit on the helmet.(paintover but im changing it quite a bit) :P
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Josh, I'll be jackin' it :P There are so many facets of the Warhammer 40K universe that can be explored, so I'm really interested to see where you guys are taking it :D I'm an old Necromunda fan, so I've always been more interested in the details of the worlds, on an individual level, rather than commanding entire armies like the regular WH40K ruleset.

It's interesting to think about how people can distinguish themselves in such a huge universe, where people die by the millions for the Emperor :D
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I know one thing is certain: Ted is gonna luv this game!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yaah! :P thanks Josh_Singh!

Im just doing a little fan art myself.

wipTerminator.jpg

Cheated a little bit on the helmet.(paintover but im changing it quite a bit) :P

why a single bolter? tactical dred armour = storm bolter son, why use 1 shot when you can have 2?!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I wonder if this is going to be released for the pc. It would be awesome if it did.

/edit heh, the astartes who takes his helmet off in the video is identical to Randy Couture from the UFC. After Chuck Liddell in L4D, now "the Natural" makes an appearance in videogames, nice.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Apples & Oranges, Josh :)

Comments on the Ork models, yet the Space Marine models weren't mentioned at all. Go watch the trailer again ;)
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    How the hell can you say it looks linear from that trailer? Get a grip on yourself goddammit. You´re crazy! CRAZY!
    Yeah, seriously... How was that trailer any indication on linearity? And why on earth has "linear" seem to become taboo lately? I've seen so many interviews with developers and viewers sending questions where the interviewee suddenly goes "Linear?! Oh! Umm... You do progress from chapter to chapter but... you can definitely pick from a lot of routes in each area, and the variety of weapons, skills an enemies really gives you a lot of free reign to do what you want..."

He really wants to say, yes, it's a linear game, because linear is a good thing. But if he does say that, everyone else is going to go "Oh, boo! Hiss! Your game isn't open world, I'm not gonna buy it now!"

I saw that happen both with Mirror's Edge and Bionic Commando. Why is linearity suddenly a bad word?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, fog your non-linearity. I want cool shit to be happening every step of the way while I follow a great story. If it's cool enough and the story is compelling enough, I'll play it again even if I saw every single scripted sequence the first time through.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i'm not talking GTA non-linear.
    but i prefer semi-linear with multiple approaches to a fight, over railroad linear.
    like, if there's a building to the left of me, i want to get up on the second floor of that building,
    and start shooting from the windows, because it gives extra cover, and makes it harder for the enemy to figure where the fire is coming from, instead of trailblazing down a single alley pressing A to kill. that just feels more like work than fun.
    and i want to flank the enemy. mix things up a bit.
    COD4 was awesome because of that. it was linear, but not railroad linear, and it always managed to surprise with enemy positions, as well as giving you things like "there's a door there, enemies could come through it" and they did.

from what i've see of the trailer, this one looks like a "walk to killing area. kill all bad guys.
    loot. level up. walk to next killing area." all set to really cool graphics which is hard to enjoy because you're bored out of your skull playing the game.

can you seriously say the game will be über, when the best the game designers can come up with, is slow-motion cut-scenes when you kill stuff? and they're so proud of that, they give it their own name?
    didn't brothers in arms: hells highway already do that, but with awesome disintegrating bodies flying through the air?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    deja - you literally know nothing of the game beyond the trailer. Stop assuming. It'll be fun. Trust.

:)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    deja - you literally know nothing of the game beyond the trailer. Stop assuming. It'll be fun. Trust.

agreed, you keep referring to the canceled Space Marines project:
    "a post on Relic's boards says that this title is not the same game that was leaked in that video from last year. That clip was "for an action title Studio Aus was working on. This is a totally different project, though it does share the same name as the leaked video used."
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    GW can't even follow their own lore, so I really can forgive Relic if everything is not perfectly aligned with current 40K canon.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    It's a really rich world that I feel hasn't really hit the Mainstream yet.
    It did a while back, but people accidentally called it StarCraft for some reason. *shrug*
  • LoJack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoJack polycounter lvl 12
    ...sooo, lets say a person was interested by this and wanted to pick up a good 40k book, where should they start?.. :)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    COD4 was awesome because of that. it was linear, but not railroad linear, and it always managed to surprise with enemy positions, as well as giving you things like "there's a door there, enemies could come through it" and they did.

What? COD4 is an incredibly linear experience. IW are the kings of presenting a linear experience and making it seem unscripted though. You only start recognizing how you're being led and controlled in subsequent playthroughs.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoJack wrote: »
    ...sooo, lets say a person was interested by this and wanted to pick up a good 40k book, where should they start?.. :)

I thought "Let the Galaxy Burn" was pretty good, a bunch of short stories set in the 40k universe. Just have to warn you, like D&D or Starwars books they can be a bit cheesey.
  • LoJack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool cool, I'll try to check that out, and don't you worry, i love me some cheese :D thanks mano
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I picked up the Space Wolf Omnibus, It's cheezy macho Fantasy, but allright.

Oh and if Brome is working on this game, Im pretty sure the environments will rock :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That and the space wolves are the most bad ass of the space marines.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fixed
    That and the Blood Angels are the most bad ass of the space marines.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »

oh ok. i'll wait and see then :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    fixed

you mean Dark Angels, right?

anywho, novel wise, the Herasy set is quite good, and it's a great starting point if you want to know the history of the imperium not just current events.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glib wrote: »
    What? COD4 is an incredibly linear experience. IW are the kings of presenting a linear experience and making it seem unscripted though. You only start recognizing how you're being led and controlled in subsequent playthroughs.

its less linear than GOW2. that thing was shooting gallery linear.
    and the "choose which railroad path you want to take" didn't help much either in delineating the whole experience.
    of course you're being carroted off in COD4, and its scripted and all that.
    but its so cleverly done, and some of the levels you can approach from different ways, like the iraq missions. i played through that thing 3 times, and it still felt like i hadn't done it in all the ways it could be done.
    i mean, that part in the office is just epic. the first time you go in there, you have absolutely no idea where you're supposed to go, and everyone is shooting at you.
    i must have tried 7 different approaches before i found a way to do it right.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not a war lore nut or anything but even though I found the blood and dark angels more interesting, I thought that the ultra marines were suppose to be the most badass guys around.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Horus Heresy was pretty good, especially Horus Raising by Dan Abnett. It was about the end of the great crusade and the civil war that erupted within the space marines.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorry, but the Emperor's Children are the most kick ass awesome space doods around. Chaos bound, drug crazed lust junkies with sound guns are way cooler than smurfs. Also, what other chapter would have a biker going down a coke mountain?

Doomrider.jpg
  • LoJack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, i have a pretty good list of places to start with now. thanks yall
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I just have to chip in; I love the Warhammer 40K universe, but the only novels I've been able to get into are the ones written by Dan Abnett. I really loved the Eisenhorn trilogy, as well as his others.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10

The entire Horus Hersey series. Start from the beginning (Horus Rising). Most epic reading material ever created...
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    cochtl wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the Emperor's Children are the most kick ass awesome space doods around. Chaos bound, drug crazed lust junkies with sound guns are way cooler than smurfs. Also, what other chapter would have a biker going down a coke mountain?

Hahaha this drawing is severely awesome! That said, Space Wolves = most badass chapter evah.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'm not a war lore nut or anything but even though I found the blood and dark angels more interesting, I thought that the ultra marines were suppose to be the most badass guys around.

nah, their primarch, Roboute Guilliman was a fag. and while he had some good ideas, and their imagery is clearly roman-ish. HE was clearly french, and therefore not as cool as Sanguinius of the blood angels, who could fly, or Lion El Johnson of the dark angels, whos origins were based on Mowgli. Leman Russ of the space wolves has a friggin TANK named after him for being so badass.

basically, the ultramarines are the BIGGEST chapter, in that they accept just about anyone into their ranks, their chapter has spawned the most child chapters, because of the codex their primarch created which states each chapter can have no more than 1000 marines, effectively taking away the power of the individual marine legions. being the biggest technically makes them more powerful, you can find ultramarines everywhere. but it doesn't make them "better".

Dark Angels are the most anal about who they let into their chapter, very secretive, their main concern is the hunt for the fallen angels. Half their legion turned to chaos during the herresy, the remaining marines only mission in life is to hunt them, and make them repent, or die. They are so anal about this that during the last battle for Armageddon, where there was the biggest ork invasion known to mankind. there was a rumour that a fallen angel was on a nearby planet, so the dark angels said "see ya" and went after him.

bored of typing now.... but blood angels and space wolves are equally badass as dark angels.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    You do all know that the Dark Angels and their Primarch are named after The Dark Angel, a poem by Lionel Johnson about his repressed homosexuality, right? Badass? Not so much.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aren't the models the same until you paint them?
    Why is the #1 slam on other chapters "because they're gay". Aren't they all on the same side more or less (with the exception of chaos).

Who really cares which flavor of chocolate is better, just enjoy the ice cream.

If this thread had a point its been lost...
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think of them as football teams Vig and us as football hooligans. Don´t you go saying they are all the same. ;)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    milk chocolate is such a fag
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Aren't the models the same until you paint them?
    Why is the #1 slam on other chapters "because they're gay". Aren't they all on the same side more or less (with the exception of chaos).

Who really cares which flavor of chocolate is better, just enjoy the ice cream.

If this thread had a point its been lost...

I think it's just good natured ribbing. I played Blood Angels in college and I kind of wish I just started with Ultramarines because all the special extra rules made it a little harder to learn.

On a side note, I'd kind of like to see an Imperial Guard game done in the Call of Duty style
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    an Imperial Guard game done in the Call of Duty style

That is EXACTLY what I want. It would be the most awesome warhammer 40k game in existance. *passes out*