Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cover Art Dump

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    rawsies paintover has some dope things that add some nice breakup, the larger cracks, as well as some big wide horizontal layers really make it look nice, try to add those things.

when painting rocks like these focus on getting down the huge forms with crisp bold strokes, right now it looks a little too evenly detailed all over and nothign is pushed to an exteme.also, having some crash through outcrops will help break up the repetion too.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    rawsies paintover has some dope things that add some nice breakup, the larger cracks, as well as some big wide horizontal layers really make it look nice, try to add those things.

when painting rocks like these focus on getting down the huge forms with crisp bold strokes, right now it looks a little too evenly detailed all over and nothign is pushed to an exteme.also, having some crash through outcrops will help break up the repetion too.

hey pixel masher thanks for the input i tried rawsies wide horizontal line but when i put it in it looked really bad with the way i'm doing my modular stuff.

like the granite slabs i sell at my work everyday horizontal lines look good in portions where your not using alot of space but because the rocks are modular it looks really bad when there a bunch of them.

ill give the bigger cracks a shot though and can you explain a crash though to me im not sure what that mean?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey ae, what raw did to the rocks (variation in colour which in turn creates the illusion of various edges) I really like, and i think you should try and replicate that. Right now the rocks just seem way to flat (texture wise) and maybe create some circular pieces as well, everything is so straight and monotonous (not the rock shapes, but the formations).

I think you should push this as much as you can since this is your little baby :) You want it to be the best it can be :)

Keep it up man!

Edit: Doh! Didn't see the third page yet, Pixel said exactly what i was thinking :) So nm :P

Character is looking really sick, you guys are coming along nicely.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    why not decal or vertex colour those horizontal lines in.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    coverwip14.jpg

im not really feeling it so im up for suggestions :)

also im working on a dirt texture decal to put over the grass.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    hey guys been messing around in ut3 and when trying to bake my lighting ut3 crashes there s two seperate errors the first one when I go build all it crashes and the second if i try to play in editor.

just realised im getting that Kernall error like i did before how do i fix that again? gotta dig and see where the solution is.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it
    i think the frequency of detail need to be addressed in that wall, i would create a new comonent which is much flatter and plainer that you can insert here and there to break it up a little

edit- whay do you have cracks on the corners, try making them lighter instead
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    I like it
    i think the frequency of detail need to be addressed in that wall, i would create a new comonent which is much flatter and plainer that you can insert here and there to break it up a little

edit- whay do you have cracks on the corners, try making them lighter instead

thanks for the crits man will damper the edge cracks.

im gonna move on a little and come back to the rocks with some fresh eyes.

:thumbup:

anyone know of any good water tutorials for UE3 explaing how to make your own water? cause i want the water to look cartoony :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    anyone know what this error pertains too? i get it whenever i switch to lit mode?

Rendering thread exception:
    Assertion failed: ElementIndex < Parameter.GetNumResources() [File:c:\depot\unrealengine3-ut3-pc\development\src\engine\inc\ShaderManager.h] [Line: 168]

Stack:

RaiseException() Address = 0x7603f328 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll]
    CxxThrowException() Address = 0x73f88e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.3053_none_d08d7bba442a9b36\MSVCR80.dll]
    Address = 0xbb4f92 (filename not found) [in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\Binaries\ut3.exe]
    Address = 0xe873fe4c (filename not found)

RaiseException() Address = 0x7603f328 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll]
    CxxThrowException() Address = 0x73f88e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.3053_none_d08d7bba442a9b36\MSVCR80.dll]
    Address = 0xbb4f92 (filename not found) [in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\Binaries\ut3.exe]
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ew...does this happens within the editor? (Like it loads properly).

All I can really say (Whenever I see that kernel32.dll) I usually backup everything in my Unreal folder (where your custom maps are stored) and then delete contents within the UTGame folder. So for example I would go here : My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame then delete whatever is in that folder, and restart the Unreal Editor, let it build all those paths again, and then put your work back in.

Only thing is... I don't think this "fix" has anything to do with your issue... sounds like maybe one of the shader files got damaged? Maybe good it up and see what others have to say.

Good luck AE.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    yeah tried that fix didnt work guess il just restart the map, didnt do too much anyways :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    hourences site has good water tuts
    but it's largely easy, a few different directions on multiple panning layers, then a cubemap for reflections distorted, and throw in whatever you want on top of that
    I think you could do some nice water like wind waker maybe?
    depends if you want a dirty mass of unlit translucencys or opaque materials.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wind waker two layers of cartoon water with tight fresnel based simplified reflections might look cool

In unreal is it possible to reflect different models to that above the water? anyone know, cos if so reducing the land masses to single colour distorted shapes could look sweet

always look forward to seeing how people attack these things
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Cover_rhino_wip_02.jpg

Had some time to start some zbrush today. Still a fair way to go before I start putting the details and stuff in.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looking pretty cool so far Massbot!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    looking awesome massbot sorry i couldn't catch you today on MSN busy with my mommy :P

I got some work done on some simple props, but will have an update on one of my set pieces tomorrow hopefully.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    wind waker two layers of cartoon water with tight fresnel based simplified reflections might look cool

In unreal is it possible to reflect different models to that above the water? anyone know, cos if so reducing the land masses to single colour distorted shapes could look sweet

always look forward to seeing how people attack these things
    'cheapest' way is to double the mesh up with a copy, take that copy and flip it so its under water, then mat swap it with custom reflection mat

Still means you've got translucent water( :( ) but you don't take the hit of scenecaptures

but you could use a scenerender actor, and use a different pp material on it to force simple colours etc if you wanted to throw performance to the wind.

ae, I am looking forward to this coming together man, don't think I've said yet! I like the rocks, the change of direction was impressive
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all depends on if you ever need to go under water or if the water geometry moves at all i guess, as either of those rules out duplicate geometry tomfoolery
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toggle hidden, water trigger volume, surely?
    As for if the water moves up, or down, etc, that's a little more complex, yeah
    But yeah theres always a way I suppose. Been trying to figure out GTA 4's water for ages :P
    thus ends my offtopicness because that sculpted rhino is the tits, very solid
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the tip on the water guys hopefully i can make something decent :)

cant wait to get home and start work :P
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    really tired from work today didnt have alot of power to work on this but designed and did a blockout of a level prop i wanted in my level :)

coverwip16-1.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    some modular assets i made today :) gonna throw these ingame tommorow and work on the map more:

coverwip17.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Love the wood. <-That's what she said.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Cody wrote: »
    Love the wood. <-That's what she said.

thanks man, I was fighting the urge to over complicate the texture with too much detail, I ended up drawing in a subtle wood grain.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yea dude im liking that wood also :> keep it up!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daammnnn... that reads very very well man, nice job!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Im glad you like it, hope to churn more props out tonight and tommorow. Hopefully I will have a big updat over the may Long weekend.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good ae! When you get to work on the truck thing make sure to carry over the style you have in the drawing. That slight bubble effect on the cabin really makes it interesting, in the blockout its just kinda a tappered block. Looking forward to updates.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for the crit nrek :)

anyways more hand painting wich im kinda getting used too now, this is going to blend into the grass texture.

coverwip18.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Gonna have a bunch of buildings over shadowing the main play area, also have those big red pipes! contaminating the water.

where the water is there will be docks with alot of houses to jump up on.

coverwip19.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    The floating platforms look really repetitive but don't worry ill be adding alot of junk to break it up also gonna add different style platforms here and there. the levels coming together now hope to have alot of progress over the weekend.
    coverwip21.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    have not had much time to work on this due to work but change up the level floor plan a little.

the map basically plays like blood gulch from the first halo but with control points.

im gonna dedicate the next 2 weeks to getting the props done for the map i have a few in the works and a bunch i have yet to put down into the map.

coverwip22.jpg
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not really feeling the grass. It looks like the mud and stones have been dyed green. I think more stylised chunks and patches of grass, matching with style of the previous rocks would work nicer.

Liking the wood work!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Massbot wrote: »
    not really feeling the grass. It looks like the mud and stones have been dyed green. I think more stylised chunks and patches of grass, matching with style of the previous rocks would work nicer.

Liking the wood work!

totally agree with you on the grass, gotta refine it more! :thumbup:
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    hey not bad, I can see a lot of Airborn in this. Can I ask how the water was done? and is this unreal?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for the compliment Airborn is a beautiful mod!

The only thing i didn't make is the water i just changed a few of the properties and color of the water using some sneaky post processing :P

and yes this is unreal.

the thing right now is trying to fill up the space. its kinda bare bones right now. been spending alot of time trying to make good game play rather than making a good looking level hopefully it wont bite me in the ass in the end.

Any crits would be great i know the updates look the same, but any suggestion on what to add take away and improve upon would be awesome to get.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I think the red pipes on the concrete wall are poping too much. Before when they were just in the mountains/over the grass it worked to bring the eye back to those mountains.

Right now it just locks my eyes in on that big, boring concrete wall.

Looking very nice otherwise.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm well not sure what your overall purpose is, dont mean to be a douche and not read the entire thread but the space you created so far seems to be begging for a focal point and some interest. Some prominent building or buildings would be nice as a center piece
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also I would tone down a lot of the colours....looks too contrasty in my opinion. A lot of the values seem to be competing with each other instead of working...i know its still early but in the end I believe trying to unify the color scheme will make a huge difference. Also I would get rid of that bloom/glow on the wood stub thing, it looks unnatural even for a stylized world
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    took time and looked over the overall design of the game i realised alot of nagging issues so all day today i spent time on a new map focusing more on platforming and vertical combat.

so far its coming out good excuse the lights and grass still have not worked on them.

i like the overall design so far hope to flesh it out more.

coverwip23.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin good man, I like the new platforms you have running around the edge of the map. The grass is looking better now that it has less of the mud randomly mixed in. I would say add some mud around the base of the buildings and where the water meets the shore. Keep up the good work.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    hey thanks man also does anyone know how to get better AA in the viewport?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apparently ue3 doesnt support AA. I just found out because ive been trying to do the same thing....with dx10 you can force it with decent results, dont know if this would have any impact on the editor. With dx9 there is a work around where u rename unreal.exe to bioshock.exe and then set the AA to like 4x....dunno if this works tho, i havent tried it myself
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cover_rhino_wip_06.jpg

Here's a Wip low poly of the rhino.

Got the diffuse started and a basic spec. I think looking at AE's environment work so far, i'm going to have to change them a bit to make it fit better.

Dont have UE3 on me at the moment, so that's given me the chance to try out marmoset. Again i'm sure i'll probably have to tweak the textures to fit in UE3.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    massbot the rhino is looking ace cant wait for you to pose him with the gun :P

heres 2 updates:

Working on some set props right now, right now a truck finished the low working on the high hope to have it done by tommorow, then work on the texture and so on.

coverwip24.jpg

also did some more work on the map:

coverwip25.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Aside from the colors I like it, though I myself would prefer a more natural color scheme.

edit: shotgun you were right that was not so nice from me,- will keep that in mind.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    rnenderhjs - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341323
    keywords: objective, positive, constructive.

...and in that manner: purple shadows may benefit from a yellow light.

ur high-key colored scene does indeed need some balance. i think what's popping the red is the brightness, which (at least in the screenshot) reaches 100%. try rematching it with the green at 80% or so, make sure both value and color keys are consistent everywhere so the balance remains. you might also want to try going full monty with high-key blue mountains, less grey. maybe white clouds add a global relax factor.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    , some white clouds and maybe a sun in the sky is almost all you need, not sure how the props/ chars are gonna look in this though

paintover-7.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    it's bebop and rocksteady up in here
    (that being a good thing)

the truck is preposterously sick

edit: holy shit i really want to make bebop and rocksteady in lowpoly now
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message